PDA

View Full Version : Main mistakes,,, if ya eating tag soup..deer tags,,not so tasty..

finngun
11-23-2016, 10:45 AM
For myself...no1 started hunting too late..always thinking it,s too warm. it really was ...but then later of the season deer is hanging in thickets,,never on the opening.
WT,,,start moving only at nights....NO2..well i had visitors from old country all september,,no hunting time..
Well i got deer meat anyways,,,my son nailed spike bt..i,m still hunting ducks grouse,,,small game..
But slow season for me after all..
cant complane too much:roll:

4 point
11-23-2016, 11:10 AM
Likewise I issec all of September as out motorhoming. Got out in October saw one nice buck worth taking and didn't get a shot, moved it towards partner who saw it but couldn't get a shot either. Now my partner is heading south this week so no one to go out with. Late season mulie in snow is the best. We saw 3 bucks on weekend but couldn't get shot a only legal 4 pt. Running in 6-8" of snow with chains on is great fun.

okas
11-23-2016, 11:15 AM
right now i can not even chop wood and miss just being in camp as the trip and camp fire are the best part of hunting

twoSevenO
11-23-2016, 11:39 AM
My "problems":

- September: Passed on two 4 points because of a long pack out. In hindsight, i should've shot one of them
- October: Saw nothing but spikes and two points. Didn't want to shoot anything that small
- November early: Saw zero bucks in 3 days. Just couldn't find them
- November late: Still got one kick at the can left. We shall see ... Never give up :)

skibum
11-23-2016, 12:14 PM
Never give up :)

This.......

russm86
11-23-2016, 01:20 PM
For myself...no1 started hunting too late..always thinking it,s too warm. it really was ...but then later of the season deer is hanging in thickets,,never on the opening.
WT,,,start moving only at nights....NO2..well i had visitors from old country all september,,no hunting time..
Well i got deer meat anyways,,,my son nailed spike bt..i,m still hunting ducks grouse,,,small game..
But slow season for me after all..
cant complane too much:roll:

By old country do you mean Suomi (Finland)?

Cyrus
11-23-2016, 02:07 PM
saw a huge buck this am. couldnt count four....likely there but just couldnt see them. he walked off never to be seen again...pretty sure i blew my chance. if we had snow the points would of been easy to count. i just cant be that shoot first count second hunter.

MichelD
11-23-2016, 02:26 PM
Missed a chance at a buck in October when he stepped out onto the road between me and the truck as I was heading back to it. Instinctively raised my binos to confirm even though I had spotted antlers. It was habit from seeing so many does and looking them over that week. Shoulda raised gun and looked through scope right away. Dropped binos, raised rifle and shot as he stepped into the Christmas trees and missed completely.

HarryToolips
11-23-2016, 04:06 PM
saw a huge buck this am. couldnt count four....likely there but just couldnt see them. he walked off never to be seen again...pretty sure i blew my chance. if we had snow the points would of been easy to count. i just cant be that shoot first count second hunter.

All hunters should be doing as you do, I was 90℅ sure on a spike fork bullmoose but didn't take the shot as I could not confirm 100%, that hurt...

finngun
11-23-2016, 04:19 PM
By old country do you mean Suomi (Finland)?
Yessir,,,country of sauna..and,,sako,,tikka:-D

Wild one
11-23-2016, 04:28 PM
Only tag I am eating and not surprised is my goat tag. The wet weather this year had me fogged out 95% of the time even with multiple trips. Add in that it was a new area did not help. But hey it's hunting sometimes things just don't go your way.

Meh try again next year

whitespringer
11-24-2016, 12:29 AM
Early morning scouting trip, spot 3 does. Where's the buck? Right there in the bush on the side hill next to the rest of them. In the scope, wife's binos. Three on on one side, can't confirm 4 on the other. Let it walk. Worked out in the end... Story to follow

hunter1947
11-24-2016, 05:38 AM
There is no one to blame but yourself if you don't get your prey animal ,,it's your choice on how many of you go about hunts if you chose to go out very few times the odds of getting your animal decreases big time ,,all an all it's your choice on the time you spend in the woods no other person can do this for you ,,bottom line the more time out the odds go way up on connecting..

264mag
11-24-2016, 06:36 AM
Why would I buy a cougar tag, I won't see one. Then last night come around a corner and there he is sunning on the road. HMMMM.

kaptin
11-24-2016, 07:40 AM
right now i can not even chop wood and miss just being in camp as the trip and camp fire are the best part of hunting

Agree 100%

omer
11-24-2016, 07:46 AM
I still have my mule deer and white tail tag. Spent 3 days this week in 3-12. It was cold, seen a lot of moose tracks, cougar tracks, deer tracks but not a single animal. Found beddings, tree scrapes, very nice spots but no luck. Either heavily hunted area or maybe the wrong time of the season for this area. Left me in surprises. I dont know if I have one more trip left in me or not as its really late now and chances are not very good. Oh well maybe next year.

HarryToolips
11-24-2016, 07:51 AM
There is no one to blame but yourself if you don't get your prey animal ,,it's your choice on how you go about hunts if you chose to go out very few times the odds of getting your animal decreases big time ,,all an all it's your choice on the time you spend in the woods no other person can do this for you ,,bottom line the more time out there odds go way up on connecting..
Right,but.some.of.us.with.young.families.want.to.g et.out.more,but.only.have.so.much.time.to.get.out, me.for.example,I.get.out.about.once.a.week,sometim es.a.little.more...luckily.in.my.case.due.to.prese ason.scouting.year.round,I.have.harvested.2.big.ga me.animals.this.season,but.for.many.others.it.ain' t.so.easy....stupid.can't.do.spacebar...

HarryToolips
11-24-2016, 07:54 AM
I still have my mule deer and white tail tag. Spent 3 days this week in 3-12. It was cold, seen a lot of moose tracks, cougar tracks, deer tracks but not a single animal. Found beddings, tree scrapes, very nice spots but no luck. Either heavily hunted area or maybe the wrong time of the season for this area. Left me in surprises. I dont know if I have one more trip left in me or not as its really late now and chances are not very good. Oh well maybe next year.
3-12.sees.very.high.hunting.pressure,but.like.pretty .much.everywhere.in.BC,there.is.game.to.be.found,k eep.putting.in.the.time,and.you.will.connect...

sawmill
11-25-2016, 11:18 AM
Broke my rule and shot a nice 4x4 whitie back in September, normally I wait till now when better bucks show up. BUT.. bird in the hand thing. I haven`t seen any good bucks since, lots of dinks. Got my doe too so I can`t complain but I sure like hunting in the snow. Wife has a tag if I can convince her to go out with me.

SSG-man
11-25-2016, 12:48 PM
Thats a bit presumptuous wayne.
As other member stated, some of us have work. families etc.

If I could sit in a creek drinking beer waiting for hunting season I would.
Or go lamping after work with a key to most of the gates…..that would work ok too.

There is no one to blame but yourself if you don't get your prey animal ,,it's your choice on how many of you go about hunts if you chose to go out very few times the odds of getting your animal decreases big time ,,all an all it's your choice on the time you spend in the woods no other person can do this for you ,,bottom line the more time out the odds go way up on connecting..

geo guy
11-26-2016, 07:12 AM
Rough year for me, saw a small whitie buck in September but he was gone before I could even get one in the chamber the does hung around though. Got a ton of grouse though best year on them yet. I worked literally everyday in October so no any buck or whitie doe. Then come November it's 22 degrees out. Only saw one 2 point in my first trip out in November, but on the second trip after Remembrance Day we got some snow saw a really nice 5x4 but had colossal gear failure which lead to me not getting him. Only say 2 other little bucks and now I'm working again.

Lukeez88
11-26-2016, 07:55 AM

Last edited by hunter1947; 11-24-2016 at 07:34 AM.
So true. I did cut a couple tags this year, but not the monster ram or muley that i fall asleep at night dreaming about every night, just couldnt find him. Did i work my butt off and pound those mountains harder than ever before? Yes. No one to blame but myself. Sure the weather was often not ideal, but i can never blame it on the weather because the fact is the animals were still there somewhere. Hunting to me is the adventure of trying. Whether you are successful in cutting a tag or not, if you made a plan of attack, went out, put that plan into action and laid it all on the line, left nothing out there on the mountains, no stone unturned, then you are living the dream! Good on you!
I just got back from my last hunt of the year a couple days ago. I am sad to see my season come to an end but already i cannot wait until next season!

markomoose
11-29-2016, 09:46 PM
Tag soup this season.I got greedy and worked almost every weekend.All my bills are caught up but my freezer is empty.

Linksman313
11-30-2016, 01:56 PM

Get off the soap box there bud, we all know why we missed out on our tags. This thread seems to be for those of us who were not as successful as others to commiserate and learn for next year. Thanks

finngun
11-30-2016, 05:06 PM
There is huge diff,,btw,,hunters who spend 30days,,,and another,who can,spend,only 3weekends in hunting.family,,work,,or,another reasons.

Squamch
11-30-2016, 06:33 PM
Like h1947 said, those reasons are your decision. Your priorities. I'm not saying it's wrong to place family and employment above being wet and cold and tired, er, I mean, above hunting, but it is a decision.

I didn't cut a bear tag because my partner decided he wasn't going to help with a bear, and told me as I was settling in to shoot. So poor partner choice is my main reason for un-cut tags.
And I didn't cut a whitetail tag because I never actually hunted on our 4 day Victoria-Brooks Ab-Victoria moving run. Oh well.

RackStar
11-30-2016, 06:43 PM
Hmm a little bummed I never tagged a deer this year. Saw some nice ones, no shot. Then had car faliure on my October hunt wich ended it on day 1.

But it I can't complain. I shot a nice moose on October 1 and have half a moose in the freezer.
Lots of trail caming and scouting for me this off season. Can't wait.

Jeff77
11-30-2016, 06:44 PM
I usually do best on opening weekends..right in the beginning before there all timbered up ..

landphil
11-30-2016, 07:40 PM
Had someone wipe out my truck and try to take me with it early September. Didn't have another truck till late October, and driving rough roads or hiking with a pack doesn't go too well with whiplash injuries. Yup, definetly my choice. Oh well, I got three ruffles with two shots, so three kills better than last year.

dblung
11-30-2016, 08:20 PM
Get off the soap box there bud, we all know why we missed out on our tags. This thread seems to be for those of us who were not as successful as others to commiserate and learn for next year. Thanks

Here, here. More of a pedestal than a soap box though. IMHO