PDA

View Full Version : Leh Grizzly in 3-44 or 3-43

snipersights
11-30-2016, 12:49 PM
Hey just trying to decide where to enter this year and this looks like the place. It's only about 7 hours away and the odds are great. Jw if anyone has any info they would be willing to share about the area.

smallfry14
11-30-2016, 01:10 PM
I grew up in the area and I've never seen a grizzly in my life until I went up north. With that said, I've never specifically looked for grizz, just never ran into one..they are definitely there. The bush is thick and there's usually lots of snow, depending on your timing you may or may not make it very far in the bush roads. If you're into hunting above treeline, I can give you google earth pics and a route to take that gets you into the alpine without much hassle. Check your thread from last year where I posted some pics.
side note: good potential to run into a Cranker black bear if you're looking for grizz. High numbers of black bears in both units.

Ltbullken
11-30-2016, 01:57 PM
Lots of black bears in those MU's for sure. Only seen griz sign in there twice. Can't get into back valleys and slides until mid May but can sled or snowshoe in. Apparently, east end of Mud Lake is the place to go, if you can get in there. There are griz and I know people who've taken griz from the area. There are better areas for sure. Gorgeous country.

Looking_4_Jerky
12-02-2016, 01:16 AM
Have run into G-bears up Serpentine Cr many years ago. Both in the timber and above tree line. A few years back I ran into a couple that were on a kill right off the highway south of Valemount, probably in the north-most section of 3-43. They are around, but I have no idea what numbers are like nowadays.

swampthing
12-02-2016, 09:31 AM
I have seen grizz in the tum tum area pretty much every time I took my boys black bear hunting there. I tried for the draw for a few years without luck

smallfry14
12-02-2016, 09:43 AM
This got me thinking, and I've never actually heard of anyone killing grizz from this area..not even a friend of a friend for me...does anyone have pics of grizz that have come outta here? I grew up there and when I apply for grizz I put in elsewhere, it would be interesting to see the critters that have come outta here..

Ltbullken
12-02-2016, 11:47 AM
This got me thinking, and I've never actually heard of anyone killing grizz from this area..not even a friend of a friend for me...does anyone have pics of grizz that have come outta here? I grew up there and when I apply for grizz I put in elsewhere, it would be interesting to see the critters that have come outta here..

I have a friend who got one!

srupp
12-02-2016, 01:07 PM
Hmm the Tum tum has some nice bears. .some times more or less.they move considerably..both distance and elevation..but not real serious numbers..but hunt able. .

Much better concentrations not all that far....pm..
Cheers
Srupp

Wild one
12-02-2016, 01:40 PM
Better options in my opinion

snipersights
01-01-2017, 11:31 AM
As far as I can see there's no leh season in tumtum lake area

butcher
01-01-2017, 07:36 PM
The 3-37 draw includes 3-42, which tum tum is in.

snipersights
01-02-2017, 08:51 AM
It would appear that you're right butcher thanks I totally missed that

steelslinger
01-02-2017, 09:26 AM
Use to see grizzlies around Adams lots in the spring doing burning and planting.

khoffnbud
01-03-2017, 07:21 AM
Of those two areas, personally I have seen way more griz in 3-44 than 3-43 and know of two people who have taken grizz out of 3-44. Biggest boar I've ever personally seen was up mileage cr when it was still open to the back end.

01-03-2017, 09:47 AM
What I don't get about Grizz draws here is this.
They have a caribou issue, no doubt the g bears get some bous, the hills helicopter skiing is a HUGE industry here. Putting more pressure on the Caribou. Likely has a lot to do with the demise of the Bou.

Yet the Grizz season on LEH here closes two weeks shorter then most others, want to save the Bou, and keep some Grizz, open the darn season longer so more access can be had into Mantaeu, Canvas, Lemperierre, and further. Access is an issue because of snow pack. On top of this, the area used to be a great spot for moose, well that's crashed too. No doubt access, wolves, g bears and skiing all play a part in the moose demise as well. Want to save some moose, shoot more Grizz.

Open them longer.

Ltbullken
01-03-2017, 11:05 AM
What I don't get about Grizz draws here is this.
They have a caribou issue, no doubt the g bears get some bous, the hills helicopter skiing is a HUGE industry here. Putting more pressure on the Caribou. Likely has a lot to do with the demise of the Bou.

Yet the Grizz season on LEH here closes two weeks shorter then most others, want to save the Bou, and keep some Grizz, open the darn season longer so more access can be had into Mantaeu, Canvas, Lemperierre, and further. Access is an issue because of snow pack. On top of this, the area used to be a great spot for moose, well that's crashed too. No doubt access, wolves, g bears and skiing all play a part in the moose demise as well. Want to save some moose, shoot more Grizz.

Open them longer.

At risk of drawing someone's ire, I've seen plenty of evidence of snowmobilers riding the area as well although I believe it is supposed to be closed. I've gone in there bear hunting/scouting in the spring and have seen tracks headed up branch roads, etc., so assume that could mean sledders are heading up to the alpine. Compacted tracks, wolves (and they are in there), and you have a highway for predators to get at the caribou. Maybe not, but just my 2 cents...

khoffnbud
01-03-2017, 03:23 PM
At risk of drawing someone's ire, I've seen plenty of evidence of snowmobilers riding the area as well although I believe it is supposed to be closed. I've gone in there bear hunting/scouting in the spring and have seen tracks headed up branch roads, etc., so assume that could mean sledders are heading up to the alpine. Compacted tracks, wolves (and they are in there), and you have a highway for predators to get at the caribou. Maybe not, but just my 2 cents...

Definatly, have seen what you speak several times myself as well. As far as the wolves? Why do you think there's no LEH goat in 3-44 anymore.

walks with deer
01-04-2017, 10:20 PM
Seen a big board this October nasty attitude too blue river airport. got some pics nasty bear

Deer_Slayer
02-04-2017, 12:27 PM
try to get as close to 4-39 as you can. Lots of grizz off Kinbasket. Bush is thick and access difficult, but there are some bruisers in there. Warn you too..they are aggressive too. Top end is best, but a hellish hike. Good to pack a defender is bushwacking. Good luck

smallfry14
02-04-2017, 01:26 PM
Seen a big board this October nasty attitude too blue river airport. got some pics nasty bear
Could you post some pics? Seen literally 100's of bears around there but never a grizz!

Deer_Slayer
02-08-2017, 07:33 AM
wish I had some pics but the days when I hunted up there digital cameras and cell phones didn't exist. Many hunting trips are only in the memory banks. Wish I had taken a camera along but never did.

JAGRMEISTER
02-08-2017, 04:17 PM
Go where the stats say the denser population of Grizz are, not by proximity and "odds" of the draw!

snipersights
02-08-2017, 07:28 PM
There's supposively great numbers in my main choice and pretty good in my second. Thanks to all the great help I got on here I am hopeful. This site is a great resource. Thanks everyone for all your help.