PDA

View Full Version : Uplandbird Hunters

slyfox
07-02-2007, 08:04 PM
I was thinking of trying hunting sharptail grouse in reg 3 unit 31 as it is the only area in reg three you can hunt them. I have never hunted these birds but have hunted ever other upland bird in bc so i would have an idea were to start i would think sharptail would be like hunting p chicken in open flats buy farms or buy watering holes.Im not asking anyone for there spot but if you have hunted them in the area is there a good population of the bird around.willing to tell spots were to hunt other upland birds Thanks Slyfox p.s. using dogs to hunt them.

luckynuts
07-03-2007, 09:28 AM
Hey Slyfox,

Have them up here in John not many but you do find them in groups as large as 20 sometimes. Your hunch is right late afternoons you can find them in the fields though not far from timber. I quite often see them along the fence rows and along the roads but always close to timber or some kind of dense bush. They love to fly and would be a great bird to purse. Hopefully I will have time to do some wing shooting this year.

Good luck

DieselDog
07-03-2007, 04:42 PM
Slyfox, I just recieved a issue of "The Outdoor Edge" in the mail today and there is a intresting article about hunting "sharpies" in B.C. You might want to give it a read. Good Luck!

Jimbo
07-07-2007, 10:27 AM
Slyfox, the "Outdoor Edge" article describes pretty well what I've found in the bigger cut blocks in 5-02 c & d. If your willing to drive farther send me a PM