PDA

View Full Version : First time Caribou

bigneily
11-21-2016, 06:26 PM
Just had to say that I finished up on the end of the Barbie and did some Caribou steaks that a buddy gave to me from a bull he took on a fly in hunt in Northern BC this fall , I was unsure if it was going to be a hit with the family since I thought it had a strong gamey smell to the uncooked meat . I did them plain with just some pepper and garlic powder along with a touch of seasoning salt , I wanted to experience it how it is without masking the flavor with a marinade and such . It went over quite well , So much that my wife and daughter preferred it over the moose steaks that I did alongside . Gonna have to try to arrange a bou hunt of my own in the future .

boxhitch
11-21-2016, 06:34 PM
August bull is the best meat out there imo, better than sheep or elk.

bigneily
11-21-2016, 06:39 PM
August bull is the best meat out there imo, better than sheep or elk.

Good to know thanks .

11-21-2016, 06:53 PM
Great to hear Bignelly.

Ive only harvested 1 Bull, not huge but respectable and as said my first. It was early Sept. He had lost all velvet but didn't have that wonderful flowing white Cape, none the less, he was the only legal Bull we saw. It was clearly not rutting, and was not stinky at all. It taste TERRIFIC ! Other then that ....... I have many a friend that just can't stomach a good Bull in rut, even buddies Dog turned away.

SR80
11-22-2016, 07:37 AM
I shot a caribou bull early sept and its the best meat ive had..still havent tried stone sheep though.

decker9
11-22-2016, 08:20 AM
I'd have to agree, august caribou is one of my top picks. But like SR, iv yet to try sheep.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6105&stc=1