PDA

View Full Version : First Lite clothing

todbartell
11-29-2016, 09:21 PM
Did a search on HBC but didn't come up with much talk about First Lite

I took advantage of a pretty decent sale they had on their site and ordered some pieces

Allegheny 230g Merino Bottom
Kanab 2.0 Merino Pant
Corrugate Duraflex Guide Pant
Llano 170g Merino Quarter Zip
Chama 230g Merino Quarter Zip
Merino Neck Gaiter
Merino Beanie

Really like Merino wool for anything outdoors, look forward to trying this First Lite stuff. Most reviews are great!

dru88
11-29-2016, 09:36 PM
I have been looking at trying some first lite gear myself please post a review once you receive your package if you don't mind

Everett
11-29-2016, 09:42 PM
I have been using there rain jacket and kanab pants for several years awesome stuff

RoverHound
11-29-2016, 10:16 PM
Great gear, best merino IMO. I like the companies message too, don't take themselves too seriously. The chama hoody is the most versatile piece there is.

frankthedog
11-29-2016, 10:28 PM
Been meaning to buy some...have to save up first...the company seems awesome though. Listen to the MeatEater Podcast, there is a guy on there quite often who works for First Lite and he seems all about hunting.

SR80
11-30-2016, 07:22 AM
I really like the guide pants, llano, and chama, shale gloves and uncomphagre jacket. The pants took from customizing to get the fit right for me, but now they are one of my fav pants.

Ron.C
11-30-2016, 08:24 AM
They have some nice stuff but don't use the Llano shirts as your only layer when carrying a pack in warm weather. They will have holes in them by days end. That said, they are great if your intentions are to use them as a base layer. .

Elkaholic
11-30-2016, 08:42 AM
They have some nice stuff but don't use the Llano shirts as your only layer when carrying a pack in warm weather. They will have holes in them by days end. That said, they are great if your intentions are to use them as a base layer. .

I have been eyeing first lite for some time as I love wool clothes. This was always a worry of mine, how would the merino hold up to abuse. I would love to hear more first hand from the guys that use and love the stuff.

island6
11-30-2016, 10:05 AM
Had some issues with the Kanabs but their customer service was awesome and now have the Corrugates which are better in my opinion ! Also just got the uncompahgre puffy this season and it is unreal!

Sambor
11-30-2016, 10:10 AM
I have First Lite clothing (pants, longjons and sweater) and I really like it, especially socks!

MB_Boy
11-30-2016, 10:38 AM
Did a search on HBC but didn't come up with much talk about First Lite

I took advantage of a pretty decent sale they had on their site and ordered some pieces

Kanab 2.0 Merino Pant
Merino Neck Gaiter
Merino Beanie

Really like Merino wool for anything outdoors, look forward to trying this First Lite stuff. Most reviews are great!

Keep us posted. Mark have you ever used Icebreaker, or does anyone on here have a first hand comparison of the two?

Most of my stuff is IB but have been reading more and more about FL and considering trying some.

charlie_horse
11-30-2016, 10:50 AM
I bought the kanab 2.0 pants in September for my elk hunt. I loved them. Got home and put them through the wash, and I don't recall putting them through the dryer but the gf might have. Anyways they shrunk pretty good and I looked pretty hip out in the field with my new skinny kanabs 2.0 I've washed them once since then without the dryer, and they shrunk again to the point of unusable. Also I ripped the hip pocket stitching but it could have been from a antler going through not sure.

Anyways, when they were new and functional best pant I've owned, first lite says they will warranty so I'll try them again, bit obviously I wasn't impressed.

BigD_83
11-30-2016, 10:55 AM
I like my Kanab pants. I was a little disappointed in how light they were, and probably would not have chosen them at the time I bought them, had I the opportunity to see them in person.

They are a fine early to mid season pant, however.

Everett
11-30-2016, 04:32 PM
Keep us posted. Mark have you ever used Icebreaker, or does anyone on here have a first hand comparison of the two?

Most of my stuff is IB but have been reading more and more about FL and considering trying some.

For merino wool base layers Icebreaker is the best on the market I have alot of it.

Wentrot
11-30-2016, 04:45 PM
First lite is excellent. My collection is slowly growing.Zero complaints with anything I own.

Sitkaspruce
11-30-2016, 07:28 PM
I have been using Icebreaker for a first layer and love them, bought a pair of IB field pants and so far so good. Great pants of early to mod season, wear well and move with you.

http://www.altitude-sports.com/en/icebreaker-mens-field-pants-ice-101233-en?gclid=CjwKEAiAjvrBBRDxm_nRusW3q1QSJAAzRI1tmMoE6 bg7KHP0p7o9ldMPlV6jwKplZwg8r3OrQyKGKxoC34nw_wcB

I see that they have a new set of pants out that incorporate softshell and merino wool.

http://ca.icebreaker.com/en/midlayers/ika-pants/102683.html?dwvar_102683_color=301

If FL is as good or better than the IC stuff, I will be taking a look at it.

Cheers

SS

LBM
11-30-2016, 07:54 PM
I like the chama hoody, I also have a fair collection of ice breaker and have found it to be the strongest so far.
Ice breaker has a sale on now with some good prices.
Smart wool has worn out the quickest for me.
Ibex has been fairly good
Trying a helly Hansen and a arcteryx wool shirt this year to see how they stand up the sales person said they
are both strong so will see.

Squamch
11-30-2016, 09:43 PM
Is there a store in BC (better yet, on the island) that sells this stuff? I'm a tall skinny guy and I'd like to try stuff on before flinging money at it.

JLsteel
12-01-2016, 10:37 AM
I have the

Chama Hoody
Llano Tee
North branch pants
Grizzly gloves

Chama hoody is one of my favourite pieces and north branch pants are pretty good during cold weather

RiverRunner
12-01-2016, 08:53 PM
I bought the kanab 2.0 pants in September for my elk hunt. I loved them. Got home and put them through the wash, and I don't recall putting them through the dryer but the gf might have. Anyways they shrunk pretty good and I looked pretty hip out in the field with my new skinny kanabs 2.0 I've washed them once since then without the dryer, and they shrunk again to the point of unusable. Also I ripped the hip pocket stitching but it could have been from a antler going through not sure.

Anyways, when they were new and functional best pant I've owned, first lite says they will warranty so I'll try them again, bit obviously I wasn't impressed.

too unshrink wool clothing..,. Hand wash with hair conditioner you have in the bathroom. Let it set in for 30 min... then rinse. Lay flat to air dry on towels and gently pull and stretch the garment into shape every half hour or so.
The conditioner releases the wool fibers.
I resurrected a few pieces my wife shrunk.

google it.... or YouTube search it.

true story

charlie_horse
12-01-2016, 09:59 PM
ill check that out but that sounds like wizardry.

RiverRunner
12-03-2016, 11:52 PM
hahahaha….

no wizardry

khoffnbud
12-06-2016, 07:16 PM
Red desert boxers, really good, quite long so they don't tend to ride up at all.

RadHimself
12-06-2016, 10:51 PM
I have the aleghany, llano log sleeve, chama hoody, the halstead fleece, the allenghany and llano hwy weight xp, woodbury jackt, kanab 2.0's, SEAK jacket and stormtight pants.

love this layering kit, has me covered from hot spring days hiking to torrential downpours for days on end in region 4 to still hunting and sitting in late november region 3/8...

Id buy it all again, havnt had a single issue. The SEAK u can litterally throw in a creek, pull it out, shake it off and put it back on and be dry

the first lite rep ur talkin about on the Meateater podcast is Ryan Callahan, olcal406 on instagram

Adult_Onset_Hunter
12-07-2016, 11:40 AM
Is there a store in BC (better yet, on the island) that sells this stuff? I'm a tall skinny guy and I'd like to try stuff on before flinging money at it.

I picked some up from Vantage Point Outfitters a while back. Good guy to deal with. Most of it is pre-ordered I think so not sure if there is a physical store.
http://www.vantagepoint-outfitters.com/

The Hermit
12-07-2016, 11:43 AM
I have a fair bit of FL gear if anyone wants to try it on and get a sense of sizing. Give me a call to tee up a time. In Sidney BC area. 250-five eight eight - 4720

charlie_horse
12-07-2016, 01:02 PM
Anyone tried the uncomphraghe puffy?

Buck
12-07-2016, 01:34 PM
Anyone tried the uncomphraghe puffy?

I have one. Very warm, blocks wind, size down if you have an athletic build.Only complaint I have is the zipper is Terrible they have changed that since I bought mine two years ago.

island6
12-07-2016, 05:15 PM
Got the puffy in September and love it. I found they fit quite large I would typically wear an XL and I wear the uncomphraghe puffy in a Large, so I had to exchange it and their customer service team was excellent. Same with the pants normally a large and wear a medium. The zipper on the puffy now is a YKK zipper with a first lite pull i have had no issues with it mind you it is newer. The adjustment on the hood is also a plus, My only complaint is there is not much insulation in the collar. Anyone else have this with their uncomphraghe?

RadHimself
12-07-2016, 10:17 PM
Grouse river has quite a bit of the gear now... basspro in calgary

xfactor
12-07-2016, 11:03 PM
Basspro in tsawwassen has a few items. Not sure which ones though.

SR80
12-08-2016, 07:30 AM
Got the puffy in September and love it. I found they fit quite large I would typically wear an XL and I wear the uncomphraghe puffy in a Large, so I had to exchange it and their customer service team was excellent. Same with the pants normally a large and wear a medium. The zipper on the puffy now is a YKK zipper with a first lite pull i have had no issues with it mind you it is newer. The adjustment on the hood is also a plus, My only complaint is there is not much insulation in the collar. Anyone else have this with their uncomphraghe?

have one as well, there isnt much insulation in the neck or hood portion but it still seems to do the job. I really like the fit of the collar and hood on this jacket. Some collars are so tight they are uncomfortable to zip up all the way. Jacket fits big, so size down for sure like people have mentioned.

todbartell
12-22-2016, 11:18 AM
Kanab 2.0 Merino Pant
Merino Neck Gaiter
Merino Beanie

received it all yesterday - awesome stuff! Quality for sure

Ryo
12-22-2016, 11:39 AM
I've been thinking about the chama hoody for shed hunting in tick country. Having my neck exposed gives me the creeps.

coleman
12-22-2016, 01:15 PM
Of the two pair of pants which do you like better the Kanab or the Guide. Cheers

todbartell
12-22-2016, 06:54 PM
Of the two pair of pants which do you like better the Kanab or the Guide. Cheers

Haven't worn them except in my living room, but if I had to pick one I'd go Guide. Very stretchy fabric! Both are great though, I'll know better later

Wentrot
12-22-2016, 09:25 PM
The guides are heavenly

Johnnybear
12-22-2016, 10:58 PM
Give us a field report Mark and keep us updated. Thanks for starting this thread :smile:.

SR80
12-23-2016, 07:38 AM
the guide pants are awesome pants, one of my favorite for sure. Probably the stretchiest pants ive ever worn, dry faster than any pant ive worn as well.

RadHimself
12-23-2016, 10:51 AM
Blackovis.com

lintonoutdoors.com (in the same town as firstlite they have everything in stock)

todbartell
12-28-2016, 12:55 AM
Wore the

Kanab 2.0 Merino Pant
Merino Neck Gaiter
Merino Beanie

Today was -1c and quite windy, I hiked 5km looking for a coyote. Was very comfortable, put on my Sitka Traverse Cold Weather hoody overtop. No issues thus far!

Carbonmatrix
01-02-2017, 07:56 AM
I ordered a bunch of FL gear this year and tested it out up north. I ran the Stormfront jacket and pants as my rain set, the puffy, Halstead tech fleece, chama hoody, llano, Kanab 2.0, beanie+neck, allegheny base layer pants and red boxer shorts.

Rain gear: wasn't anything special for the most part, I still got wet underneath after a light drizzle, and it took forever to dry.
Puffy: loved it, nice and warm. Runs kinda big tho
Halstead tech fleece: Nice and warm, never really had to reach for the puffy a lot when I layered with the chama and the fleece.
Chama Hoody: Nice and light but found it was getting little holes all over as the merino is very fragile and it went from a nice fit to very saggy
llano base: Loved it next to skin.
Kanab 2.0: Never again -_- altho nice light pants, I found it got wet so easily from dew etc and stayed wet forever.
Beanie+Neck: Legit pieces of gear, especially the neck gaiter. You can use it around your neck or head. Loved this piece.
Allegheny base pants: Awesome pants but the issue with holes forming all over randomly.
Red Boxer shorts: Best thing I currently own by FL. Long cut, keeps the jewels happy and moisture free and just overall amazing. I ordered a few more for everyday use.

SR80
01-02-2017, 09:42 AM
i have a chama hoody that also formed tiny holes in the hood after washing it once. I thought it snagged something in the wash but im hearing more and more people say this has happened. Llano is a great base though.

dru88
01-02-2017, 09:54 AM
do you own any First light gear to compare with the Icebreaker?

For merino wool base layers Icebreaker is the best on the market I have alot of it.

todbartell
02-01-2017, 05:47 PM
loving the FL merino stuff. Have been wearing the Allegheny 230g bottoms and 170g Llano top lately when going for a run, underneath the Guide pant and Chama 230g top. I didn't buy this stuff for running, just want to test out how it performs. Regulates body temp well from -10 to +5 and windy as hell. 6km run, the Llano base will be soaked in my back. Dry it off and wear it again. Have done three runs, even the wife says it don't stink. Love it!!

AgSilver
02-01-2017, 05:59 PM
Are you going to start carrying it?

todbartell
02-01-2017, 07:59 PM
no don't think so. Small store and a limited amount of retail floorspace to share with Sitka. But who knows in the future. I am a big fan that's for sure!

KRM270
02-08-2017, 01:08 AM
I have been wearing First Lite for a couple of years and I love their Merino Wool Gear! It is well made, and priced accordingly for wool clothing.
-Kanab Pant -Uncompahgre Jacket (Just bought it, I think it will be great but it is not made of silent material)
-Llano shirt -All in ASAT camo
-Wool T-shirt
-Wool neck gaiter

LBM
02-13-2017, 03:17 PM
Ice breaker merino is on sale again as well as taiga has there merino on sale
First lite was having a sale but not sure if it is over

donny.brooke
02-13-2017, 04:41 PM
All first lite is 30% off at Grouse River til March 31st

donny.brooke
02-25-2017, 09:27 PM
Got the uncomphagre puffy vest for 30% off at grouse. Pretty warm but not quiet.

todbartell
02-26-2017, 12:43 AM
It's like the Sitka Kelvin, designed as insulation layer

GetLethal
02-26-2017, 10:21 AM
Got the uncomphagre puffy vest for 30% off at grouse. Pretty warm but not quiet.
I had this in my cart and almost went for it but ended up getting a great deal on the new badlands puffy vest.

todbartell
05-13-2017, 12:57 PM
I grabbed a bunch more gear

Uncompahgre Puffy Insulated Jacket in Cipher
Minaret Aerowool Crew Top in Cipher
Chama 230g Merino Hoody in Cipher
Glenbrook 3/4 Length Aerowool Bottoms
Red Desert 170g Merino Boxer Short
Corrugate Guide Pant in Cipher
Lo Pro Hat
Mountain Athlete Compression Sock

loving the First Lite gear! Going to give it a good test next week on a bear hunt

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
05-14-2017, 04:01 PM

i use Icebreaker . i would say its great stuff. but i would also say its just a name . the quality of the wool is the price setter . so if First lite has the same . i would say it doesnt make a differnce .

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
05-14-2017, 04:03 PM
I grabbed a bunch more gear

Uncompahgre Puffy Insulated Jacket in Cipher
Minaret Aerowool Crew Top in Cipher
Chama 230g Merino Hoody in Cipher
Glenbrook 3/4 Length Aerowool Bottoms
Red Desert 170g Merino Boxer Short
Corrugate Guide Pant in Cipher
Lo Pro Hat

loving the First Lite gear! Going to give it a good test next week on a bear hunt
i would love to hear the prices on all that .. if you got time for that . and of course all the reviews you can sum up .

todbartell
05-14-2017, 09:19 PM
pricing is on First Lite's website. Loving the Puffy already, wore it this morning under my rain jacket it was +3 and windy/rain out on the shooting range at first light. Was very comfortable

ditch donkey
05-14-2017, 10:02 PM
picked corrugates today as well. another great product

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
05-15-2017, 12:03 AM
pricing is on First Lite's website. Loving the Puffy already, wore it this morning under my rain jacket it was +3 and windy/rain out on the shooting range at first light. Was very comfortable

Sweet .. Wish there was a store to go and try some on .. hate ordering stuff..

Wentrot
05-15-2017, 07:54 AM

Fully agree reed on that one, the puffy is amazing

todbartell
05-15-2017, 09:14 AM
and it's really not as puffy as I was expecting, fits under a jacket easily without being like a stay puft

RadHimself
05-15-2017, 10:32 AM
the currogate guides are deadly

todbartell
05-31-2017, 09:12 PM
Uncompahgre Puffy Insulated Jacket in Cipher - great insulation piece. Very packable
Minaret Aerowool Crew Top in Cipher - Awesome first layer for warm weather hunts
Chama 230g Merino Hoody in Cipher - Layer on top of Aerowool for cool mornings or evenings. Hood is great when the mosquitos are out in force
Glenbrook 3/4 Length Aerowool Bottoms Haven't worn these alot yet, but basically a lightweight boxer short that goes to just below the knee. Probably great for cool mornings in late September when you want a base layer bottom but don't want to be cooking by midday or when hiking hard
Red Desert 170g Merino Boxer Short very comfortable and if you get them in cipher camo you dont have to worry about shart stains
Corrugate Guide Pant in Cipher next to Sitka's Ascent pant, probably my favorite hunting pant I've ever worn. Stretchy, fast drying. Just so comfortable. Great pockets
Lo Pro Hat comfortable, breathes good. Has leather backstrap like old school Starter hockey hats

Highlander Hunting
06-02-2017, 06:20 AM
I was looking at the Kanab2 pants at Bass Pro last night. I like merino whenever possible but they only had really large sizes in stock.
One thing on them that could be an issue- theres a metal button on the side of the knee, looks like it could get uncomfortable when glassing.
Anyone have that issue?

John,
www.highlanderhunting.podbean.com

ajr5406
06-19-2017, 01:47 PM
How does the First Lite Chama fit?

Im 6'3" and 220lb (athletic build), and am looking at the XL. Anyone around the same size have one?

nazarow
06-19-2017, 08:27 PM
I'm 6'3 220 and have the large chama hoody. Fits fine.

todbartell
10-31-2017, 09:45 AM
nice 40% sale on ASAT & Pine on FL website today and tomorrow

swampthing
11-01-2017, 05:52 PM
How is the shipping from these guys? I guess you get hit with a hefty duty similar to kuiu orders?

tailgate77
11-01-2017, 08:56 PM
I just recieved a Cypher chama in large. It fits really small. I have had three others in various patterns and solids and they fit great. The wool isn’t as soft either. Not sure if I just got bad one or they changed something. Just something to keep in mind.

Swampthing like all products made in China, there are import duties to pay when they come feom the US. Plus GST and handling fees. Kuiu has estimated the duties in their prices so it isn’t such a shock, you don’t have to pay at the post office or Fed-Ex.