PDA

View Full Version : Too old for archery?

Tunch
11-22-2016, 02:26 AM
Hey all. I am looking for a new hobby to take up. Ice Hockey used to be my thing but after a serious ankle injury my days on the ice are now a thing of the past. For obvious reasons I am interested in in non-impact sports which is why I am considering archery. I have always been interested in it as my cousin has been involved for years and we have often talked about together at family get togethers. I have never had time in the past to get involved unfortunately due to my hockey involvement but fate has played it's hand and as one door closes another one opens. Now I should add that I am nearing 40 but I'm hoping and assuming that age isn't a barrier to entering this sport on an amateur level. What are others thoughts on this? Am I right in my assumption? I've been having a look around at archery longbows for sale online as I think that is definitely the type of bow that would most interest me. It has a certain romance about it (don't laugh!) Anyway, I thought I'd just put my thoughts out there. If anybody has any pointers or advice they'd like to share i'd love to hear them. Thanks in advance.

greybark
11-22-2016, 08:54 AM
Good morning Tunch, age is certainly not a barrier , I know of two in their 80`s longbow men and one is boyer . A visit to a local club or store will establish a good learning draw weigh (30-40 lbs) and a selection of used bows . New Samiks are reasonly priced and approach quality bow specs .
Attend 3-d events for an exposure to whats out there . Abby Indoor has everything .
Most important , menter up , stick to basics , emulate good archers and practice . A 10-15 yd range in garage or hallway is priceless
Would like to post more but this 77 year old is busy packing up for archery hunt , leaving in the morn for Rock Ck .
One last thing, A mixture of seriousness and enjoyment is the recipe for advancing your skills .
Cheers and good luck with your "Longbow " adventure .

Bonz
11-22-2016, 08:58 AM
i didnt start till almost 50.

scottym
11-22-2016, 11:04 AM
I started in my 60s . I started with a recurve and now shooting a compound .
my advice is try different bows before deciding on one type ,it can be expensive .

The Hermit
11-22-2016, 01:04 PM
Started in my 50's now 64... One piece of advise I have to offer is to start out with a low draw weight. Regardless of age all new archers need to slowly build up back muscles. You might consider buying a used and less expensive bow in the 20 - 30 pound draw weight then move up to a better new bow as you gain comfort and confidence. You can always sell off the first bow and get back most of what you paid for it.

I'd also highly recommend joining the BC Archery Association and taking some beginner lessons!

Great hobby!

OutsyderBC
11-22-2016, 08:19 PM
40? Really, you should give it all up and just play dominos and complain about how good things used to be!:twisted:

It's no age, lots of different archery disciplines to dabble in and enjoy.

To echo what Mr Hermit said, get lessons, join a club and meet archers, (ironically) the internet is not really the place to get solid advice as you have to get through the chaff and find who actually know what they are talking about (I can personally vouch for Mr Greybark, we have filled the air with much bullshit together at shoots!) but you know what I'm trying to say…… but especially important if traditional is your fancy, lots of good 'uns about this province to help you out but my number one recommendation would try and get some quality mentorship (and join a club, help keep fresh blood coming in)

Tunch
11-22-2016, 09:20 PM
Thanks for all the warm words of encouragement folks. They have definitely helped put any doubts I had to rest. And I'll be taking all your advice into account.

One piece of advise I have to offer is to start out with a low draw weight. Regardless of age all new archers need to slowly build up back muscles. You might consider buying a used and less expensive bow in the 20 - 30 pound draw weight then move up to a better new bow as you gain comfort and confidence. You can always sell off the first bow and get back most of what you paid for it.

Particularly good advice.Thanks Hermit.

Jagermeister
11-23-2016, 03:15 AM
Never mind lessons. Just turn up to a place that archers attend
and express an interest. You will get enough advise for free and probably a few offers of bows to boot. If you're close to Kamloops check out the KTSA website for a place to shoot

Piperdown
11-23-2016, 08:37 AM
Shit i wish i was 40 again :)

RoscoeP
11-23-2016, 08:51 AM
I am 68 and shoot 3-D every chance I get, I have 2 longbows and an ILF recurve bow at the moment, down from about 8 a year ago. It is a great sport, get out there and enjoy it. Don't over bow yourself. get a bow you can dominate and learn good form. Cheers Roscoe

finaddict
11-23-2016, 09:37 AM
Shit i wish i was 40 again :)Few more years and you can be 40 twice......;-)

Downtown
11-23-2016, 10:24 AM
Are you kidding, 40 is the new 20, what's holding you back ?

Cheers

okas
11-23-2016, 08:56 PM
so much fun as small game and a old stick bow rabbits and grouse never too old to try anything whoo ahhhh

Tunch
11-25-2016, 11:57 PM
Hey all. I am looking for a new hobby to take up. Ice Hockey used to be my thing but after a serious ankle injury my days on the ice are now a thing of the past. For obvious reasons I am interested in in non-impact sports which is why I am considering archery. I have always been interested in it as my cousin has been involved for years and we have often talked about together at family get togethers. I have never had time in the past to get involved unfortunately due to my hockey involvement but fate has played it's hand and as one door closes another one opens. Now I should add that I am nearing 40 but I'm hoping and assuming that age isn't a barrier to entering this sport on an amateur level. What are others thoughts on this? Am I right in my assumption? I've been having a look around at archery bows for sale online (http://www.canada.for-sale.com/archery-bow) as I think that is definitely the type of bow that would most interest me. It has a certain romance about it (don't laugh!) Anyway, I thought I'd just put my thoughts out there. If anybody has any pointers or advice they'd like to share i'd love to hear them. Thanks in advance.

Quick question guys. I found this longbow for sale online. It is bespoke and made of hickory. I would love to own and use something of this elk, but is it advisable as a beginner to start out with a bow like this? Or would it be more suited to a more experienced user?

https://img0.etsystatic.com/027/0/7993349/il_570xN.613694004_nxyu.jpg

Jagermeister
11-26-2016, 01:32 AM
You will certainly gain a lot of knowledge using that bow. If I said brace height, finger tab, bow square would you know what I mean? You will if you buy that bow. The trads like bows like that, most of us have moved on to modern contraptions.

finaddict
11-26-2016, 08:57 AM
never too old to try anything whoo ahhhhUnless its 24 hour ironman multiple marathons competitions against 20 year olds.......

RoscoeP
11-26-2016, 09:02 AM
A lot of the old D shaped long bows have a certain amount of hand shock when you shoot them. I would get one that has more reflex/deflex design, they shoot much better and with more zip.

OutsyderBC
11-26-2016, 09:46 AM
Quick question guys. I found this longbow for sale online. It is bespoke and made of hickory. I would love to own and use something of this elk, but is it advisable as a beginner to start out with a bow like this? Or would it be more suited to a more experienced user?

https://img0.etsystatic.com/027/0/7993349/il_570xN.613694004_nxyu.jpg

In my humble opinion…...

You should try and get to a club or a REPUTABLE store with some knowledge and willingness to support traditional archery. If you can't do that, call Lancaster archery stateside, whilst not ideal and not supporting local, they do fine work supporting the sport and have that reputation to uphold!

Buying something like this online and you good be getting utter shite that shoots horribly and will likely have way too much weight and too short a life with zero flexibility.

Sorry to sound like a stuck record but get out there and find and meet archers, join a club and shoot their bows, go along to a shoot and mingle (archers are not usually anything but welcoming) the learning curve will be way easier and you'll do far better, quicker

Consider a cheaper recurve at the beginning with options of extra limbs for working up in weight, getting over bowed from the get go is very bad, technique (form) is everything.

IF - you are dead set on a bow like this, contact Jamie at Ravenbeak and do his course and make your own otherwise I would be nervous about shoot one of these.

Little story for you about self bows…..

There is a guy here in BC, an older gentleman whom I always like to see out and he is a wicked shot, well this year at the TBBC, he was shooting a self bow (scored 365 on the first day too!) and he was shooting his fourth choice as his previous 3 had broken on him in the weeks leading up to it.

Pretty sure he made his own so no great shakes but still…….. that's how easily you could end up bow less!

Tunch
11-27-2016, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. You're totally right in saying that I would be best served to get myself along to a club. I'll look into that this week.

OutsyderBC
11-27-2016, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. You're totally right in saying that I would be best served to get myself along to a club. I'll look into that this week.

Whereabouts are you?

smilasin
12-05-2016, 02:13 PM
i didnt start till almost 50.

same here,just had my first archery lesson last weekend :D

greybark
12-06-2016, 11:33 PM
Attend the Abbotsford In door 3-D event mid Jan . Much to observe and learn , look me up if you wish .
Cheers

Riverbc
12-11-2016, 12:36 PM
Attend the Abbotsford In door 3-D event mid Jan . Much to observe and learn , look me up if you wish .
Cheers
Just look for one of the many geezers there!:)