PDA

View Full Version : Reasonable Mileage

ratherbefishin
07-04-2007, 07:02 AM
I am well aware that how any vehicle has been used /serviced is a major factor when looking at purchasing used, but what would a reasonable mileage be for a used quad, before major repairs would be expected? I would be looking at something in the 300-400 CC range-typical hunting rigs,not off road racing .Also-what makes and models have stood up well over say-10 years?What would you expect to pay for a 10 year old Yamaha Big Bear in good condition?

Mr. Dean
07-04-2007, 09:34 AM
Prices will likely be ALL over the map on a 10 year old machine. I got a machine (Kodiac) that 18 years old. It's never let me down but I have no idea what it's worth.

Chuck
07-04-2007, 10:08 AM
I've just been there inquiring for my bro, who wants to buy a used one he can afford ($3000). I was advised - don't buy used because its probably had its life. Expect to pay 6 to 7 thousand for a reasonable new machine, but nothing fancy or heavy duty. I don't know much about this topic, but the way I see it, I'd look for a Geo tracker or Suzuki swift that still has a little life in it and probably less than 6 or 7 thousand. He also said watch out for the Chinese toys. I've heard from someone who apparently knows, that Alberta is the place to go, as they are a dime a dozen there. My 2 cents.

Steeleco
07-04-2007, 11:11 AM
Prices will likely be ALL over the map on a 10 year old machine. I got a machine (Kodiac) that 18 years old. It's never let me down but I have no idea what it's worth.

POS, give it to me I'll dispose of it for you!:biggrin::biggrin:

They're machines like all others, some good, worth more, some not.

Never having owned one, but one thing to watch out for is the machine that used to be a rental, there was a run of "good used" units for sale last year IIRC they were ex-Whistler rentals, they'd had the bag run off of them.

Fisher-Dude
07-04-2007, 02:23 PM
You can find a 10 year old machine that was well cared for and has 5000 miles on it, that will run like a top. You can also find a 2 year old machine that has been trashed with only 1000 miles on it. Look for broken plastic and dented up skid pans, the first clue that they have been bashed.

Another trick I learned from a quad mechanic (thanks Dr John!) is to support the rear wheels off the ground in 2WD (not possible on some Japanese bikes that don't switch out of 4WD), and run it up to 20 kph or so (SAFETY FIRST!). If you notice any shake or oscillation of the bike's body, it may indicate bent front shafts from a serious rollover, as the front end on many bikes spins freewheel in 2WD. That's a thousand dollar fix on most models.

Grandpa's quad is often a good deal, but make sure the old skipper had it serviced properly. Ask for records. Water and grime are nasty things that most quads live in...fluids should be changed regularly in the diffs, transmission, and engine.

A pretty good used quad can be had for around $5000. They hold their value really well, so I don't expect you'll find one much cheaper in good shape.

Caveman
07-04-2007, 02:53 PM
Like anything, look for abuse, an older owner who would look after it, $3000 would get you a decent machine less than 10 years old I'd think

Rock Doctor
07-04-2007, 03:47 PM
I have 2 Honda 300's, one of them is 18yrs old and the other is 11yrs old, both still going strong. Both of them have oversized, aftermarket tires on them which are hard on riggin' (bearings, tie rid ends, U-joints, splines, ect) but with a little bit of work anything can be fixed by a backyard mechanic on the older machines, there is no rocket science involved in fixing quads. my 2 cents worth.

ratherbefishin
07-04-2007, 08:32 PM
theres got to be a few quads around that are mainly usedfor hunting-one or two trips a year-and in 10 years they may not have racked up all that much mileage.I agree-servicing in crucial-but without records-how would you know if a vehicle had been serviced or not?

moosinaround
07-04-2007, 08:44 PM
I bought three used quads last year. Bought one privately and two from a dealer. One of the bikes I bought from the dealer wasn't running right so I took it back and they had to rebuild the top end of the motor. They footed the bill and I was off runnin. I would buy used again, it sure beats the price of a new bike, like half I would say. I got three bikes for the price of one brand new one. I had to wrench a little on them but nothing internal, Trans engine type stuff. I lift the bike up and look at play in the suspension, axles, jiggle them a little, side to side play is bad. Broken plastic on newwer bikes means a rough rider. Check the fluids air box and element, and overall shape of it. Bent racks, welds in places welds shouldn't be, uneven paint wear, maybe trying to hide a crack or patch job with it. Ask for records of maintenance they may or maynot have them. I also look at the other iron they have in their yard, if it looks good clean dent free it might mean they take care of their equipment. It is ultimately buyer beware so take your time and always test drive it!! Good luck the gems are out there. Moosin

browningboy
07-04-2007, 09:16 PM
One of my co-workers just bought a brand new polaris (I think) 450 or 400 whatever, but he mentioned he went down to a certain cycle shop in Washington and the asking price was 5500.00, he walked out with the bike for 5100 and got a free rear tote and when he got to the border, since its brand new theres no wait and duty was just both our taxes! He said he saved about 2500.00!:o
If you buy used then it has to remain at the border for 72 hours etc...
Use our high dollar if you can swing it!

wjh131
07-04-2007, 09:38 PM
We have 2 Hondas, a 2004 and 2005 foreman 450's. The 2004 has 13000 km's and the 2005 has 11000 km's. Both had the engine rebuilt at around 10,000 kms for 1500 apiece from a local mechanic. Other than the steering arms getting a little bent and changing tires they have been excellent quads. We use them for chasing, checking and treating cows, checking fence and hunting.

ratherbefishin
07-04-2007, 09:54 PM
what are the main things that go wrong in quads-not maintenance-but major items,and what are the expected costs ie-transmissions, etc.Is 10,000 k a reasonable time between engine rebuilds?