PDA

View Full Version : Region 2 - help me connect with a black bear 3 days left

markathome
11-17-2016, 10:04 PM
Hey guys - I've tagged out on deer and now I'm looking for a little help on connecting with a BB in the next two days. I live in Squamish, have a half day of hunting maybe tomorrow and one full day on Saturday.

I did have an opportunity this fall and lost it because of hesitation. Quick story: Snuck into my alpine blacktail buck spot and all systems were in the green (wind in my face, I was in the area before light, I was in the zone). Creeped through a rock patch and shimmied behind some trees and there he was chomping on grass out in a alpine bowl - big blackie. I've learned to make sure they're a size that is worth harvesting by guessing how many ears will fit between their ears. I could have easily fit 3-4 ears in between his ears. He was a Big Boar for sure.

I set the camera (left the cap on!), got into a prone position with the barrel sitting on branch and put him in my cross hairs... I watched him for 5-7 mins with an ok quartered shot. All the while thinking "Man I'm 6 k from the truck - he's huge, I have three deer tags in my kill kit... should I pull the trigger?" Then without any warning - the wind swirls and he had my scent! Stalk was over. He looked directly into my eyes for about two seconds, flicked his ears, wheeled up on his back legs, did a 180 and blasted to treeline like his ass was on fire.

There really is a mental shift from harvesting deer to pulling the trigger on a bear. Anyone else feel this way?

Ok second point: I know there are bears on the rivers chowing on salmon... and I can likely make that happen (got legal shooting spot sorted out and have see lots of bears there). So I am apprehensive about the old wives tale of avoiding river bears because of the fish taste - is this true? Anyone first hand have experience? My plan for the bear is to smoke the hams and sausage / salami everything else. And give the euro mount to my kids.

So my plan is to focus only on high probability success - river bears? Or ideally I'd rather connect with a mountain bear, where I would more or less truck hunt until I see tracks. Thoughts? Hold out for the mt bear or take the path of least resistance and go for the river bear?

albravo2
11-17-2016, 10:19 PM
Come get the bugger that keeps ripping my compost open. It has been so warm they haven't shown any inclination to hibernate and this guy has figured out how to rip open the locked cans.

I'd go for the mountain bear. I've had duck that had eaten fish and it was gross. Find a nice berry bear and you won't regret it.

Bonz
11-18-2016, 07:49 AM
dont know about the river bear fishy deal, but i had one from the island last year. didnt matter what i had for a processed item, it all tasted like smoked salmon. may have been the butchers brine or whatever he used but i didnt like it at all. the butcher was shitty to so it may have been just his work, i couldnt tell a smokie from a garlic sausage..all that brine taste to it from smoked salmon

LupieHunter
11-18-2016, 08:08 AM
River bear chomping on fish=fishy tasting bear.

markathome
11-18-2016, 09:50 AM
Come get the bugger that keeps ripping my compost open. It has been so warm they haven't shown any inclination to hibernate and this guy has figured out how to rip open the locked cans.

I'd go for the mountain bear. I've had duck that had eaten fish and it was gross. Find a nice berry bear and you won't regret it.

I hear you! We have them walking down the street every night in Valley Cliff - banging on bins hoping to get lucky.

I'd rather take a bear that's edible than risk the fish taste - guess I'll head up to the snow line and see what I can find. Good luck to everyone this weekend - it'll be busy out there with the change in the weather.

ItsGrouseTalk
11-18-2016, 10:28 AM
Best bet is get away from the rivers and hunt the mountains.... dont want a fish bear

Wild one
11-18-2016, 10:46 AM
Fish bear taste like crap

it is also the time of year bear hunting is super slow. May-June and Sept-Oct are your prime months out side of that I don't hunt them or expect to see them. Can it be done yes but most often a waste of time

Waterfowl/deer time of year or even predators in the lower mainland

last light
11-18-2016, 12:21 PM
As others have said already. Not too many bears around this time of year. Not entirely impossible but highly improbable.

Have seen most bears in September, feeding on berries. Still see some in the first half of October. I think I've seen 2 in November. That's in 20 years of hunting.

.308SLAYER
11-18-2016, 12:48 PM
I seen a black bear in the middle of Dec behind a vineyard I thought it was quite odd

markathome
11-18-2016, 01:43 PM
Thanks guys - I'm not counting on anything that's for sure. Go for a ride, shoot some chickens and maybe luck out.

Katanajay
12-01-2017, 01:40 PM
Thanks guys - I'm not counting on anything that's for sure. Go for a ride, shoot some chickens and maybe luck out.

Any update? Any luck? Looking to get out tomorrow around Squamish as well. Bear, deer, grouse or just a nice drive and hike.

albravo2
12-01-2017, 01:51 PM
Any update? Any luck? Looking to get out tomorrow around Squamish as well. Bear, deer, grouse or just a nice drive and hike.

Bear is closed in 2-7. Good luck otherwise.