PDA

View Full Version : Backpack Hunting Training in Langley

morphiend
11-21-2016, 10:30 PM
I'm looking for somewhere in Langley that has Stadium style stairs to training for backpack hunting. My wife gets super stressed out when I go hiking at night on my training trail. Anyone one know of any good training stairs in Walnut Grove, Langley or Cloverdale area?

Red_Mist
11-21-2016, 11:06 PM
McLeod Athletic park

Steeleco
11-21-2016, 11:08 PM
Can't think of a set stairs, but there is a circular walkway that is the pedestrian approach to the Golden ears bridge. Pretty steep IIRC

markathome
11-21-2016, 11:26 PM
I'm out with my head lamp 2-3 nights a week during the winter either running or skiing - only time my wife is nervous is when I'm out for longer than I said I would be. But a text takes care of that.

What's your wife specifically afraid of? Do you live/train somewhere that can be perceived as dangerous?

ducktoller
11-21-2016, 11:31 PM
Mcleod or you can run the stairs on the east side of the lec over and over

mastercaster
11-21-2016, 11:43 PM
Guys use good head lamps that seem to light up the entire forest all the time for mountain biking, hiking, snow shoeing, etc. in the dark. It's a nice peaceful time to be out. If you want a good hour and a half (maybe less depending on the weight of your pack) workout with a pack on the Abby Grind would be good. Find a buddy to go with if your wife is worried, albeit all the hiking areas around here have cell service.

ajr5406
11-22-2016, 07:20 AM
Hike the 176St hill up to the freeway, its 10% gradient? I ride that hill as part of my cycling loop and its a nice little workout. Probably more likely to get hit by a car than whatever your wife is worried about though...

blaine
11-22-2016, 07:34 AM
Its a little farther for you but the stairs at Fred Gingell park are like the mini Grouse grind with a pack on

morphiend
11-22-2016, 07:55 AM
Thanks everyone.
Red-mist- McLeod is a good point. Had not thought of that.

Steelco- I went checked out the Golden Ears ramps cause they are close to my house last night. Not as steep as I remembered it being but I'm going to try it with extra weight this week.

Markathome- the place I normally run or hike to train is Houston Trail. Not dangerous at all. My wife is a worrier, rarely is it rationale. I try to minimize her worrying when I'm not hunting, cause as you can imagine she gets really worried when I'm hunting.

Ducktoller- what is lec?

mastercaster- I didn't know there was a Abby Grind. Thanks

arj5406 - I used to run the 176 hill for training. Agree that's an ass kicker of a hill.

blaine - you're right probably a bit far for what I'm looking for but those stairs look epic!

bigredchev
11-22-2016, 08:08 AM
Tried Campbell Valley?

BgBlkDg
11-22-2016, 08:25 AM
I have not used the Abby Grind trail, but, that would be my first choice for mountain hunting training as it gives you the actual "ankle twisting" natural soil conditions that stadium steps do not. This, is more important in serious mountain training than may be initially apparent.

If, you are willing to drive to Abby, I use the Rotary Stadium track/steps and this is excellent as it has toilets and water available which is very nice when stressing your body away from home.

I have also found everyone there extremely nice and friendly and one can do any level of workout he desires.

mastercaster
11-22-2016, 08:34 AM
Thanks everyone.

mastercaster- I didn't know there was a Abby Grind. Thanks

Just beyond Watcom Rd. exit passed the little rifle range there. I did once this summer but the path gets very dusty after several weeks without rain. You would't have to worry about that now. Without a pack you can hoof up it in about 30 -35 minutes depending on your fitness.

BTW, if you ever decide to go out to Grouse Mtn. to hike,,,,,,DON"T do the Grind,,,,,,it's boring and busy as hell. Do the BCMC trail that's right beside it or better yet, the Flint and Feather which is kind of hidden between the two of those trails. There's some scrambling on that one, nothing dangerous. It's the one my buddy and I do most often and you'll be lucky to see another person on it. If you like doing the decent for training, as well, you can always hike back down the BCMC. It's allowed, whereas it's not on the Grind. Wearing a heavy back pack on any of those three hills is tough but since snow is just around the corner that area might not be an option in another couple of weeks. It would have to be more of a weekend foray for you as opposed to just popping out at night after work for a close by trek.

GrandA
11-22-2016, 08:45 AM
Walnut Grove rec centre has stairs outside on south east corner and LSS stadium. GL training!

morphiend
11-22-2016, 10:37 AM
I have done Campbell Valley. Run there a fair bit but same issue for the wife.

IPA
11-22-2016, 11:23 AM
LEC is the langley events center. They will let people in the walk the upper concourse as well as runn the stairs inside. Wife and her friends do it while the kids are at lacrosse practice.

Arctic Lake
11-22-2016, 06:02 PM
Just beyond Watcom Rd. exit passed the little rifle range there. I did once this summer but the path gets very dusty after several weeks without rain. You would't have to worry about that now. Without a pack you can hoof up it in about 30 -35 minutes depending on your fitness.

BTW, if you ever decide to go out to Grouse Mtn. to hike,,,,,,DON"T do the Grind,,,,,,it's boring and busy as hell. Do the BCMC trail that's right beside it or better yet, the Flint and Feather which is kind of hidden between the two of those trails. There's some scrambling on that one, nothing dangerous. It's the one my buddy and I do most often and you'll be lucky to see another person on it. If you like doing the decent for training, as well, you can always hike back down the BCMC. It's allowed, whereas it's not on the Grind. Wearing a heavy back pack on any of those three hills is tough but since snow is just around the corner that area might not be an option in another couple of weeks. It would have to be more of a weekend foray for you as opposed to just popping out at night after work for a close by trek.

BCMC Great trail for a workout, lot's of roots, rocks etc. Just like the real outdoors ! Oh it is the outdoors, LOL !

Arctic Lake

wideopenthrottle
11-23-2016, 01:08 PM
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/world/using-only-his-hands-and-feet-czech-sets-record-for-free-climbing-nearly-3000-feet-up-famed-el-capitan

this guy is training for some goat hunting

morphiend
11-23-2016, 01:27 PM
That is nuts. There is a great documentary on Netflix about these climbs called Valley Uprising. Well worth the watch.

ajr5406
11-23-2016, 05:22 PM
That is nuts. There is a great documentary on Netflix about these climbs called Valley Uprising. Well worth the watch.

Agreed. That's a really cool doco

Timberjack
11-23-2016, 09:02 PM
I'm looking for somewhere in Langley that has Stadium style stairs to training for backpack hunting. My wife gets super stressed out when I go hiking at night on my training trail. Anyone one know of any good training stairs in Walnut Grove, Langley or Cloverdale area?

Hey morphiend. The first step is just getting out regularly. Second step is putting miles on with weight. For my last sheep hunt I walked 3km to work morning and then back again in the evening with 60 lbs on my back for a few months. It was flat and got me I'd say 80% of the way to sheep shape. 3rd step is getting some vertical in the two months prior to your trip. It won't take long to get the legs ready for the ups and downs provided you've been successful with the first two steps..

One last tip. When you do get into some serious training for vertical ie grouse grind or better, pack large amounts of water uphill, dump it out at the top to save your knees on the way down. Plus water isn't all that different than meat in a pack, and it's nice and heavy..

Good luck!
TJ

mastercaster
11-25-2016, 05:58 AM
^^^^^Great tips!