PDA

View Full Version : Trail cam locks

Workinirn
11-15-2016, 08:52 PM
Just invested in two trail cameras, I'm curious to know what everyone uses for locks.
Ive seen cable locks at home hardware for $25 but would like to know if there is a better, more efficient way to secure our beloved cameras. I also realize no matter how you lock or secure your cameras, if someone wants them they will get them.

Hope some of the more experienced members can chime in here.
Thanks !

Stone Sheep Steve
11-15-2016, 08:54 PM
Lock boxes that lag bolt to the tree. Not fool proof for two legged marauders but there are pretty bear proof.

Workinirn
11-15-2016, 09:08 PM
Hey SSS, I'm very new to trail cameras. As far as I was concerned trail cameras were locked boxes..
Would you mind elaborating ?

dd3boss
11-15-2016, 09:33 PM
Trail cameras are lockable but are just made out of plastic. The lock boxes that they fit into are made of metal and lag bolt right to the tree. You then put your camera inside it and lock it in. Then you get a big ass cable lock and wrap it around the tree and lock it to the lock box. You can find lock boxes made for specific brands but also universal boxes that fit most cameras.

todbartell
11-15-2016, 10:17 PM
I have been using trail cams for ten years now, but until a couple weeks ago never bothered with a lock box of any kind. I've only lost 2 over the years to theft, one of those could of been a bear? I've had one SD card taken, and bears have chewed up a couple. I did get the Spypoint lock box for my new Solar cam, and also got a Python lock.

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15036743_10154165113147992_1327480739893832345_n.j pg?oh=181b40c362f72325d6f015d609d86ff6&oe=58C6FBA5

Squamch
11-16-2016, 08:02 AM
We use steel boxes made for the cams, with the round trailer padlocks (where you can't get bolt cutters on them) and 3" lags. It'll take some work to get loose.

Sitkaspruce
11-17-2016, 07:05 PM
Lock boxes that lag bolt to the tree. Not fool proof for two legged marauders but there are pretty bear proof.

Had a Bushnell Blackflash HD camera lag bolted and case locked to a tree, walked in last month to find a two legged marauder had found it and borrowed. It was in the middle of nowhere (so I thought) and approx. 800m from any road.

So even lagged and locked, they still walk......

I buy lockable bear proof containers for all my cams; elk and bears are hard of them as well as the 2 legged asshats......

If you invested some $$$ in the cams, investing a few more $$$ to keep them safe is cheap insurance.

Cheers

SS

tipper
11-17-2016, 07:14 PM
I don't use lock boxes but I always put one camera high and outta site of the lower more obvious ones..

Pursuit
11-17-2016, 08:57 PM
Cable bike locks work pretty good for the most part. But like you said, if someone really wants it, then...

Squamch
11-17-2016, 09:01 PM
Had a Bushnell Blackflash HD camera lag bolted and case locked to a tree, walked in last month to find a two legged marauder had found it and borrowed. It was in the middle of nowhere (so I thought) and approx. 800m from any road.

So even lagged and locked, they still walk......

I buy lockable bear proof containers for all my cams; elk and bears are hard of them as well as the 2 legged asshats......

If you invested some $$$ in the cams, investing a few more $$$ to keep them safe is cheap insurance.

Cheers

SS

Any idea how they got it loose?

Good2bCanadian
11-17-2016, 09:25 PM
Steel lock box and cable lock.
They took an axe to my cable lock.

Bye Bye Bushnell HD

Seeker
11-17-2016, 10:04 PM
Buy a steel case, lag bolt to the tree, then cable lock. Never had one taken. The only theft I had was a cheap spypoint. The joke is on him as it had stopped working the last time I checked it. Bad software, hah! If you are in high traffic area, obviously more likely to be lifted. If you are off the beaten track, you most likely won't even need one, but I like the peace of mind thing so I lock em down. I have had countless bears try to bite the boxes, and immature moose hit the steel box so hard it knocked the batteries loose, but no harm to the camera. The one downside to the steel boxes is that they really put a damper on any incoming sound. I have been running cameras now for 6 years and have just this year had 2 tampered with. One stolen, the other someone placed elctricians tape over. no harm really on the later, just a piss off.

Sitkaspruce
11-17-2016, 10:10 PM
Any idea how they got it loose?

It had to be locals, there is three places within 15k of the spot, other than that it is an hour to both John and Dawson. They would have had to had bolt cutters and a socket set as the lag bolt was removed from the tree. I have not met too many hunters who carry both bolt cutters and a socket set in their day pack. Probably a few do, but I have never met one......maybe next year????

I have had 6 different people show up on my cams, not one has messed with them. All have been on cut lines, so I don't hang cams on cut lines, even ones over a klick away from any road and covered in blow down. This particular camera spot is where 5 different trails converge in a mixed spruce/aspen stand. My guess is the asshat followed a trail in and stumbled upon the camera, then went home and brought the tools to remove it. Live and learn.....

Cheers

SS

Buckmeister
11-18-2016, 01:14 AM
I have a Primos camera that has a steel lock box designed to fit and hold that camera. I was using lag bolts to secure to the tree, but I find the bolts have a tendency to shear off. I have since switched to using Heco screws. They cost about $1.50 a screw, but the shear strength is waaay stronger and have crazy good hold. I believe they are German made and are marketed as a timber framing fastener. They require a special bit to drive them into wood, so even if some jerk broke into my lock box, they won't have the tools necessary to make off with the box.

Workinirn
11-20-2016, 05:02 PM
Thanks for all the input guys.

Looks like I'll be getting my hands on a few lock boxes and cable locks. I cringe at the thought of someone walking away with one of my trail cams. First cam will be a 10 minute drive from home.. With another 2 1/2 hour hike to reach the location. Second one still gotta find a spot, region 3 most likely.

Another question for you all. Would it be a waste to put out salt this time of year?
Any thing else I can use to get some deer in front of the camera?

Oh yeah. Just got home from wt hunting. Saw two solid bucks but couldn't get a good shot. Oh well.

Buckmeister
11-20-2016, 06:11 PM
Thanks for all the input guys.

Looks like I'll be getting my hands on a few lock boxes and cable locks. I cringe at the thought of someone walking away with one of my trail cams. First cam will be a 10 minute drive from home.. With another 2 1/2 hour hike to reach the location. Second one still gotta find a spot, region 3 most likely.

Another question for you all. Would it be a waste to put out salt this time of year?
Any thing else I can use to get some deer in front of the camera?

Oh yeah. Just got home from wt hunting. Saw two solid bucks but couldn't get a good shot. Oh well.

Put out something tasty/sweet.