PDA

View Full Version : Feeding of wild turkeys

belongtotom
11-22-2016, 04:10 PM
What are the limits as to feeding wild turkeys ,I live in the Creston area and we have a neighbour who is regularly feeding 75-100 birds at a sitting ,What a mess . Surely this is not right .

11-22-2016, 04:14 PM
Buy a bow.....

Jagermeister
11-22-2016, 04:23 PM
What are you whining about? You must be a hunter to have the desire to join this forum but since you just joined and this is the initial post, maybe it's a troll .
On the contrary, if you are legitimate, you have the ultimate best. Neighbor that feeds birds keeps the hunting close to home. How much better can that be?

Stone Sheep Steve
11-22-2016, 04:28 PM
Turkeys are the number 1 complaint animal in California. Their waste under roost trees is quite caustic.

But I'm sure there's nothing illegal about it. Just think of them as jumbo ckickadees

sss

RiverOtter
11-22-2016, 07:32 PM
Bluesman, is that you??....:-P

boxhitch
11-22-2016, 07:36 PM
mmmm just in time for christmas

604Stalker
11-22-2016, 07:52 PM
Give me his address and telephone number and first name and I will have a talk with this gentalman about it? :biggrin:

Clint_S
11-22-2016, 11:12 PM
No joke those things are a mess and a real pest. I have four residents which I can handle but I also have a flock of 18 come around occasionally and they make a real mess of things I can't imagine what a flock of 75 to 100 would be like. You might want to call the CO.

Chuck
11-22-2016, 11:36 PM
Right now they are ganging up and might cause a traffic accident someplace in MU 4. Oh Whitey bucks prowling about just after dark too. Heh heh heh!

35 Whelen
11-22-2016, 11:58 PM
When I want my lawn thatched....I throw handfuls of expired rice grains on the grass...they scratch away and in no time flat my lawn is thatched and no sore back or arms for me....LOL

Jagermeister
11-23-2016, 03:07 AM
When I want my lawn thatched....I throw handfuls of expired rice grains on the grass...they scratch away and in no time flat my lawn is thatched and no sore back or arms for me....LOL
Now there's thinking outside of the box!��

belongtotom
11-23-2016, 09:44 AM
What am I whining about ? Unless you have had a gang of turkeys like this day in and day out in your living space you would have no conception of what I inguired about. That was what can be done to stop the feeding of the birds ? Feeding the birds makes them dependant on their source of food . I have hunted all my life and enjoy the experince still . This is not ethical .
For anybody who wants to shoot a turkey ( in season ) they can do so right off my deck . Just give me a call ahead of time and your in . Location is West Creston and the Creston valley in general .

rocksteady
11-23-2016, 09:48 AM
Nothing illegal about it...

belongtotom
11-23-2016, 11:21 AM
I would like get a reference either pro or con , not just nothing illegal about .
A statment like that is not information . I am attempting to build a cache of informantion on this unethical practice . We all want what is best for wildlife here in B.C. do we not?

Sambor
11-23-2016, 11:34 AM
Hi Belongtotom,
I can't speak about wild turkeys, as I only saw them twice when visiting relatives in WI, but i plan to hunt them though when I move to BC. I think National Wild Turkey Federation might have some useful info for you:
http://www.nwtf.org/

belongtotom
11-23-2016, 11:52 AM
Thanks , that is the kind of input that I am looking for , I will purse that tip Thanks again

skibum
11-23-2016, 12:08 PM
Ya, just wait until a predator keys in on this.

What happened to all the turkeys in the valley? They all keyed in on one area, and were easy pickings.

But it makes some all warm and fuzzy to feed the animals

rocksteady
11-23-2016, 12:29 PM
I would like get a reference either pro or con , not just nothing illegal about .
A statment like that is not information . I am attempting to build a cache of informantion on this unethical practice . We all want what is best for wildlife here in B.C. do we not?

What I am saying is your original note asked "what are the limits of feeding wild turkeys?" There is your answer..

You then say that it is a mess and "is not right"... So even though it is not illegal, you are saying basically "it should be".

Then now you are stating it is "unethical"... IN YOUR OPINION. Ethics are to each his own... I think it is very ethical, the people are feeding the birds so that they do not have to struggle so hard to find food in winter, thus creating better reproduction and flock growth next year... THATS MY OPINION..

Sounds like a Hatfield and Macoy situation where you want to find some sort of info so that you can make the neighbour stop...

Baiting for hunting purposes is only illegal for bears... And feeding of wild animals is only illegal if they are considered dangerous game (coyotes/wolves/cougars etc) NOT for the purpose of hunting them...

wideopenthrottle
11-23-2016, 12:39 PM
for us detached from your situation, it seems like someone else is fattening up animals we can put in our freezer...ie a win win...of course we don't have to deal with the noise, mess or wingnut neighbour

BigD_83
11-23-2016, 01:16 PM
A friend of mine back who lives in Maine has a resident flock of gobblers that hang out around their property. A handful only, but in other parts of New England, they are considered a serious hazard animal.

Massachusetts has a wee bulletin about it:

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dfw/fish-wildlife-plants/mammals/preventing-conflicts-with-turkeys.html

Here in BC, there is nothing illegal in feeding them, but I agree that it can lead to a real problem.

What is your relationship with the feeder? If they won't speak with you about it, perhaps a CO can help guide them to a more respectful decision.

I will take you up on your offer if I'm passing through the valley during turkey season.

boxhitch
11-23-2016, 02:11 PM
We all want what is best for wildlife here in B.C. do we notYes, and everyone has their own opinion as to what is the best, and some even agree with others. Just like ethics

Currently their is nothing illegal about feeding any wildlife except 'dangerous' critters. Maybe work on getting turkeys listed there.
BC Gov does not condone feeding, and suggests against it, but thats as far as it goes.

Gateholio
11-23-2016, 02:20 PM
Much depends on where you live, and if there are any bylaws. If you live within a municipality there is probably some sort of nuisance bylaw. You mention that you can shoot them off your deck so maybe you are outside of the city limits, with fewer regulation.

This might be able to be solved with a conversation to the neighbor, depending on how well you get along.

A foxpro caller with howling coyote calls might make them nervous, too :)

belongtotom
11-23-2016, 03:07 PM
All the neighbours in this community including myself have spoken to the feeder in an attempt to have this practice either stopped or curbed . To date he just laughed at them . I have gone one step further and servered him a letter to stop this feeding That did get his attention ( for now)
I am a little surprised that some sportsmen are speaking in favourable terms of this practice , .One thing I have considered doing is posting the locatation and booking hunts for corn fed turkeys right off my deck

Jagermeister
11-23-2016, 03:18 PM
All the neighbours in this community including myself have spoken to the feeder in an attempt to have this practice either stopped or curbed . To date he just laughed at them . I have gone one step further and servered him a letter to stop this feeding That did get his attention ( for now)
I am a little surprised that some sportsmen are speaking in favourable terms of this practice , .One thing I have considered doing is posting the locatation and booking hunts for corn fed turkeys right off my deck
I'm in! :-P:D:grin:8)

rocksteady
11-23-2016, 03:32 PM
I have gone one step further and servered him a letter to stop this feeding That did get his attention ( for now)

What did the letter say? And under what regulations did you state he was doing wrong??

Slinky Pickle
11-23-2016, 05:07 PM
I'm pretty sure that a predator call set on "coyote howl" might influence the birds a bit.

belongtotom
11-23-2016, 07:47 PM
Presently I use my dog to run them off , but they get used to that and it is only marginaly successful , they keep coming to the food source .
My orginal questions still stands . What resources can I bring to bear on this problem ? And the problem is the "feeder " not the turkeys . No feed No turkeys , just that simple

rocksteady
11-23-2016, 08:10 PM
Pretty sure you are SOL. .

Call the CO

Dlo11
11-23-2016, 08:40 PM
Corn fed turkey where do I sign up

Slinky Pickle
11-23-2016, 11:09 PM
My orginal questions still stands . What resources can I bring to bear on this problem ?

I think that question has been answered. He's not breaking any laws and therefore, regardless of your dislike of the situation, there's not much you can do.

Gateholio
11-23-2016, 11:13 PM
Ha ha yup. Get abunch of guys on opening day to "remove" the problem. :)

belongtotom
11-25-2016, 08:42 PM
It appears that nobody as a solution with merit ,so after a bit of thought we'll go this route
March1 , 2017 ,I will repost this and give an address It is in the West Creston area so whoever likes can come and shoot their turkey .
Also it is a good place to practice calling as you can see the birds and how they react to various calls
Equipment reguired is a shotgun and a coffee cup .
What the heck we may all can do some hunting and make some new friends

Ddog
11-25-2016, 09:40 PM

If there is no law against it, no bylaws against it ,,then who the F___ are you to stop someone from enjoying the birds? So this one neighbour loves to feed turkeys and perhaps it is one of his simple joys and he feels good about it..You Served him a letter? who the F--- cares? oh wow my neighbour served me a letter,,ouch.. Maybe you lied in the letter to get his attention and that is maybe why its been effective,
A little surprised are you that some sportsmen are in favour of it? Are you a little surprised that everyone has their own opinion to? Frankly i am a little surprised that you came on here and asked what you can do to stop someone from doing something that is not illegal.
To each their own,
Look up your municipal bylaws.

Salty
11-25-2016, 09:52 PM
I am surprised that mass regular feeding of any wild game animals would be legal in an urban area. I'd call the local CO explain the situation and get the word.

rides bike to work
11-25-2016, 10:08 PM
Man there is a lot of turkeys in the creston area. The past few years seemed to be even more of them saw lots of big flocks this fall and groups of over 20 chicks.

What part of feeding the birds do you find unethical. Is it the feeding the wildlife or is he shooting them off his porch.

turkey burgers
roast turkey
turkey gumbo
turkey jerky
turkey sausage
deepfried turkey
turkey pepperoni

pain in the ass plucking those damn tings though

albravo2
11-25-2016, 10:13 PM
I know someone that feeds raccoons. Scads of them. I think his neighbours have a pretty good reason to be annoyed.

The only smart people I know that feed wildlife are planning to kill them.

rocksteady
11-26-2016, 09:43 AM
I am surprised that mass regular feeding of any wild game animals would be legal in an urban area. I'd call the local CO explain the situation and get the word.

West Creston is not urban..

Stone Sheep Steve
11-26-2016, 09:58 AM
West Creston is not urban..

What?!? You mean it's not like West Van?!?

The neighbour is probably trying to feed the chickadees and the turkeys keep eating it.
ive been trying to feed the squirells and the deer keep eating it! Ba$tards!
Going to try to fix that.

belongtotom
11-26-2016, 10:38 AM
Who cares about feeding the Wild turkeys , well lets see , were the turkey crap being tracked into your garage and onto your deck and across the floor of you house on a continual basis , I suspect you would care also .
The local CO has been contacted on this matter and to date no responce !!!
Read the wild life act and ponder what it has to say about feedinfg life .!!!
Also the charter of rights and freedoms has a blurb about enjoying ones habititat .!!!
The spring hunt is on and will be posted on the March1 2017
To end this, it is note worthy the people with the most posts in a forum usally make the least sense

rocksteady
11-26-2016, 11:01 AM
Why would the CO do anything???

IT IS NOT ILLEGAL!!!!!

Get it???

Charter of Rights and Freedoms? Seriously???

fuzzy 63
11-26-2016, 12:08 PM
hello , i have to post to this . you have a little over 3 months to think this over . If you think you have a shit show now , wait until you have all of the anonymous posters who will want to come to your property on opening day to try to harvest a bird. Consider that you will be the one who will still have to live with your neighbor doing as they wish and will very likely continue to do so in the future . unless you don't care about the fallout , have at er and good luck to you .
Cliff

belongtotom
11-26-2016, 12:58 PM
Point taken , I have lived with this mess for three years now and it is getting worse , The feeder cares not for any of the neighbours and I don't see that changing , Nobody minds seeing a flock come through the area But this number of birds is a little much.Had I wanted to live in a barnyard I would have stayed on the farm . The spring hunt is on Watch for the posting

IronNoggin
11-26-2016, 01:32 PM
... The spring hunt is on Watch for the posting

WoHoo! I may well have to take you up on that!
Never shot one in BC... yet...

Looking Forward!! :-D

Cheers!
Nog

panhead
11-26-2016, 05:13 PM
I'm on my way ...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The sheep are fleeced then flocked.

bloody bellies
11-29-2016, 07:15 PM
hey guys new to this site, surprisingly only 4 takers , can I join, never shot a turkey, I'll get rid of 1 for ya.

Gateholio
11-29-2016, 07:52 PM
I'm cleaning my guns as we speak, looking forward to the turkey shoot. :)

Moose63
11-29-2016, 08:02 PM
A thread that makes you say "Mmmmm" Circled on my calendar.

yamadirt 426
11-30-2016, 08:21 AM
Ill pm you in a few months. Will take a couple off your hands.

604Stalker
11-30-2016, 08:46 AM
This calls for a big deep fryer and some gatehouse special seasoning... I would say Ill bring the beer for after but I feel like it will be a big crowd.

mastercaster
11-30-2016, 01:16 PM
I'm cleaning my guns as we speak, looking forward to the turkey shoot. :)

How do you guys feel about a peacock shoot? LOL I keep hearing news stories about how a neighbourhood in Surrey is being over run by about 30 or so peacocks. They're SUPER noisy and very aggressive. When they're on the road they pretty much refuse to move and they make the people drive around them. Pretty funny, actually. I do need some feathers for fly tying so i may go down there and bop one. LOL

Ddog
11-30-2016, 01:38 PM
[QUOTE=belongtotom;1849981]Who cares about feeding the Wild turkeys , well lets see , were the turkey crap being tracked into your garage and onto your deck and across the floor of you house on a continual basis , I suspect you would care also.

Might i suggest you take your shoes or boots off before you enter "you" house.

wideopenthrottle
11-30-2016, 01:52 PM
http://www.chowhound.com/post/peacock-meat-legal-ca-usa-803835

BigBanger
11-30-2016, 01:55 PM
I'd really like to get in on helping you with the problem this coming spring. I'll buy the coffee.

jimbc
12-01-2016, 05:27 PM
I cannot fathom having to live next to 75-100 wild turkeys. Had to live amongst 20 or so a couple of decades ago in a fish camp and I always regretted not taking my .22. They were a real pain in the rear end.
Your neighbour laughs at your concerns. Some see no issue with that, I would have a serious issue with it as it involves 75-100 wild turkeys, not his smoker going for a day or two or his daughters birthday party.
I am not a lawyer so take this at face value. You've done the right thing by asking your neighbour to desist in writing. Keep a copy. Sure, there's no specific law against feeding wild turkeys, but everyone has a right in BC to "quiet enjoyment" of their property. It's a legal term and has a context. As well, Noise Control Bylaw No. 1389 (http://www.creston.ca/DocumentCenter/View/66)is in place to ensure that everyone can enjoy peace and quiet within the vicinity of the Town of Creston, without disruption from noise or disturbances. I also took a look at the Wildlife Act and sure enough, you cannot feed dangerous wildlife. However, is it possible that when winter really hits, those turkeys may attract coyotes, cougars, etc? Here is something to consider from the Wildlife Act below in bold. Again, I am not a lawyer, but it seems that 75-100 freakin' turkeys next door that come and go as they please, i.e. they aren't domesticated and in a structure, would be enough to drive me nuts. I am with you and hope this might help. Good luck and keep yer cool, let your neighbour do all the digging.
Attracting dangerous wildlife
33.1 (1) A person
must not (a) intentionally feed or attempt to feed dangerous wildlife,
or
(b) provide, leave or place an attractant in, on or about any land
or premises with the intent of attracting dangerous wildlife.

(2) A person must not leave or place an attractant in, on or about
any land or premises where there are or where there are likely to be people, in
a manner in which the attractant could
(a) attract dangerous wildlife to the land or premises, and
(b) be accessible to dangerous wildlife.

rocksteady
12-01-2016, 06:11 PM
City bylaws do not apply here..

West Creston is not part of Creston. It is part of the Regional District of Central Kootenay..

Do some research jimbc before you post wrong advice...

jimbc
12-02-2016, 03:24 PM
Hey rocksteady, I will let boxhitch decide which advice for him is right or wrong.

Ddog
12-02-2016, 06:11 PM
jimbc,,,quoting out of the wildlife act has only what you perceive, feeding dangerous wildlife, when did turkeys become dangerous wildlife?.,it has nothing to do with what you posted,,your legal term has no context to wild turkeys walking around with them going cluck cluck cluck,,,,hardly a noise violation, when it is not in the vicinity of Creston,,perhaps look that up? For all your subtleties you have not wisdom in your post. Did the right thing did he,, by sending a letter? how is that the right thing?
sure enough cannot feed dangerous wildlife,,I CAN SEE THE HEADLINES NOW>>>> NEIGHBOUR GETS ATTACKED BY WILD TURKEYS, NOW CONSIDERED DANGEROUS WILDLIFE
i hardly think he is intentionally intending to attract dangerous wildlife.
also..did i miss something somewhere, what does boxhitch have to decide?

rocksteady
12-02-2016, 07:09 PM
Hey rocksteady, I will let boxhitch decide which advice for him is right or wrong.

Boxhitch?? Huh???

Is the other id an alias that he has created??

You do not specify where you live but it is blatantly obvious that you don't live in or may have never even been to West Creston, which is not even incorporated with Creston proper

rocksteady
12-02-2016, 07:24 PM
And where does the point of his "smoker going for a day or two" play into this???

Sounds like neighbours who hate each other and just looking for something to squeak about...

my smoker does does not put off more "smoke" than a cigarette on the back porch..,

belongtotom
12-02-2016, 07:33 PM
Now we are getting somewhere with the free advice , As is usual in an forum some input has merit and some is is with little or no thought .
There was 52 birds which came to a corn supper tonight Now imagine for a minute that mess in your habitat.
Feeding these birds is not doing them any good , and yes the coyotes have moved in nicely ,watched one get snagged by a coyote , two mornings ago as they came out of their roost trees
It would appear that this is only going to go away the hard way and the birds will be the losers
Thanks for the support and The Hunt Is On
And Rock steady try not to be to negative with life

boxhitch
12-02-2016, 07:48 PM
Boxhitch?? Huh??
Is the other id an alias that he has created??Not me, More research needed for sure

rocksteady
12-03-2016, 11:14 AM
I am not being negative, you came on here asking a question. It was clearly related to you that your neighbour is doing nothing illegal. Period..

You don't accept that, fair enuff but the regulations are crystal clear on this and you are in denial..

not negative... Truthful!!!!

belongtotom
12-03-2016, 03:28 PM
Testy testy , things can be done , and are being done to curb this practice of feeding the turkeys. Just saying nothing can be done is both negative and not very helpful to any one.
There are several solutions at work at the present time .
The spring hunt is a go

palmer
12-03-2016, 03:57 PM
Testy testy , things can be done , and are being done to curb this practice of feeding the turkeys. Just saying nothing can be done is both negative and not very helpful to any one.
There are several solutions at work at the present time .
The spring hunt is a go

I am confused you come on asking for help and then happily inform people who do not agree with you, THAT THINGS CAN BE DONE
It sounds like you just wanted support to go after your neighbour for feeding turkeys and making a mess
I am very happy to see the turkeys on my property in winter and don't mind the mess they make.
I guess to each there own....maybe move to the city and you will not have to worry about messy wildlife...

rocksteady
12-03-2016, 04:39 PM
I am done Laid out the facts.. Recipient does not want to understand so he can kiss my a$$...

Quit squabbling with the neighbours, your life will be happier

Ddog
12-03-2016, 04:55 PM
HEY belongtotom,,, lets see some pictures of the turkey "herd" coming to dinner.

mrdoog
12-03-2016, 04:59 PM
"Quit squabbling with the neighbours, your life will be happier"

YUP, you hit the nail on the head, more of a neighbour issue than a wildlife issue
Perhaps a discussion over a bottle of Wild Turkey would smooth things over

rocksteady
12-03-2016, 05:04 PM
Buddy of mine in West Creston was bragging cause they refused to go on daylight savings time... sticking it to the man, non conformist...

i said no, you guys are too stupid to reprogram your vcrs to the right time...

look over, his vcr is blinking "12:00"...

nuff said

Boner
12-03-2016, 06:03 PM
"Quit squabbling with the neighbours, your life will be happier"

YUP, you hit the nail on the head, more of a neighbour issue than a wildlife issue
Perhaps a discussion over a dinner of Wild Turkey would smooth things over

Fixed it for you! :)

belongtotom
12-03-2016, 07:18 PM
More than likely i am probally wrong , but is not the desire to have the absolute last word in a discussion a female gender trait