PDA

View Full Version : Reg 3 Muley Hunting "Has Rut Tapered Off, Or?"

Bugle M In
11-25-2016, 11:08 AM
Just wondering what hunters on this forum are experiencing for Muley Hunting during
this month of November.
I've been up on the Nov 11th time for 4 days, not seeing much at all.
Buddies did run into a few bucks with a few does higher up, but couldn't get a point count to shoot.
Last week, went up, 18th - 20th, this time I saw a few more Does, and some bucks chasing
Does, but they were young or not legal.
But no good 4 points.
Just wondering how the "success has been for others in Reg 3 in the month of November", and,
If anyone is "still seeing Bucks with their heads up a does rear any longer", or is it tapered off.

All I can say, it was so Mild out, and "no snow", which I know has been getting that way for a bunch of
years now (a far cry from years ago for sure), so I think the deer are not so concentrated and are
more spread out this year.

I'd like to hear from other's experiences, as I may go up tonite again....maybe
(Cache Creek\ Kamloops Lake Area area)

skibum
11-25-2016, 11:55 AM
17th I was up high in about 4 inches of snow. I followed a bunch of does with no bucks on them. They usually would not be up this high from my experience but I am not a biologist.

Earlier in the day I did trail what I thought was a big buck who's tracks suggested that he was on the group of does I was watching. He was in the thick trees. I got a glance of him and I chased him until I was uncomfortable finding my way back through the dense bush.

Ya other than a 4 point in the distance at the beginning of September, nothing else for Kamloops bucks in October or through November - I spent many days out hiking around this season. Not even going to get into my wolf problems. I hunted hard and got a little discouraged, but did have a good time out this year. Did find a white tail for the freezer though.

lucky1
11-25-2016, 12:18 PM
My buddy dropped a nice 4 point this year in region 3 on Nov 1st. He followed a nice big doe bouncing along side of him up hill and she led him right to her boyfriend. We saw another hunting group the same week with another 4 point hanging up.

swampthing
11-25-2016, 08:20 PM
Keep at it. I grew up in Kamloops and by December things were always "better".

horshur
11-25-2016, 09:34 PM
yes usually action tapers off this time of year..but the action came on a bit early so it would be reasonable to expect the last week of season to be a good one YMMV

ajr5406
11-26-2016, 08:54 AM
Kind of a side track question, but we know they come through the rut in pretty bad shape and lose some body mass as a result. How long after the rut does it take for MD to put the weight back on and get back into healthier shape? Is this something that happens before the winter really hits, or do they stay super lean through the winter?

swampthing
11-26-2016, 09:03 AM
I think the mule deer bucks that do a lot of rutting have a pretty lean winter. They go secluded and become easy cougar bait as well.

RoscoeP
11-26-2016, 09:05 AM
My friends got back from Mile High last weekend with a nice 4x4 and a LEH doe, 3-18 and 3-19 area's.

SR80
11-26-2016, 09:30 AM
I got a buck last week, he was chasing away a smaller buck to protect his does.

MRoy10
11-26-2016, 07:11 PM
Hunoting around 3-26 and have not seen as much activity as usual although other areas where it has been colder I have seen some activity been slow from what I have witnessed, could just be me though?

twoSevenO
11-27-2016, 12:21 AM
Back from 1.5 days in 3-30. A huge dump of snow Friday night forced me down. Visibility was extremely low and hiking was difficult in the already uneven and slippery terrain. This was at 1600m. All of the deer I saw were lower and all of the tracks were leading down lower. Around 1200m.

Saw a bunch of does and 1 two point none of which showed signs of rutting. None of the does were in company of a buck.

todbartell
11-27-2016, 12:47 AM
Some low level rut action still happening up in 7A, here's a video clip from this evening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4pXbSQanDs

mulieaddiction
11-27-2016, 02:31 AM
Im heading out for 4 days december 3rd im thinking it will be better was there mid nov and it was soo warm.was in a tshirt and saw no movment and lots of hiking i feeling last few years they been rutting or moving more later in the year

Bugle M In
11-27-2016, 11:43 AM
Well Guys, keep it coming....good to hear some sharing their experiences right now, and thoughts.
I was to go this weekend (nov 26 -27th), but my f****n hunting partner jammed again on me.
(I don't have a vehicle right now, and my hunting partner has done this to me several times in the past few
years).
Anyways, my lifelong friend and his son have been up there for the last week (nov 18th - 27th), as well,
he was also up with me on the remembrance day weekend.
That week, the bucks where higher up, 1300 - 1600m.
For me at 800 - 1000m was the slowest in years.
Than a week later (19th-20th), things looked up for me at 800 -1000m, and for my friend, 1300 - 1600 m
was a lot slower.
Than this past week, my friend said things were "real slow"!, and thinking rut was over.
Well, the snow came early Saturday morning, and it appears he had success!
Don't know if he changed locations, or what, but I just received a photo of a nice 6x4 muley!
Haven't been able to contact him, must be out of cell range right now.
But, when I get the info, I will share it.

Guess I just want to say, the season, and rut is not necessarily over.
It has been my experience, that this is the week I usually have the best success.
Now I just have to get my shit in order, and get my vehicle back on the road some day soon.
Hate relying on others.....but in the end, it's my own fault.

So to all, get out there.
And also, keep sharing info on this season......
thanks to the people who have posted....gives others some idea on what is happening out there,
and what is still potentially possible!

Shikari300WSM
11-27-2016, 01:51 PM
Was out last weekend and saw some lone does (group of 5) and no buck up high. Down lower past the snow line saw a lot more deer. Saw probably 20 does and 1 legal buck that evaded me one night and then the next (and last) evening by the time I counted that he was legal he darted as I raised my rifle. I'm back out for him this weekend. Saw a group of 4 does with a spike buck in the same area I saw the 4 point last week. Hope to connect with him by tomorrow evening!

Im not seeing much sign up high. A few sets of tracks but not much else.

twoSevenO
11-27-2016, 06:09 PM
Was out last weekend and saw some lone does (group of 5) and no buck up high. Down lower past the snow line saw a lot more deer. Saw probably 20 does and 1 legal buck that evaded me one night and then the next (and last) evening by the time I counted that he was legal he darted as I raised my rifle. I'm back out for him this weekend. Saw a group of 4 does with a spike buck in the same area I saw the 4 point last week. Hope to connect with him by tomorrow evening!

Im not seeing much sign up high. A few sets of tracks but not much else.

I hunted mid november in 3-19 and stayed at mile high. Talking to the guys there even then the deer seemed to be moving mostly lower elevations than usual.