PDA

View Full Version : To reload or not to reload?

Backwoods
11-22-2016, 09:07 AM
Hey guys just wanted to through it out there and see how many guys are reloading and collecting data on their everyday hunting rifles? I am considering starting to collect data for my browning xbolt 300winn, I've spoke to a few people about it and it seems more people are telling me it's a waist of time for what I'm going to get out of it. And few others are saying what if you have that opportunity to make a shot at 600 yards, your going to want match ammo!! What's your thoughts and opinions? Have you ever been in the situation wishing you had spent the time and money reloading!? -Backwoods

Bonz
11-22-2016, 09:31 AM
im kinda in that boat. dont shoot enough for it to save me anything. id do more for just the building my own gear and that satisfaction. still alot of money to have that enjoyment to reload myself. lucky if i shoot 1 box a year, still half a box left from this season even lol

BgBlkDg
11-22-2016, 09:37 AM
Handloading, is fundamental to becoming a skilled and knowledgable rifle shot. I shot 2-6000 big bore handloads every year for many years and have loaded since January, 1968.

I have felt for years that a shooting skill test, as those in Germany and Scandinavian countries should be mandatory in BC and strictly enforced before anyone could buy species tags.

I now cannot shoot as I did, due to spinal issues, but, still do a few hundred every year and am VERY careful about which shots I will take.

Onesock
11-22-2016, 09:41 AM
Reloading to save money is like hunting to save money! Reloading is a hobby. You will shoot more if you reload thus making you a better shot.

BCBRAD
11-22-2016, 09:43 AM
I don't think it's a waste of time for the simple reason it will give you a better understanding of what's going on, with that you will better be able to make the decision to shoot or not.

A 300 Win Mag with proper bullets will kill at distances well beyond 600 yards with a reasonably placed bullet. If you limit shots to normal hunting distances, I've kept track over the last 25 years and that distance is ~150 yards, there is no need for a 300 Mag, a 308 Win will work just fine.

So, for a 600 yard shot in the field you must practice from field positions, know the bullets trajectory,(this includes BC, velocity, wind defection), Know the distance to the target, have a scope that can be dialed in to that distance. and have complete control of your ammo, handloading can do this.

Back in the day when these things were not known, so flat shooting cartridges were very popular as most were good to 400 yards with a dead on hold (300 Weatherby).

Today with accurate chronographs, laser range finders, high BC bullets, high tech reloading practices and tools the smaller cartridges have become popular again.

Suggest along with handloading that you explore the idea of using an elevation turret, model the trajectory and velocity.

A 500-600 yard shot is doable with out to much drama.

albravo2
11-22-2016, 09:44 AM
Reloading is a great hobby but you have to shoot to justify it. Not the money you'd save, moreso the time and money you spend getting set up.

I bought an RCBS Rockchucker kit and a set of 7mm dies to get started. Now I have ten sets of dies, a shotshell press, a progressive press and I just bought an electric self-dosing powder trickler/scale.

I don't shoot as much (or probably as well) as BBD, but I really enjoy the tinkering aspect of it.

BgBlkDg
11-22-2016, 09:56 AM
Actually, I cannot shoot as I once could, but, while I detest handloading, as do some of the best shots, most experienced gun folks and successful hunters I know, I do it for the reasons Brad gives above.

With today's ammo costs, even the generic .308 and .223 stuff, unless you are a LEO or military, you will never shoot enough to be "all you can be". The time, hassle and cost IS worth it.

Backwoods
11-22-2016, 10:18 AM
Thanks guys, yah my friends are big into long range and always busting my balls that I need to reload and collect all the data etc...They are newer to hunting! over the last 20 years of hunting I have harvest game almost every year making ethical shots on bear, elk, deer and I even got a moose the last two years of pursuit of a swamp donkey! And most of that game has been put in the freezer with my very first hunting rifle handed down from an uncle which was a .303 British with an old bushnell 3x9 shooting federal blue box haha, now going on 4 years retired the 303 and bought my self a xbolt 300winn with a leupol vx3L with bNc reticle, currently shooting federal fushion 180 grain, I shoot 3-4 boxes a season, checking zeros through the season in different temps and weather, we have a range set up to 200, 400, 600 and maxed out at 760 yards, I'm making first round hits at 600yrds, so I'm more or less asking if doing reloads is going to make that much of a difference, and send my leupold out for the etched turret, 90% of game I have harvested has been 100-400 yards. There has been moments where I felt a deer or elk was too far so I try and close the gap but they have moved or I spooked them off! But that's hunting! I like elk at 50 yards screaming in my face haha

Salty
11-22-2016, 10:37 AM
I started reloading about a dozen yrs ago I don't think I could ever go back to factory ammo. Is it worth while? I think ask yourself a few basic questions first.

Do you belong to a club or otherwise have a reasonably convenient place to shoot?
Do you have a few hours a week to pry yourself from the computer or tv?
Do you have a place to set up a bench or table?
Do you like working with your hands and tinkering?

If the answers are yes or could be yes with a bit of doing being as you already have an interest because you're asking about it ;) its a no brainer do it. It will teach you a pile about your rifle and the entire process and virtually guaranteed you will make ammo that is more accurate for your rifle (s). It will encourage you to shoot a lot more and that is a really good thing as a hunter. Having just moved I still don't have my bench set up and I'm really looking forward to getting on that after hunting season. Its really nice especially in the winter to go up to the bench and play around. Keep everything organised and you can come and go its not a race, there's always something to do and you can do it in stages if you want. Resize a bunch one day, prime later, fill and seat another time. Or you can sit down and giver start to finish whatever suits you. Yeah.. gotta get a bench set up here..

swampthing
11-22-2016, 10:38 AM
Its a good hobby that ties an outdoorsman more into the way of life that we live. If I don't make my own ammo I feel incomplete. I am pretty sure you can buy loaded ammo in a store though?

Stormy
11-22-2016, 10:43 AM
I shoot unusual cartridges - so I have to reload.

Having said that - I prefer shooting reloads because you know exactly what you are going to get from each cartridge.

We had this same discussion a couple of moth's ago at a buddies house, lets just say that he has way more rifles and ammo than what's considered normal by most standards - he is a real gun nut.

anyhow we pulled out 10 boxes of factory ammo all different calibres and manufactures.

We started by weighing 10 rounds from each of the 10 boxes to find the average weight difference in the finished products, what we found was quite astonishing - (I now really understand the reasons we get the unexplainable fliers in groups of 5 shots when on the range). :-D

Its a sobering exercise to say the least.

Disclaimer - all factory ammo is not loaded equally....

Backwoods
11-22-2016, 11:23 AM
I shoot unusual cartridges - so I have to reload.

Having said that - I prefer shooting reloads because you know exactly what you are going to get from each cartridge.

We had this same discussion a couple of moth's ago at a buddies house, lets just say that he has way more rifles and ammo than what's considered normal by most standards - he is a real gun nut.

anyhow we pulled out 10 boxes of factory ammo all different calibres and manufactures.

We started by weighing 10 rounds from each of the 10 boxes to find the average weight difference in the finished products, what we found was quite astonishing - (I now really understand the reasons we get the unexplainable fliers in groups of 5 shots when on the range). :-D

Its a sobering exercise to say the least.

Disclaimer - all factory ammo is not loaded equally....
Haha yah that all makes since and sound valuable especially because I do have access and friends that are full tilt hair back gun nuts lol, Sooo I think I'm going to pick up some H-1000 powder and ELDX projectiles and give it a go!! Thank you guys, I really like to hear from the guys that do this first hand!! Cheers

Backwoods
11-22-2016, 11:30 AM
I started reloading about a dozen yrs ago I don't think I could ever go back to factory ammo. Is it worth while? I think ask yourself a few basic questions first.

Do you belong to a club or otherwise have a reasonably convenient place to shoot?
Do you have a few hours a week to pry yourself from the computer or tv?
Do you have a place to set up a bench or table?
Do you like working with your hands and tinkering?

If the answers are yes or could be yes with a bit of doing being as you already have an interest because you're asking about it ;) its a no brainer do it. It will teach you a pile about your rifle and the entire process and virtually guaranteed you will make ammo that is more accurate for your rifle (s). It will encourage you to shoot a lot more and that is a really good thing as a hunter. Having just moved I still don't have my bench set up and I'm really looking forward to getting on that after hunting season. Its really nice especially in the winter to go up to the bench and play around. Keep everything organised and you can come and go its not a race, there's always something to do and you can do it in stages if you want. Resize a bunch one day, prime later, fill and seat another time. Or you can sit down and giver start to finish whatever suits you. Yeah.. gotta get a bench set up here..
Haha Thanks Salty, I think I'm going to give it a go, it is a nice piece of mind knowing each load is consistent and your minimizing those fliers!! I do have access to everything I need including our own range at my friends farm up 760 yards, as you said it definitely will encourage shooting, and that right there makes it valuable to me!! Thank you for your input!!

11-22-2016, 11:37 AM
including our own range at my friends farm up 760 yards, \!!

that right there is the only fackin excuse you need man! get on it........
this is the most critical bit of info on this thread other then people saying you should start loading.......

Backwoods
11-22-2016, 11:51 AM
Lol I guess my long range Gun Nut Friends win this battle! Lol but when it comes to hunting I don't want to hear a peep! Lol jk

Salty
11-22-2016, 11:56 AM
Haha Thanks Salty, I think I'm going to give it a go, it is a nice piece of mind knowing each load is consistent and your minimizing those fliers!! I do have access to everything I need including our own range at my friends farm up 760 yards, as you said it definitely will encourage shooting, and that right there makes it valuable to me!! Thank you for your input!!

Nice!! It sounds like you've got experienced friends to help you and a killer range which will sure be nice. I taught myself using just manuals and of course posting a few questions here when I was new to it. There is a shit ton of knowledge here.. big time ;) I'd recommend getting or borrowing a manual with a good how-to section (they just about all have this), or look up same on line and start getting your head around it. Don't try to learn it all at once its a bit dry. lol And best to be reading/doing at about the same time.

Fisher-Dude
11-22-2016, 12:10 PM
When you punch 3 shots into the same hole at 100 yards, handloading starts to make sense.

What I like is being able to make load combos that I can't buy off the shelf in factory ammo, or if it's made in a factory offering, good luck finding it.

tinhorse
11-22-2016, 12:12 PM
I would start to reload just for the fact that ammo seems to be harder and harder to get these days. Having the ability to load up 20 rounds at any given time in the load you need and know shoots well out of your rifle is worth the money in my opinion. Just find the load your gun likes and buy a bunch of those components so you always have them on hand, and when they are half gone, buy more. Don't wait till you're completely empty. Like ammo in specific caliburs and makes, reloading components can be hard to come by at times. I do my own reloading and love the fact that I can adjust my rounds to be the most accurate possible in each of my guns. It does give confidence when shooting at an animal. Also gets you to the range more often practicing, the most important part.

BCBRAD
11-22-2016, 12:30 PM
Thanks guys, yah my friends are big into long range and always busting my balls that I need to reload and collect all the data etc...They are newer to hunting! over the last 20 years of hunting I have harvest game almost every year making ethical shots on bear, elk, deer and I even got a moose the last two years of pursuit of a swamp donkey! And most of that game has been put in the freezer with my very first hunting rifle handed down from an uncle which was a .303 British with an old bushnell 3x9 shooting federal blue box haha, now going on 4 years retired the 303 and bought my self a xbolt 300winn with a leupol vx3L with bNc reticle, currently shooting federal fushion 180 grain, I shoot 3-4 boxes a season, checking zeros through the season in different temps and weather, we have a range set up to 200, 400, 600 and maxed out at 760 yards, I'm making first round hits at 600yrds, so I'm more or less asking if doing reloads is going to make that much of a difference, and send my leupold out for the etched turret, 90% of game I have harvested has been 100-400 yards. There has been moments where I felt a deer or elk was too far so I try and close the gap but they have moved or I spooked them off! But that's hunting! I like elk at 50 yards screaming in my face haha

Sounds like you have a handle on it. Hanloading gives an opportunity for more practice testing loads and such.

The etched turret, with yardages on it, are only for one load, one brand, one lot number so it will limit you to just one so better stock up on what ever that is because next time you purchase the load will be similar but not the same.

Suggest getting an M1 or CDS dial for your Leupold. Do a Tall Target test to determine what one 'click' yields, adjust if necessary in your external ballistic program.

The M1 & CDS I have is zeroed at 219yds/200m, Taped to the stock are the come ups for 300 to 600 yards in 50 yard increments along with wind deflection at those distances for a full value 10 mph wind.

Sounds complicated but its not. Hold dead on...point and shoot to 300, adjust for distances beyond that with a range finder.

Now with handloading you can use purpose specific bullets for your cartridge and not be stuck with one.

Start at the furthest distance, say 600 yards find the actual come up and work back to your zero, a ballistic chart helps but it's best to know what it is by your own testing.

Backwoods
11-22-2016, 12:52 PM
Sounds like you have a handle on it. Hanloading gives an opportunity for more practice testing loads and such.

The etched turret, with yardages on it, are only for one load, one brand, one lot number so it will limit you to just one so better stock up on what ever that is because next time you purchase the load will be similar but not the same.

Suggest getting an M1 or CDS dial for your Leupold. Do a Tall Target test to determine what one 'click' yields, adjust if necessary in your external ballistic program.

The M1 & CDS I have is zeroed at 219yds/200m, Taped to the stock are the come ups for 300 to 600 yards in 50 yard increments along with wind deflection at those distances for a full value 10 mph wind.

Sounds complicated but its not. Hold dead on...point and shoot to 300, adjust for distances beyond that with a range finder.

Now with handloading you can use purpose specific bullets for your cartridge and not be stuck with one.

Start at the furthest distance, say 600 yards find the actual come up and work back to your zero, a ballistic chart helps but it's best to know what it is by your own testing.
This is all great info Brad!! Thanks man!

dino
11-22-2016, 01:51 PM
Don't forget about the $ 1000.00+ rangefinder your going to need.

todbartell
11-22-2016, 01:52 PM
there's lots of good rangefinders on the market in the $400-700 range

.264winmag
11-22-2016, 02:11 PM
I will pitch in my 2 cents on rangefinders, from experience. Most that advertise 1000yd capable are only good out that far in perfect conditions on very large reflective surfaces, let alone small bushes, trees and anything nearby target. They will often only be good at best on deer sized targets out to half their max advertised distance. They also have trouble ranging anything if there's snow on the ground, even trying to range a haybale in a field scenario etc. It's an intricate part of shooting at distance, the cheapest option that won't hamper progress is the Leica 1600b, I'm sure there's others but it works well beyond its advertised capabilities. Whatever you choose make sure it has true horizontal range.

You are doing well out to 600yds, should be able to double that with handloads. Then all of a sudden 600 is not such a big deal. It's fun, I highly recommend it.

Sambor
11-22-2016, 02:12 PM
I have started reloading for following reasons:
1. I shoot a lot (>2000 rounds per year)
2. I like shooting and reloading is a continuation of it (very relaxing and good for evenings when it is -30C or below)
3. I can make a premium cartridges for less (I like copper Barnes TSX bullets)
4. I can make ammo for calibers not very common in this part of the world (for example 9.3x62mm Mauser)

BCBRAD
11-22-2016, 04:29 PM

Or you could do it 'old skool' with a mil-dot master and a fixed 6x or 10x with a mil-dot reticle.

http://www.mildot.com/

hunter1947
11-22-2016, 04:52 PM
Reloading is the way to go I reload my bullets very happy with my grouping one thing you have to have for long disstence shooting is a scope to shoot long distance like
a leopol 4x14 scope or other ..

Being a young person in age is a bonus you have many years to load up different rounds ,,all and all if you have the money go for it you won't be sorry will pay for itself
over the years..

Jagermeister
11-22-2016, 05:14 PM
My reloading experience is about 10 years shy of BlkDg.
Reloading gives a sense of accomplishment and confidence. When you can shoot a target like this, which has six shots by the quarter, you have to be doing something right.
This target was shot at 100 meters with 9.3X62 handloads. The bottom two shots were taken prior to the 6 shot group and were for zeroing the scope. The grid is on ½" squares.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/misc_010a.JPG

Sambor
11-22-2016, 05:26 PM
This target was shot at 100 meters with 9.3X62 handloads. The bottom two shots were taken prior to the 6 shot group and were for zeroing the scope. The grid is on ½" squares.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/misc_010a.JPG

Hi Master Hunter, I thought I was quite alone with 9.3x62mm in this part of the world. Great to hear there is someone else on this forum with this great caliber. What bullets do you shoot? I am working up a load with 286gr Barnes TSX. What do you shoot? I have CZ Medium Lux 550. This is my bush gun :)

I got roughly 1in groups, but my scope is 1-4x24mm.

BCBRAD
11-22-2016, 05:36 PM
Nice shooting Jager, nice when it all comes together!

tinhorse
11-22-2016, 05:37 PM
I just bought a nikon 700i for 319+tax then $40 mail in rebate. will read out to 800 yards on deer. Far enough....

Jagermeister
11-22-2016, 07:17 PM
Hi Master Hunter, I thought I was quite alone with 9.3x62mm in this part of the world. Great to hear there is someone else on this forum with this great caliber. What bullets do you shoot? I am working up a load with 286gr Barnes TSX. What do you shoot? I have CZ Medium Lux 550. This is my bush gun :)

I got roughly 1in groups, but my scope is 1-4x24mm.There are a few of us on here with 9.3x62mm.
I like your choice of firearm, I have a 300WM in the same rifle.
However, my 9.3x62mm is a custom from RWS on a FN action, not that it makes a difference. Scoped with a 2-7X34 Redfield Tracker that is nearly as old as the rifle.
The bullet in this case is a Norma Vulkan 232 gr. pushed by 56grs of Reloader 15. I have not achieved that accuracy on any other .366 gr. bullets available to me as yet.

.264winmag
11-22-2016, 10:13 PM
I just bought a nikon 700i for 319+tax then $40 mail in rebate. will read out to 800 yards on deer. Far enough....

This the model?

http://www.snipercentral.com/nikon-prostaff-7i-laser-rangefinder/

albravo2
11-22-2016, 10:21 PM

I got roughly 1in groups, but my scope is 1-4x24mm.

Sambor,

There is an awesome 9.3x62 thread on here somewhere. Gun porn. It gave me the bug and I bought one this year.

I've heard they are easy to load for but I'm having a lot of trouble with mine. I have a couple more possible solutions to check before I come back to this group for help.

BCBRAD
11-22-2016, 10:33 PM
Sambor,

There is an awesome 9.3x62 thread on here somewhere. Gun porn. It gave me the bug and I bought one this year.

I've heard they are easy to load for but I'm having a lot of trouble with mine. I have a couple more possible solutions to check before I come back to this group for help.

Try some Ramshot Big Game, I got a few lbs from T Bartell, he may have more. Best powder I have found, expect 2500+ ft/s with 286's

Backwoods
11-22-2016, 10:36 PM
Reloading is the way to go I reload my bullets very happy with my grouping one thing you have to have for long disstence shooting is a scope to shoot long distance like
a leopol 4x14 scope or other ..

Being a young person in age is a bonus you have many years to load up different rounds ,,all and all if you have the money go for it you won't be sorry will pay for itself
over the years..
I'll definitely give it a go, good inspiration to hear it from all you guys, thanks for the feed back this is all motivation!

hoochie
11-22-2016, 10:42 PM
, I've spoke to a few people about it and it seems more people are telling me it's a waist of time for what I'm going to get out of it.

After I began reloading, the first clover leaf I shot was the most rewarding thing I had done in a long time. For someone to tell you its a waste of time?? Non sense in my opinion. I scoff at people who talk of factory ammunition and havent shot factory stuff in 12 years or so.
look at the price of ammo... how much is a box of 300Win? $80?
10 boxes of ammo.. youve bought yourself one hell of a nice reloading set up, and now you are doing it for a fraction of the price, cause your equipment has paid for itself.

adriaticum
11-23-2016, 12:00 AM
Definitely worth it.
Save money, have options and never show up at a store that just ran out of ammo you need. Go fer it.

Jagermeister
11-23-2016, 03:26 AM
Sometimes components can be as scarce as hen's teeth especially brass and powder

RiverOtter
11-23-2016, 05:55 AM
Sometimes components can be as scarce as hen's teeth especially brass and powder
Thats where hoarding comes into effect.

It's not like buying a certain "LOT" of ammo, finding out your rifle likes it, then going back to the store hoping there is more. Or finding out your rifle hates it and then wondering what to do with the last dozen rounds....

dino
11-23-2016, 09:49 AM

Most rangefinders are tested under perfect conditions. An 800 m range finder is good for maybe 400 in average bc conditions. My Leica 1600 is only good for about a thousand. A good rangefinder is a very important tool that should be high quality.

sawmill
11-23-2016, 10:09 AM
I don`t reload, I shoot a nice Brno 30.06, good quality factory shells work just fine and you can buy them anywhere.. Of course I don`t take 7oo yard shots either. 2 deer this year,2 shells, same as last year, the year before, the year before.....14 years worth so far. And 1 moose and 4 elk, all one shot. I don`t take stupid shots though, helps a lot.

338win mag
11-23-2016, 11:03 AM
You have to be a shooter to really justify saving money, its expensive to get set up properly to just one shot kill everything.
The real benefit to handloading is the enjoyment of the hobby and mostly to... develop precision ammo tailored for that particular rifle,,,, or maybe handloading cast or jacketed bullets which are otherwise unavailable at retail outlets.

MOWITCH SLAYER
11-23-2016, 12:02 PM
Ive been hand loading for over thirty years ! I also shot seven different calibers ! Does hand loading improve the accuracy of the gun ? Yes if done right. Every rifle has a load that fits like a glove. The trick is to find that load ! You have to start at the bottom of your charts and work up .Then there is the different brands and types of powder and bullets . A hand loader can make a cartridge that fits his gun that you just can't buy over the counter. Then there is the cost . One of the calibers i own is 300 win mag, i load for $19:00 a box. show me factory shells for that !Then there is the final moment when i'm standing over that animal knowing i did it all myself ,even the bullets. Hand loading is not for everyone , You have to be precise in your loads,and safety with storage and handling is crucial. If your interested in hand loading take a course, or at least read a book before you start laying out cash for a press ,lath and scale . Because they are not cheap !