PDA

View Full Version : Length and height of Whitetail rut

JIL_24/7
11-28-2016, 10:08 AM
Hello Everyone,
I am still in the zero column for this fall. I really would like to fill the freezer and feed the family. My three young children love wild game and that is an awesome thing. I have some vacation days left and just returned from region 3 where I split my time between whitetail and mule, but I figure now is the time to concentrate on whitetail. My question is on the length and height of the whitetail rut. Will they still be rutting next week? Would it be better to take two days this week? I have an ok spot, not great, but hey I've at least seen deer! I just want to try and capitalize as much as I can. I don't need a trophy at all. Just want to feed the family. Can I get some of our experts to weigh in and maybe even give me some pointers on whitetail hunting. Is the doe bleet better than rattling? Anyways, just looking for a little guidance. Thanks.

sawmill
11-28-2016, 02:20 PM
Find does. Yeah the rut is cooking now,at least around here. I don`t know where you live. If you can find does the bucks will be coming around.I don`t make any noise, no rattling or calls. I just stake out the chicks. If I see does in the same area I just keep going there.Might take 5 times or more but you will score.
Around here I like the thick bush around creeks,deer tend to hang just inside, they think I can`t see them. I have 2 in the freezer who thought wrong. Evening is a good time right now too.

hunter1947
11-28-2016, 04:54 PM
What I do lots of times is find out where there tracks and rubs are in a cut block beds from late summer months in the cut block set up a few hours before dark try to find out where the deer are coming out of the timber mid day,, I like to try to see the whole timber line and make sure the wind is not blowing my scent toward where I think the deer will come out meaning the timber lots of times when you find does there will be a buck not far away..

Be still and make sure you have slash logs as a blind ,,I like finding a uprooted tree that was blown down that I can set up behind ,,remember most of the time all deer come out just at the last light for shooting,,good luck

O ya the WT rut in the EK will start late Oct end sometime Late Nov there will still be the odd doe that will go into heat first two weeks of Dec but never as good as when the main rut is in effect mid to late Nov..

HarryToolips
11-28-2016, 10:18 PM
^^^^what he said, from my experience, the wt rut hardest last week of November, but I've seen wt bucks with nose to ground seeking does in the first 10 days of December, even on my t cams I've had pics of them chasing does during the first part of December...