PDA

View Full Version : Region 8:14 - newbie question on bear encounter in December

mikhailmol
11-30-2016, 04:54 PM
Sorry if this has been asked before. I'm going to region 8:14 hunting for a white tail on Dec 8 with a crossbow. First time doing it in an area where there might be predators. Since it's an archery season and I can't have both a rifle and a bow with me when hunting off the roads I'm just wondering if I should be worried about a possible encounter with predators like bears or cougars in that area. Loading crossbow is hard enough that basically once loaded I only have one shot in case of being attacked by a bear. Should I be concerned about it or at this time of the year all the bears are in their winter deep sleep? By the forecast it is going to be around minus 13 over there so pretty cold but I'm sure I would be sweating hard if I see one close enough without having a rifle on me.

Good2bCanadian
11-30-2016, 05:00 PM
Carry spray and a large knife.

Jeff77
11-30-2016, 05:12 PM
Ya never no ... but your pretty safe .. but pepper spray is an option ...
Why aren't you allowed to carry a shotgun with slugs..
I'm not a bow Hunter so I don't no what the rules are .. but I think carrying a gun should be ok .. ? No ?

adriaticum
11-30-2016, 05:14 PM
I don't think it would be a problem for you to carry a shotgun.

snipersights
11-30-2016, 05:20 PM
Carry shotgun with 3" slugs mace and Bowie knife. I know it's a stretch but where I live in Victoria you can buy electrified walking sticks lol

mikhailmol
11-30-2016, 05:38 PM
I was told that you can only have one set - you either walk with a bow or with a rifle or a shotgun. You can't have two sets at the same time so I can't carry both a bow and a rifle or a shortgun. Only one item is allowed just like you can't hunt with both rifle and a shotgun at the same time. You can have your buddy carry a shotgun and you a rifle you can't carry both when hunting. I was told the same applies to a bow or crossbow hunting. Either you have a rifle or a cross bow but you can't hunt with a rifle in archery season so what's the point.

Am I right on this or not? I'm just telling what I've been told.

Jeff77
11-30-2016, 05:42 PM
I would say wrong off top of my head ... you should be able to carry a rifle too ... but I'm not 100%...
Well ...im sure someone here will no shortly

Big Lew
11-30-2016, 05:54 PM
I'm sure there are quite a few that would like to see just where it's written that
you can't carry a rifle while bow hunting. Same with carrying both a rifle and a
shotgun provided that extra firearm is cased or securely tied, locked, or stored.
You can't have 2 loaded shotguns while bird hunting which I understand, but I
don't understand not being able to carry a shotgun or 22 rifle for birds while also
carrying a suitable rifle for big game hunting and/or protection.

Squamch
11-30-2016, 06:27 PM
You may have provincial regs mixed. In BC you can simultaneously hunt large and small game with different guns. Certain backwards ass (on)terrible places you can't do that.
I carry a gun while bow hunting. This season, I spent some very stressful minutes (about 4 according to the video) with it pointed at a sow blackbear while she grunted and huffed at us. Hopefully a CO would be understanding, but I'd rather take my chances with 12 gauge bearspray than without.

Downwind
11-30-2016, 06:29 PM
I was told that you can only have one set - you either walk with a bow or with a rifle or a shotgun. You can't have two sets at the same time so I can't carry both a bow and a rifle or a shortgun. Only one item is allowed just like you can't hunt with both rifle and a shotgun at the same time. You can have your buddy carry a shotgun and you a rifle you can't carry both when hunting. I was told the same applies to a bow or crossbow hunting. Either you have a rifle or a cross bow but you can't hunt with a rifle in archery season so what's the point.

Am I right on this or not? I'm just telling what I've been told.

No, that's incorrect. You can carry both. I have done it when I'm alone in grizz country when bow hunting. Also carried bear spray. 45-70 with some big pills just in case. Nowhere does it state that you can't carry a gun for bear defence if you are bow hunting.

604Stalker
11-30-2016, 07:32 PM
A CO may give you crap but there is no reg that says you can not.. I carry a shotgun and rifle with me well Im on the road. Why not in the bush? Simply practicality but theres no law anywhere that says you can't. If there is someone can post it.

IronNoggin
11-30-2016, 08:56 PM
Hunted the same general area for late season archery for quite a few years, and my partner much longer.
Neither of us have ever seen any bears in that area whatsoever that time of year. They will be denned up.
Sure, you might run into a cat - have a tag - problem solved.
Neither of us have ever packed anything but a crossbow btw, simply no need. ;)

Enjoy your hunt.

Cheers,
Nog

GoatGuy
11-30-2016, 09:49 PM
As of last weekend bears still out in region 8. Unbelieveably mild year.

Wouldn't be too concerned about bears in bow season.

Fisher-Dude
11-30-2016, 09:57 PM
Wolf and coyote open? Check

Able to hunt wolf and coyote with shotgun slugs? Check

Allowed to hunt deer, wolf, and coyote at the same time? Check

You're good to go.

mikhailmol
12-01-2016, 09:51 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I don't have a shotgun but do have an SKS and an SVT-40. So I'll take my SKS just in case then. Really happy to hear replies that I can carry both. It was another hunter who said that you can hunt only with one item and if you want to hunt with a rifle and a shotgun then you would need to buy a double barrel gun that has one barrel as a shotgun and another as a rifle.

I'm not planning to hunt for anything other than whitetails but having a piece of a mind with solo bow hunting that I have a rifle in case of a bear encounter is sure nice to have.

It's the first time for me going into that region 8-14, 8-12. Can anyone recommend where to go there? I'll be coming from Vancouver so will get there on Hwy3 from the south. Would prefer not to drive all the way to the northern parts of 8-14 and 8-12. Also with the temperatures dropping to minus 13 by this coming weekend would you say that deer will go more to south or they will stay where they are?