PDA

View Full Version : Lower Mainland Crows,... Protected?

4ptbuck
07-04-2007, 08:36 AM
I just heard that there is a crow problem in the lower mainland and that the city can't do anything about it because Crows are protected by the BC Wildlife Act.

What??....

I know Ravens are protected, but I thought it was open season on crows all year around?

Hmm....

todbartell
07-04-2007, 08:49 AM
crows are schedule C

blast the ****ers

Steeleco
07-04-2007, 08:51 AM
I think the only protecting their assess is the fact we can't shoot them openly!

youngbuck
07-04-2007, 09:01 AM
just heard that there is a crow problem in the lower mainland

They just figured this out NOW!!!!:?:

Something need to be done. They not only are a nuisance but they are very aggressive with both humans and other birds. Plus their squawk is bloody annoying.

Mr. Dean
07-04-2007, 09:02 AM
Our Crows NEED protecting!

From ME.

I think counsel interpreted the regs BADLY on this. Or, maybe it's because firearms can't be used in the city near dwellings etc. Someone should jump on this one for training excercises for the youth wanna-be's and pellet guns.

308BAR
07-04-2007, 09:12 AM
Forget pellet guns, you need a punt gun to make a dent in that population I've seen flying over Burnaby.

4ptbuck
07-04-2007, 09:19 AM
I heard it on 1130 this morning, but just surfed their website and can't find an article.

Sideofabarn
07-04-2007, 09:20 AM
And I always thought that the crow had status as the Municipal bird of Vancouver :mrgreen: Seriously though, when I lived in Burnaby the crows and the raccoons did a number on our back lawn when they were digging for the grub that infested it. Crows are far too clever for any one eradication method to work for any period of time, but it'd be sure fun tryin'!

Chuck
07-04-2007, 09:24 AM
The only bird I know of that understands the regs and municipal bylaws!

Why else would they hang out in protected/no shoot areas all the time.

Just yesterday I saw two at Wal-Mart standing on a picnic tale - one was reading a discarded paper and the other was poking in a waste can looking for something! When I walked past them, they looked at me and said something I couldn't understand. I'm sure, by the looks of them it wasn't nice either.

ape
07-04-2007, 10:43 AM
Ravens are protected crows are not if I recall correctly.

bsa30-06
07-04-2007, 04:30 PM
A crow problem in the lower mainland huh that explains why the sky goes black every evening here.We get so many crows flying by here all at the same time it looks like something from a horror movie.

Poguebilt
07-04-2007, 04:38 PM
The lowermainland is infested with way too much of EVERYTHING!

so glad I moved.... :biggrin:

BearSniper
07-04-2007, 05:05 PM
Crows

Crows are blastable....trouble is we can't shoot 'em in the cities and municipalities:(

I 've been on my porch in the evenings of the last week, and have seen twice where crows are being chased by sqawking robins with a young robin in the mouth of the crow.

Pisses me off. The wife asks me to shoot them but I cant:???: Theres just too damn many of them. !

BCLongshot
07-04-2007, 07:38 PM
I always take shots at them with my pellet gun. Trying to get em in the eye is the hard part.

I just make sure the neighbors can't see me and the sky is in the background.

Hell I blasted 3 racoons on my deck at 4 in the morning.

The only person who was mad was the wife 'cause I left for work and when she got up 1 was bleeding on her new deck.

I'm such a problem husband.

ruger#1
07-04-2007, 07:41 PM
Nail them with a paint ball gun, buggers them up good.

BCLongshot
07-04-2007, 07:48 PM
Better idea !!!

I love this site.

Thanks

4ptbuck
07-04-2007, 08:13 PM
yup, I agree, they are a problem.
What got me about the new report was the talk about them being protected by the BC Wildlife act. I don't think they are, but may be protected by municiple bylaws... Hmmm...

ape
07-04-2007, 10:59 PM
Go to your local sporting goods store and ask them for some CCI CB long or shorts for your .22. Then you lay bait out in your backyard and leave the door open just a crack. When they land for the bait you stick the end of the barrel out the door and blastem. With the CB's all you hear is the action close. There is no report from the barrel at all. Trust me on this it does and will work. Your neighbor can be sitting on his deck and would not know any different.

todbartell
07-04-2007, 11:06 PM
CB's are indeed quiet, and lethal on crows out to 30 yards or so. Be careful once you kill one, as the other crows usually go NUTS and will draw alot of attention...of course, also be careful of whats behind your target too, you dont want grandma peterson screaming to the cops about how you put a 29 grainer through her favorite flower pot :)

pmj
07-05-2007, 12:51 AM
This spring I did an extreme make over on the numerous nest boxes in the backyard. Due to high chick mortality in past years because of crows waiting for the chicks to emerge for their first flight, I read the regulations back and forth (not the Act but the abriviated version) and came to the conclusion that I could do the following:
1. Use bait (eggs and natchos do not work, barbaque chips they can't resist). 2. Air rifle less than 500 fps is not a fire arm8-). (and we have a well fenced back yard).

It is difficult to hit them in the eye especially with Chinese iron sites ( even at 8m) as BCLongshot said. I mortally wounded one last week. Before I could reload and get off a second shot he headed for the safety of the carport and the front yard. I sprinted around the other side of the house with a broom (you can't run with an air rifle through the suburbs). The crow managed to step over the curb onto the neighbours lawn. I hesitated, it would not look good if I was standing on the neighbours front lawn beating a crow to death with a broom. I guess one of the neighbours will find it in their pristine manicured garden. I had to pull out the hose and wash the massive blood trail off the side walk, stairs and through the car port:icon_frow.

I had droped my usual handfull of chips on the side walk the other day and had the garage door open while I worked inside with the pellet gun at the ready nearby. It was the third crow of the afternoon. I was getting p***ed with the chips being stolen with out any body count. I made sure I shot off quick. Not a body shot, in the head or nothing. Crap, he ducked, the pellet bounced off the side walk behind him and hit the beige vinyl siding three rows up leaving a quater size hole with the black building paper showing from behind. Now I have to pay a siding guy to come and swap pieces from the side of the house with the one that has a hole in it by the side walk to the back door :mad:. Oh yeah and it is a rental house:roll:. Looks like the hunting season can't come soon enough for me.

Nimrod
07-05-2007, 05:18 AM
I had one of the *******s come into my covered deck and steal a cheese bun off the side of the barbecue, I had just put the plate there and went to the kitchen and back in 30 seconds.
the buggers have crow picnics on the roof , went up there the other day to clear a gutter and found loads of clam shells , chicken bones, even pasta??? guess from raiding garbage cans. Was thinking about setting up rat traps ?
my down stairs and back yard would be perfect for the pellet gun, open up two doors sit on the couch put some bait in front of the rock wall by the garden and take them out sniper style. you wouldn't hear a thing.:twisted:

boxhitch
07-05-2007, 07:38 AM
Urban warfare, I like it. Take back the streets !!

[quote=pmj;163914] 2. Air rifle less than 500 fps is not a fire arm8-).

Good luck with that, if the rc's or by-law dick shows up.

BlacktailStalker
07-05-2007, 11:41 AM
They arent as smart as ravens. A few of my faller buddys said they open the zipper on their packs and steal their whole lunch if they dont cover them up with limbs lol !

sawmill
07-05-2007, 03:57 PM
Feed the *******s white bread with Louisianna hot sauce on it,soak one side and leave it white side up,they can`t resist white bread.They won`t come back.8)

Phil
07-05-2007, 06:12 PM
I was told that white bread with Ajax powder rolled up in it was very affective. Apparently they explode due to their stomach acids mixing with the Ajax. Not sure if this is true but I'll bet someone here can verify this story.

BearSniper
07-05-2007, 07:05 PM
Crows

Hey B.C. Longshot.........................

What creek in Abby do you live near ?

I don't have creek nearby therefore no Raccoons:cry:

I'd like to smoke one with a bow.... got some Lutan taxidermy chemicals I'd like to try out on a pelt.

BCLongshot
07-05-2007, 07:23 PM
pmj that's too funny !!!

BearSniper.....I live by Terry Fox elementary and we're surounded by 3 creeks.

CanuckShooter
07-06-2007, 08:20 AM
The crows...they are gathering in anticipation of the 2010 olympics. The whole world will be able to identify Vancouver/Whistler and the surrounding burbs with the memories of thousands upon thousands of crows.

Instead of just planning on wacking a couple off your back deck why not get a little capitalistic and develop a business plan to market the little black buggers to all those tourists that Gordo and his crew are bringing to your area?? Imagine..crow feather dream catchers...pet crows [ie pet rocks]...stuff 'em and put little touques on them..eh??:)

Chuck
07-06-2007, 09:31 AM
The crows...they are gathering in anticipation of the 2010 olympics. The whole world will be able to identify Vancouver/Whistler and the surrounding burbs with the memories of thousands upon thousands of crows.

Instead of just planning on wacking a couple off your back deck why not get a little capitalistic and develop a business plan to market the little black buggers to all those tourists that Gordo and his crew are bringing to your area?? Imagine..crow feather dream catchers...pet crows [ie pet rocks]...stuff 'em and put little touques on them..eh??:)

I'd like to meet you sometime, you know....great minds think alike! - Chuck.

Monashee
07-06-2007, 11:31 AM
Crows are a lot like people , they see a nice inviting place , they set up home, breed as long as there are resources to exploit, have no real enemies and dominate all the other life around them... yep just like people :D

Elkhound
07-06-2007, 11:45 AM
I had a customer last summer spend $800 on new glasses. Took them off and put them on the picinic table while she was eating. Crow swooped down and stole the glasses. Flew away never to be seen again. Boy was she pissed. Crows like bright and shiny stuff.

300WM
07-06-2007, 11:58 AM
I had a customer last summer spend $800 on new glasses. Took them off and put them on the picinic table while she was eating. Crow swooped down and stole the glasses. Flew away never to be seen again. Boy was she pissed. Crows like bright and shiny stuff.

Just like women :D.....

My personal opinion is that a good crow is dead crow and will not hesitate at any oportunity to shoot one of them nasty buggers.

A funny story....my black lab finally got to take a run at one of the 10+ that invade my yard from time to time and take swoops at my dog driving her nuts. She took a run at one while it was busy pecking the ground and was not looking. By the time the crow saw the dog and tried flying away, my dog had swiped it out of the air (must have been a good 6 feet high) and when it hit the ground my dog put the death shake on it. At first I laughed my ass off but then remembered how filthy these creatures are. Told her to drop it and went over to investigate. There it was laying on it's back, eyes rolled back looking dead. Gave it a poke with my foot...yup dead. Grabbed a shovel and went to pick it up, it popped back to life and tarted hopping around the yard skwaking at the top of it's longs. It had a damaged wing and couldn't go anywhere. Great!....what to do now! Has to open the gate and chase it around the fence line until it exited. Watched it hop down the street and saw it for a few weeks after that and then no lnger. Bugger had it coming :twisted:

Gateholio
07-06-2007, 12:05 PM
I often call in and shot crows wiht a shotgun. Last winter, a few crows landed on a tree, whiel I was yote hunting, with my 223, and in camo..

I ranged them at 212 yards, so held rigth on and picked one out of the tree. The other ones took off, I bet they were surprised...:mrgreen:

Elkhound
07-06-2007, 12:06 PM
not suprised about the lab thing. My dog hates crows....they steal his food out of his dish. He has chased down and killed 7 that I know of.