PDA

View Full Version : Some Rabbit Questions

4x4
11-22-2016, 11:58 AM
I'll be going rabbit hunting within the next 2 weeks. First time for bunnies. I'll be using my 22lr.

My brother shot one a few days ago just to make sure they are good eating. He said it was very good.

I am a rookie hunter but I know I'll get some. I will only shoot what we will eat. I don't want to take to many if there is a chance that the meat quality goes down once frozen. Everybody seems to have their own opinions on this so I thought I would ask on this site to hear from experienced hunters.

1) does the taste and quality of the meat get worse if frozen?
2) I'm thinking of possibly getting rabbit sausage made. If so, will sausage last longer in the freezer than just the frozen bunnies?
3) does anybody know a butcher that will make the sausage. I usually deal with Sumas Meats, so I will call them to see if they will do this.
4) there are 2 types of rabbits in the area I will be hunting. Eastern Cottontail and European. Is the meat the same or different?

Any advise is appreciated.

Thx

Ryo
11-22-2016, 12:06 PM
1) Absolutely not.
2-3) You'd have to be an absolute rabbit slayer to make this worthwhile.
4) Not sure, but probably not. Snowshoehare hare is different though - dark meat instead of the light meat of a cottontail.

A tip: If you're freezing them, you can tuck the back legs into the body cavity, which will prevent the sharp leg bones from puncturing your vacuum bag or ziplock.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/j69ny88dv3654yr/IMG_7304.JPG?dl=0

Ryo
11-22-2016, 12:12 PM
Though I should add: IF you do puncture the bags and you end up getting ice crystals forming on the meat, it will freezer burn quickly. We used to buy frozen rabbits from a small farm, and they'd already have freezer burn because of the poor packaging (loose ziplock). Want it done right, do it yourself!

4x4
11-22-2016, 02:37 PM
Thx for the reply Ryo.
These rabbits are approx 6 lbs. The one my brother shot was 6.5 lbs. From the pics he sent me they are all in that range. He has a vacuun sealer.

Dlo11
11-22-2016, 03:17 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread but where can you find snowshoe hare?? Never hunted them as this is my first season. Where do I need to go from maple ridge???

jeff341
11-22-2016, 04:02 PM
I would break the rabbits apart before freezing as well. It's best to slow cook or braise the legs (including the front legs) and sear or roast the saddles. If you bag and freeze each part together, it makes it easier when you're ready to cook them.....all the legs (or as many as you want in a pack) in the pot for a few slow hours for one meal and then the saddle separate for another. I like to debone the saddle completely and roll it around a stuffing of any kind.

The front legs are a great addition to a pasta or a ravioli stuffing....slow braise them and pull off all of the meat from several rabbits to make another full meal.

two-feet
11-22-2016, 08:15 PM
I'll be going rabbit hunting within the next 2 weeks. First time for bunnies. I'll be using my 22lr.

My brother shot one a few days ago just to make sure they are good eating. He said it was very good.

I am a rookie hunter but I know I'll get some. I will only shoot what we will eat. I don't want to take to many if there is a chance that the meat quality goes down once frozen. Everybody seems to have their own opinions on this so I thought I would ask on this site to hear from experienced hunters.

1) does the taste and quality of the meat get worse if frozen?
2) I'm thinking of possibly getting rabbit sausage made. If so, will sausage last longer in the freezer than just the frozen bunnies?
3) does anybody know a butcher that will make the sausage. I usually deal with Sumas Meats, so I will call them to see if they will do this.
4) there are 2 types of rabbits in the area I will be hunting. Eastern Cottontail and European. Is the meat the same or different?

Any advise is appreciated.

Thx

confidence is good, but don't count your rabbits before you hunt.

p0stij
11-22-2016, 09:22 PM
First and last hours of the day are your best bets. Field dress with the toothpaste tube trick and you can skin them without a knife. I freeze them whole or quartered (keep the backs too) and cook them in the crock pot as stew, meat falls right off the bones.