PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for ruining a 10 year olds first hunting season.

Elkaholic
11-24-2016, 08:38 AM
I have been sitting on this for a few days stewing, debating to post up or not and decided screw it I am going to post. This was my sons first hunting season with his own tags, he wanted to setup a trail camera for wt deer late season. We found a spot he liked, setup the camera, put down salt in July. We have been keeping it going all season going to check on the photos and keeping the salt stocked for the last two weeks of Nov to arrive. We have been eagerly awaiting the rut and when the deer funnel down into this area. I went out this past weekend to check on my sons trail camera and found that some hsit rat had stolen it. Now this is typically a very low use area, the only visible tracks I seen were one set of quad track in and out. So I am assuming that quader went for a walk found it and stole it. But there was also a group of at least 2 ppl from trail camped in a wall tent at the Pack Rat recreational site hunting white tailed deer as well. They so happened to have a quad in camp, and would have been hunting that area for how ever long they were there. They camp there every year so if I have to wait until next Nov to talk to these guys that is what I am going to do. If you happen to know people from trail that hunt and camp near the Pack Rat rec site in region 4 I would love to hear from them. At this point I no longer care that I am sharing this area on here for the public to see.

I realize I will probably never see the camera again and I am ok with that, but ffs what gets me is now I have to deal with the disappointment of a 10 year old and try to explain why other hunters would do this to him. He had been so excited to see the pics and see if it was time to go sit this spot only to find out sorry buddy somebody figures they needed your camera more than you did. I just wanted to put it out there good job ******s, you have made a first year hunter question other hunters in the wrong kind of way. I hope you feel good about yourself, sure you might be able to read the card... good job. The camera has a damn lock code on it and I am pretty sure this model does not have a reset function to get rid of it. So you have effectively stolen a brick.

The trail camera model is Amcrest, it has a led screen for setup and a little remote control that fits in the bottom to setup the camera with. I am trying my best to not let the expletives fly here as it just makes my blood boil. . The camera was there the weekend of the 12th because that was my last check in with it. From there its gone, the people from trail that were camped there pulled out around the 15th is what I was told. If anybody has any information I would greatly appreciate it.

Sorry for the rant. I have added a photo from the location so if you see people that have pics of this well you know how they got them.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_20161107_192121513.jpg

Backwoods
11-24-2016, 08:52 AM
Man that's is terrible, I can't stand people like this, I've gone through three trail cameras now and they weren't that easy to get too! and because of them all getting stolen the third was my 3 strikes!! I'm done with trail cams! Back to the old school way I was taught from my grandfather, clean up trails in the dirt or snow with a rake or pine branch and check tracks, so sad guys can't respect others. If I come across a trail cam I'll take a few funny pictures for them to laugh at and give a thumbs up!! Hope you son isn't to discouraged

Piperdown
11-24-2016, 08:56 AM
Well that totally sucks, what the hell is wrong with people these days. If you want a trail cam go to the store and buy one. Well it is a lesson learned for your son that all people out there don't play by the rules. Good karma to you and your boy, now go tip a beauty over.

Wild one
11-24-2016, 09:10 AM
Sorry to hear and I would be pissed.

Sad to say but I find ethics and respect has gone down the crapper. Still a lot of great hunters out there but the % of idiots has increased in the last 10 years.

As a father I really hate hearing this and hope it does not discourage your boy

Ryo
11-24-2016, 09:16 AM
I feel for you.

my 3 year old has his own little planter box in the community garden that I help him with. This year he had his entire crop of peas stolen. It's hard to teach a calm lesson while you're fuming inside.

adriaticum
11-24-2016, 09:20 AM
Sorry to hear that, Surrey is spreading for sure.

604Stalker
11-24-2016, 09:25 AM
What a horrible thing to do.. Some peoples kids

skibum
11-24-2016, 09:53 AM
Going off one of my boys who is the same age, I would think he will handle this pretty okay, but as would be with me, Dad is probably the one who it is affecting the most - not wanting to let his kids down.

Your boy will be looking at how you handle it; keeping his hopes up to adapt and get that deer.

(my rant would not have been as reserved as your's)

Elkaholic
11-24-2016, 10:00 AM
Going off one of my boys who is the same age, I would think he will handle this pretty okay, but as would be with me, Dad is probably the one who it is affecting the most - not wanting to let his kids down.

Your boy will be looking at how you handle it; keeping his hopes up to adapt and get that deer.

(my rant would not have been as reserved as your's)

In weeks past my rant would be all censored. But I have been making an effort to control my rage in front of my children, trying to set the good example..... lol. We will keep going and get him a deer. But he was just as addicted as I am to checking the pics and seeing all the neat stuff that happened when we were gone. It has been a great learning tool for him to show how other people can be, and how he should strive to be nothing like those said people.

Big Lew
11-24-2016, 10:47 AM
And I'll bet the thief will be all pissed off if someone had the gall to
steal your camera from him.
I'm getting old now (70+) and can remember my younger days when most
people left all their gear, including the expensive stuff, in their hunting and
fishing camps without worry of it being stolen. It also was never a concern
to leave your vehicle parked most places. Now it seems there's jack asses
everywhere that get off on vandalizing and or stealing from vehicles parked
anywhere.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-24-2016, 11:22 AM
Make sure you scour the area. Recently I went to retrieve a tcam and as I approached the tree I could see that it was missing. Looked around and found that a bear had ripped it down and swatted or carried it around.

SSS

BigfishCanada
11-24-2016, 12:23 PM
Yes i was going to say, my friends trail cam was 100 yards from the tree it was nailed in

BigBanger
11-24-2016, 12:39 PM
I think you can find a way to turn this negative into a positive learning lesson for the boy. Obviously a new trail cam or two in the near future (christmas?) will help move him past this. Good luck and I'm sorry you're put into this tough spot.

todbartell
11-24-2016, 12:48 PM
I also have walked up to retrieve a cam and it was gone. 75% of the time it was not far. I've had straps break from bears, elk, etc. I'll be running more lock boxes and python locks in the future though. Worth the extra expense, although someone determined will still steal it. Maybe a little sign nailed on the tree above the cam saying 'Smile, you're on satellite trail cam :) ' , will deter some from destroying it

Elkaholic
11-24-2016, 01:11 PM
I also have walked up to retrieve a cam and it was gone. 75% of the time it was not far. I've had straps break from bears, elk, etc. I'll be running more lock boxes and python locks in the future though. Worth the extra expense, although someone determined will still steal it. Maybe a little sign nailed on the tree above the cam saying 'Smile, you're on satellite trail cam :) ' , will deter some from destroying it

This is my only trail cam that I was running without a lock box. Usually always have one, but being he got this as a gift I had yet to get a box for it. I had it up higher in the tree pointing down, and I did do a search around the area and cam up with nothing. I was hoping it was a bear but no luck. There will be many lessons learned on his end because of this, and that is what I have been trying to focus on. Taking the life lessons out of this situation and move on.

dwayne26
11-24-2016, 01:29 PM
I don't have a trail cam but someone should set up a trap and hide another cheaper trail cam that takes pictures of the other trail cam. Then if it goes missing post the picture of the crook who took it on here.

The Hermit
11-24-2016, 01:49 PM
I wonder about booby-trapping the cams somehow that if tampered with a shot of bear spray hits the bear or other predator MoFo right in the face!! Or an exploding canister of red paint, or cyanide, or a 22 blank gets detonated! ;-) Man I hate thieves!!!

Coachman
11-24-2016, 01:59 PM
Every time i put a cam out, i expect it to be gone when I go back to it. There's a jerk off around every corner and it's common place for these turds to show up anywhere and everywhere. There's no deterrent to stealing low value items (theft under $5000.00 in the criminal code) for these losers. Even if they got caught, starting a fight with someone in the back country that has a gun, a knife, and ZERO ethics or morals is a bad idea. There's countless threads of people losing cams and the keyboard UFC champions typing what they'd do if THEY caught them..... .Take the lesson and learn from it. Sucks it was the boy's cam, and sorry it happens to anyone, specially a kid.

hunter1947
11-24-2016, 02:34 PM
Sorry about your loss Warren take a good look around a grizzly might had taken it off the tree ??? there still out

Elkaholic
11-24-2016, 02:58 PM
Sorry about your loss Warren take a good look around a grizzly might had taken it off the tree ???

The tree it was attached to had no trauma at all, doing circles around the spot out to 200 yards yielded nothing as well. I was hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

Spy
11-24-2016, 03:21 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss has anyone thought of putting one of those small GPS trackers inside the camera?

Wild one
11-24-2016, 03:46 PM
Only thing I can think of is if you have another cam set it up for the boy. I would want to keep his interest and not let this effect you to getting out enjoying setting cams together

Daka
11-24-2016, 03:59 PM
These kind of people dont deserve to share nature with rest of enthusiasts like us...

HarryToolips
11-24-2016, 04:29 PM
Sorry to hear that....bush karma will get them...I'm guessing the best way to explain it to your boy is there's asswipes in every avenue of life..

BMAC0
11-24-2016, 04:29 PM
I was searching for a cam I had put in a new spot and thought it was gone.... turns out I was searching on the wrong trees.. but then I did pull the card to find two fine gentlemen looking at the camera and posing for a pic and then they carried on their way, so there are still some good people out there!

Spy
11-24-2016, 04:31 PM
I would tell my kid a bear stole it, much better story for him to tell his friends ;-) Some things kids don't have to know.

quadrakid
11-24-2016, 05:30 PM
It sucks to have something go missing but when it comes to putting something of value in a public place you have to expect losses.White trash abound in the bush.

hunter1947
11-24-2016, 06:16 PM
I was searching for a cam I had put in a new spot and thought it was gone.... turns out I was searching on the wrong trees.. but then I did pull the card to find two fine gentlemen looking at the camera and posing for a pic and then they carried on their way, so there are still some good people out there!

Don't think he was in the wrong place when you have a salt block 10 feet from your cam ,,LOL

hunter1947
11-24-2016, 06:19 PM
Ya I hear what some of you are saying here is what can happen ,,its happened to me many of time .........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5Q8JOobrYY

hunter1947
11-24-2016, 06:24 PM
And I'll bet the thief will be all pissed off if someone had the gall to
steal your camera from him.
I'm getting old now (70+) and can remember my younger days when most
people left all their gear, including the expensive stuff, in their hunting and
fishing camps without worry of it being stolen. It also was never a concern
to leave your vehicle parked most places. Now it seems there's jack asses
everywhere that get off on vandalizing and or stealing from vehicles parked
anywhere.

I hear you I don't leave nothing worth any value in my camp when I head out for a few day can't leave nothing laying around nowadays or it will be gone,,where did the trust go??..

Chuck
11-24-2016, 06:40 PM
I thought of buying one of those cameras for myself, but never did just because they lack the ability to be hidden from sight and still function correctly. That's like buying a new car without wheels. Sorry to hear, yet again, of someone being ripped off.

todbartell
11-24-2016, 08:49 PM
780 HBC members have read this post. I bet 10% of them would of stolen the camera :)

Wild one
11-24-2016, 08:58 PM
780 HBC members have read this post. I bet 10% of them would of stolen the camera :)

These days it might be higher than 10%

Farmer001
11-24-2016, 09:00 PM
Turn into a lesson on how to take the high ground in the situation. There are always people who feel entitled to take other peoples stuff. Respond in a way that he can look on in 20 yrs time of when he was wronged and how his father taught him to respond to the situation. The world can be cruel and education is a key on how to predict and react. Good luck

Johnny G1
11-24-2016, 09:10 PM
780 HBC members have read this post. I bet 10% of them would of stolen the camera :) Must be a lot of theft in your store Mark??? couldn't resist.

hunter1947
11-25-2016, 07:23 AM
I when I go to check my trail cams have a bad feeling when I get close to the cam when I get to see the tree that is holding it I say I hope its there and not gone ??

I had a few of my cards taken this year from the trail cams I have out there at least the person did not take the cam and I thank them for that ,,,Warren we will have
a god talk regarding your trail cam that disappeared some day..

hunter1947
11-25-2016, 07:28 AM
I thought of buying one of those cameras for myself, but never did just because they lack the ability to be hidden from sight and still function correctly. That's like buying a new car without wheels. Sorry to hear, yet again, of someone being ripped off.

Hiding from sight ??? this cam is the same size as many that are on the market has camo as well..

hunter1947
11-25-2016, 07:31 AM
Warren I have a few older trail cams that I am not going to be using anymore will come with battery and memory card,,I am upgrading to the wildgame cam,,I will give one to your son for a christmas present...

338win mag
11-25-2016, 07:52 AM
Turn into a lesson on how to take the high ground in the situation. There are always people who feel entitled to take other peoples stuff. Respond in a way that he can look on in 20 yrs time of when he was wronged and how his father taught him to respond to the situation. The world can be cruel and education is a key on how to predict and react. Good luck

This^^^^^^^^

Brambles
11-25-2016, 08:06 AM
I bet more than 10%

I put out 2 older trail cams this year. One on crown land only accessible through private property and the other is in a cutblock. I have experienced slight anxiety as I walk in on the camera, thinking some shitrat has stolen it.

i was thinking of putting up a online pol on wether you'd steal a trail cam, keep the results hidden. But figured they wouldn't click "yes" anyways.

i find great places to put cameras all the time but I often look around and say, " nope, too easy to steal" or "nope, too much of a pita to check and bait"

i have 2 brand new cams sitting here but I'm afraid to lose them so I'm waiting for the perfect spot......but alas now the season is getting close to the end. Still might for December archery.

hunter1947
11-25-2016, 08:20 AM
Jeff I think the same as you do I put the 100.00 ones in some areas that if I loose one of them I won't be out big bucks I put the hi dollar ones in remote areas..

hunter1947
11-25-2016, 08:21 AM
What we need to do is install a tracking device within the camera ,,take it apart and put one into the camera then watch and wait at your home this would be interesting ,,LOL

jacksondog
11-25-2016, 08:46 AM
Sorry to hear you lost your cam, I have several cameras in that area as well and would be pissed if they were stolen. I have on a few occasions checked on my cameras and have found that the door has been left open, memory card not pushed in all the way and knowing it wasn't my mistake because for 2 weeks I would have pics and then for the next 2 weeks nothing with the memory card not engaged so clearly someone pulled it looked at the pics and then poorly tried to put it back in, thankfully they have never been stolen. I have a few pics of Hunter1947 as well on cam but he gives a simple wave and moves on, Thanks Wayne. Now to your justified rant, I was aware from a buddy of mine in there that weekend that there was 2 camps in that spot, were they both in wall tents?

swampthing
11-25-2016, 08:55 AM
I feel bad for your son. I raised two boys through the 10 year old hunting stage and it was exciting times. I see cameras everywhere I hunt. A quick wave or maybe a funny pose and I am on my way smiling that someone has enjoyed the same country as I have. Hope your son has fun anyways.

Elkaholic
11-25-2016, 09:02 AM
Sorry to hear you lost your cam, I have several cameras in that area as well and would be pissed if they were stolen. I have on a few occasions checked on my cameras and have found that the door has been left open, memory card not pushed in all the way and knowing it wasn't my mistake because for 2 weeks I would have pics and then for the next 2 weeks nothing with the memory card not engaged so clearly someone pulled it looked at the pics and then poorly tried to put it back in, thankfully they have never been stolen. I have a few pics of Hunter1947 as well on cam but he gives a simple wave and moves on, Thanks Wayne. Now to your justified rant, I was aware from a buddy of mine in there that weekend that there was 2 camps in that spot, were they both in wall tents?

I was only made aware of one camp in there from trail, with a wall tent and they had a quad. Thats all I know for sure, other than all the boys camped at the trappers cabin hunting out of it, which is not supposed to be happening at all either. There have been some seriously great offers that have come my way. I don't want to name names, but you guys know who you are and I thank you for those offers. We will be finding a new location as I will not go back there to let the rats have another one. So once the new location is up and running I will be throwing up a thread next year to keep people up on the progress.

I have been teaching my son about trail camera karma since I have been doing this, being that I dont touch other peoples stuff as I dont want that to happen to me. It may be stupid but at least I will be teaching him how to respect other peoples stuff when one happens upon it. You just dont want the bad mojo associated with stealing crap.

Thanks for all the kind responses,
Warren

sawmill
11-25-2016, 11:11 AM
It sucks to have something go missing but when it comes to putting something of value in a public place you have to expect losses.White trash abound in the bush.

Not just "white trash" , they come in all colours.

tightgrouper
11-25-2016, 11:12 AM

I remember being ten years old so I understand how this event could be devastating. I think everyone can relate to these feelings at that age. Hunting for me has had extreme highs and extreme lows so much that I can barely stand it sometimes as an adult. I hope that the dad in this scenario does not give up and moves forward showing his son that moving forward is the thing to do. Get out hunting and I can just about guarantee that the effort will make this event seem less severe and if this young fella gets a deer boy oh boy he'll look back and see the value in moving forward with life which will be a life lesson worth far more than any game camera.

Looking_4_Jerky
11-25-2016, 11:56 AM
Others have touched on this, but I would take the opportunity (even if you didn't want to at this stage of your son's life), to teach your son that among what appears to be a good group of people there COULD always be that individual who is the boil in the ass-crack of society. Go about your life as you would, but always be aware, and don't get too disheartened when you find one of those individuals. Surround yourself with people of integrity.

I sympathize with you. I know it is hard to model the right behavior when you're trying to keep yourself from losing your sh!t over the actions of a self-centered moron. In my mind, the best thing you can model at this point is that you pick up from here and keep going without missing a beat. Shake the dust off, get up, get another cam, set it up and keep 'er going! Just another day in a life where anything can happen and nothing should be surprising. Gotta roll with life's punches!

Bernie O
11-25-2016, 12:33 PM
There is always good advice and bad advice on this forum. To think that someone would encourage you to lie to your kid and potential hunting partner in later life is beyond my understanding. Keep your kid hunting and even if he is soured by this experience do not ever lie, especially to your own.

tightgrouper
11-25-2016, 01:25 PM
I might add that you can't confirm for certain what happened to the camera so reminding yourself that your not certain may take the edge off a bit.

The Hermit
11-25-2016, 02:21 PM
Warren I have a few older trail cams that I am not going to be using anymore will come with battery and memory card,,I am upgrading to the wildgame cam,,I will give one to your son for a christmas present...

Wayne you are one of the nicest people I know! Happy to call you my friend!

rides bike to work
11-25-2016, 11:04 PM
All the bad hunters are from TRAIL.

i buy cheap cams 2 for $100 Simmons or $30 ones from China Ali express.com

then I can put 2 in close proximity and it gives me a hole other perspective on the hunting spot

sparkes3
11-26-2016, 06:54 AM
pita to bait and check = safe cameras
knock on wood

Ddog
11-26-2016, 09:41 AM
I just don't understand the ethics of people,i really don't. What the hell is someone thinking when they steal a game cam anyways, I bet for the most part these people think that they are honest people in their everyday life, don't steal from the store they visit, don't steal from their neighbours,don't steal in general,,, But then when the opportunity arrises, No one looking, chances are pretty slim they would get caught, It just gets the better of them and can't resist taking a cam. I have found at least 10 cams in my travels,,i have checked the cards in a few, although i know this is wrong, the only reason was because these were spots...(.and i say were because i no longer hunt them) that i had been hunting for several years, then someone put a salt lick in, tree stands up and baited them up. I was just curious as to see what was coming in to "my" spot that had been taken over, i was disappointed but i moved on and let them be to "their" new spot.,,,,
As for other cams i have found,,,,,,SORRY for the moon pictures,,;)
i think it is rather funny to think about someone checking their cam and then seeing a big moon on it ,,,then nothing..

AS for the rats that do steal cams,,,you are thieves ,,nothing less,,,and thieves deserve a swift quick kick right in the jewels.

hunter1947
11-26-2016, 04:38 PM
This world is full of bad people the problem is that you can't tell if there bad people by looking at them from the outside..:frown:..

ICEWOODY
11-26-2016, 08:19 PM
Shoot if your willing to steal some dudes cam what are your intentions for harvest and how far will one go?

jimh
11-26-2016, 09:37 PM
I'm building my trapping cabin and wanted to put up some cameras to get critter pictures and people pictures in case of vandalism. I went with the SpyPoint Tiny W-3 because it also sends pictures to a remote storage up to 500ft away so even if the camera gets stolen I will still have the pictures and hopefully even some pics of the thief. I thought I would be getting lots of bear pictures but so far the only pics Ive gotten have been people checking out the cabin. This was the only camera I could find with a remote storage as there is no cell service out there. Not the cheapest cameras out there but I can run several more cameras on the one storage box as long as they are all within range.

kgs
11-26-2016, 10:10 PM
I not sure why everyone is so pissed off. I mean I have read dozen of stories about people stealing trail cams on this very site and I decided why buy one if every idiot out there who fines it just steals it. If you really think about it history has taught us if you leave a camera in the bush and someone else finds it you have a 80% chance some SOB will take it. There has to some way to make them very hard to steal when left out there; until then its a risk you just have to take and expect that you will probably lose it at some point.

Jovesque
11-28-2016, 01:45 PM
Thats really too bad. Like you guy's, I'd be bummed out about not seeing those new pics, not to mention a let down. Although likely, It’s possible it wasn’t taken by hunters at all. I know in my parts, the forest is used by all sorts of folks including back country adventurers, loggers, and land surveyors. Yesterday I ran into a fellow from the city who was out in the bush collecting cedar branches on a contract for christmas decorations. He seemed cool though.

One trick I use, is carry a few tree steps with me; the ones you’d use to set up a tree stand. That way I can set the cam up nice and high (out of reach form most people) and angle it down. Usually I wedge a small stick on the top side to secure the angle, and always set it up on a tree with no branches to climb up on. It's makes for more work to get up there and check your pics, but at least it feels more secure. Just be aware that some cams won’t work properly if they’re too far away/high up from the targeted area.

Good luck and happy hunting with your son.

sawmill
11-28-2016, 01:54 PM
What we need to do is install a tracking device within the camera ,,take it apart and put one into the camera then watch and wait at your home this would be interesting ,,LOL
Or a 12 gauge set gun 25 yards away with the wire hooked to the camera. Then you don`t have to track them.

frankthedog
11-28-2016, 02:22 PM
One trick I use, is carry a few tree steps with me; the ones you’d use to set up a tree stand. That way I can set the cam up nice and high (out of reach form most people) and angle it down. Usually I wedge a small stick on the top side to secure the angle, and always set it up on a tree with no branches to climb up on. It's makes for more work to get up there and check your pics, but at least it feels more secure. Just be aware that some cams won’t work properly if they’re too far away/high up from the targeted area.

Smart idea

Ddog
11-28-2016, 03:03 PM
Well,,,,just went to my cams yesterday,,Warren knows where they are,,its been a good two years in the one spot,,but...someone found it,,deleted all the pictures from thursday, friday, saturday, ...reset the cam and the first pics were saturday night and a couple sunday,,then me walking in to check it late morning,
At least it didn't get stolen.. thanks for that,,whoever you are.
But as i stated before,,when i find a cam,,i sure enjoy posing for a few pics,,so should everyone else!
i have a video of one guy going to my camera, opening it,,then when i got there all my batteries were on the ground. JERKFACE whoever you are.

hunter1947
11-28-2016, 04:41 PM
This has happened to me a few times at least they did not take the trail cam..

hunter1947
11-28-2016, 04:43 PM
Thats really too bad. Like you guy's, I'd be bummed out about not seeing those new pics, not to mention a let down. Although likely, It’s possible it wasn’t taken by hunters at all. I know in my parts, the forest is used by all sorts of folks including back country adventurers, loggers, and land surveyors. Yesterday I ran into a fellow from the city who was out in the bush collecting cedar branches on a contract for christmas decorations. He seemed cool though.

Good luck and happy hunting with your son.

LOL I bought a four foot stepladder aluminum that I have taken in to a few of my trail cam to do the same thing..

hunter1947
11-28-2016, 04:46 PM
Or a 12 gauge set gun 25 yards away with the wire hooked to the camera. Then you don`t have to track them.

LOL Joe you are funny

Backcountry Hunter
12-04-2016, 12:57 AM
Sorry to hear! I had someone mess with a camera on me in the EK also. Then this year had another local be a little bit of a dick towards us. Not sure what it is in the water out there but for the most part I've never had problems anywhere else in the province but there

Camp Cook
12-04-2016, 07:42 AM
I feel for you and your son = my 9 year old son and I just had a trail cam stolen too.

Mind you he also stole just about everything else camping/hunting/fishing/motorcycle riding gear/Jon boat/Rokon motorcycle/Honda 3000 Inverter battery start gen etc etc etc that we owned.

So while I feel for you I wish we were in your shoes... :(