PDA

View Full Version : hunting in cougar country

dhk
11-18-2016, 08:23 AM
So I was out still hunting for deer, moving along in thick cover every so slowly and came across a old den with bones around. It was thick cover with lots of tangled dead fall really close to a stream under rocky cliffs
I figured it was probally a old coyote den but when I got home got thinking maybe it was a cougars den.
Is this something to be worried about or am I just freaking myself out?
I've done a lot of bow hunting and bird hunting in Ontario but never had a pex predators to worry about.
Anyway probally over thinking it!

primmed99
11-18-2016, 08:26 AM
yes I would worry it might get you, just like when you go to a public pool and fear a shark attack

Fella
11-18-2016, 08:42 AM
I myself tend to wear armour when hunting the island, I usually get one jumping out of a tree at me every 45 yards or so.

northof49
11-18-2016, 11:09 AM
Should always be aware of surroundings including possibilty of cougar encounter in areas they inhabit. Have been followed before.....never saw it but the tracks were on top of mine and followed me
for awhile where I worked through fir/rock knobs. No need to worry IMO.....just be aware and keep an eye behind.

Wild one
11-18-2016, 11:18 AM
Never been chewed on by cougar wolf grizz or any other predator be around them lots.

Maybe I taste or smell bad or they just have little interest in eating people you be the judge lol

tipper
11-18-2016, 11:32 AM
I wouldn't be too concerned however a cat tore the scalp off of a buddys brother quite a few years ago.

butcher
11-18-2016, 11:37 AM
I paint a face on the back of my head so they always think I'm watching

northof49
11-18-2016, 11:59 AM
I paint a face on the back of my head so they always think I'm watching

made me laugh

BCHoyt
11-18-2016, 03:40 PM
Its true... There is a reason cats attack from behind most of the time... In places where there are tigers people quite often wear masks on the back of their heads so it looks like they are watching..

HarryToolips
11-18-2016, 03:54 PM
Should always be aware of surroundings including possibilty of cougar encounter in areas they inhabit. Have been followed before.....never saw it but the tracks were on top of mine and followed me
for awhile where I worked through fir/rock knobs. No need to worry IMO.....just be aware and keep an eye behind.
This................

Stone Sheep Steve
11-18-2016, 04:02 PM
Buy a tag. Pretty much guarantees that you won't run into one.

skibum
11-18-2016, 04:12 PM

This has worked for bears for myself

That would be pretty cool finding that den with all the bones around it.

Billy52
11-18-2016, 04:17 PM
I was still-hunting for deer about 3 weeks ago. I had a mother cougar and two kittens approaching me. They were on a direction that was going to pass me at about 40 yards. They had no idea I was there. When they changed their direction and started to veer towards I thought I better let them know of my presence before they got too close. I mad a "psssst" sound quite loud and moved my arms. The mother saw me and quickly changed direction and got out of there with her kittens. Wish I had a camera…..s(sometimes I carry one around my neck)….the kittens still had spots and were "meowing" just like a house cat…..It was a pretty cool experience. It will probably never happen again in my lifetime. I would follow the other's advice…..be aware of your surroundings and enjoy the outdoors.

Chuck
11-18-2016, 09:24 PM

Ain't that the truth!

twoSevenO
11-18-2016, 10:00 PM
cougar country is my favorite kind of hunting ground

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/80/3c/28/803c2807f66e7a16b1ccaa090135fce4.jpg