PDA

View Full Version : Whitetail population around Tunkwa?

bcshadow
12-01-2016, 08:06 AM
Going for a few days next week - how are the whitetail numbers around the area / lake this fall? Anyone seen any?
Last year only saw Mule deer October and November. Always heard that there were lots of Whitetail. Thought I would try late season this year, especially now that is has gotten a lot colder in the past week.

sdurango41
12-01-2016, 10:44 AM
Just got back from Tunkwa. Saw a couple of whitetail but they were not there in numbers that is for sure. Hunted long and hard for an empty cooler to take home. There are some around but you need to be a bit lucky b

Looking_4_Jerky
12-01-2016, 11:34 AM
sdurango, seeing 4 WT bucks in there is really good actually. They are obviously around, but I'd characterize that country much like I'd characterize the rest of Kamloops area. In pockets all over, but I wouldn't actually say there are "lots" anywhere.

They did increase the quota a few years back, but I think that was more to provide opportunity than because there is a large population here. They are pretty confident that they can have the liberal season and the population will build or at least stay stable, so they went with it. I know the theories that WTs pops can tolerate liberal and generous seasons are a highly debated topic on this and other forums.

During the rut, you'll tend to have a better chance of seeing the bucks that are there being out and around, but outside of rut time, it is not uncommon to not see WT even in a few days hunting, even if you are within the pockets of favored habitat. There are just not a ton of them around.