PDA

View Full Version : Wolf hunting

Dorarem
11-28-2016, 11:04 AM
Hey buds, who can give me some tips about wolf hunting near kamloops? any areas where to go ? really wanna get some, but dont really know where to go. Thank you

Wild one
11-28-2016, 11:27 AM
First tip on wolves they are smart ass hell and spooky. They are often on the move so 1 day they are around next they are no where to be found.

Best bets are calling or keeping up a bait station. Anything else is really luck

Calling wake up early cruze roads in the dark looking for fresh tracks in the snow. Once you find fresh tracks set up in a location you hope to draw them into and start calling first light. I give about an hour in each location before moving to the next location

When it comes to baiting I have only done this trapping but I know guys successfully hunt them this way. What I can tell you is it can take along time for wolves to hit your bait. It can take even longer for them to hit it durring legal light. You need lots of bait because all scavengers will be eating it up. You need to keep replenishing your bait if you want wolves to keep visiting the location. Look up meatsicle it is a frozen bait that can conserve your bait.

Not an easy animal to hunt but your helping other wildlife well doing so. Knock down coyotes to keep your self intrested

adriaticum
11-28-2016, 11:47 AM
Lac Dubois road, Bonaparte Lake, Saul Lake.

PM me your email address, I have some plans coming up for this exercise.

swampthing
11-28-2016, 05:58 PM
What adiictum said!

.308SLAYER
11-29-2016, 07:22 AM
Been hearing g lots of wolf stories In region 8 lately. I have been seeing alot of tracks talked to a elderly gent the one day in the bush he said he was rattling whiteys and a moose with her calf walked by 5 minutes later 3 wolves following...buddy's dad was driving up the main road couple weeks back said some wold horses came running across the road followed by their little colts I guess their tongues were hanging out looking very tired then bam right behind them wolves. He said it happened so fast he couldn't believe it. The wolves have been showing up hard last few years in our parts have even heard of sighting right down in the valley bottom backside of the lake. We're only gonna start seeing more and more I'm thinking.

Downtown
11-29-2016, 08:30 AM
Without a well placed active Bait station, you are depending only on Luck !

Cheers

ElliotMoose
11-29-2016, 09:53 AM
Red Lake, Jamieson Cr, all up the Bonaparte..They're everywhere. As mentioned though it's pretty tough to catch them in the open. 12 moose (that we know of) were shot up an FSR network we were hunting just north of the loops during the first week of October. No wolf tracks on the first couple days of the hunt but once the gut piles started showing up, so did the wolves. Neither of our two gut sacks were there the next day and there was wolf track all around the kill sites. I almost think that they are becoming educated similar to Grizzlies in the EK where they hear gun shots and associate it with a free meal. If you can't get a bait pile set up, maybe hunt a local road network that's known for FN hunting during the winter where there will be gut piles around?

skibum
11-29-2016, 09:55 AM
Over the last two season I have shot two Kamloops wolves from the same stump --- both in October. This year I heard them wake up and get ready for the morning hunt. (before blasting one of them)

Will they still be using the same bedding area in December that they used in October?

Anyways I will probably put a hike in to check it out in a couple of weeks, hopefully they are still there. Don't want to play with bait, might bring a call or two along.

Good2bCanadian
11-29-2016, 10:26 AM
I shot my wolf in region 3-30 using a rabbit in distress.
After a call session during spring bear, I started hiking up a road and there it was hiking towards me.
We had a stare down for 10 seconds and as it turned I got him broadside at 225 yards.

todbartell
11-29-2016, 11:34 AM
I feel they're the hardest animal to hunt in BC. Here today gone tomorrow, they cover crazy amount of ground and have large home ranges. Cover ground trying to cut some fresh sign, then try to call them in. Electronic calls will give more volume, reach out further. Good luck

bigredchev
11-30-2016, 11:11 AM
Lac Dubois road, Bonaparte Lake, Saul Lake.

PM me your email address, I have some plans coming up for this exercise.

Care to share? I'm interested too