PDA

View Full Version : Couple grizz that charged me

Jeff77
11-30-2016, 04:37 PM
This was 2 years ago just outside of quesnel
Was moose hunting and was walking through this cut block when I saw these 2 guys ...was snapping photos with gun still on shoulder ...i should have noticed there body language ... it said get out my way ..lol .. they suddenly charged full bore from bout 30 yards .. gun came off shoulder dam quick.. shot between them and peppered them with rocks ..then turned and ran not 20 yards .then turned and charged again...they got within 30 ft before I got 2nd shot off ...this time it was right nevt to his paws
..it gave him a good peppering ...they ran off bout 30 yards then walked off... I had every right to take em.out .but I didn't ...2 warning shots..only 3 bullets in my gun ...kinda stupid..1 bullet left ..2 bears ..
Had lots more bullets .. but don't think they'd give me time to re load .. anyways..this could have ended bad on both sides ...
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/GEDC00212.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/GEDC00193.JPG

Jeff77
11-30-2016, 04:37 PM
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/GEDC00203.JPG

.308SLAYER
11-30-2016, 04:53 PM
Def more bold then me my friend that close two bears charging I think I woulda let one have it especially when they charged the second time...

Good2bCanadian
11-30-2016, 04:59 PM
Awesome pics Jeff.

Jeff77
11-30-2016, 05:02 PM
Your right ...my decision on warning shots could been a deadly mistake... after walking back to truck the thoughts that went through me were over whelming sorta .. just kept picturing the revanent grizz attack ...

panhead
11-30-2016, 05:11 PM
Did you wash your shorts out ... or just throw them away?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Like the Titanic, once the propellers are up in the air and the ship is plunging straight down, the speed of descent will just accelerate.

Jeff77
11-30-2016, 05:15 PM
Lol .. no ... I held my own ..... but defenetly had a sinking gut feeling .. Really weird on the drive back to camp all the things that go through your head.. all the what iffs

DeepJeep
11-30-2016, 05:20 PM
the third pic is plain frightening!

Jeff77
11-30-2016, 05:22 PM
the third pic is plain frightening!

That was seconds before they charged
Even the pic shows the body language that's dangerous ...

DeepJeep
11-30-2016, 05:32 PM
oh yea... you know they want to attack
just like a bull pawing with forefeet before charging.

That was seconds before they charged
Even the pic shows the body language that's dangerous ...

RackStar
11-30-2016, 05:44 PM
I love the colour on them.

Nice pics

Timbow
11-30-2016, 05:54 PM
Unreal. I wonder what the outcome would have been with different hunters in that same situation. It's not fun to be charged, looks like you kept your cool throughout the situation.

Just curious, east or west of Quesnel?

Jeff77
11-30-2016, 05:56 PM
Behind the dunkley mill
...hixon area

Jeff77
11-30-2016, 05:59 PM
I was very relaxed at first .. been in the bush all my life .. seen hundreds of black bears
..and seem quite a few grizz now in my years .. but not even getting gun off shoulder while they were approaching was just stupid .....probably a good 3 or 4 minutes of them walking closer and closer and I still wasn't expecting what they did .. thank God I'm pretty quick on the draw

floden
11-30-2016, 06:00 PM
Hey this is a great post. I hunt in that same area. I've only seen a grizz once- and I know they've seen me. I'm glad your story turned out well- you could have been a statistic. I always think about the number of bullets question. I sorta don't want to shoot a grizz but I really really don't want to die!

lip_ripper00
11-30-2016, 06:11 PM
Just shows how fast things can go sideways!

two-feet
11-30-2016, 06:20 PM
Beautiful looking animals

Mosin
11-30-2016, 06:37 PM
I probably would have panicked and shot them. I wouldnt have wanted to use 2 of my 3 bullets as a warning since they were so close. They look like adolescent siblings, must have just left their mother

Rattler
11-30-2016, 06:37 PM
Well that is way inside my comfort zone! A change of shorts was probably needed after that...

Jeff77
11-30-2016, 06:41 PM
My thoughts were brother and sister .. just youngens
But a few I've shown pic to have said mom.and cub ... but I dunno for sure ... what I do no is the aggressor was the bigger one ...the other one just followed

monasheemountainman
11-30-2016, 06:53 PM
id say siblings but im definitely no expert

wmd
11-30-2016, 06:58 PM
I would have shot them to close for my liking

LYKTOHUNT
11-30-2016, 07:08 PM
Sure seems to be more grizz around the Quesnel area in the last few years I hunt mostly east of Quesnel and have bumped into quite a few of them ( one year more grizz than moose ) most notable was a big sow with 3 of those big looking so called cubs, lucky for me all I got was a grunt and huff and a short stand off and mom led the young ones away.
I did the math 3 bullets 4 bears, it wouldnt have worked out well

Jeff77
11-30-2016, 07:15 PM
Ya ... the dunkley area we Hunted was pretty well populated in the fall ... saw those 2 and one other and track every day on rds .. and this big boy who got our scraps

Jeff77
11-30-2016, 07:16 PM
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/SUNP0181.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/SUNP02111.JPG

Timbow
11-30-2016, 07:17 PM
Sure seems to be more grizz around the Quesnel area in the last few years I hunt mostly east of Quesnel and have bumped into quite a few of them ( one year more grizz than moose ) most notable was a big sow with 3 of those big looking so called cubs, lucky for me all I got was a grunt and huff and a short stand off and mom led the young ones away.
I did the math 3 bullets 4 bears, it wouldnt have worked out well

I would say the same thing. One outing out the 1300rd, Swift river resulted in 6 grizzly sighting while spring black hunting. 2 family units and one large boar. Definitely not going to miss out entering leh this winter

HarryToolips
11-30-2016, 07:23 PM
Wow, glad it ended ok, and I agree, after the first warning shot, I'd have aimed at them...

LYKTOHUNT
11-30-2016, 07:27 PM
I would say the same thing. One outing out the 1300rd, Swift river resulted in 6 grizzly sighting while spring black hunting. 2 family units and one large boar. Definitely not going to miss out entering leh this winter
My experiences were all near Nyland and Maude Lake and out on the 4900 road 50 branch near Coyote hill

bearvalley
11-30-2016, 07:53 PM
My experiences were all near Nyland and Maude Lake and out on the 4900 road 50 branch near Coyote hill
Would the 3 cubs following the big sow be 2 year olds this year?

Timbow
11-30-2016, 07:59 PM
Nice trail camera pictures. Beautiful colours on that guy. Thanks for sharing

LYKTOHUNT
11-30-2016, 07:59 PM
Would the 3 cubs following the big sow be 2 year olds this year?
It would be my guess that they would have been 2 year olds at the time which was about 5 years ago

bearvalley
11-30-2016, 08:25 PM
It would be my guess that they would have been 2 year olds at the time which was about 5 years ago
Was just curious. There's been a sow in the Nyland Lake to the Quesnel river area the last 2 years with 3 cubs. First time I saw them they were half the size of my border collie dog. They're two year olds now.
Theres definitely a healthy population of grizzlies east of Quesnel.

sako_300
11-30-2016, 09:27 PM
This is just ignorant. You had all the time in the world (from a bear charging perspective) to vacate the area yet chose to stay and take photos. You're fortuntate you didn't kill one as I would charge you as a CO for harassing wildlife and unnecessary harm (lawyers can insert appropriate legal jargon here)

I would expect that any authority reading this post would/should have questions...

yay, great photos... ��

Jeff77
11-30-2016, 09:40 PM
Your too funny

ajr5406
11-30-2016, 09:47 PM
Man, that's freakin nuts! Glad it ended well, could have gone sideways quickly by the sounds of things. Having said that, what an amazing thing to witness (having not been killed obviously). Not that many people on this earth have been in that situation.

russm
11-30-2016, 09:59 PM
I'd be worried that shooting one that close would result in a charge from the second one, I'd have no interest in getting that close though lol they just look like a pair that's looking for trouble.

lip_ripper00
11-30-2016, 10:16 PM
This is just ignorant. You had all the time in the world (from a bear charging perspective) to vacate the area yet chose to stay and take photos. You're fortuntate you didn't kill one as I would charge you as a CO for harassing wildlife and unnecessary harm (lawyers can insert appropriate legal jargon here)

I would expect that any authority reading this post would/should have questions...

yay, great photos... ��

No harm no foul. I guess we can breath easier you are not a CO.

Arctic Lake
12-01-2016, 08:57 AM
Jeff 77 ,Thanks for posting those pictures up ! They sure are beautiful looking animals ! Too close for my comfort zone, YIKES !

Arctic Lake

Spy
12-01-2016, 09:07 AM

yay, great photos... ��

Is there a law that says, you have too run for your safe space when you see G bears? The guy stood his ground and educated two bears, who now have some respect for humans! I guarantee you they will be running in the opposite direction when they hear a shot, or smell a human, unlike some other uneducated bears that think a shot means dinner. Thank goodness you are not a CO. Jeff I would have dropped both those bears no questions!

swampdonkey
12-01-2016, 09:16 AM

yay, great photos... ��

Look out internet police.

Wagonmaster
12-01-2016, 12:35 PM
How far away were they when you first saw them? I'd have been in hasty retreat mode as soon as I saw them. Failing that, I'd have aimed for them not around them. Course, I needed new shorts just reading your post, so not sure how well I would have made out.

wideopenthrottle
12-01-2016, 12:55 PM
Is there a law that says, you have too run for your safe space when you see G bears? The guy stood his ground and educated two bears, who now have some respect for humans! I guarantee you they will be running in the opposite direction when they hear a shot, or smell a human, unlike some other uneducated bears that think a shot means dinner. Thank goodness you are not a CO. Jeff I would have dropped both those bears no questions!
well said...crucial to instill fear of humans when you have bear encounters...you are doing them a favour....if they don't react correctly by learning to avoid people then they need a dirt nap

Downtown
12-01-2016, 01:28 PM
Was moose hunting and was walking through this cut block when I saw these 2 guys ...was snapping photos with gun still on shoulder ...i should have noticed there body language ... it said get out my way ..lol .. they suddenly charged full bore from bout 30 yards .. gun came off shoulder dam quick.. shot between them and peppered them with rocks ..then turned and ran not 20 yards .then turned and charged again...they got within 30 ft before I got 2nd shot off ...this time it was right nevt to his paws
..it gave him a good peppering ...they ran off bout 30 yards then walked off... I had every right to take em.out .but I didn't ...2 warning shots..only 3 bullets in my gun ...kinda stupid..1 bullet left ..2 bears ..
Had lots more bullets .. but don't think they'd give me time to re load .. anyways..this could have ended bad on both sides ...

When one encounters a situation like you describe its best to open Bolt halve ways and drop an extra Shell in the Chamber. If your Mag holds 3 like most Magnum's do, now you have 4. And yes sometimes you cant have enough.

In any case thanks for keeping your nerve.

Cheers

paulgug
12-01-2016, 01:44 PM
Great pics, and I am glad your around to share the story. I would have been terrified.

albravo2
12-01-2016, 02:08 PM
Great pics, great story. Great big balls. Three bullets must have felt pretty inadequate.

Curious, what caliber of rifle were you carrying?

Love that trail cam pic too.

Stormy
12-01-2016, 02:20 PM
Great story Jeff, nice pics - pleased that it ended the way it did.

Jeff77
12-01-2016, 02:30 PM

yay, great photos... ��

Only ignorant thing here is that above post ...

Jeff77
12-01-2016, 02:34 PM
Great pics, great story. Great big balls. Three bullets must have felt pretty inadequate.

Curious, what caliber of rifle were you carrying?

Love that trail cam pic too.

It was a 300 mag ....
Thanks everyone for the kind words ..
Well almost everyone..

xcaribooer
12-01-2016, 02:37 PM
Glad it worked out ok but I must say that taking pics would have been the last thing on my mind. As soon as I seen them I would have been backing out of the area slowly with one in the chamber and thumb on the safety. I think id have to be at least 200 -300 yds before I would even think of getting a pic

Jeff77
12-01-2016, 02:40 PM
How far away were they when you first saw them? I'd have been in hasty retreat mode as soon as I saw them. Failing that, I'd have aimed for them not around them. Course, I needed new shorts just reading your post, so not sure how well I would have made out.

First saw them bout 30 yards ..

BRvalley
12-01-2016, 03:04 PM
glad to hear all ended well...it's good to shit your pants now and then, let's you know you're living life in the fast lane lol

we didn't get our moose this year, but I'd say we talk and relive our grizz encounters way more than talking about any moose kill from the past....you'll be telling this story years from now!

would you say that looks like a sow and 2nd year cub?

Jeff77
12-01-2016, 03:29 PM

Spy ...thanks bud ... memory flash back..haha..
I wonder sometimes what makes certain people tick ...always one guy has to pick shit apart ....

Jeff77
12-01-2016, 05:05 PM
glad to hear all ended well...it's good to shit your pants now and then, let's you know you're living life in the fast lane lol

we didn't get our moose this year, but I'd say we talk and relive our grizz encounters way more than talking about any moose kill from the past....you'll be telling this story years from now!

would you say that looks like a sow and 2nd year cub?

My opinion brother and sister

browningboy
12-02-2016, 07:49 AM
I would have just shot them, too much risk for a bloody bear? Great shots but next time they might go all the way and that closing time of 30 yards is nothing, be terrible to get torn apart because of two stupid bears? You're lucky bud but bud careful as I'm sure you have a family.
i agree you have big balls of steel!

Arctic Lake
12-02-2016, 03:05 PM
What is the verdict as to if this was a sow and two year old or two, two year olds ?
Would like to know
Thanks
Arctic Lake

Jeff77
12-02-2016, 04:22 PM
Well .. when I see them next i will ask em
.lol ..
I will never no
I say brother sister
Others say young mom and cub

reel lucky
12-02-2016, 07:35 PM
Had close encounter a few years back, Jeff still get goosebumps talking about it.

dracb
12-06-2016, 11:56 PM
Looks like a sow and yearling

Spy
12-07-2016, 10:07 AM
Looks like a sow and yearling
Both bears are at least 2.5 to 3 years old

dracb
12-07-2016, 01:58 PM
Both bears are at least 2.5 to 3 years old

Now I am impressed Spy. I have never been able to figure out how to age a smallish Gbear standing alone out on the mountainside so as to avoid shooting a subadult (less thn 2 year old) bear. Please do me and perhaps many others a favor and make this a teaching moment. What physical characteristics do you see that allow you to confidently age the pictured Gbears.

Thank you in advance
Drac

Spy
12-07-2016, 02:10 PM
Now I am impressed Spy. I have never been able to figure out how to age a smallish Gbear standing alone out on the mountainside so as to avoid shooting a subadult (less thn 2 year old) bear. Please do me and perhaps many others a favor and make this a teaching moment. What physical characteristics do you see that allow you to confidently age the pictured Gbears.

Thank you in advance
Drac
Well I have seen what a 2 year old looks like alive and than dead ! These two are larger and both have well developed humps, they are not cubs.

birdee
12-07-2016, 07:53 PM
Only ignorant thing here is that above post ...
well i did say most of the azhats were gone jeff
don't take the bait lol.always loved your posts on both forums.
just look at you go guy i have been here 3 yrs and you less than a month
and already more posts than me. which is a good thing
not sure if it's you posting or me not lol

Xenomorph
12-07-2016, 08:30 PM

yay, great photos... 👎

Trying to have some sort of a positive discussion with that type of a beginning I feel it would just be futile. Nevertheless, in the hopes whomever reads your knee jerk and takes it as gospel, here's my self-educated perspective on what happened.

Dude ended up super close to two young adults. Worst thing to do in that case is haul ass, especially from a distance of 30 yards. He was gentle enough to educate them, because next time these two will see/smell a human they'll turn the other way and bolt it, which not only increases their own chances of survival, but it's a safeguard for unarmed hikers, mushroom pickers and your generally no-shotgun-carry outdoorsman.

By all means, call us ignorant, call the authority on us. I'd rather have soiled pants and a couple dead grizzlies while talking to the CO, then gently being lullabied in their bellies over winter. Now do me a favour and either calm your pussy down, or **** off.

HarryToolips
12-07-2016, 09:47 PM
^^^^completely agree, he did the right thing, didn't panic and didn't run...

Spy
12-07-2016, 10:18 PM

If I had an LEH for grizz and one of these two crossed my path, I would not hesitate to drop either either one of them. Beautiful coats on both of them.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
12-07-2016, 11:04 PM
OP,

You handled the scenario with true balls and spirit! All's well that ends well.

Personally I'd save my LEH Griz tag for a different Bear.... Unless it charge to keep the one that charged on my wall as a big rug. The meat wouldn't last long, I'd eat it up quick just like I do whatevers else I catch. Anyhow, Maybe tag one maybe not on a charge. Unless I was sure it was an illegal Bear, then I'd self report and declare wildlife conflict. Get the CO to charge a Griz carcass with interfering with a lawful Hunt! :lol::lol::lol:

dracb
12-08-2016, 01:47 AM
If I had an LEH for grizz and one of these two crossed my path, I would not hesitate to drop either either one of them. Beautiful coats on both of them.

You may well be correct. However, he who fires the bullet owns the consequences if any. I will add here a note of caution for those who might be considering following your advice. A senior wildlife biologist for FLNRO commented on the above photos as follows: "..... it is an adult and a yearling GB (from the photo I see). Given a yearling animal is in the company of an adult, that makes it a family group according to what I see." Finally to paraphrase the Wildlife Act: neither a Gbear less than two years of age or a bear in its company are legal to harvest.

Spy
12-08-2016, 02:04 AM
Ok which one is the yearling and which one is the mama ?

olympia
12-08-2016, 03:30 AM

yay, great photos... ��

Wow!! You wernt even there and have it all figured out...your good. On another note, please pardon my ignorance cause i dont know much about gbears but is there any possibility these were a mating pair? They seem kinda well muscled to be juveniles to me.

338win mag
12-08-2016, 07:21 AM
I'm sure under the circumstances you describe, if you shot one or both of those bears you would be and should be charged,
good pics though.

souwester
12-08-2016, 09:11 AM
Hey Jeff nice photos
this thread actually has great education value.
If you don't see two different age class of animals by looking at the pictures I would suggest doing a bit of research on bears.

adriaticum
12-08-2016, 09:33 AM

I bet you would be in a whole lot of trouble if you did.
I'm no grizzly expert but the size difference between these two bears indicates that they are not siblings.
Momma and cub Spy.

Left one is the mother.

Bonz
12-08-2016, 09:37 AM
id say mom(left) and cub also. not an older mom maybe is why their close in size in my view

Coachman
12-08-2016, 11:13 AM
Two bears.... $1,000,000
Two bullets.... $6.00
$hi77ing your pants and living to tell about.... $priceless$

olympia
12-08-2016, 11:15 AM
I'm sure under the circumstances you describe, if you shot one or both of those bears you would be and should be charged,
good pics though.

They charged him. Care to explain why he shoud be charged if he had shot one or both?

finngun
12-08-2016, 11:32 AM
i think SAKO and 338wing mag..are only joking..just plain humour..no one can really seriosly say ..you cant protect youself if bear in attacing in the bush..
Well done Jeff...not to shooting bears,,just giving them a lesson about hunters..8)

olympia
12-08-2016, 11:36 AM
i think SAKO and 338wing mag..are only joking..just plain humour..no one can really seriosly say ..you cant protect youself if bear in attacing in the bush..
Well done Jeff...not to shooting bears,,just giving them a lesson about hunters..8)

Yeah your right

adriaticum
12-08-2016, 11:39 AM
They charged him. Care to explain why he shoud be charged if he had shot one or both?

Basically if you encounter dangerous wildlife you are expected to attempt and do you best to vacate the area.
If you don't attempt that and you end up killing a bear because it charged you, you could be charged by the COs.

Bonz
12-08-2016, 11:45 AM
hed be charged most likly, budy was. bear came at family, he stepped between and took the grizz down. self reported and lost his stuff for a year an charged. said he couldnt prove beyond a doubt it would fully attack till your in its mouth basicly.

4x4
12-08-2016, 12:02 PM
I bet you would be in a whole lot of trouble if you did.
I'm no grizzly expert but the size difference between these two bears indicates that they are not siblings.
Momma and cub Spy.

Left one is the mother.

Agree with you adriaticum.

That's a mother bear with yearlings. Typically cubs/yearlings stay with the mother for 2 - 3 years.

dracb
12-08-2016, 12:20 PM
Well I have seen what a 2 year old looks like alive and than dead ! These two are larger and both have well developed humps, they are not cubs.

There is a certain amount of logic to your observation, but lets dissect this situation so that no one else makes an unfortunate mistake that leads to a "bracing" discussion with a CO.

First off let us keep in mind the time of the year; September or October or possibly even November, but Autumn in any case. A second point to consider is the spatial and apparent social association of two Gbears of significantly disparate size. One needs to ask oneself if this possibly a family group.

Those bears are just about as big and fat as they will be in this particular year. If male and female siblings, the larger one, based on morphological studies, might weigh 30% to rarely 50% more than the smaller female. The larger bear looks like it weighs as much as or more than twice the weight of the smaller one. Let us not forget that if the smaller bear is a yearling, it has (given the lateness of the season) the benefit two growing seasons. It is actually more massive at this point in time than it will be when it emerges from the den the following Spring as a 2 year old. So yes, you have seen 2 year old Gbears alive and dead. You just forgot that that a yearling bear achieves the same or very similar length, height and head size as an emerging 2 year old six months or so earlier than it becomes legal game (if not in a family group). A yearling headed to the den for the winter is actually a much more impressive animal than it will be as an emerging 2 year old.

While some rare grizzly bears seem not to develop humps, that hump is an iconic identifier of the Gbear. It is an evolutionary adaptation of musculature allowing the Gbear to dig out burrowing rodents and to have quick burst of speed running. There are many photographs for those willing to look of Gbears early in their yearling class that show humps. Having taken various training in distinguishing Gbears from black bears, I remember all of the course material emphasized the hump as a distinguishing characteristic. Never was there an admonition to take care that young Gbears the same size and color as black bears do not have humps or even commonly may lack humps. Given the $50,000 price tag for making a mistake I am sure that if young Gbears lack humps the fact would have been underlined, bolded, italicized and maybe even larger font if that mythical missing hump was a potential source of species identification error. I think res ipsa loquitur the fat little bugger in the photographs is well adapted to digging rodents and roots and ripping up logs, but that was part of your observation

olympia
12-08-2016, 12:53 PM
hed be charged most likly, budy was. bear came at family, he stepped between and took the grizz down. self reported and lost his stuff for a year an charged. said he couldnt prove beyond a doubt it would fully attack till your in its mouth basicly.

Oh man thats not cool. I see what u guys are saying. Unfortunately if i was in the same situation ur buddy id never forgive myself if i didnt shoot and something happened to my wife or kids...i guess it would be a 50,000 dollar hit.

Spy
12-08-2016, 12:59 PM
There is a certain amount of logic to your observation, but lets dissect this situation so that no one else makes an unfortunate mistake that leads to a "bracing" discussion with a CO.

First off let us keep in mind the time of the year; September or October or possibly even November, but Autumn in any case. A second point to consider is the spatial and apparent social association of two Gbears of significantly disparate size. One needs to ask oneself if this possibly a family group.

Those bears are just about as big and fat as they will be in this particular year. If male and female siblings, the larger one, based on morphological studies, might weigh 30% to rarely 50% more than the smaller female. The larger bear looks like it weighs as much as or more than twice the weight of the smaller one. Let us not forget that if the smaller bear is a yearling, it has (given the lateness of the season) the benefit two growing seasons. It is actually more massive at this point in time than it will be when it emerges from the den the following Spring as a 2 year old. So yes, you have seen 2 year old Gbears alive and dead. You just forgot that that a yearling bear achieves the same or very similar length, height and head size as an emerging 2 year old six months or so earlier than it become legal game (if not in a family group). A yearling headed to the den for the winter is actually a much more impressive animal than it will be as an emerging 2 year old.

While some rare grizzly bears seem not to develop humps, that hump is an iconic identifier of the Gbear. It is an evolutionary adaptation of musculature allowing the Gbear to dig out burrowing rodents and to have quick burst of speed running. There are many photographs for those willing to look of Gbears early in their yearling class that show humps. Having taken various training in distinguishing Gbears from black bears, I remember all of the course material emphasized the hump as a distinguishing characteristic. Never was there an admonition to take care that young Gbears the same size and color as black bears do not have humps or even commonly may lack humps. Given the $50,000 price tag for making a mistake I am sure that if young Gbears lack humps the fact would have been underlined, bolded, italicized and maybe even larger font if that mythical missing hump was a potential source of species identification error. I think res ipsa loquitur the fat little bugger in the photographs is well adapted to digging rodents and roots and ripping up logs, but that was part of your observation
You have gone to allot of effort too prove your point. I do not know enough about bears too dispute your claims. I do still think they are older than 2 years and see the same things as Olympia sees. We could all be wrong!Any of the BIG bear hunters on HBC want to chime in. I am guessing their age and have no proof just the pics to go on. As some have mentioned it's a good educational thread.

Bonz
12-08-2016, 01:05 PM
Oh man thats not cool. I see what u guys are saying. Unfortunately if i was in the same situation ur buddy id never forgive myself if i didnt shoot and something happened to my wife or kids...i guess it would be a 50,000 dollar hit.

he`d do it again if it came down to it he says. and so would i if in that situation.

dracb
12-08-2016, 02:10 PM
You have gone to allot of effort too prove your point. I do not know enough about bears too dispute your claims. I do still think they are older than 2 years and see the same things as Olympia sees. We could all be wrong!Any of the BIG bear hunters on HBC want to chime in. I am guessing their age and have no proof just the pics to go on. As some have mentioned it's a good educational thread.

Spy,
The conundrum of how to deal with this class of Gbear is one I have spent considerable time thinking about and researching in an effort to avoid making mistakes on the job to other persons disadvantage. All I really wanted to do in this thread is bring forward an introduction to some concepts and observations beyond strictly the size of the bear that might help someone rationalize whether they really want to pull the trigger or not.

I also want to make clear the points I made in this thread are my own thoughts and do not represent the official view of any government agency or business what so ever.

Bonz
12-08-2016, 02:18 PM
im no hot shot grizzly hunter but done a pile of bears., i dont see the young being much older than 2-3 at most personaly
foll9owed a few on my cams over the seasons and they grow alot from year to year as i see them again following season
i have a family of blacks on cam that the 2 cub apear to have doubled if not tripple in size their fist year, small dog looking in spring. last i saw them month ago they are st bernard size now almost

Spy
12-08-2016, 02:29 PM
Spy,
The conundrum of how to deal with this class of Gbear is one I have spent considerable time thinking about and researching in an effort to avoid making mistakes on the job to other persons disadvantage. All I really wanted to do in this thread is bring forward an introduction to some concepts and observations beyond strictly the size of the bear that might help someone rationalize whether they really want to pull the trigger or not.

I also want to make clear the points I made in this thread are my own thoughts and do not represent the official view of any government agency or business what so ever.
Thanks for the explanation, we are all learning all the time.
Cheers
Spy

houndogger
12-08-2016, 03:33 PM
Hey spy won't be long and your buddy Mr. Weaver will have you jailed for even thinking to yourself about killing a indangered grizzly bear. lol

Bonz
12-08-2016, 03:48 PM
dont forget the antihunter jassmine on here that would take that info and spread it to throw us all under a bus

dracb
12-08-2016, 04:04 PM
Bonz

That was part of the point I was trying to bring forward. Bears grow a bunch over a summer growing season. Next Spring those chubby little buggers will be slimmed down after hibernation and next season those skinny St. Bernard sized yearlings that emerge next Spring will get longer, taller and heavier still by the end of that growing season. The difference between a yearling in the Spring and the same bear in the Fall is quite substantial but it remains a yearling class bear.

Bonz
12-08-2016, 04:08 PM
Bonz

That was part of the point I was trying to bring forward. Bears grow a bunch over a summer growing season. Next Spring those chubby little buggers will be slimmed down after hibernation and next season those skinny St. Bernard sized yearlings that emerge next Spring will get longer, taller and heavier still by the end of that growing season. The difference between a yearling in the Spring and the same bear in the Fall is quite substantial but it remains a yearling class bear.

ya saw mom in spring. ugly and thin and all patchy fur. by end it was filled out and mint coat on her, dont doubt she put on close to double he body weight from seeing her on cam
i just call em all cubs till their on their own, i dont use he yearling term, i know its proper

Deer_Slayer
12-09-2016, 09:17 PM
Great pics and glad you walked away unscathed and the bears too. Two teenage punks taught a good lesson.

Deer_Slayer
12-09-2016, 09:23 PM
Right on brotha!

walks with deer
12-09-2016, 09:40 PM
Right on brotha?

J_06
12-11-2016, 11:06 PM
It a neologism. Well, outside of ebonics I suppose it is. Your nutz OP! 30 yards and the camera comes out haha.