PDA

View Full Version : 20 yr 4X4 mulie curse continues...

.264winmag
11-16-2016, 03:17 PM
20 yrs huntin never took a 4x4 mule deer, the few I have shot most were small and pretty much fluke by-catch in oct. Got a bit of the mulie bug last year when a decent 4x4 showed up on trail cam. 10 days straight no sighting of him until nov.11, 60 yds away in timber season closed. No sign of him this year so moved onto region 4, no 4 point luck there, back to region 8. Missed one small 4x3, next day a buck of a lifetime walks away after jumping a few ft in the air at shot. Now I'm absolutely hooked, look for him the entire next day. Tracks left the old slash and went over the other side of mountain 6500ft. Nov.10 passes still 4 pointless. Off to region 3. Hit it bang on, snow, rut, small bucks all over chasing does down low. Chased a couple 3x? yesterday up high 1600M but no confirmed 4 point. Driving into hiking spot looking forward to another snowy day up in the alpine. Partner spots doe from truck out I get. He yells 4 point I drop my shells in the snow, Here we go again, and there he goes. Finally get one in the hole just as he's gonna vanish like the last 2, I yell he stops 150 yds quartered hard away, high shoulder down he goes. Still no 4x4 but I'll take this dinker:
http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h325/Doubleheader2/Bullet%20performance/ABD8F48B-ACB0-405E-AF18-E0DF9A42B8A7.jpg (http://s1104.photobucket.com/user/Doubleheader2/media/Bullet%20performance/ABD8F48B-ACB0-405E-AF18-E0DF9A42B8A7.jpg.html) http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h325/Doubleheader2/Bullet%20performance/A1FD2F16-00D0-4B09-84FF-B587EB0BE79A.jpg (http://s1104.photobucket.com/user/Doubleheader2/media/Bullet%20performance/A1FD2F16-00D0-4B09-84FF-B587EB0BE79A.jpg.html)
http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h325/Doubleheader2/Bullet%20performance/DF1A9C63-61EE-46AA-9C0A-149B1B49504D.jpg (http://s1104.photobucket.com/user/Doubleheader2/media/Bullet%20performance/DF1A9C63-61EE-46AA-9C0A-149B1B49504D.jpg.html)
Not quite the experience in the alpine I was hoping for, and nowhere near half the buck that got away but it's a start and I'll take it. Man does he stink, not the table fare my two wt will be but should make ok sausage.
There ya have it, even a clueless mule deer hunter like me can get it done. Don't even have to be a good shot HA. Just gotta keep at it, third times the charm.
Good time to be in the woods, good luck everyone.
I'm tired, gonna bed down for awhile...

adriaticum
11-16-2016, 03:21 PM
Congrats on your buck

Ajsawden
11-16-2016, 03:34 PM
nice buck with some fun character on it's right antler. how come "the curse continues"?

.264winmag
11-16-2016, 03:38 PM
nice buck with some fun character on it's right antler. how come "the curse continues"?
Not a 4x4;)

ROY-alty33
11-16-2016, 03:40 PM
how come "the curse continues"? http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/misc/progress.gif

Because its a 5x4?

Linksman313
11-16-2016, 03:44 PM
Hmmm, anyone else counting 5x4 on this deer? but still no 4x4? This beauty not big enough? Please tell more .264

11-16-2016, 04:02 PM
Hey 264. Congrats to you.
A good Mulie with some character, yes not a monster but hey, be happy with that.
Just cause he REEKS of the rutty buck syndrome, you may be surprised, it does not always mean they eat worse. Couple of my biggest bucks and bull elk for that matter tasted terrific in full rut. And I know yuk when I taste it. LOL! Wack a Bull Caribou in full rut ..... Or most of them ..... Now that's yuk.

congrats again, good share. CT

dd3boss
11-16-2016, 04:08 PM
That's a pretty sweet looking buck. Antlers will look great on the wall. And hopefully the meat will taste fine.

decker9
11-16-2016, 04:17 PM
Good lookin buck!! The 4x4 will happen, congrats!!

.264winmag
11-16-2016, 04:28 PM
My partner brought a bigger 4 point from farmland fsj, fabulous table fare! I've not shot, but had mule from these parts that smelled like this. Even the meat has that smell and funky taste. Pulled the guts out him, resembled a deflated balloon. He been running awhile.
I'm telling ya boys this things a puker in comparison to the monarch I blew it on. I'm no expert but verifying a 4x4 with 10x binos from 900ish yds is not normal I don't think. That and he was staring straight down the hill ears straight sideways and rack easy 4'' outside both sides.
I got the bug, I'm a meat hunter and save for them farm mulies' I couldn't give a crap about them. Then I seen that monster and it's like I just started hunting again. Feels good to break the ice but I know what's out there.
Gonna be a long 9 months waiting...

tomahawk
11-16-2016, 04:28 PM
Man does he stink, not the table fare my two wt will be but should make ok sausage.

That's a nice young buck, no reason at all he wont be great eating. Tender and good taste and much better suited to steaks, roasts and burger/sausage then just sausage. Ruttin smell CAN NOT permeate the hide and get on the meat without it being allowed to by being punctured by another buck or in field dressing. The only internal part of the buck under the hide that's affected by the rut is the liver, it will be white speckled or not a dark rich red color. That's one good eating animal.

olympia
11-16-2016, 04:37 PM
Lol if u arent satisfied with this buck ur bent brother. That thing is a beauty

.264winmag
11-16-2016, 04:42 PM
That's a nice young buck, no reason at all he wont be great eating. Tender and good taste and much better suited to steaks, roasts and burger/sausage then just sausage. Ruttin smell CAN NOT permeate the hide and get on the meat without it being allowed to by being punctured by another buck or in field dressing. The only internal part of the buck under the hide that's affected by the rut is the liver, it will be white speckled or not a dark rich red color. That's one good eating animal.

Dealt with a few deer in my time, scent glands off right after tag is cut. Pretty savy to taking care of game, never use a butcher. Even Island deer get that tinge with the utmost care taken. Shot a same age 3x3 mulie that smelled the same one year, I'll make sausage out the entire thing thanks, wife won't even let me cook it inside before it's spiced/smoked HA. Call it personal preference but I have two perfectly good wt that are steaked in the freezer. Each to their own. Like I said though, them alfalfa mule deer are stunning table fare.
Cheers.

Budman
11-16-2016, 04:43 PM
Congrats on getting that buck and putting meat in the freezer. What I see is steaks, sausage , pepperoni and jerky.

.264winmag
11-16-2016, 04:45 PM
Lol if u arent satisfied with this buck ur bent brother. That thing is a beauty

Thanks
Yes I got the fever bad...

russm
11-16-2016, 04:51 PM
Id be more than happy with a funky looking 5x4, i think I'd prefer it over a nice symmetrical 4x4, can't really judge flavour by the stink, you could smell the mulw deer i got this year 20 feet away from the truck and he's probably the best tasting deer I've eaten.

.264winmag
11-16-2016, 05:00 PM
Like I said I'm a mulie rookie, but I've eaten more than a few rutted up blacktail's that were sub par;)

.264winmag
11-16-2016, 05:42 PM
I'd be more than happy with a funky looking 5x4, i think I'd prefer it over a nice symmetrical 4x4, can't really judge flavour by the stink, you could smell the mulw deer i got this year 20 feet away from the truck and he's probably the best tasting deer I've eaten.

Happy to get him, but trade for a 30''ish wide, potential 200" 4x4?

adriaticum
11-16-2016, 05:46 PM
It's your caliber .264.
Use a different caliber next year and your spell will be over.

.264winmag
11-16-2016, 05:51 PM
It's your caliber .264.
Use a different caliber next year and your spell will be over.

Stopped after i missed that monster. 10" rock at 1155yds twice consecutive. It ain't the rifle brother...
Changing cal won't cure buck fever HA

Rusty
11-16-2016, 05:52 PM
Very nice 5x4
WELL done.

tomahawk
11-16-2016, 06:14 PM
Dealt with a few deer in my time, scent glands off right after tag is cut. Pretty savy to taking care of game, never use a butcher. Even Island deer get that tinge with the utmost care taken. Shot a same age 3x3 mulie that smelled the same one year, I'll make sausage out the entire thing thanks, wife won't even let me cook it inside before it's spiced/smoked HA. Call it personal preference but I have two perfectly good wt that are steaked in the freezer. Each to their own. Like I said though, them alfalfa mule deer are stunning table fare.
Cheers.

Moose, deer, elk that I harvest are almost all exclusively in the rut. Since 1967 I haven't bought beef, its all been wild game meat. Three kids and 2 grandkids all raised on wild meat. 50 yrs now of shooting them in the rut, only had 2 poor table fair moose and they were my mistake in field dressing. No issues with dozens of 4 x4 mules in the rut. The scent glands are an old hunters tale, I never take the scent glands off, no need too if you don't expose the meat to the glands. Leave them be, cutting them off before gutting or skinning only gets the rut smell on your knife and if not cleaned properly into the chest cavity when you field dress. I strictly hunt for meat, yah i'll shoot a trophy but I don't target them. Two bull moose in the heat of the rut this year all stunk up that my grandson and buddy shot and the tenderest tastiest moose meat known to mankind. I'm curious how else can the rut smell deposited on the hair and outer hide of an animal get through the leather hide to the meat?

thepitchedlink
11-16-2016, 06:18 PM
Good story bud, wish I was tagging' along for that one.....we'll see what trouble I can get into tomorrow....:razz:

Salty
11-16-2016, 06:19 PM
Well you're moving up the chart D wasn't it a 3x4 last year or the year b4? Going the right direction nice mule well done. I know what you mean I should be out in the WT grounds by now but I'm stuck on chasing region 3 mule deer. And I haven't even seen a buck! Just sign that gets the hairs on the back of the neck standing up just knowing he's there :confused: Could be worse bugs to have I guess. lol

landphil
11-16-2016, 06:34 PM
Congrats. I know what you mean about the image of a monster mulie buck sticking in your mind, 17 years have past since I saw him early one August morning... Still haven't shot a buck bigger than a 3x3 either. One day that will change.

Rattler
11-16-2016, 07:24 PM
Ah yes the Muley bug is a bad one...I have it big time. Love muley hunting, especially spot and stalk alpine hunting.

Congrats on your buck. Sounds like you saw a dandy buck, good luck with him next year.

boxhitch
11-16-2016, 07:34 PM
character buck there
Youre a good shot, tough to believe you missed a couple times.
If you got a reaction at 900, must have trimmed some hair....or more

.264winmag
11-16-2016, 07:44 PM
Moose, deer, elk that I harvest are almost all exclusively in the rut. Since 1967 I haven't bought beef, its all been wild game meat. Three kids and 2 grandkids all raised on wild meat. 50 yrs now of shooting them in the rut, only had 2 poor table fair moose and they were my mistake in field dressing. No issues with dozens of 4 x4 mules in the rut. The scent glands are an old hunters tale, I never take the scent glands off, no need too if you don't expose the meat to the glands. Leave them be, cutting them off before gutting or skinning only gets the rut smell on your knife and if not cleaned properly into the chest cavity when you field dress. I strictly hunt for meat, yah i'll shoot a trophy but I don't target them. Two bull moose in the heat of the rut this year all stunk up that my grandson and buddy shot and the tenderest tastiest moose meat known to mankind. I'm curious how else can the rut smell deposited on the hair and outer hide of an animal get through the leather hide to the meat?

Call me superstitious then. I removed scent glands, partner did the rest with his knife to give us best chance of non-contamination. Not here to argue, it's all personal preference. Some may like sagebrush marinated or monashee/Selkirk hembal marinated mulie meat, not my favourite in past experience. I'll try the t-loin and go from there. Never had a bad moose, elk, wt, sheep or goat and most bt were tolerable. But the only good md, IME, has been alfalfa fed. I needed sausage, mission complete!

tomahawk
11-16-2016, 08:01 PM
Call me superstitious then. I removed scent glands, partner did the rest with his knife to give us best chance of non-contamination. Not here to argue, it's all personal preference. Some may like sagebrush marinated or monashee/Selkirk hembal marinated mulie meat, not my favourite in past experience. I'll try the t-loin and go from there. Never had a bad moose, elk, wt, sheep or goat and most bt were tolerable. But the only good md, IME, has been alfalfa fed. I needed sausage, mission complete!

I hear yah, just trying to get yah to try a taste cause most times there's lots of good meat on those stinky bucks. Hope your taste sample is good, I didn't realize you thought young mulies weren't that good also unless grain fed. let me know how it goes.

.264winmag
11-16-2016, 08:05 PM
character buck there
Youre a good shot, tough to believe you missed a couple times.
If you got a reaction at 900, must have trimmed some hair....or more

Kicked the dust up below. Snow wasn't far away, was up frolicking in the snow not long after. Looking back, very strange reaction... Feet stretched out in front rear straight behind few feet in the air. Landed on all 4s evenly, then left the gun and started celebrating. Watched him meander away for hundreds of yards just fine. Rookie mistake, I know better. Picked up bushes just below with rangefinder, few inches shy...

RiverOtter
11-16-2016, 08:07 PM
I hear ya on the rutted Mulie taste D. It has nothing to do with the tarsel glands, eye ducts or even hair. It is right in the meat itself and you can smell it as soon as the hide is off. Not sure if it's food born, adrenaline from fighting or dehydration, but it is definitely there. I'm like you, super OCD when it comes to handling table fair, so it's not a contamination issue, and WT's handled exactly the same way taste much better.

Greg3093
11-16-2016, 08:09 PM

Gee Rowd, getin picky in yer old age I see. Beauti deer and congrats.

.264winmag
11-16-2016, 08:56 PM
Gee Rowd, getin picky in yer old age I see. Beauti deer and congrats.

HA, pot calling the kettle black aren't ya?
Had some extra time on my hands so decided to miss a couple first;)

Razor84
11-17-2016, 01:17 AM
900 yard shots when you got buck fever. That's bullshit man

.264winmag
11-17-2016, 01:27 AM
900 yard shots when you got buck fever. That's bullshit man
First of all, I don't ever remember saying anything about a 900yd shot. 2nd, I've shot enough to know when it's ethical to touch one off, and let me tell you I was very calm and composed by the time I squeezed off. Thanks for your concern and tip though.

Looking_4_Jerky
11-17-2016, 02:07 AM
I hear ya on the rutted Mulie taste D. It has nothing to do with the tarsel glands, eye ducts or even hair. It is right in the meat itself and you can smell it as soon as the hide is off. Not sure if it's food born, adrenaline from fighting or dehydration, but it is definitely there. I'm like you, super OCD when it comes to handling table fair, so it's not a contamination issue, and WT's handled exactly the same way taste much better.

I am totally with you guys on this one!! I have never had a Nov MD I've thought tasted fine. I have seen my buddies meticulously treat their animals and they say they taste terrific, but I can taste and often smell the funkiness. I've had ones that haven't smelled in the least and still the meat tasted like crap IMO. Rutty WT, elk, moose, taste perfect. MD, forget it! I don't think it's food related as I've had both sagebrush and high elevation "hembal" MD early in the season and they're great. I've had sagebrush WT and they're great. In fact, people often talk about alfalfa deer, but most farmers spray their crops, so I prefer non-crop deer from the right time of season if we're discussing the organic aspect.

I don't think it's dependant on age either, as I've had mid Oct MD that was probably 3.5 (possibly 4.5) yrs and it was great. I've had 1.5 yr old late Oct MD that was disgusting, but my buddy swore "it just tasted like MD".

I think some folks just aren't sensitive to it, much like some folks can't pick up the "muddy" taste in some trout while others can smell it on the fish when it's being taken off the hook. Anyway, good job on the deer. If you are sensitive to that taste, do yourself a favor and give that meat to someone with a dog, because you'll taste it through the smoke and spices of any sausage, pepperoni or jerky you make!

.264winmag
11-17-2016, 02:18 AM
Lookin 4 jerky and I found some lol. You could very well be right about the diet not affecting flavour, could just purely be a rut thing similar to late season caribou you hear of. I don't think this young buck is too far gone for dog food though HA. They're getting the liver that's for sure, and I love liver usually;) I have an assortment of trimmings to tone er down a bit, I hope anyway!

Looking_4_Jerky
11-17-2016, 02:32 AM
Ok, maybe the dogfood comment was a bit harsh. The product may not be terrible, but IME it is likely you'll still pick up the taste. To be honest, I always have made myself consume even the stinky MD I have shot, as I think it's my (sometimes unfortunate) obligation after blasting the life out of awesome animals.

.264winmag
11-17-2016, 06:17 AM
Kind of why I just started hunting them HA. Hope to get an early season one next year, might be the ticket!

Stone Sheep Steve
11-17-2016, 06:25 AM
Take a hammer and take off that fifth point. No more curse!!

Congrats!!

My early season Muley has turned out to be a great eater! Tender too. Every bit as
good as the grape eater I arrowed a couple
years ago.
SSS

.264winmag
11-17-2016, 10:26 AM
I dunno sss, the wife seems to like the neat little rack and wants to use it as part of her shed chandelier she has been collecting for. Happy wife happy life, and super brownie points for next season HA.
As they say things happen for a reason.
At the end of the season, looking back it was a good one. Didn't have to venture far from home to stuff the freezer. The missed golden opportunity will just be more incentive for next year!
Time to work on burning up that bbl of mine, maybe on some dogs!

HarryToolips
11-17-2016, 12:01 PM
Hey that's a nice buck, congrats!

Looking_4_Jerky
11-17-2016, 05:45 PM
I dunno sss, the wife seems to like the neat little rack and wants to use it as part of her shed chandelier she has been collecting for. Happy wife happy life, and super brownie points for next season HA.
At the end of the season, looking back it was a good one. Didn't have to venture far from home to stuff the freezer. The missed golden opportunity will just be more incentive for next year!

Hey! You're a genius! If I can convince my wife to hang a home-made antler chandelier, every day I go hunting, I can say it was all for her. "Honey, what can I say? I just give and I give and I give for you!" :)

kennyj
11-17-2016, 06:53 PM
Sweet!! A 5x4. Even bettor. Great buck.
kenny

Stone Sheep Steve
11-17-2016, 09:09 PM

sounds like she's a keeper!

Mine started complaing about slowly losing wall space to me but a couple months ago she asked for a set of antlers for her own craft display. Was happy to 'loan' her a 4 pt whitey rack.
Might have to keep her

sss

.264winmag
11-18-2016, 08:46 AM
Well you're moving up the chart D wasn't it a 3x4 last year or the year b4? Going the right direction nice mule well done. I know what you mean I should be out in the WT grounds by now but I'm stuck on chasing region 3 mule deer. And I haven't even seen a buck! Just sign that gets the hairs on the back of the neck standing up just knowing he's there :confused: Could be worse bugs to have I guess. lol

2014 was an oct 3x3 for me, was a decent eater. It's a good bug to have. Good luck through the rest of the season, prime time out there!