PDA

View Full Version : Snaring hares: whats the deal

two-feet
11-26-2016, 04:34 PM
Legal? Illegal? The regs sure do not spell it out for you. The phone number for COs in the regs is out of service. No other number online. Anybody have a difinitive answer? Google search brings up an old thread from this forum.

ruger#1
11-26-2016, 04:39 PM
Email them.

ruger#1
11-26-2016, 04:42 PM
Stephen MacIver|Policy & Regulations Analyst|Fish, Wildlife and Habitat Management Branch|Ministry of Forests, Lands, and Natural Resource Operations|Phone (250) 387-9767|Email: stephen.maciver@gov.bc.ca

skibum
11-26-2016, 05:04 PM
Are you planning snaring them for the meat or the pelt. I was under the assumption that the meat soured quickly if not gutted promptly? (because of their bigger than average digestive system).

Pretty sure setting up a couple snares would be something my boys would love to check out. Post what you find

Bonz
11-26-2016, 05:21 PM
pretty sure ya nee a licence to use snares or any type of traps, cept live traps on your own land

Bonz
11-26-2016, 05:22 PM
and has to be on a gov designated trap line or your own land to use any traps as far as i know, cant just go to the bush and set snares or traps anywhere...legaly..lol

hoochie
11-26-2016, 05:48 PM
wasnt there another thread on this earlier and it was discussed that as long as it was thinner than 20g wire it was legal?

NChunter
11-26-2016, 05:50 PM
If you look on page 95 of the hunting trapping regs there is some info that might help (under It's Unlawful). My understanding is that it is legal to snare hares without a trapping license if the wire is less then 20 gauge and not braided wire.

ruger#1
11-26-2016, 05:51 PM
wasnt there another thread on this earlier and it was discussed that as long as it was thinner than 20g wire it was legal? Hooch, You bad ass.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?129522-is-a-snare-a-trap&highlight=snaring+rabbits

NChunter
11-26-2016, 05:51 PM
wasnt there another thread on this earlier and it was discussed that as long as it was thinner than 20g wire it was legal?

beat me to it lol

ruger#1
11-26-2016, 05:53 PM
You can buy the brass wire at Ca Tire. I have used it before. You just have to find their runs. Snow on the ground is best.

two-feet
11-26-2016, 07:49 PM
Stephen MacIver|Policy & Regulations Analyst|Fish, Wildlife and Habitat Management Branch|Ministry of Forests, Lands, and Natural Resource Operations|Phone (250) 387-9767 (tel:(250) 387-9767)|Email: stephen.maciver@gov.bc.ca

thanks, good to have. Will shoot an email

two-feet
11-26-2016, 07:51 PM
If you look on page 95 of the hunting trapping regs there is some info that might help (under It's Unlawful). My understanding is that it is legal to snare hares without a trapping license if the wire is less then 20 gauge and not braided wire.

yes this is the best that i found. Last time I set a snare was 30 years ago.

sawmill
11-28-2016, 10:05 AM
I took it up the ass several years ago from the CO`s for having a couple of rabbit snares, brass wire. $250 fine. Found out later that it was completely legal. They are not fur bearing animals under trapping regs. CO`s know a hell of a lot less than they should. Me too then. I could have won that shitshow. I`m still pissed off.

barry1974w
11-28-2016, 11:46 AM
I took it up the ass several years ago from the CO`s for having a couple of rabbit snares, brass wire. $250 fine. Found out later that it was completely legal. They are not fur bearing animals under trapping regs. CO`s know a hell of a lot less than they should. Me too then. I could have won that shitshow. I`m still pissed off.

Yep, you got screwed. You need a hunting licence, and have to use certain sized wire, I can't remember what size off the top of my head. It's in the regs though.

slowjo
11-28-2016, 08:48 PM
hares are not considered fur bearing, so they do not fall under the trapping regs. im confident that a hunting licence and using thin gauge brass wire makes it legal. be sure to stick to the daily quota, in my region 4 its ten. check your snares daily and ensure you set them on high traffic runs. learn about the size of the loop and the height they should be set off the ground. and just try your best to avoid snaring anything but.

Shreddies
01-04-2017, 10:50 PM
Before it gets into the details i.e. 20 gauge wire, hares/squirrels and non-braided it says this on pg. 93 of the regs:

"It is an offence to trap unless you havecompleted a Trapper Education Program(TEP) approved by the Director of the F&WBranch. Approved TEP courses include thoseobtained in British Columbia since July 1,1982; from Quebec since July 1,1988; andfrom the Yukon, Alberta and Ontario sinceJuly 1, 1989."

I'm assuming the CORE hunting course doesn't count.

hoochie
01-04-2017, 11:28 PM
Before it gets into the details i.e. 20 gauge wire, hares/squirrels and non-braided it says this on pg. 93 of the regs:

$390 bucks for the course...
and then whats up with the royalty fees.."payable to the minister of finance"??

dusting off the old .22 is cheaper.

Skull Hunter
01-05-2017, 07:18 AM
Yes it is legal to snare hares without a trapping license. Snowshoe hare are not a fur-bearer. I have had this conversation with CO's and I have even set snares for hares with CO's. Just get the snare wire from a local hardware store (I would advise not Canadian Tire due to the recent decisions regarding fur of some of their subsidiaries). Find a nice run, tie off your snare to a willow or something. Doesn't have to be too big, an inch or 2 in diameter. make your loop about the size of your fist and set it an inch or 2 above the ground. Reinforce the run by adding little twigs to either side to funnel the bunny down the trail.

Snaring hares can be incredibly effective. I've put out about 10 snares this year and have caught 6 hares. Many will be caught over night, so check regularly.

Lucky77_
01-05-2017, 09:04 PM
Id be pissed too if i was forced to take it up the ass,:shock:

two-feet
01-05-2017, 10:52 PM
Me and a friend took our kids out and set about 10, we got nothing for 2 nights but on the third we got one. However, some snarky animal ate it out of the snare.

finngun
01-06-2017, 12:19 PM
Jep that is happening to often with trapped wappidd...easy meal for owl,,big cats,,,coy...etc...recycling anyways..:cool:

Bonz
01-06-2017, 06:50 PM
do they use same trap checking laws as reg trapping with snares?..believe 72 hours?

wos
01-06-2017, 07:22 PM
Be sure to mark them well so you can find and remove all of them when you are done. It's amazing how hard they can be to find the next day.

HarryToolips
01-06-2017, 09:48 PM
^^^good advice, my experience as well..