PDA

View Full Version : Muley buck already shed his antlers.. Bow only for any buck. Legal?

winbuckhunter
12-03-2016, 10:22 PM
Was out for Muleys today. Had a decently mature buck at like 15 yards that had shed his antlers recently. Looking to fill the freezer, I would have put my tag on him in a heart beat if I knew if it was legal. I'm going to call tomorrow and find out for sure, but what's your guys' opinion?

(for clearification, I did not harvest this deer.) But it made me question if I could of If I wanted to. Couldn't reach anyone from wildlife management or from CO today. I'm going to ask, and get a definitive answer. Will share when I know.

CO says "not legal"

really didnt think it was

adriaticum
12-03-2016, 10:25 PM
I wouldn't do it.

butthead
12-03-2016, 10:28 PM
is there a antlerless mule deer season where this happened
do u have a doe leh?
you either shoot a antlered animal
or a antlerless

one-shot-wonder
12-03-2016, 10:28 PM
It's a "bucks" season not antlered deer season. 15 yards should be able to count the franks and beans at that range.....

bighornbob
12-03-2016, 10:39 PM
It's a "bucks" season not antlered deer season. 15 yards should be able to count the franks and beans at that range.....

Yah but it's 4point only right now. So with no antlers it's pretty hard to count points:lol:

Stone Sheep Steve
12-03-2016, 10:42 PM
Yah but it's 4point only right now. So with no antlers it's pretty hard to count points:lol:

Not here it isn't!

winbuckhunter
12-03-2016, 10:46 PM
its not 4pt only.. its a bow season for any buck

finngun
12-03-2016, 11:03 PM
yep,,let arrrow fly..if it is a boy:smile:

landphil
12-03-2016, 11:26 PM
Which notch you gonna cut on your tag? Antlered, or Antlerless?

BTW, I'm not giving an answer, only adding to the question.

landphil
12-03-2016, 11:44 PM
Read the definition of "Buck" in the regs, looks pretty clear to me at that point.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
12-03-2016, 11:56 PM
It's legal as you can transport the testes and unskinned tail with the meat as evidence of species/sex (see regs for further details, updated definition provided in the 2016-2018 Hunting & Trapping Synopsis). But only if there are no point restrictions in place which has been noted above as not being the case.

12-04-2016, 12:00 AM

The nodes antlers grow from are there as those don't fall off. The new tiny antlers are lil' nubs under there, plus ya got it's nuts so I'd cut antlerled if I were to take such a beast.

Great question!

hunter1947
12-04-2016, 06:34 AM
What your asking is a hard one in order to say yes or no to many things that might be a grey area,,,I would call the management or CO tell them what your plans are..

Stone Sheep Steve
12-04-2016, 07:11 AM
There was a story on here a couple years ago where a guy arrowed a nice whitetail buck and when he walked up to it both antlers had fallen off. Luckily he ended up finding both of them.
Had he not found them what tag would have had to cut? And if he had already shot a doe his
choice would have narrowed down to notching 'antlered'

notyalc
12-04-2016, 07:15 AM
Internet forums are the worst place to ask questions like this. If you are ever unsure or don't understand the regs in any way, call the CO's office to get clarification, or even better email them so you have a paper trail just in case. I've called the CO and emailed and they are always helpful and clear.

butthead
12-04-2016, 08:18 AM

my point exactly

finngun
12-04-2016, 09:58 AM
yep,,let arrrow fly..if it is a boy:smile:what is gray area here?:?: if ya know it is a boy...and no need to be 4point or better,,it is legal to eat..;)

mark
12-04-2016, 10:07 AM
yep,,let arrrow fly..if it is a boy:smile:

So wrong, it's not buck season, it's either antlered or antler less!!!!

mark
12-04-2016, 10:10 AM
yep,,let arrrow fly..if it is a boy:smile:what is gray area here?:?: if ya know it is a boy...and no need to be 4point or better,,it is legal to eat..;)

Wow, the ignorance of hunters is unbelievable these days.

Looking_4_Jerky
12-04-2016, 10:14 AM
The season is for bucks. If you know it is one, I'd let the blades fly! On your license I'd cut antlerless, since it is.

It wouldn't be unlike shooting an antlered doe in a buck season, which is uncommon, but it happens occasionally. What would you cut? Personally, I'd cut my license as antlered, because it was!

finngun
12-04-2016, 10:18 AM
Hi mark..for my understanding so far...only male deer has antlers...if im wrong please correct me..thx...f.G:eek:
oh maybe deer today are transsexyal too..who knows world is chancing fast8-)

mark
12-04-2016, 10:22 AM
The season is for bucks. If you know it is one, I'd let the blades fly! On your license I'd cut antlerless, since it is.

It wouldn't be unlike shooting an antlered doe in a buck season, which is uncommon, but it happens occasionally. What would you cut? Personally, I'd cut my license as antlered, because it was!

Dude your so wrong, like many others here!!
Read the definition of a buck.
If its antler less it doesn't meet the definition of a buck!

finngun
12-04-2016, 10:28 AM
So..when buck drop his rack,,,he is not buck anymore? tell us mark...what heck he is anymore:mrgreen: so the balls dosn,t count?...i,m full of ears:roll:

Fred1
12-04-2016, 10:36 AM
The regs have it pretty simple. Read the definitions. Balls don't count.....

Looking_4_Jerky
12-04-2016, 10:54 AM

I think there is some interpretation in the situation. And of course, I'm not a C.O., so if one wanted to be more certain, checking with them would be the thing to do. Let's all just remember that questions on the forum are here for opinions to be expressed, not as official guidance of any sort.

I would almost be surprised if you got the same answer across the board for talking to several C.O.s. The intent of the regulation and the management objective is obviously to enable hunters to take a buck. But if guys start shooting bucks that have shed, inevitably does are going to start getting whacked in mis-identification situations. I would understand why they'd discourage the practice, as it will lead to trouble. But, from the perspective of being aligned with the management objectives, someone may chose to look at it more practically.

mark
12-04-2016, 11:03 AM
So..when buck drop his rack,,,he is not buck anymore? tell us mark...what heck he is anymore:mrgreen: so the balls dosn,t count?...i,m full of ears:roll:
This is about hunting, read the "hunting regulations" it's very simple
to answer your question, when a buck drops his antlers, he is no longer a buck by definition!!!

mark
12-04-2016, 11:06 AM
I'm personally disgusted that so many of you are so uneducated as hunters that yu even think this is a grey area???
very sad!

Wild one
12-04-2016, 11:11 AM
Read the definition of "Buck" in the regs, looks pretty clear to me at that point.

Yup it's in the regs just need to read them

Islandeer
12-04-2016, 11:14 AM
Why would you want to shoot a buck that had dropped, he's survived hunting season,free pass till next season.

mark
12-04-2016, 11:25 AM
Why would you want to shoot a buck that had dropped, he's survived hunting season,free pass till next season.
Especially when it's illegal!!!
So many people just have the "take,take,take" mentality, no wonder our deer herds are in such bad shape.

dellis
12-04-2016, 11:25 AM
This is about hunting, read the "hunting regulations" it's very simple
to answer your question, when a buck drops his antlers, he is no longer a buck by definition!!!

This is the correct answer. Definition of buck "one bearing visible boney antlers" so if he isn't bearing his antlers anymore, not a buck by definition.

Darcy

hunter1947
12-04-2016, 11:29 AM
What is a grey area in my books is say there is no open season for doe or LEH for mule deer the person shoots a buck without its antlers ,,the regs say any buck with antlers growth but this buck has no antlers on its head just balls will this be good enough for the co to say it's legal I know it's a buck but ???I know the regs say you can cut the head off for transportation from A to B as long as the sex is on the deer or the head left on the animal..

To tell everyone the truth I never have had to deal with something like this if it happened to me..

landphil
12-04-2016, 11:31 AM
Hi mark..for my understanding so far...only male deer has antlers...if im wrong please correct me..thx...f.G:eek:
oh maybe deer today are transsexyal too..who knows world is chancing fast8-)

I've heard of a few antlered does being shot over the years, pretty sure there was one or two posted here on HBC Since I've been a member. One would be wise to leave the head attached in those rare cases.

On the flip side of this, the late antlerless elk LEH seasons in 7B that run into February see most bulls dropping by then. Antlerless is antlerless, regardless of the undercarriage, as confirmed by the CO's office for this situation.

Fred1
I have to admit if I had been in the above mentioned situation I would have had to pass that deer. Only because I would have second guessed what I though I knew, no foul no harm. But a good question to ask. Sometimes it's "easier" to fire a question on the net before just lookin it up first. Kinda like when people answer with opinions rather than the facts or quoting the rules. In the end it's "your" responsibility to know and follow the rules. Just be careful where you get your info and the info you give...

mark
What is a grey area in my books is say there is no open season for doe or LEH the person shoots a buck without its antlers ,,the regs say any buck with antlers but this buck has no antlers on its head just balls will this be good enough for the co to say it's legal I know it's a buck but ???
Wayne, there is no grey area, read the definition of a buck, no antlers=no buck=not legal

.264winmag
12-04-2016, 11:35 AM
Here's a curveball.
Blew both antlers off a two point island bt years ago. Above Hwy buck only area but no antler restriction. I cut the antlered part of tag and left nuts on but antlers stayed behind. Was this wrong? Still a buck with no bones. What if the same arrow shot buck ran off only two knock its antlers off in the woods but you had the sheds? Who's to say when they fell off...

hunter1947
12-04-2016, 11:37 AM
Wayne, there is no grey area, read the definition of a buck, no antlers=no buck=not legal

Correct you are Mark and that's why i would not take a buck without its antlers on his head and that even if I saw the sex on the animal

wideopenthrottle
12-04-2016, 11:38 AM
Here's a curveball.
Blew both antlers off a two point island bt years ago. Above Hwy buck only area but no antler restriction. I cut the antlered part of tag and left nuts on but antlers stayed behind. Was this wrong? Still a buck with no bones. What if the same arrow shot buck ran off only two knock its antlers off in the woods but you had the sheds? Who's to say when they fell off...

all you needed was a stub of antler still 1 inch long after shooting them off or did they pop out at the roots

hunter1947
12-04-2016, 11:39 AM
Here's a curveball.

AS long as you had the antlers I say it's ok

landphil
12-04-2016, 11:40 AM
It's legal as you can transport the testes and unskinned tail with the meat as evidence of species/sex (see regs for further details, updated definition provided in the 2016-2018 Hunting & Trapping Synopsis). But only if there are no point restrictions in place which has been noted above as not being the case.
I agree you could certainly "get away" with transporting it home after removing the head and still meeting the transport requirements in the other ways, but I still firmly believe it is not legal to harvest since it no longer bears visible bony antlers, and therefore does not meet the legal definition of a buck, even though he still is a male deer.

curt
12-04-2016, 11:40 AM
sounds like we need a trans-gender deer season just to be safe!! :)

hunter1947
12-04-2016, 11:41 AM
sounds like we need a trans-gender deer season just to be safe!! :)

Yes I can see this..

Fred1
12-04-2016, 11:42 AM
Always going to be a few goofy scenarios possible. In those I would cya and bring all the required parts with the carcass. And then if you have to plead your case the CO has some better "clues" to base his decisions. I like to hunt and guide and don't want to put my privileges in jeopardy.

hunter1947
12-04-2016, 11:44 AM
When I see my friend the co I will ask him and see what he has to say just for my own notes I know that if me I would not shoot a deer in buck season without its antler on its head..

J_T
12-04-2016, 11:44 AM
No grey area. Bucks are defined as having visible bony antlers. Not balls between the legs. I've shot a doe with antlers. I believe the antlers must accompany the animal.

We hunt the late season, a couple of years ago, a nice buck had been coming through. He dropped his antlers on about the 4th day of the hunt. He was off the table in terms of him being a legal buck at that point.

Silent But Deadly
12-04-2016, 11:46 AM
Read the definition of buck

landphil
12-04-2016, 11:50 AM
Here's a curveball.

If it had antlers when you took the shot, then you shot a buck. I'd either bring the head AND sheds (especially in the case of a point restriction) along with a nut and tail attached, or leave the head behind in that case. Interesting discussion, not every situation is clear cut and simple. As for who's to say, how about you? Nothing wrong with honesty, right? ;)

finngun
12-04-2016, 12:14 PM
The regs have it pretty simple. Read the definitions. Balls don't count.....

Yes they do count...reg..page 20..////2 for deer..the unskinned tail and either a testicle (balls) or part of the penis..
why do they count here..but not shomwhere else:confused:..

Wild one
12-04-2016, 12:22 PM
Anyone debating this read definition of buck in the regs

yes as evidence of sex for transport all you need is genitals. Not the same issue

Fisher-Dude
12-04-2016, 12:28 PM
Some of you guys need to go sit on the shitter with a copy of the regs.

Buck or Bull - with reference to deer, moose
or elk means one bearing visible bony antlers,
but does not include a calf; with reference to
caribou means a male bearing visible bony
antlers, but does not include a calf.

Rhyno
12-04-2016, 12:34 PM
Anyone debating this read definition of buck in the regs

yes as evidence of sex for transport all you need is genitals. Not the same issue

I agree with this...I think people are confusing the two. In this case I am sure the OP could "get away" with it and say he left the head in the bush since evidence of sex was attached for transport, however it would have been an illegal kill.

finngun
12-04-2016, 12:39 PM
one bearing visible bony antlers,/////in that case if there only 1 rack left...another is shed already...ya not allowed to shoot it?because rules say --antlers....both...right?getting complicated..eh:?:hey im just going by the book:shock:

.264winmag
12-04-2016, 01:47 PM
all you needed was a stub of antler still 1 inch long after shooting them off or did they pop out at the roots
Both clean off at the skull, shot about 15ft str8 up and rattled together at top of flight. Pretty epic actually, but my partner was cursing me as I was in a cast on shooting arm and he ended up dragging it with no bones HA

elknut
12-04-2016, 02:00 PM
Some hunters that have posted on this thread are saying blast away ...But the Regulations state otherwise....In life we have rules and regulations people seem to not follow regulations..In this case the rules stated :..Bucks....Upon reading definition of " Bucks"..It is very clear ...Must have bony antlers ...So without antlers on that deers head he is for a facts ...Not a Buck !!!....Pretty simple ...Dennis

butthead
12-04-2016, 05:19 PM

Thank you for that

12-04-2016, 06:59 PM
http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/consol24/consol24/00_96488_01#section1

It's so important that the Synopsis is just that and is not used in a court of law. It's been mentioned many times right here on HBC... Anyrate, the Wildlife Act. Now check that link if you'd like, where's that definition everyone trollin' is basing their idea "definition" ? Post up!

To me the point of this thread is not for actual legal definition or a poll or some such, it's for fun hypothetical discussion. There was never a question to answer here - If I'd do it or not. It's interesting to see the way others have approached the thread.

Landphil you had a good point there. Course if ya skin back the top after, you'll see the next antlers already starting in there (when they get going some, just a lil, it pushes the big ones off). :mrgreen:

MOWITCH SLAYER
12-04-2016, 07:30 PM
Well this is one way to get hunters to look at their regs !! because im sure most never looked when the took their hunter training course !!

Big Hoss
12-04-2016, 07:35 PM
What Landphil says

finngun
12-04-2016, 07:49 PM
no choke lord wash.---the Synopsis is just that and is not used in a court of law. It's been mentioned many times right here on HBC.//.---maybe common sense prevail.:cool:

Fisher-Dude
12-04-2016, 08:46 PM
Straight out of the Wildlife Act - Hunting Regulation:

"buck" or "bull" with reference to deer, moose or elk means one bearing visible bony antlers, but does not include a calf;

http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/LOC/complete/statreg/--%20W%20--/21_Wildlife%20Act%20[RSBC%201996]%20c.%20488/05_Regulations/18_190_84%20-%20Hunting%20Regulation/190_84_01.xml#section1

Read the definitions, guys. It's the critical part that many don't seem to bother with.

HarryToolips
12-04-2016, 08:47 PM
Some of you guys need to go sit on the shitter with a copy of the regs.

Yup, there's too many folks out there it seems that don't read the regs, or not thoroughly enough...Mark has been right all along..

Keta1969
12-04-2016, 09:19 PM

When a buck drops his rack he's still a buck but he's not antlered anymore. The regs are very clear, don't know why some are having problems. Antlers are clearly the easiest way to ID a buck (yes I know there has been the odd case of a doe with antlers). Stop and think for a minute how many does would be shot by guys thinking they saw a pecker.

Sharpish
12-04-2016, 09:56 PM
When a buck drops his antlers he's still a MALE but not a buck in regards to hunting regulations. All bucks are males but not all males are bucks. That's why you can't shoot yearling males with nubs for antlers. Doesn't matter If it has balls. You can't shoot. So who is to say that deer is a big 4 point that dropped its rack or a yearling that hasn't grown a rack yet? Tough to tell from 200 yards. If it has horns that are an inch long, it's a buck.

GoatGuy
12-04-2016, 10:11 PM
Antlered or antlerless

landphil
12-04-2016, 10:12 PM
http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/consol24/consol24/00_96488_01#section1

It's so important that the Synopsis is just that and is not used in a court of law. It's been mentioned many times right here on HBC... Anyrate, the Wildlife Act. Now check that link if you'd like, where's that definition everyone trollin' is basing their idea "definition" ? Post up!

To me the point of this thread is not for actual legal definition or a poll or some such, it's for fun hypothetical discussion. There was never a question to answer here - If I'd do it or not. It's interesting to see the way others have approached the thread.

Landphil you had a good point there. Course if ya skin back the top after, you'll see the next antlers already starting in there (when they get going some, just a lil, it pushes the big ones off). :mrgreen:

http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/190_84_01

You are correct, the synopsis is just a rag for us commoners - but the wording used in the definition of "buck" is the same in the regulations linked above, regulations under the wildlife act you posted. Regulations that do hold up in a court of law, but you knew that, I'm pretty sure.

Those nubs growing for next season - well, if you gotta get out the skinning knife to find the "visible bony" it ain't really visible bony, is it? :mrgreen:

So my view on the subject remains unchanged.

.264winmag
12-04-2016, 10:22 PM
So if he had a antlerless tag he'd a been in the $;)

12-04-2016, 10:51 PM
http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/190_84_01

You are correct, the synopsis is just a rag for us commoners - but the wording used in the definition of "buck" is the same in the regulations linked above, regulations under the wildlife act you posted. Regulations that do hold up in a court of law, but you knew that, I'm pretty sure.

Those nubs growing for next season - well, if you gotta get out the skinning knife to find the "visible bony" it ain't really visible bony, is it? :mrgreen:

So my view on the subject remains unchanged.

Yes, my point in posting here has been pretty much to encourage any readers to get into checking the legislation as well as the regs synopsis (as I like to do from time to time around here. So many folks I talk to haven't looked into them at all). Thank you folks, was looking for others to add to my links for any interested parties to see.

It is fair to say that this deer can be taken under an antlerless tag, though would still be legal during an any buck season as far something being unenforceable being "legal" goes, that is.

Either way, it is a Mule Deer so none too likely to see the same one about anyhow now that it has been awhile. Who is to say thinking a Deer one sees is this guy when it's actually a doe isn't likely to happen. It is!

So to start answering the ya/nay shoot or no shoot question way of looking at this thread, I would not go looking for such an animal. None the less there certainly is a compelling argument to be made that this is an animal of the class prescribed as legal to be killed during this particular GOS.

So for the sake of fun, I'll say I'm not changing my mind either as it's still the same animal for meat purposes sans antlers and it's just a matter of dumb luck this particular animal shed early. A buck is a Buck with or without antler in reality.

That said for the sake of (and speaking of) reality I'll say, again, I personally would need antlers to go with my own Muley Buck. For that reason alone I'd pass a shot. Still I figure it is legal and a guy could indeed "get away" with taking this particular animal in this particularly weird/anomalous dream world internet scenario.

Trust me folks - Living in the EK, I have passed up many Muleys since showing up here! I would pass up this one. But you knew that already.

604redneck
12-04-2016, 11:18 PM
You don't have to take the antlers and if it's any buck all you need is proof of species and sex

J_T
12-05-2016, 05:55 AM
You don't have to take the antlers and if it's any buck all you need is proof of species and sex
I'd be cautious with that decision. We took a bull elk in an any elk season about 6 yrs ago, left hide and nuts on each quarter. We separated the head and hung the meat in the cooler. The head was immediately outside the cooler and the CO issued a warning ticket for separating the head.

hunter1947
12-05-2016, 06:21 AM
Regarding this thread many CO look at the situation in a different ways ,,,about 12 years ago I talked to the head CO in his office Vancouver island I asked him about transporting meat from A to B.

I asked him if I cut up the deer into quarters left a nut on both hind quarter or the sex of a doe head off the animal as long as I had the head with the deer parts would that be good enough when transporting the animal to a butcher or my home,,,he said I don't see a problem on what you just told me if I stopped you would be ok

btridge
12-05-2016, 12:10 PM
Yes, my point in posting here has been pretty much to encourage any readers to get into checking the legislation as well as the regs synopsis (as I like to do from time to time around here. So many folks I talk to haven't looked into them at all). Thank you folks, was looking for others to add to my links for any interested parties to see.

It is fair to say that this deer can be taken under an antlerless tag, though would still be legal during an any buck season as far something being unenforceable being "legal" goes, that is.

Either way, it is a Mule Deer so none too likely to see the same one about anyhow now that it has been awhile. Who is to say thinking a Deer one sees is this guy when it's actually a doe isn't likely to happen. It is!

So to start answering the ya/nay shoot or no shoot question way of looking at this thread, I would not go looking for such an animal. None the less there certainly is a compelling argument to be made that this is an animal of the class prescribed as legal to be killed during this particular GOS.

So for the sake of fun, I'll say I'm not changing my mind either as it's still the same animal for meat purposes sans antlers and it's just a matter of dumb luck this particular animal shed early. A buck is a Buck with or without antler in reality.

That said for the sake of (and speaking of) reality I'll say, again, I personally would need antlers to go with my own Muley Buck. For that reason alone I'd pass a shot. Still I figure it is legal and a guy could indeed "get away" with taking this particular animal in this particularly weird/anomalous dream world internet scenario.

Trust me folks - Living in the EK, I have passed up many Muleys since showing up here! I would pass up this one. But you knew that already.

A buck that has shed his Antlers is NOT a buck in an any buck season. If you shoot it as a buck, YOU are a poacher.
It does not matter that you don't need the antlers to transport it, It is a poached deer.

btridge
12-05-2016, 12:18 PM
I shot a white tail that had a very nice 4 point rack, on closer inspection, it was a lactating female. On the way home, I went through a game check. The CO that inspected my 4 point was surprised to see that it was a female, but congradulated me on my " BUCK" , everyone had a look at it and I was on my way. It's NOT what is between their legs but what is on their head that counts for making it a legal harvest.

finngun
12-05-2016, 12:20 PM
Winbuckhunter...thnx to starting that topic..it is really interesting,,,and raising waves bouth ways..
i sure like to hear final outcome..whatever it might be..:biggrin:im full of ears:cool:

12-05-2016, 03:27 PM
It all depends on the CO. The updated definition is new to the current regs, that's what I am basing my saying it's legal on. Perhaps Winbuckhunter will eventually report back with what the CO he talks to said, or if emailed it may even go to the Policy Analyst.

btridge - As stated I personally do not have time nor inclination to shoot such an animal. I personally don't look at their nuts! Easy enough to start imagine extra tines no? Never mind imagining nuts... Just not gonna do it.

I must say it is very amusing how inflammatory and belligerent the side that votes "illegal" leans toward, except such as landphil excluded, of course.

Still, I am voting that it's legal. For theoretical purposes, described above. I will ask a local CO and see what they've got to say perhaps. Until I read and/or have something from authority to add, I am done here.

ruger#1
12-05-2016, 03:32 PM
I shot a white tail that had a very nice 4 point rack, on closer inspection, it was a lactating female. On the way home, I went through a game check. The CO that inspected my 4 point was surprised to see that it was a female, but congradulated me on my " BUCK" , everyone had a look at it and I was on my way. It's NOT what is between their legs but what is on their head that counts for making it a legal harvest. I helped a guy this year. It was whitetail doe season. He shot a deer. He couldn't find it. We looked and found it. It had a antler on it that looked in velvet. He tagged it as a buck. When we looked at the belly. It was a lactating doe.

Salty
12-05-2016, 03:50 PM
Its a bow season so as long as its more than 3 days past the rifle season if the antlers are within a 600 metre radius of where the antlerless buck is shot its kosher. But you have to clip both antlerless and antlered sections of the tag and you get one less tag next year. Unless its for white tail and then you can still get all your tags but only if you hunt with a rifle that season. Its all in the regs just look it up..

12-05-2016, 04:27 PM
page 3

Buck or Bull
- with reference to deer, moose

know the regs before you shoot.

12-05-2016, 04:50 PM
I helped a guy this year. It was whitetail doe season. He shot a deer. He couldn't find it. We looked and found it. It had a antler on it that looked in velvet. He tagged it as a buck. When we looked at the belly. It was a lactating doe.

it was a He-She.

12-05-2016, 05:38 PM
Just got back from the CO/MFLNROD Office on Industrial Rd. G in Cranbrook. Asked the first person I saw about it, nice Lady. She said Legal! Then I had another question (Cougar Bag limits in various MU's, will start thread about that next) and we asked a CO as well, as one was handy at that point.
He said illegal as you are either taking antlered or antlerless regardless of the new updates to the transportation aspect of the regs. So it's illegal, he seems like someone to trust. So while yeah, we are talking about Region 8 in this thread and I asked a Region 4 CO, their authorities is valid all across the Province.

I'll take this CO's word for it and change my opinion at this time. I was wrong before, it is illegal.

P.S. - On the way back I saw a group of Mule Deer, three does and a Huge 4x4 Buck! As in Antlered, 4 point! Hahaha they are awesome, very glad to see them... My advice is to hold out for one like that animal. He was only slightly smaller than the 3x3 I had to pass on this past October body wise... In other words, one of the biggest Mulies going!!! Beautiful.

Rhyno
12-05-2016, 05:43 PM
Just got back from the CO/MFLNROD Office on Industrial Rd. G in Cranbrook. Asked the first person I saw about it, nice Lady. She said Legal! Then I had another question (Cougar Bag limits in various MU's, will start thread about that next) and we asked a CO as well, as one was handy at that point.
He said illegal as you are either taking antlered or antlerless regardless of the new updates to the transportation aspect of the regs. So it's illegal, he seems like someone to trust.

I'll take this CO's word for it and change my opinion at this time. I was wrong before, it is illegal.

Was just about to reply to your last message, but see you have received some good info from the CO.

.264winmag
12-05-2016, 05:44 PM
Its a bow season so as long as its more than 3 days past the rifle season if the antlers are within a 600 metre radius of where the antlerless buck is shot its kosher. But you have to clip both antlerless and antlered sections of the tag and you get one less tag next year. Unless its for white tail and then you can still get all your tags but only if you hunt with a rifle that season. Its all in the regs just look it up..

Seems legit, I'll just take your Internet word for it;)

landphil
12-05-2016, 06:58 PM
Seems legit, I'll just take your Internet word for it;)

But, but, but ociffer, Salty on the intraweb said it was OK... ;)

landphil
12-05-2016, 07:01 PM
He said illegal as you are either taking antlered or antlerless regardless of the new updates to the transportation aspect of the regs. So it's illegal, he seems like someone to trust. So while yeah, we are talking about Region 8 in this thread and I asked a Region 4 CO, their authorities is valid all across the Province.

Thanks for having the stones to come back and post that update, good that it brings some clarity to the subject. Of course, if Winbuckhunter comes back saying the CO he talked to said different, then...LOL.

Pioneerman
12-05-2016, 07:05 PM
Buck or Bull - with reference to deer, moose, or elk means one bearing visible bony antlers. Buck or Bull - with reference to caribou, means a male one year of age or older, bearing visible bony antlers.

.264winmag
12-05-2016, 07:20 PM
But, but, but ociffer, Salty on the intraweb said it was OK... ;)

If you can get your core, you can read the regs? No?

Salty
12-05-2016, 07:28 PM
Just print this page and take it with you good to go :lol:

scoutlt1
12-05-2016, 07:42 PM
Just print this page and take it with you good to go :lol:

Thank you your honor, for allowing me to present Exhibit A :)

ruger#1
12-05-2016, 07:52 PM
Stephen MacIver|Policy & Regulations Analyst|Fish, Wildlife and Habitat Management Branch|Ministry of Forests, Lands, and Natural Resource Operations|Phone (250) 387-9767|Email: stephen.maciver@gov.bc.ca

12-05-2016, 07:57 PM
Stephen MacIver|Policy & Regulations Analyst|Fish, Wildlife and Habitat Management Branch|Ministry of Forests, Lands, and Natural Resource Operations|Phone (250) 387-9767 (tel:(250) 387-9767)|Email: stephen.maciver@gov.bc.ca

Or save that poor poor guy the pain of having to awnser his phone because a few hundred internet people can read the definition of what a buck is in the regulations. Hope lots of guys don't call for something that is in bold print on page 3 in the " definitions "

ruger#1
12-05-2016, 08:04 PM
Or save that poor poor guy the pain of having to awnser his phone because a few hundred internet people can read the definition of what a buck is in the regulations. Hope lots of guys don't call for something that is in bold print on page 3 in the " definitions " I'm not calling. You do it Drew.LOL

J_T
12-05-2016, 08:27 PM
No one needs to call anyone. This is very clear. I can see the last few posts are just having fun.

landphil
12-05-2016, 08:43 PM
That's it! I'm calling.

Ghostbusters! :)

12-05-2016, 08:51 PM
Something's strange in the neighborhood?

At least this thread's WAY better than that lame Ghostbusters remake. I could not get through that whole movie, not at all.

Even if I was initially wrong on what really should've been a super obvious thing. Too much reg/legislation analysis for me, not enough woods time!

bluesman
12-08-2016, 03:31 PM
remember that the Hunting and trapping regulation SYNOPSIS is not a legal document..on page 2 of the synopsis is states that it is intended for general information purposes..if there is a question that requires legal clarity , you refer to the wildlife regulations...the legal act. The definition of a buck in the regulations is..one bearing visible antlers.....so the answer to the question by the original poster is that he cannot shoot this mule deer buck as the definition of buck in the regulations is bearing antlers..not his actual sex....

I can see why the original poster asked the question as the deer is clearly a buck by biological fact but not a buck by wildlife regulations....
good luck I hope you get a legal buck..I too enjoy hunting deer with a bow ....

12-08-2016, 03:52 PM
I'm not calling. You do it Drew.LOL

its DRU! lol....

cmarrie
12-08-2016, 04:01 PM
I'm personally disgusted that so many of you are so uneducated as hunters that yu even think this is a grey area???
very sad!
yup... Mark you hit it on the head. Job security for the CO Service.

pretty crazy how many people were so quick to say-- drop it if it has balls. Page 3 of 2016-2018 (or any old regs you can find in print) clearly defines "buck". No visible bony antlers, not a "buck".

finngun
12-08-2016, 09:41 PM
yep regs say that way...,,,reality is buck is buck with balls.summer or winter...no one can chance that..but i can see reason behind that,,anterless or antlered animal,,they dont wanna hunters to make a mistake ,,and start shooting anterless deers because it is easy to mix up with buck and female if not rack in the head.8)

mark...//I'm personally disgusted that so many of you are so uneducated as hunters that yu even think this is a grey area???
very sad!/// dont be disgusted,,it is not always ,,,uneducated,,,sometimes is really gray areas in regs,,what could be way more clear if wording is different..
and sometimes people wanna common sense prevail..:)this time no avail..fG

Jedcote50
12-10-2016, 12:35 PM
I didn't read the complete thread, so if some one else made this point already I apologize but the question I ask is " if this buck has dropped has antlers in mid Nov. is he ill? and do you want to chance feeding him to your family?" If you aren't planing on making it table fare it sure ain't no trophy. I've never heard of a healthy animal dropping their headgear that early, break them off sure, but not shed them. Was it biologically induce or is he just a mutant?

Ryo
12-10-2016, 12:59 PM
I was just going to ask a similar question to Jedcote50 - is this area high or low buck to doe ratios?
Animal showing signs of injury from earlier in the season? Environmental stress (fire area?)

Riverbc
12-11-2016, 08:37 AM
Page 3 of the regs

However...you do not have to possess or take the head and antlers with you.

Page 20

(1) For elk and moose:
(a) If the animal is male, either
(i) that portion of the head which
bears the antlers, OR
(ii) both a testicle or part of the penis,
AND the animal’s tail or another
readily identifiable part of the hide
not less than 6 cm2.
(b) If the animal is female, either
(i) that portion of the head which in
males normally bears antlers, OR
(ii) both a portion of the udder or teats,
AND the animal’s tail or another
readily identifiable part of the hide
not less than 6 cm2.
(2) For deer:
(a) If the animal is male
bears the antlers, OR
(ii) the unskinned tail and either a
testicle or part of the penis.
(b) If the animal is female
in males normally bears antlers,
OR a portion of the udder and
teats, AND
(ii) the unskinned tail.

sparkes3
12-11-2016, 09:25 AM
when talking to a co ask for your question to be answered as the law states, not their opinion of the law.
I usually copy the questions that I see on here and corner a couple c o's at tradex in abbottsford each year.
separate them and read them the same question ,its surprising how different their answers can and will be ,I had two of them red in the face with each other over their answers and would have loved to have been a fly in the truck with them when they left.

blindcast
12-11-2016, 01:33 PM
Had one of those antlerless bucks in the breaks above Savona a couple, three seasons ago. Mulie. Big bodied deer and it was tending a band of does but no antlers, not even spikes. Spent a long time glassing it. No doubt it was a buck and the does didn't seem to mind that it had no antlers. Toward the end of the third week of November, that year. Plenty of snow and darn cold but they were having a party in the sun. Didn't shoot. Regs call for four points and you can't count what isn't there.