PDA

View Full Version : Black tail still hunting questions

ff89
11-18-2016, 08:03 PM
I'm trying to peice together my blacktail puzzle. As I was still hunting along, figuring out my spot, I found lots of areas which looked prime too me, full of old poop and trails from earlier this year, but not much fresh sign. After checking all the areas I thought would be productive and running in to not much but a lone doe, the process of elimination led me to the spots I didn't originally believe to be fruitful. Bottom ends of a couple cuts too thick to walk of mostly 3-4 foot alders, with strips of timber full of blow down and salal seperating them. I rattled/called in a little buck 500 m from here a few weeks ago.

As I started making my way down, being quiet was not possible but I started to see fresh poop of all different sizes, fresh tracks, beds and well used trails going mostly down slope. Below this it is super steep, bluffs, timber and eventually water and fields 400 m elevation down. Above is more cuts, roads and not nearly as much concentrated fresh sign.

How do I tell what time of day they are using this area? Are the same trails used for coming and going? Or do they use different paths for entering/leaving areas? What is a black tail bucks daily schedule like? Are deer more likely to move up and down slope through out the day or, side to side? Do they like to stick together or be spread out? I feel like the answer to all this stuff is "it depends", but its worth a shot.

Fella
11-18-2016, 08:09 PM
I'm trying to peice together my blacktail puzzle. As I was still hunting along, figuring out my spot, I found lots of areas which looked prime too me, full of old poop and trails from earlier this year, but not much fresh sign. After checking all the areas I thought would be productive and running in to not much but a lone doe, the process of elimination led me to the spots I didn't originally believe to be fruitful. Bottom ends of a couple cuts too thick to walk of mostly 3-4 foot alders, with strips of timber full of blow down and salal seperating them. I rattled/called in a little buck 500 m from here a few weeks ago.

As I started making my way down, being quiet was not possible but I started to see fresh poop of all different sizes, fresh tracks, beds and well used trails going mostly down slope. Below this it is super steep, bluffs, timber and eventually water and fields 400 m elevation down. Above is more cuts, roads and not nearly as much concentrated fresh sign.

How do I tell what time of day they are using this area? Are the same trails used for coming and going? Or do they use different paths for entering/leaving areas? What is a black tail bucks daily schedule like? Are deer more likely to move up and down slope through out the day or, side to side? Do they like to stick together or be spread out? I feel like the answer to all this stuff is "it depends", but its worth a shot.

Throw up a trail cam or two or ten

Downwind
11-19-2016, 07:31 AM

Well it can depend. If this is an area the does are frequenting the bucks will be there in the rut (might have some late stragglers). Personally, I would get in there well before dark, if I could, and find a place to sit and watch the whole area all day and not worry about still hunting. I hunt a lot of areas that are thick like that and you're more likely to blow them out then you are to get a shot if you're making lots of noise. Sit back, relax and see what makes it way out throughout the day.

Shawn Smith
11-19-2016, 08:29 AM
I've placed cameras out around rub lines I've found and I haven't gotten one pic of a blacktail bucks till 45 minutes after dark they are very nocturnal. My suggestion is to find a cut where your seeing sign set up well before first light and sit there till about 9 am if you don't see anything go home try again at last light. Until the rut is in full swing that's there usual behaviour once the rut starts they will move around more during the day.

scotty30-06
11-19-2016, 11:43 PM
Also depending on alot of different things...other hunting pressure etc...best bet is set up some cams get some scents out and see what's interested...from what I learned blacktails have no real schedule and especally in deep stuff they float around at all times of the day or night...trail cams are your friend...even look at Walmart they have ones for 60 bucks...nothing crazy but gets the job done

hotshot
11-20-2016, 11:16 AM
Ive been trying different calling and rattling techniques from http://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/big-game-hunting/calling-pacific-northwest-blacktails/

Wild one
11-20-2016, 12:02 PM
It all comes down to the location you are hunting if still hunting is even the right choice. You really need to think about your location and the deer numbers in the location. Time of year, weather, and wind. If conditions are not in your favour you are just going to blow the deer out of the area and may not even see them.

you really need to consider all the different factors before deciding what hunting method is best for the conditions. You can be in a location full of deer but if you can't see them without spooking them your not getting a good shot.

Still hunting can work great if the location and weather is fitting. My self I want rain and a consistent wind when comes to weather. My best luck still hunting is in crappy weather.

For location ground that you can move silent with minimal undergrowth rubbing on your legs. Semi open timber ridges so you can see a little ways and the elevation changes help with this. Older growth with a mossy floor is really nice.

I like still hunting in areas the population is spread out or near bedding areas

The key is take your time and stop to look often. Look for a piece of the deer ears, legs, and line of the back. Using bino's helps. Don't wear noisy gear fabric rubbing and metal clanging are not natural sounds. Watch your footing when you move and stop when observing the bush around you. Durring the rut stopping to call is good doe bleats and rattling.

Yes it works great but if the area is too thick to move without being noisy and constantly moving the bush not my choice.

look at your location and think about if it is good for still hunting before doing it.

brian
11-21-2016, 11:24 AM
You are right, the answer is mostly "It depends". But it sounds like you have got into some good country.

Generally blacktails are heading uphill to bed and downhill to feed, but this doesn't mean it is a strait up and down route. There can be a ton of side hilling and meandering that is going on. And of course this is just a generality so it depends. Their favorite bedding grounds might be below where they are feeding. My experience is more deer are bedding higher up but you can find bedding grounds anywhere and at any elevation. I have read that blacktails will use separate trails coming and going but I have found tracks going both ways on well used trails. Check the trails in your area. Pay particular attention to any steeper areas, you'll have an easier time finding tracks on the slopes and be able to establish direction of travel. It can give you a clue as to what direction they are using the trail. Don't be surprised if the answer is both directions. They basically use the terrain to their best advantage and prefer to move in cover if possible. I do find they prefer to enter and leave feeding grounds from certain areas which can provide some great ambush spots, but of course this can vary. An area that just saw high use can be dry as a bone a week later.

Do they stick together? In my area they generally are alone or in small groups. Bucks will form bachelor groups through much of the year outside of the rut. They split up during the pre-rut/rut, but I have seen bucks hanging around each other in the rut too. So it all depends.This doesn't mean you won't see a few separate groups of deer in the same feeding area at the same time. It looks like a much larger group but it really is still a bunch of separate groups/singles being drawn to the same area for the same reason.

When are they using the area? That is a big question which is answered by, it depends. You can pretty much rely on them being up and moving around at dusk, dawn, and during the dark. Does can be out midday depending on hunting pressure and how secure they feel. During the rut they can be moving anytime and acting irregularly, this is why hunters like the rut. But of course it all depends on hunting pressure and security. They will spend less time out in the open if they don't feel secure.

During regular season a bucks daily activity will vary by a lot of circumstances. Generally it will be some combination of eating, resting/chewing cud, sleeping, and a whole lot of sh*tting. When and where all depends. During the rut this all changes and getting laid becomes a priority. Hunters like to say things like "Deer do this or that." But deer are all individuals making individual choices based on circumstances. So while it is true that deer will tend to be moving more at dawn and dusk, a single deer may choose to move and feed whenever it feels like it. This may be self limiting as a buck that likes to feed happily in the midday sun won't last as long as one that hides out until just after light the has vanished. Hope it helps somewhat. If I were you I would try to find where they are bedding. Put more pieces of the puzzle together.

Sangstercraft
11-21-2016, 03:44 PM
Reading Boyd's "Blacktail trophy tactics 2" is a great start for any blacktail hunter. I know that many deer trails are only used in one direction, which can complicate things until you draw on a map the trail and direction of travel.

Also, the buck trails are very indistinct and often parallel the main deer trails. They take the hard path to travel because it allows them lots of cover as they move.

Since there's so much food for the blacktails in their coastal habitat, they choose their feeding grounds based on the wind of that day.

ff89
11-21-2016, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the info everyone

hunter1947
11-22-2016, 04:01 AM
My advise is to get there well before daylight then when its light enough look over everything meaning do your walk around then check out the same area mid day I found that at times deer will move midday do the same just before dark find out where the most sgn is in the cut block then set up there 2 hours before you loose shooting light ,,good luck..

ff89
11-22-2016, 10:57 PM
How much human (my) presence will it take push deer out of an area? I went dropped down in to some bluffs today and found more beds and poop and smell of a rutting buck in the air, and fresh tracks on the trail going away from me. Followed it a bit hoping too see a buck on the other side of a ridge but turned around not wanting to scare anything out of the area for good.

brian
11-23-2016, 01:57 PM
The answer to that is of course, it depends. But blacktail are home bodies. They don't like to move away and it won't be too far if they do. If you think about it a deer is far more vulnerable in unfamiliar territory so its better to stick around known danger than to escape into unknown danger. So they'll stick around in places where they see less danger. So look in less accessible places of their territory if they vanish on you. The smarter ones will also go nocturnal with increased pressure and push their comfortable travel times well into dark.