PDA

View Full Version : NDP stance on Grizz trophy hunt

metalface
11-25-2016, 09:32 AM
NDP obviously not popular around here so I'm just gonna lob this in and take cover.

But saying they may be willing to accommodate meat hunt of grizz.

http://m.metronews.ca/#/article/news/vancouver/2016/11/24/bc-ndp-pledge-to-ban-grizzly-trophy-hunting.html

Apologies if already posted elsewhere

adriaticum
11-25-2016, 09:35 AM
Will they meat hunt of wolf and coyote?

Bonz
11-25-2016, 09:42 AM
wonder if any of these fools have ever actualy tried to apply for them permits to take meat to other countries and seen how it fails and get denied? even see it on that stupid border security show. even declaring meat, its all taken away
ive never applied myself. but has anyone here tried? got denied or? takes months if not more? maybe they need to look at their own policies and stop blaming us for meat being left

MB_Boy
11-25-2016, 09:57 AM
Do we need a second thread??? :biggrin: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?131885-NDP-ponders-grizzly-hunting-ban-for-2017-election

dmaxtech
11-25-2016, 10:07 AM
“Our opinion is if you want to hunt a bear for food, we may be able to make accommodation for that. But when you take that food out of the forest, you’re not taking the head, you’re not taking the claw, you’re not taking the pelt.”

Who is going to shoot a grizzly and leave the head and pelt in the woods? Don't see that happening in a million years.

Wild one
11-25-2016, 10:22 AM
Why should the pelt be wasted?

Ron.C
11-25-2016, 10:42 AM
Why should the pelt be wasted? just playing the devil's advocate here, but that is the exact argument the antis are using right now in regards to leaving the G bear meat.

Ryo
11-25-2016, 10:56 AM
Same sort of system they use for the subsistence moose license in some regions of Alaska, requiring the antlers to be cut after harvest, "destroying trophy value." It might be a functioning system in preventing "trade-based" harvests, but it seems pretty twisted to force those whom depend on the animal and thus assumable respect it, to desecrate it upon death. Part of Alaska's subsistence mandate is "to treat animals with respect."

Wild one
11-25-2016, 10:56 AM
just playing the devil's advocate here, but that is the exact argument the antis are using right now in regards to leaving the G bear meat.

I have no issue keeping the meat and find mountain grizz simular to black bear.

basicly why encourage any part of the animal to be wasted. NDP does not want the meat wasted fine but why not encourage use of the hide as well.

Waste is waste in the end

Ron.C
11-25-2016, 10:58 AM

basicly why encourage any part of the animal to be wasted. NDP does not want the meat wasted fine but why not encourage use of the hide as well.

Waste is waste in the end totally agree

Fisher-Dude
11-25-2016, 11:00 AM

Agree x2...

KodiakHntr
11-25-2016, 11:36 AM

That is exactly what will be next on the agenda.

wonder if any of these fools have ever actualy tried to apply for them permits to take meat to other countries and seen how it fails and get denied? even see it on that stupid border security show. even declaring meat, its all taken away

That is the point behind it, right there. They WANT it to get turned down, bears are simply the first step.

“Our opinion is if you want to hunt a bear for food, we may be able to make accommodation for that. But when you take that food out of the forest, you’re not taking the head, you’re not taking the claw, you’re not taking the pelt.”

Who is going to shoot a grizzly and leave the head and pelt in the woods? Don't see that happening in a million years.

This isn't about meat hunting, or trophy hunting. Its purely about stopping the grizzly hunt AGAIN, and if they word it slightly sneakily, there will be hunters who miss the intent and go "well, I guess it isn't that big of a deal if we have to take the meat". It is purely about stopping the hunt completely.

How quickly we forget. The NDP statement is worded eerily similar to the bill that Weaver introduced, where he specifically talks to trying to shut down the GOABC by making meat recovery for all species mandatory, and where that meat has to be taken to your primary residence. His stated intent was to stop "foreign trophy hunters" from being able to come to BC and shoot a whatever, and then give the meat away to the guide or a food bank or what have you.

This isn't about "meat". Its about a political party trying to shut down a legitimate hunt for an animal, by trying to sell the idea to residents. If they can get even a little bit of acceptance by resident hunters, we are doomed. If you think it is going to stop at grizzlies, you are kidding yourselves.

Rob Chipman
11-25-2016, 11:37 AM
We can all have different stances on meat retention or destruction of trophies. Differences of opinion are great.

Here's my read:

1) There is an election coming;
2) Grizzly bears + trophy hunting = easy way for the NDP to try to differentiate themselves from the Liberals;
3) The issue has legs because it's not a serious problem and it's easy to market due to low information, emotionally motivated voters;
4) There are lots of free ground troops to help the NDP side (all the Defenders of Wild Raincoast Grizzly Bear Foundation Legend of Lamar Valley guys - all work for the NDP on this for free);
5) The easiest response for the Liberals is to agree to end trophy hunting of grizzlies and throw guide outfitters under the bus (resident hunters aren't thrown under the bus because we aren't one of the Liberals protected groups - we'll simply continue to be ignored) *unless* the Liberals decide they can fight the NDP on this issue and somehow come out as winners.

In short, the NDP is politicizing wildlife for political gains. They are not trying to save G-bears.

Any talk about meat retention is only marginally important. The NDP isn't trying to solve a real problem, so giving them a solution to that problem isn't very important.

The real problem we face on this is not the g-bear hunt itself. It's that wildlife is being politicized. They aren't going to talk very seriously about habitat, salmon or travel corridors. They're going to talk about trophy hunting and the spiritual importance of the g-bear to First Nations.

Again, if they wanted to save threatened wildlife there is real work to be done with mountain caribou, bighorn sheep, moose.....

That's not what's happening. This is politicization of wildlife for electoral purposes.

I just heard Shane Mahoney on another podcast. He made a very important point. He said hunters are going to realize that the conservation fight is a political fight, and once we realize that we're going to want to engage in the political fight.

He then said "Be careful what you wish for, because you have to be prepared for political battles and hunters/conservationists aren't ready yet".

The political fight is here, now. The first characteristic of it will be disinformation. The second will be raised emotions. Don't lose your cool on social media about this. Point to science and other threatened species, and point out that the NDP isn't concerned about them. Remember, above all, that the g-bear hunt is a battle. It's not the war. The war is much bigger.

BgBlkDg
11-25-2016, 11:53 AM
KHR and RC are 110% right on this and we WILL lose all hunting if these fanatics win, as it seems they now are.

I am not very optimistic, am probably now too crippled and so forth to hunt again and am just disgusted by Horgan, Weaver, and their minions.

So, listen to KHR and RC, there is still A CHANCE!!!!

bearvalley
11-25-2016, 11:56 AM
Well said Rob.

Wild one
11-25-2016, 11:57 AM
We can all have different stances on meat retention or destruction of trophies. Differences of opinion are great.

Here's my read:

1) There is an election coming;
2) Grizzly bears + trophy hunting = easy way for the NDP to try to differentiate themselves from the Liberals;
3) The issue has legs because it's not a serious problem and it's easy to market due to low information, emotionally motivated voters;
4) There are lots of free ground troops to help the NDP side (all the Defenders of Wild Raincoast Grizzly Bear Foundation Legend of Lamar Valley guys - all work for the NDP on this for free);
5) The easiest response for the Liberals is to agree to end trophy hunting of grizzlies and throw guide outfitters under the bus (resident hunters aren't thrown under the bus because we aren't one of the Liberals protected groups - we'll simply continue to be ignored) *unless* the Liberals decide they can fight the NDP on this issue and somehow come out as winners.

In short, the NDP is politicizing wildlife for political gains. They are not trying to save G-bears.

Any talk about meat retention is only marginally important. The NDP isn't trying to solve a real problem, so giving them a solution to that problem isn't very important.

The real problem we face on this is not the g-bear hunt itself. It's that wildlife is being politicized. They aren't going to talk very seriously about habitat, salmon or travel corridors. They're going to talk about trophy hunting and the spiritual importance of the g-bear to First Nations.

Again, if they wanted to save threatened wildlife there is real work to be done with mountain caribou, bighorn sheep, moose.....

That's not what's happening. This is politicization of wildlife for electoral purposes.

I just heard Shane Mahoney on another podcast. He made a very important point. He said hunters are going to realize that the conservation fight is a political fight, and once we realize that we're going to want to engage in the political fight.

He then said "Be careful what you wish for, because you have to be prepared for political battles and hunters/conservationists aren't ready yet".

The political fight is here, now. The first characteristic of it will be disinformation. The second will be raised emotions. Don't lose your cool on social media about this. Point to science and other threatened species, and point out that the NDP isn't concerned about them. Remember, above all, that the g-bear hunt is a battle. It's not the war. The war is much bigger.

there it truth here^^

BC hunters are in no way organized enough to deal with issues we face. Lots of time spent fighting amongst our selves and labelling hunters into different groups. We as hunters are great at helping throw our own under the bus. The GO resident battle is one that was and is not help for hunters as a whole

Till we have an orginzed voice we will be ignored

Salty
11-25-2016, 12:01 PM
John Horgan if you are listening I have two words for you. Cheap shot. As has been said this is a political foot ball that you've tossed out for your (assumed) gain that does nothing for over all game health and management nor the resident hunters of BC. It'll get all of the attention put on one species that is not in any threat in BC while ignoring other extremely important issues and species that are threatened. I had hopes when I heard you speak at the allocation rally a couple of years ago but they are long gone. This is Weaver's idea that you've stolen and added your own stamp of leaving the hide in the bush to rot just to appease the animal rights extremists. Fail.

panhead
11-25-2016, 03:48 PM
Hey ... there is an election coming up. This is the first shot I have heard fired, ICBC next, then ...
At least the dippers have drawn first. Christie just can't agree with them now ... can she?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I’m Ready. Let her buck.

srupp
11-25-2016, 03:58 PM
Hmmm love to see guides advertise world wide..grizzly hunt..meat only..can't take hide, claws, skull..
Srupp

wideopenthrottle
11-25-2016, 04:02 PM
seems that would just create a high value black market for them and result in poaching.....like with eagle feathers...um nevermind

Rob Chipman
11-25-2016, 04:32 PM
"Christie just can't agree with them now ... can she?"

Exactly! The math on that is "How much does the GOABC give me? How grief are these friggin' bears gonna cause me? Is the GOABC donation worth it?"

Salty
11-25-2016, 04:53 PM
You know in most elections I've been able to think OK this party is for residents that hunt, or at least this party will leave the status quo where that party is out to screw me. Now I look at both of them and they both want to **** us. The NDP wants to do away with grizzly hunting for purely emotional reasons. And the Liberals couldn't GAF about resident hunters the only thing it contained in their hunting file is keep the GOABC happy at all cost. I'm starting to feel like an American, two really shitty choices and one extreme long shot.

okas
11-25-2016, 08:12 PM
Will they meat hunt of wolf and coyote? YES:roll: find the market dogs are dogs

mpotzold
11-25-2016, 08:32 PM

Why not!:-P
Dog meat is considered a delicatessen by many in both Korea & parts of China!:shock:

Pemby_mess
11-25-2016, 08:35 PM
my father in-law enjoys it - I've eaten but don't particularly enjoy it - tastes like tough, dry, dirty pork lol

HarryToolips
11-25-2016, 08:40 PM

Yup..........

HarryToolips
11-25-2016, 08:41 PM
Why not!:-P
Dog meat is considered a delicatessen by many in both Korea & parts of China!:shock:
Lol I was gonna say you can just donate it to your nearest Hong Kong restaurant..

gutpile
11-25-2016, 08:54 PM
in the not so distant future the environmemtal mmovement will also try to stop road
hunting as not safe and not fair chase .

Fisher-Dude
11-25-2016, 09:27 PM
in the not so distant future the environmemtal mmovement will also try to stop road
hunting as not safe and not fair chase .

NDP already proposed a bill trying to stop road hunting, hunting on quads, sleds, etc.

Probably throw horses and nice boots in there too, if they get their way.

AJWeaver
11-26-2016, 01:39 AM
You know in most elections I've been able to think OK this party is for residents that hunt, or at least this party will leave the status quo where that party is out to screw me. Now I look at both of them and they both want to **** us. The NDP wants to do away with grizzly hunting for purely emotional reasons. And the Liberals couldn't GAF about resident hunters the only thing it contained in their hunting file is keep the GOABC happy at all cost. I'm starting to feel like an American, two really shitty choices and one extreme long shot.

Not so sure about the long shot over here on the BC Greens. We've had an explosion in support over the last two years. We've got a great lineup of candidates.

Wild one
11-26-2016, 07:30 AM
Not so sure about the long shot over here on the BC Greens. We've had an explosion in support over the last two years. We've got a great lineup of candidates.

Yes and the polls showed an NDP govt last election.

Trump getting in down south should give you an idea there is a large portion of the public that political parties are overlooking.

Bonz
11-26-2016, 08:38 AM

lol, dont mater who you have. its your agedna. dont touch any of earths resources. its what th paty itself represents that makes you guys the long shot., always has and always will
gonna have to con way more of them young offended millenias to vote for you guys and save the planet before your even in a close race

quadrakid
11-26-2016, 08:45 AM
First the grizzly then the iconic mountain sheep being shot by trophy hunters then,,,, it is an anti hunting stance.The people behind this griz hunt thing are anti hunting to the core,and so is the NDP.

silvertip0260
11-26-2016, 08:45 AM
A vote for the NDP is a win win for the anti hunters. Its only the first step for them to stop hunting.