PDA

View Full Version : Sharing a kill

Ajsawden
11-26-2016, 08:33 PM
So, just curious what everyone's thoughts are on splitting up meat among hunting party members after a successful hunt are.

I think there are times when sharing a kill is the obvious right thing to do, and other times when I feel 'I shot it, it's my deer, back off, fill your own freezer'.

Whenever we go on any multi-day hunts with friends and there are large costs that are shared among everyone, we always share meat conquered among everyone. However, on a day trip, less than an hour from home, I'm definitely the every man for himself mentality.

Today, I was hunting with two buddies of mine who did not know each other prior to going out this morning. **Brief background. I've been hunting for over 20 years, the friend #1 driving started last year and I've been showing him the ropes, and friend #2, this is his first year hunting, and first time me taking him hunting. We drive into a spot and split up to hunt some timber, I go with friend #2 ( first year hunting). And hour in and I spot a large body up the hill in the timber and immediately see antlers. Short version of this story we get it. This is friend # 2 first deer. High fives and hollering follow.

Fast forward to the end of the day and friend #1 asks me on the side if we're splitting up the deer. I'm a little taken aback as that thought never even crossed my mind. This is after it's all skinned out and shipped off with friend #2 who I assume headed straight for the butcher. If friend #2 wants to share, great, otherwise, he's got to feed his family too. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this subject.

Cheers

Everett
11-26-2016, 08:38 PM
How myself and my partners do it is everyone keeps there own deer. In the case of Elk and Moose the shooter keeps half because he cancelled his tag and he donates the other half to the rest of the hunting partners to split.

dakoda62
11-26-2016, 08:39 PM
50/50 always shooter gets choice of side

landphil
11-26-2016, 08:42 PM
I think it's something that should be agreed upon before hand - I'm of the same mentality of you, but either way works and it's best if everyone involved has a clear understanding ahead of time.

Boner
11-26-2016, 08:43 PM
That has to be hashed out before you start hunting.

Some guys butcher themselves, and others use a butcher. That all has to come into consideration. Time and money. The work just begins when an animal is on the ground. People who don't know any better have no idea the work involved getting it into the freezer from that point the trigger is pulled.

adriaticum
11-26-2016, 08:47 PM
I think it's something that should be agreed upon before hand - I'm of the same mentality of you, but either way works and it's best if everyone involved has a clear understanding ahead of time.

What he said.

butcher
11-26-2016, 08:53 PM
Always give more than you take. Always.

Fella
11-26-2016, 08:55 PM
If i shoot something and I'm with a buddy I'm more than happy to go 50/50. I also do not expect my partners to share if they get something but that's just me. That being said I only hunt with a couple guys so it's not like I'm sharing with a dozen families.

patbrennan
11-26-2016, 08:55 PM
Big animals get split evenly. Deer, since some use a butcher and I don't, they go home with the shooter typically. That being said, nobody has to go home with nothing unless we are all skunked!

Rob Chipman
11-26-2016, 08:57 PM
When I hunt with other people we split the work and we split the take.

moosegoof
11-26-2016, 09:01 PM
Share always, if they turn it down that's fine their choice, hunt by yourself if you don't want to share ��

Big Lew
11-26-2016, 09:05 PM
There are all manner of scenarios depending on the hunters involved, so to avoid bad feelings,
most definitely this has to be talked about and agreed upon before heading out the door.
I was taught 'old school' which was sharing amongst the participants. Two hunters...shooter got
his pick of sides, some agreements were shooter got damaged side as a penalty for ruining meat.
Four hunters...shooter got his pick of a hind quarter. Some agreements were an equal sharing of
the packaged meat. Then you get into other agreements such as the hunter supplying vehicle and
or camper/trailer/ etc and/or equipment got the second pick.

StoneChaser
11-26-2016, 09:07 PM
I always offer up half...always!

Dougielightning
11-26-2016, 09:15 PM
I agree with stone chaser!! You partake in the work you split it evenly. Doesn't mean everyone will take it though

VLD43
11-26-2016, 09:27 PM
I agree with those who always share or offer to share. Don't know if you suggested to hunter #2, that it would be a good idea to make that offer to hunter #1, even if you didn't want any. You said you were tutoring hunter #2, so might as well get off on the right track. If a novice hunter is not encouraged by someone he respects and has asked him for hunting advice, to consider the others in the party, then I would suggest, it is only a matter of time until things go pear shaped.

Sinperama
11-26-2016, 09:47 PM
This is a touchy subject.
Since I don't like touchy feelings, I go solo.
If I'm inviting someone to tag along, I pay for everything and only I decide what to do with my meat.
Having said that, I don't mind sharing some of my meat with someone who tag along.
Giving without expectation is a great feeling.

russm
11-26-2016, 09:56 PM
I mostly hunt with my dad or by myself so its not really an issue, I've gone with guys in my truck, with my gear, my gas money, showed up on time an had to wait for them to get ready and had to share lunches that ive made, if those were successful hunts I would've been keeping %100, a moose or elk I'd split no problem but a deer would depend on the situation I think.

11-26-2016, 10:08 PM
Seen this one wreck many a partner.
We share everything but island deer.
But I also think new partners need to relax over stuff like this. And after the smoke clears hash is out. If it's done now, there might be hard feelings, as it was not discussed.

Squamch
11-26-2016, 10:09 PM
Small game like grouse or rabbits are the shooter's. Deer or whatever else are shared equally. I can afford to feed myself just fine, I hunt to provide meat for myself, my parents, and my friends.
The first deer I shot this year, is split 50/50 between my brother and I, after a few packages went home with dad. Then I sent a few packages out of my half to two other friend's households.
The second one I was solo for. I'll send more of it to my parents, and probably more to my two friends who were skunked this year due to lack of time afield and experience.

I'm hunting for a village. No need to be possessive about it.

Lozzie
11-26-2016, 10:16 PM
When it comes to deer I would only share with a newbie or someone who helped me drag it out a long ways. Larger animals and larger costs to hunt we always split the costs.

steel_ram
11-26-2016, 10:55 PM
I always try to be generous with hunting partners. If someone needs to calculate and divide portions depending on status of said hunting partners, they're probably a dick anyways and should be hunting on their own.

Rob
11-26-2016, 11:00 PM
Shooter keeps his/her deer and has a dinner sometime. Anything larger should be discussed prior. It takes more than one deer to feed a family.

panhead
11-26-2016, 11:01 PM
Been hunting with the same partner for so long don't remember how we came to an agreement. Share the meat down to the last steak and the shooter get's the extra if odd number of pieces. Seem to keep each other in high rye most of the time ...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I’ve got ideas I haven’t even thought of yet

fuzzybiscuit
11-26-2016, 11:25 PM
Share the work share the meat is usually the way I do it.

In this case friend #1 didn't share in any work as you guys were split up in the timber.

I split up with a buddy at the truck a few weeks back to go my own way. An hour later I had a nice Whitetail buck on the ground. He texted me after he heard the shot and I told him what I had and where I was. 3 back-breaking hours later I had the buck back to the truck. Buddy shows up at the truck 15 minutes after I get back and wants to know if we are going to split it 50/50. I would have been happy to split the buck if I had been given some help.

HarryToolips
11-26-2016, 11:43 PM
We usually split the animal 50/50, but the shooter usually gets a little more, cause he cancelled his tag..but in your case, hunter friend #1 wasn't with you guys when you shot it, so I'd say tough titties to him, he should be glad to get a few steaks..

604Stalker
11-26-2016, 11:50 PM
Evenly is the only way to go anything else could create bad blood.

moosecaller
11-27-2016, 12:40 AM
You are teaching these friends about hunting, teach them what you think is right and make them someone who you or anyone else would want to hunt with in the future. What is your philosophy about sharing? Run it by them as a question and how they would want to handle it, you are their mentor.

two-feet
11-27-2016, 12:57 AM
Good lesson, gotta have it worked out before hand. You have to discuss splitting of costs and meat, gun safety, and general expectaions for a hunt. Even good friends do not make good hunting parteners sometimes.

northof49
11-27-2016, 01:02 AM
In our case elk and moose get split if group hunt...deer typically go home with the shooter. Others keep going hard to get their own. Deer hunting is more about the bone than the meat for us anyhow.

russm
11-27-2016, 01:13 AM
There are all manner of scenarios depending on the hunters involved, so to avoid bad feelings,
most definitely this has to be talked about and agreed upon before heading out the door.
I was taught 'old school' which was sharing amongst the participants. Two hunters...shooter got
his pick of sides, some agreements were shooter got damaged side as a penalty for ruining meat.
Four hunters...shooter got his pick of a hind quarter. Some agreements were an equal sharing of
the packaged meat. Then you get into other agreements such as the hunter supplying vehicle and
or camper/trailer/ etc and/or equipment got the second pick.

Why would the guy that shot the animal be penalized for damaging the meat? That kinda seems like a shit deal.

Boner
11-27-2016, 06:46 AM
Why would the guy that shot the animal be penalized for damaging the meat? That kinda seems like a shit deal.

Some guys put the shot in the boiler room, some guys treat em like a grizz and take out the shoulders. Big difference in the amount of damage.

Brambles
11-27-2016, 06:50 AM
I don't typically share deer unless it's a bone out backpack show. Elk and moose get split.

.308SLAYER
11-27-2016, 06:53 AM
Yah deer and such usually we don't split anything but when it comes to moose and elk we usually split

hunter1947
11-27-2016, 06:59 AM
For me I always make it clear before I hunt with a friend I say shooting a deer its yours no sharing ,,shooting a moose ,elk or other big game animals its split 50,50..

Bonz
11-27-2016, 07:10 AM
for me day trip or a month, person pays for fuel and the trip, they get an equal cut. should be discused prior obviously,
been there myself. spent my 1/3 for hotel and fuels and foods. got the doe draw down. i was a guest looking for 4 point. he already had 2 buck at home waiting for butcher. scores his 3rd. and im told on way to butchers i dont get any cause the doe is small and their is 3 of us.
i didnt say a thing, took it dry and wont hunt with him again...and it was family to boot, he also had hunted his whole life and is an older guy now. figure he`d get it and didnt need prior discussion

Wentrot
11-27-2016, 07:23 AM
50/50 here. Wouldn't give a darn if someone I hunted with wanted to do it differently though.

BCHoyt
11-27-2016, 07:39 AM
For us... If 2 of us are out hunting together and one of us shoots something and the other doesnt we split it 50/50... If we each shoot our own animal, thats your animal.. If one of us shot a deer, and the other shot a bear, its 50/50 of each..

Have had issues with one other hunter before as he figured he should get half my deer, and I get half his.. Maybe its because he gut shot his and lost a bunch of meat and it was smaller or maybe thats just how he is.. But thats not how I roll.. Needless to say we do not hunt together anymore!

tadpole
11-27-2016, 07:49 AM
Usually hunt with one buddy only. Three's a crowd so to speak.8). Always share 50/50 unless I am having a newbe with me.
Recently it is a close friend that I am developing hunting fever in him.lol. In this case he is killing, gutting with my assistance and
dragin it to the truck but keeping all the spoils as an enhancer. I live in a zone 8 where deer is plentiful so no big deal at all.

Stew
11-27-2016, 08:33 AM
Deer, is the shooters, & elk, moose, get split up.

swampthing
11-27-2016, 08:42 AM
Always give more than you take. Always.

The guys I hunt with are more "adventure hunters" than meat hunters. There has never been a problem with meat issues. On that note I like what butcher has to say.

Viper
11-27-2016, 09:00 AM
Equal shares of cost and work equals equal share of meat it doesn't get more equal than that. Four equals in one sentence equals bad grammar. LOL

Wild one
11-27-2016, 09:09 AM
When it comes to splitting meat it should be agreed upon before hunting with those you hunt with

My crew is laid back about this. We are all willing to split 50/50 with all big game. That said when it comes to deer and bear often we agree to let the shooter keep it. But every one is willing to share and everyone is willing to help. The offer of splitting 50/50 has always been put forward when someone is successful. The attitude of the people I hunt with has always made things easy.

None of us are greedy or lazy so it has never been an issue. Anyone who has been lazy or greedy does not hunt with us long.

Just sort out the rules in your hunting party beforehand and as long as everyone is on the same pages is all that matters

Kilwinning
11-27-2016, 09:10 AM
Everything is 50/50, Always.

buckhunter76
11-27-2016, 09:15 AM
I used to hunt by myself a lot but now got my good friend into hunting we go out together hunting and fishing all the time, I've never not though of splitting whatever we get 50/50, we always use my truck so he chips in a little more fuel. But whatever we shoot or catch is always 50/50 we got 3 deer each this year so it works out. I just always figured he is part of the hunt he is willing to learn and he is out their trying so he deserves it, and a few times this year when we were out he shot something and I didn't!! Only time I get possessive of the meat is when he does a bad shot on a ditch chicken, I always take the nice side of the breast hahah

remeber folks, sharing is caring

Ddog
11-27-2016, 09:17 AM
here in the koots, we always do the split with larger game,,like ELK, because most of the time it really is a joint effort. But with deer,,Its every man for himself. always willing to help whatever friend needs it to get a deer out, but there really isn't a lot of meat on deer.

bcsteve
11-27-2016, 09:18 AM
Equal shares of cost and work equals equal share of meat it doesn't get more equal than that. Four equals in one sentence equals bad grammar. LOL

That's what we do.

Big Lew
11-27-2016, 09:32 AM
A good friend and I went hunting up on Bald Mountain across from Dogwood Flats
north of Hope when we were 19. His dad had a logging show there so we went with
the crew across the Fraser in their boat and both up the mountain and back in their
crummy. Only shot one deer. The friend put another bullet in it in panic, hitting a hind
quarter. Although I was about to head home with the damaged side because of his
generosity for bringing me along, his dad stepped in and made my friend give me the
good side, making my friend keep the side he damaged.

E.B.
11-27-2016, 09:38 AM
Always carry a couple Mcdonalds gift certificates in the event of any miscomunication

okas
11-27-2016, 09:54 AM
For us... If 2 of us are out hunting together and one of us shoots something and the other doesnt we split it 50/50... If we each shoot our own animal, thats your animal.. If one of us shot a deer, and the other shot a bear, its 50/50 of each..

Have had issues with one other hunter before as he figured he should get half my deer, and I get half his.. Maybe its because he gut shot his and lost a bunch of meat and it was smaller or maybe thats just how he is.. But thats not how I roll.. Needless to say we do not hunt together anymore! i like this story so true :roll: here is my deal you cancel your tag take half as a lot of guys are blind :cool:

kilometers
11-27-2016, 10:17 AM
I only hunt with family so we split it up in 1/3. I could see a deer Not being split up 50/50 but maybe 75/25

What happens now if say buddy #2 cancelled his tag and is tagged out for the season. He has split his deer with you and # 1. He can't get out anymore or isn't aloud to hunt(bag limit) now you and #1 go out and get a deer does he split it with just you or include #2 even though he didn't come along?

Wild one
11-27-2016, 10:30 AM
I only hunt with family so we split it up in 1/3. I could see a deer Not being split up 50/50 but maybe 75/25

What happens now if say buddy #2 cancelled his tag and is tagged out for the season. He has split his deer with you and # 1. He can't get out anymore or isn't aloud to hunt(bag limit) now you and #1 go out and get a deer does he split it with just you or include #2 even though he didn't come along?

With our crew splitting is done amongst those on the hunt because they are the ones splitting costs and work on that hunt. We are spread out over 2 prov so who goes on each hunt really varies.

again though no greed in our crew so we often share meat randomly amongst each other. If I hunted with guys who made a big deal out of meat splitting it might be an issue.

shortrange
11-27-2016, 10:36 AM
I learned hunting etiquette from an old hand who told me that every hunter in the group gets a share of the meat even if we split up to better our chances. That makes sense. There will always be deer or bear or moose hunts. Having good hunting buddies is more important. If someone doesn't share the work they don't get asked to hunt again. Also if you and your buddy each get a deer you keep your deer. If you go in a bigger group you make sure no one leaves empty handed. Shooter decides how the group shares out the meat, and we always talk about the rules before we go out to hunt. When I hunt with a group any successful hunters will then try to help their buddies get something too. It's all about being fair and treating people right.

albravo2
11-27-2016, 10:43 AM
If someone needs to calculate and divide portions depending on status of said hunting partners, they're probably a dick anyways and should be hunting on their own.

This made me laugh. So true!

Pioneerman
11-27-2016, 10:43 AM
I have always offer equal split, only time it was not accepted I got to moose camp three days before opening , but a great spot loaded up firewood and got a nice deer before others showed up, they said no I was 100 % responsible and did all work keep that, but anything we got together was split evenly. If you are riding together and splitting vehicles work and fuel , then split rewards unless otherwise mentioned upfront

ICEWOODY
11-27-2016, 11:22 AM
It's all about the gas. If you want part of an animal on a trip pay half the gas your buddy will get it. If your broke and buddy can take you out on his dime you best be shooting your own food. And also thanking your friend for the opportunity to get a chance to put down a food. If your in your own truck it's on you. What you "put in in camp" or the housework you do doesn't matter. Getting out in the bush is how your rewarded as a hunter.

Rhyno
11-27-2016, 12:38 PM
As others have said a large critter is split equally, deer are the shooters. Living in the EK if you didn't shoot a deer it's because you were likely saving your tag for a specific hunt or bigger buck. Not going to take 1/2 of someone's doe when I wanted to save mine for archery season. Again should be discussed prior. I hunted (note the past tense) with a guy who would always put himself in the best position to be sucessful and then didn't share. Lesson learn and I made sure to make it clear the meat if we got a moose, GOS day trip, that it was going to be split equally 3 ways, he balked at this...didn't hunt with him again.

I guess the who splitting a deer thing makes sense if you have limited time to hunt....but always discuss before hand! Luckily this is not an issue with my current hunting buddies as we are all on the same page.

Dirt Road King
11-27-2016, 05:47 PM
i have always split it even, depending on help provided obviously

MichelD
11-27-2016, 06:20 PM
Buddy and me went out for Region 2 opening weekend. I got a deer, he got a bear. I cut and froze everything and brought him half of each.

I've been on hunts with him and a third buddy where they were the ones with the moose LEH permit. I cooked, packed, skinned, cut wood, participated in everything but shooting and got 1/3 of a moose one trip, 1/3 of two moose and two deer another trip.

Last year buddy and me got one deer each opening day. We each kept our own deer.

pin_head
11-27-2016, 06:27 PM
We always split our meat even Steven with every member of the hunt. Shoot two deer? Cut, wrap, split it up evenly. It all evens out in the end.

If I don't like someone enough to split meat with them I can't imagine what in the hell I'd be doing hunting with them in the first place.

Brad

northof49
11-27-2016, 08:28 PM
Sometimes with the stinky leaned out bucks in the rut....it is more of an argument about who should have to take
more:razz:

okas
11-28-2016, 09:43 AM
Share the work share the meat is usually the way I do it.

In this case friend #1 didn't share in any work as you guys were split up in the timber.

I split up with a buddy at the truck a few weeks back to go my own way. An hour later I had a nice Whitetail buck on the ground. He texted me after he heard the shot and I told him what I had and where I was. 3 back-breaking hours later I had the buck back to the truck. Buddy shows up at the truck 15 minutes after I get back and wants to know if we are going to split it 50/50. I would have been happy to split the buck if I had been given some help. 3 hrs :sad: that is because you a girly man as seen your pic.

wideopenthrottle
11-28-2016, 10:10 AM
We always split our meat even Steven with every member of the hunt. Shoot two deer? Cut, wrap, split it up evenly. It all evens out in the end.

If I don't like someone enough to split meat with them I can't imagine what in the hell I'd be doing hunting with them in the first place.

Brad

this exactly...all licenced hunters get a share...

barry1974w
11-28-2016, 11:42 AM
Always an even split, always split costs. Always have "the talk" before going with somebody new. That being said, quite often people in our group don't take part of someone's deer, mostly depending on how everyone's season is going. I'm not going to take half your deer if I've already got half a moose in the freezer and your freezer is empty.

meat hunter
11-28-2016, 01:16 PM
I live on an island in the pacific, when we go Moose hunting we split the Moose evenly, if one of us shoots a deer we do not share the deer as we can get a deer at home.

Linksman313
11-28-2016, 01:27 PM
What he said.
What he said.

sawmill
11-28-2016, 02:11 PM
Meh, I don`t care. I usually hunt alone and get my game . My hunting pal could not get out for most of the season so
I took him out to a special spot with my truck and gas on the weekend and he got a dandy whitie buck,102 lbs on the butchers scale skinned and clean.I did the gutting and hauled it to the butcher , he offered me half but I already had mine so I declined. That`s why I only hunt with him .He knew I had 2 in the freezer but still wanted to split his.Good guy, think I`ll keep him.He did get me half drunk after though!

Busterbrown
11-29-2016, 07:18 AM
I believe the relationship you have with your hunting partner plays into it, every group is different I guess, I have only one partner I hunt with, have hunted together for over 30 years, we split everything even if one of us cant make it out, I have shot many animals over the years that he was unable to come out for, we still split the meat, he does the same for me ..it has worked for us

Big Lew
11-29-2016, 08:24 AM
Meh, I don`t care. I usually hunt alone and get my game . My hunting pal could not get out for most of the season so
I took him out to a special spot with my truck and gas on the weekend and he got a dandy whitie buck,102 lbs on the butchers scale skinned and clean.I did the gutting and hauled it to the butcher , he offered me half but I already had mine so I declined. That`s why I only hunt with him .He knew I had 2 in the freezer but still wanted to split his.Good guy, think I`ll keep him.He did get me half drunk after though!

That's what it's all about! He probably thinks the same about you. You're both very lucky.

Xbow
11-29-2016, 12:25 PM
Pin_head has it right!!!

11-29-2016, 01:11 PM

Guy should 'a atleast got ya all the way drunk! lol JK
Honestly this has never been an issue for me, and I am always amazed how complicated it gets for some....

trapperRick
11-29-2016, 04:29 PM
Hunting with a group/friends/buddies etc is and will always be a communal thing for me. All the work/expense is shared and so should the meat!! I wouldn't hunt with guy's that didn't feel the same way.

RackStar
11-29-2016, 05:11 PM
shared.
Unless I had half a moose and buddy had nothing and he shot it. I would just insist he kept the whole thing

papaken
11-29-2016, 08:56 PM
All depends on the circumstances. Hunted with friend and his daughter, she got her first deer. Told them we didn't need to share but if they got any pepperoni I would like a couple to try. Last year hunted with a First Nations friend she got her first deer and I also got a bigger buck. Her tradition is to give away all of her first kill. I then gave her some of mine. All the other hunts I have been on we split everything evenly among all the hunters. With my regular partners that is the norm, if I hunt with someone new I make sure we discuss it beforehand so no-one is surprised.