PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth scouting

smallfry14
11-21-2016, 01:16 PM
Heading out of region this week and only have a couple days to hunt. Curious as to what you guys think of this spot:
http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s483/smallfry14/image_zpsqixk7k1r.jpeg (http://s1054.photobucket.com/user/smallfry14/media/image_zpsqixk7k1r.jpeg.html)

Road looks deactivated, so hunting pressure should be lower than blocks with access. It's a few yrs old so there's good feed, there are some rock bluffs, patches of timber to hole up in, etc. It looks good to me, unless there is something I'm missing. I'm curious as to what other google earth scouters look for when trying to find new spots?

.264winmag
11-21-2016, 01:33 PM
Targeting?
Without knowing any specifics regarding the hunt, looks like a nice spot to spend a day!

adriaticum
11-21-2016, 01:34 PM
Don't google earth scout.
The word "scouting" implies footwork.

11-21-2016, 01:42 PM
nice looking tree line bluff patch to hike in the top left.

tinhorse
11-21-2016, 01:43 PM
Looks good. Use the high vantage points and glass. walk the timber in the daylight hours if walkable and hope there is a healthy deer population in the area with some good 4 point genetics. All in all without stepping foot in the woods it is as good of spot as any.

11-21-2016, 01:43 PM
Google earth scouting is a huge part of scouting... it just cant be the only part...... I google all the time, to find places that look good to look in... hell its what keeps me alive in the off season.

Xenomorph
11-21-2016, 01:48 PM
I like this, plenty to walk through and keep you occupied, plus an awesome wide angle space to cover glassing. Definitely got potential, now the question is how's the regrowth. You'll answer that once you walk into it.

http://i67.tinypic.com/2drdn9f.jpg

BigBanger
11-21-2016, 01:59 PM
I am also interested in seeing what other guys look for on google earth. I have looked at the area that I hunt (produces every year) and don't understand what sets this area apart from the rest.

smallfry14
11-21-2016, 02:00 PM
Targeting?
Without knowing any specifics regarding the hunt, looks like a nice spot to spend a day! Lookin for a 4pt mulie. I was thinking the same thing!

Google earth scouting is a huge part of scouting... it just cant be the only part...... I google all the time, to find places that look good to look in... hell its what keeps me alive in the off season.
Me too, very handy tool. I print off screenshots as well to use as maps when actually checking out the area.

Looks good. Use the high vantage points and glass. walk the timber in the daylight hours if walkable and hope there is a healthy deer population in the area with some good 4 point genetics. All in all without stepping foot in the woods it is as good of spot as any.

I like this, plenty to walk through and keep you occupied, plus an awesome wide angle space to cover glassing. Definitely got potential, now the question is how's the regrowth. You'll answer that once you walk into it.

My thoughts exactly as well. Looks like I have the right idea

smallfry14
11-21-2016, 02:02 PM
I am also interested in seeing what other guys look for on google earth. I have looked at the area that I hunt (produces every year) and don't understand what sets this area apart from the rest. You and both! I've taken 2 bucks, and know of at least 7+ bucks that have come out of a certain area last year and this year. But when I look at it on google earth, I kinda think WTF...it looks not much different than an area a couple km away that has much less activity. All I know is that deer winter there, but not sure why.

adriaticum
11-21-2016, 02:27 PM
This is what I look for from google earth.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Image191.jpg

Fella
11-21-2016, 02:28 PM
Don't google earth scout.
The word "scouting" implies footwork.
Mr. Sunshine everyone!

IronNoggin
11-21-2016, 02:33 PM
Mr. Sunshine everyone!

http://forum.flybc.ca/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

adriaticum
11-21-2016, 02:43 PM
Mr. Sunshine everyone!

I have no idea what that is, but I'll take Noggin's word for it.

http://forum.flybc.ca/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Bonz
11-21-2016, 02:57 PM
for me i look for terrain levels, steepness. and drainages, funnles, pinch points....area that pushes them to converge to get through an area or over somthing
i do look for the cuts but i know their usualy not like that once im in there.

skibum
11-21-2016, 03:09 PM
1) If that is replant - I would say that the cut blocks are full of trees 10 feet high by now.
2) I would guess that quads use that terrain even if it is deactivated.
3) Not saying I would not check the area out, just not put my few days of hunting hopes on it for late season. Would definitely check it out in the summer.

hopefully it works out for you.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-21-2016, 03:31 PM
The best hunters that I know spend a pile of time 'scouting' on Google Earth'.

SSS

adriaticum
11-21-2016, 03:34 PM
The best hunters that I know spend a pile of time 'scouting' on Google Earth'.

SSS

"scouting", but is that really scouting, or just mapping out?

.264winmag
11-21-2016, 03:43 PM

Just curious how many tags you've cut? With 8500 posts you must have some 'scouting' tricks up your sleeve, maybe you could share with us rookies?
Love flying around back rds maps and google earth.

11-21-2016, 03:46 PM

lol......
you knew exactly what he meant when he posted ..... this is just a wee bit nit picky you think? or maybe we should try to see weather its called a "Clip" or a "magazine"

adriaticum
11-21-2016, 03:51 PM
Just curious how many tags you've cut? With 8500 posts you must have some 'scouting' tricks up your sleeve, maybe you could share with us rookies?
Love flying around back rds maps and google earth.

I've cut 1 tag, which has nothing to do with my experience with google earth.
If looking at 10 year old pictures gives you satisfaction that you know the terrain, power to you.

Even with my old google earth subscription the pictures are old.

Do you want me to tell you also how many days I have wasted because I "scouted" on google earth and then found a completely different picture on location.
Impassable thick bush that even wind doesn't move through.
A few.

Maybe it's just the terminology.
Scouting means seeing something first hand.

adriaticum
11-21-2016, 03:53 PM
lol......
you knew exactly what he meant when he posted ..... this is just a wee bit nit picky you think? or maybe we should try to see weather its called a "Clip" or a "magazine"

You got it.
Maybe these flatland guys can actually scout on google earth.
But coastal mountains don't make it possible.
I do envy them.

.264winmag
11-21-2016, 04:01 PM
If looking at 10 year old pictures gives you satisfaction that you know the terrain, power to you.

Do you want me to tell you also how many days I have wasted because I "scouted" on google earth and then found a completely different picture on location.
A few.

Maybe you should try google earth again. It will tell you when pictures were taken, a little bit of math and comparing similar age regrowth in similar area/elevation can save a pile of gas n time. Anything in the old growth, sub alpine and alpine elevation doesn't change all that much in my experience. If that's not useful information I dunno?
As the ole man said, 'it ain't rocket surgery'.

adriaticum
11-21-2016, 04:14 PM
Maybe you should try google earth again. It will tell you when pictures were taken, a little bit of math and comparing similar age regrowth in similar area/elevation can save a pile of gas n time. Anything in the old growth, sub alpine and alpine elevation doesn't change all that much in my experience. If that's not useful information I dunno?
As the ole man said, 'it ain't rocket surgery'.

Don't get me wrong, I use google earth a lot.

.264winmag
11-21-2016, 04:36 PM
I know one thing for sure, I'd give up HBC for GE any day...

adriaticum
11-21-2016, 04:38 PM
I know one thing for sure, I'd give up HBC for GE any day...

You're free to make that mistake ;)

stevo911_
11-21-2016, 05:17 PM

A few.

If you're using google earth though you can figure out areas not to focus on because they're too steep/flat whatever, being able to eliminate areas from your search, find funnels you wouldnt necessarily spot is just as valuable, especially if you have limited time/gas/whatever. The more information to make decisions with the better.

.308SLAYER
11-21-2016, 05:43 PM
Nothing wrong with getting familiar with an area via Google Earth I do it all the time then when I go pound ground I have a general idea on where that "secret wallow" or "secret meadow" is Def don't rely on it but very useful as a reference I'll take pics on my phone even do give me a general idea of the landscape draws valleys....as above stated alot can change from Google earth images to what it actually looks like now. This year I scouted out what looked like.some good elk country only to find the entire area had been logged in the last few years. I personally like Google Earth but the footwork must follow

BigBanger
11-21-2016, 06:11 PM
Let's get this thread back on track. I see lots of you successful hunters that have cut more then one tag use Google earth to help you scout an area. What should a guy look for? Valleys? Draws? Water sources? Tree lines? Certain elevation? I would really appreciate some tips on how to determine if a area is worth a look on foot.

IronNoggin
11-21-2016, 08:03 PM
I've cut 1 tag, which has nothing to do with my experience...

LOL! Would make someone a great signature line... :lol:

S'cuse the small hi-jack.

And yeah, I use Google Earth all the bloody time.
It is often a very good indicator of what you can expect, especially once you understand how and what changes may occur over time.
Ground Proofing ALWAYS required.

Perhaps one of these years we'll have access to Instant GE. Until then, it is still a very useful item in the tool box.

Cheers,
Nog

scoutlt1
11-21-2016, 08:12 PM
HEY!!!! Don't anyone on here be goin' making fun of my username!!! :)

adriaticum
11-21-2016, 08:30 PM
LOL! Would make someone a great signature line... :lol:

S'cuse the small hi-jack.

And yeah, I use Google Earth all the bloody time.
It is often a very good indicator of what you can expect, especially once you understand how and what changes may occur over time.
Ground Proofing ALWAYS required.

Perhaps one of these years we'll have access to Instant GE. Until then, it is still a very useful item in the tool box.

Cheers,
Nog

You have my blessing to use it

.264winmag
11-21-2016, 08:38 PM
You're free to make that mistake ;)

You talk of all the wasted days driving around from google earth? You have 8500 posts and one cut tag. I don't even know what to say to that, honestly it's completely insane.

On google I like to look for sources of food, shelter, water and sunshine or lack of. Pretty much the things that all mammals like to have. I also look for lack of vehicle access and start there.

11-21-2016, 08:50 PM
Please for mercies sake, a profile like you just has to have cut more than one tag!!

adriaticum
11-21-2016, 08:51 PM
You talk of all the wasted days driving around from google earth? You have 8500 posts and one cut tag. I don't even know what to say to that, honestly it's completely insane.

On google I like to look for sources of food, shelter, water and sunshine or lack of. Pretty much the things that all mammals like to have. I also look for lack of vehicle access and start there.

My point was, you will learn a lot more from people on HBC and by meeting them, than from google earth.
You just didn't get it.

8500 posts for me is nothing considering that I spend half of my life on the computer professionally and type very fast.
I could do more.
But who's really counting.

HarryToolips
11-21-2016, 08:55 PM

Same here...a lot of time in my hikes or travels I will stumble across an area, it may tweek my interest, and I will further scout the surrounding area on GE, to see if it satisfies the above requirements..

smallfry14
11-21-2016, 09:29 PM
for me i look for terrain levels, steepness. and drainages, funnles, pinch points....area that pushes them to converge to get through an area or over somthing
i do look for the cuts but i know their usualy not like that once im in there.
I see people saying they look for these things a lot, but I don't know how to identify one of them. Can someone post an example of one of these funnles or pinch points? Right now I just look at elevation,clearings,bedding/feeding areas, etc. And about the regrowth, it says on the bottom left when the imagery was taken. Some simple math along with the elevation, and north/south slope etc gives you an idea of how much it should have grown by the time you're heading there.

Salty
11-21-2016, 09:32 PM
My point was, you will learn a lot more from people on HBC and by meeting them, than from google earth.

And his point was he thinks you're wrong WTF argue about it? He and others here that have a lot of actual hunting experience not just HBC experience like google earth and you're trying to tell them they're wasting their time. Do you not see how ridiculous that is? Let it be FFS.

dustybeat
11-21-2016, 10:54 PM
I like to use Google maps before and after I check out an area usually the latter. Brmb is usally my go to for pre scout to look at terrain. Usually I look for valley bottoms that could possibly be a high traffic area between different ranges.
Imapbc allows you to add and remove layers.
Current in use cutblocks, old cutblocks. My favorite is the ungulate protected winter range layer it makes for a decent starting point.
I have cut zero tags, but hey whos counting :,(

mike31154
11-22-2016, 12:54 AM
I find GE a great tool, using it mostly after a hunt or scouting road trip with my motorbike to view my GPS tracks for future reference if/when I go back to an area. Use it before to ensure I don't encroach on private lands etc...FrontCounter BC now provides GE overlay kmz files with info highly useful to a hunter. There are many enhancements to GE available from third parties these days.

Here's a particularly busy example featuring a base map overlay with elevation contours, private land, crown ownership land and more....
https://ddkvdw.dm2302.livefilestore.com/y3mk2ICUEMEm_XCXFWklgllwEgYpl54aAaOaGBlbToHLPXGr08 Gt0TZ4ZlMnewCebiO-lAIbKdQnRhFtJV4MrbSGoLY-YDcirEfiMKDhBiAp0xy2xnsAJuPoq7apQEtMHvFj6TDBTmwh6X ws14Am0LYUuLW46xnyK-glBWwy1meWFE?width=1024&height=576&cropmode=none

Slightly less cluttered view of the same general area (zoomed out a bit) with only private land overlay. This was made using the DataBC kmz which isn't working that well for me since they updated it. I find the FrontCounter version easier to navigate.
https://btl6mg.dm2302.livefilestore.com/y3m1FLBeTTY3MpbWWttMVIRbzxBFinX5DtPWL5nDe89wFBvgSS sPy22Is3ijdwwqIfl7XITeSYsYjUhb4jWMs74oyZywhZMwoTte BqBlURQ3P-2Q24xQYnnRvLolgF-O_3_AyScml4yAV8k5j12U4bvOMSFSB3gfgPPa9chMTp4lxI?wi dth=1024&height=515&cropmode=none

GPS tracks imported to GE following trips. Elevation profiles are something I like to display as well. Also keep track of certain waypoints, such as where I find a bed or where I've flushed deer while stumbling thru the wilderness. The red line on the first screenshot is the MU 8-13 boundary. Came very close to crossing into MU 4 something at the top of my hike
https://btl9mg.dm2302.livefilestore.com/y3mryWfa0KWGrZO9YPn9ApIZukODr9tBDu004F7SWVzHA5VFEC k6BiGRcCUhGnXBX-fcyv9r8UMtkwZ7s3VPO8jtvzQhjGUuoZx8q7Bu48Tp_ziHxE66 Z5YyjSMNRRviC9V3de4AqFNU4sb-WsO2KGeMfTkNeKqZ6ujzo3pkGE-Oao?width=1024&height=558&cropmode=none

https://btlqmg.dm2302.livefilestore.com/y3mErOdDBL406rLc5pdhQJ1FCIXJ1CX9VTh4YBtOLZWoQjGSFA HEZTKCBr9zy7iG7zRsWSGlWxdPHrT13LrIeK9t2rAEw0fhxdYA J0y-U6-2_xP1c85n4vXY0dUZPHgSdGUh8tCqatQq7hnzSUzvZ6N5p3rsl DQiWN_LOH15ePwGNs?width=1024&height=508&cropmode=none

https://btiamw.dm2302.livefilestore.com/y3m5azRvBh0r32a9xCM_wIjWANb4nMpXk465IMXAzXkZZKFs_V MY9sK_aV5EL4rhzW4ZhVVKPwZ42rm969rFacNvwQs4zJXJrmmC g_h4Jhv1JObWs_bniM4HeAZMChgbdekN9JMY_-MPfULcF2cNsL2TkBDBRuL8rONlWwR_ER_9xU?width=1024&height=541&cropmode=none

hunter1947
11-22-2016, 04:05 AM
The only way to find out is to check out this spot looks good to me just make sure your there just before daylight than three hours before you loose shooting light good luck..

Bonz
11-22-2016, 08:31 AM
use it after a trip also to have a diff view of where you went to

Slinky Pickle
11-22-2016, 08:36 AM
As a side note. In areas where Google Earth is a bit out of date, you can try this Bing overlay. In some cases, Bing has newer images than Google.

http://ge-map-overlays.appspot.com/bing-maps

Also, all versions of Google Earth show the same images regardless of when it was installed or updated.

skibum
11-22-2016, 09:43 AM
As a side note. In areas where Google Earth is a bitvout of date, you can try this Bing overlay. In some cases, Bing has newer images than Google.

http://ge-map-overlays.appspot.com/bing-maps

Also, all versions of Google Earth show the same images regardless of when it was installed or updated.

You can use flashearth.com - think it is the same except view it in your browser. Only problem is the macro view of the earth is updated daily, which means that you have to guess to get through the cloud cover

deer nut
11-22-2016, 11:26 AM
Google earth is a great resource but this season I have noticed that things don't look the same from the ground! I've been trying to get into what looks like a secret buck hideaway on a rocky mountain and I simply cannot find a way in. Eg., There's a hidden Canyon or impassable rock Bluffs or absolutely impossible logging slash!). It looks easy on Google earth but I've tried three separate routes and ironically bagged a small blacktail on my way into my final attempt. So use Google earth with caution there is no substitute for boots on the ground.

Salty
11-22-2016, 12:55 PM
Yeah it SAF doesn't guarantee you can get to what you're looking at. I'm pretty low tech with it compared to many of you guys I use it mostly to look for likely travel, feeding, bedding areas. I check elevations a lot looking for flat spots or other features which is dead easy just hover over a spot with the mouse and the elev is displayed bottom right of screen. You can use the ruler thingy to measure horizontal distance and find elevation changes and figure out what kind of grade up or down you're looking at and if its feasible to walk it. Checking elevation along a route often cliffs show up that might otherwise be hidden to the eye.

Ryo
11-22-2016, 01:12 PM
There are a couple other cool features that I've used (using Google Earth Pro, which is now free):

Under the "View" dropdown menu, there is a "Historical Imagery" option. Sometimes this can get you far more recent, or better quality imagery than the normal picture - not always, but its always worth checking. Also under "view" there is a "sun" option. For any given day, and any given time, it will show you where the sun is hitting, roughly. This can help you plan a little more carefully than simply shooting for the "south-facing slope." I know my area pretty well, and know a few spots where I am more likely to see deer in the morning. This google earth feature confirms that these are the exact spots that get the first sunlight of the morning in the late season.

Google won't put you on to deer, but it can give you some hints.

elknut
11-22-2016, 02:58 PM
" Scout".......to examine or observe anything in order to obtain information....One of many meanings of the word Scout....Plan " B " adriaticum....

smallfry14
11-22-2016, 05:44 PM
So could anybody tell me how to identify the most likely route of travel? or migration routes, funnels, pinch points, etc? I've been curious as to what that looks like when guys have mentioned it before. Anybody wanna post an example? I can't be the only one that wants to know!

Also, I am well aware that more often than not, the place in person won't be quite what you expected from looking at google earth..been there, done that, lots. But it is indeed a great tool to give you an idea of where to check out and how to get there, and some of the overlays posted are pretty damn useful. I even have the MU boundaries on mine.

Salty
11-22-2016, 05:59 PM
A guy could write a book to answer some of those questions smallfry which that's been done quite a bit and reading up on deer habits never hurts. Some broad brush strokes on it though deer are prey. Prey doesn't like to be seen. So they are most comfortable moving where they don't stick out like a sore thumb, routes that offer cover will be used if deer are around. Things like thick timber, gullys and other natural features that will hide them is where they'll most likely prefer to travel. Those cuts will be a great food source for them so they won't stay away from them all together that's for sure but they'll approach carefully and prefer to be near cover and an escape route back in to cover. On those knolls look for areas that they can't climb or descend like cliffs and look at the edges each way where they can get up and down and you might just find a used pinch point.

Bonz
11-22-2016, 06:03 PM
You can use flashearth.com - think it is the same except view it in your browser. Only problem is the macro view of the earth is updated daily, which means that you have to guess to get through the cloud cover

i just checked that one out. its got real old imagry. looked in a spot i use and it still shows homes that were gone over 10 years ago

Bonz
11-22-2016, 06:13 PM
these were pointed out on first page by someone else. top left red arrow looks like a travel way. check in that thicker timber line.
across the upper back of the image, all the way along there to top right corner. and that thick patch of timber just below in what looks like a bowl.
and that last lower arrow, myself id go a bit further through them scattered trees and to the next thicker patch, looks to be a low valley through there.

lol, i tried to add that image and tells me its to big now. its back on page one

twoSevenO
11-23-2016, 03:53 PM
Google earth ... what it looks like:
http://www.brendajwiley.com/images/lost_cove_poplar/open_forest_lg.jpg

What it's actually like lol:

http://pacificbiochar.com/wp-content/uploads/pacific-biochar_windfall-lava-iselle-1899.jpg

Dirt Road King
11-26-2016, 07:37 AM
looks like nice area