PDA

View Full Version : Why, oh why, do they have to run down hill

Slinky Pickle
11-14-2016, 08:28 PM
Went out to my whitetail spot this morning. I had seen a decent buck on my trail cam and was hoping to come across him today. I got to my hidey hole and set up. For some reason I decided not to bother rattling or grunting today so I just used the doe bleat every once in a while.

From my spot I can see about 500 yards in most directions. I glassed and sat and glassed and sat. Eventually I succumbed to the evil smart phone and starting playing crib to pass the time. At one point I looked up and there was a small buck coming at me. He looked like he was trying to find his love struck doe and wasn't paying much attention to anything else. He kept coming... and coming... and coming. I quickly played over my options in my head. I have two really nice mulie bucks on another trail cam and I really want to spend some time looking for them. The big whitetail that I had seen on my camera was still nocturnal and I doubted I would see him in day light any time soon. So, little guy, your time is up.

He was quartered towards me at about 40 yards and was looking right at me. He started to get a bit twitchy and stomped a couple of times. It was now or never so I set the cross hairs tight against the back of his front shoulder and pulled the trigger. Good story so far? Well from here it all goes to crap!

He turned and ran. He didn't' jump, flinch, stumble or anything. He just ran. As he was going out of sight I tried to make another shot on him but I'm pretty sure that shot missed. He ran over a hill towards the tree line and disappeared. I sat there wondering what had just happened.

He didn't react like I had hit him at all. 40 yards, how could I miss that? Surely I must have hit him... didn't I? I sat pondering all the possibilities. He looked healthy as heck when I last saw him go over the hill so I figured I would sit for a bit and give him some time. After twiddling my thumbs for about 15 minutes I got up and decided to head to where he had stood when I shot him. I made my way over and although there were tracks, none looked really fresh and no where could I find any torn up earth, blood or hair. Once I had wandered around that spot for a bit I headed to where I had last seen him and figured I would try and find the track there.

As I crested the hill he had gone over I secretly hoped to see him laying between there and the tree line. I looked around and didn't' see him anywhere. At that point I thought I had buggered up really bad and I needed to leave him longer. It was a slow walk back to the truck while I sulked and pouted. How the heck can I miss a 40 yard shot? What the heck went wrong?

I knew I could get the truck closer to the spot where I had last seen him so I slowly drove back to where I thought would be the best spot to start searching from. Once I got there, I parked and dug out some recovery gear and started to search. At this point I had seen no blood, no tracks and no hair.

I walked along the tree line peering into the bush looking for that telltale shape and colour. I walked about 100 yards along the treeline and then turned back and went 100 yards the other way. After seeing nothing, I figured I would walk in about 10 or 15 yards and then walk the same path parallel to the treeline. After passing the same distance either way, I stepped in another 15 yards or so and repeated my path. All of a sudden I saw the shape I was looking for. It was twisted and bent over a stump with it's antlers sticking up out of the dirt. Breathing a sigh of relief, I headed towards my buck. As I got to within 10 yards my excitement turned to dread again. That darn tree root looked exactly like a dead deer piled up over a stump and the light coloured sticks poking out looked just like antlers. I was back to square one.

I moved another 15 yards into the bush and started my parallel path again. Finally on this run I cut a buck track! It had rained last night but wasn't currently raining. This track was very definitely a post rain track and it was headed down hill hard. I abandoned my grid path and started to follow this very fresh track. Step by step I followed the tracks down the hill and deeper into the bush. There was still no blood and no sign it had bedded and bled out. Was this my buck or just another buck track that was pulling me away from mine?

Step by step I kept following these tracks. I was nearing a spot where it went from steep to insanely steep. Please, don't let him be down there! Just as I got to the edge, there was as my buck. He was stone dead and had been for a while. If I play it out in my mind, from where I shot him to where he ended up, he probably lived for less than a minute. The bullet had gone in his right side a bit far back and had taken out his liver and a few other less vital bits. He was laying entry side up. There was still absolutely no blood around him. The second shot had missed completely.

After cutting my tag, I knelt down and proceeded to open him up. As soon as I got the gut cavity open it was obvious that he had quickly bled out internally but none of it had escaped through the entry wound. I quickly gutted him and then prepared for the ugly drag back up the hill that was waiting for me. I figured I could either take him up in one piece or quarter him and make multiple trips. My engineering background told me that to move a given amount of weight a given height in a given time requires X amount of horsepower. If I take half the weight but take twice as much time it's still the same amount of horsepower output. Ok, intact it is!

It took this big, out of shape fat guy two hours to get him up that hill. By the time I got him to the treeline it felt as if I had pretty much consumed all the oxygen in the area and I was spent. I still had to get him to the truck though. At least the last bit was flat and it seemed like it took almost no effort compared to what it took to get him up the hill. Finally at the truck it was one last heave and in he went.

He's now dressed and hanging in my shop. What a morning! Just to reiterate, at no time during the entire search did I ever see a single drop of blood. It was only by careful and methodical searching (and a butt load of luck) that I managed to even find his track. Following the track was really the only thing I had left to try and thankfully it worked out. It could have gone so much worse. The bottom line is that if I hadn't found those tracks, I don't think I would have found that deer. It's as simple as that.

Ok, it's 1:20 so it's time for a beer! Here's a pic to prove that it happened. :)

http://i65.tinypic.com/mhufzk.jpg

Thanks for hanging in until the end.

Slinky Pickle

boxhitch
11-14-2016, 09:06 PM
Good buck and a good followup, attago.
gotta trust the shot,

After twiddling my thumbs for about 15 minutes felt like an hour I bet

HarryToolips
11-14-2016, 09:07 PM
Way to go!

Fisher-Dude
11-14-2016, 09:10 PM
Good job! Perseverance pays off!

Your story is a perfect ethics lesson for any new hunter (and a few not-so-new hunters that need a reminder).

Blainer
11-14-2016, 09:13 PM
Great work!

scoutlt1
11-14-2016, 09:16 PM
Great story and nice buck! Congrats!!!

Ddog
11-14-2016, 09:34 PM
yup,,gotta love when they go down hill,,at least it wasn't a moose or an elk. Good job dragging him out though,,you need a buddy like i have,,call em up and say ,,,Got 1,,,and the answer is ..you need help?....i say yes,,,,he says on my way.. 30 minutes later we be dragging' the deer together.. yup. Oh ya and the deluxe carts from Cabelas are awesome help.

Slinky Pickle
11-14-2016, 09:46 PM
you need a buddy like i have,,call em up and say ,,,Got 1,,,and the answer is ..you need help?....i say yes,,,,he says on my way.. 30 minutes later we be dragging' the deer together

I do have a buddy like that. Unfortunately, he just left for Mexico so this one had to be solo. I'm sure that he and I will pack plenty more out in the future.

Ddog
11-14-2016, 09:48 PM
puffftttt,,,Mexico during hunting,,,,puffftttt,,,no morals..LOL ;)

Slinky Pickle
11-14-2016, 10:13 PM
puffftttt,,,Mexico during hunting,,,,puffftttt,,,no morals..LOL ;)

Well, he actually stopped off in Utah to chase some mule deer so I can't really fault him too badly. :cool:

Norwestalta
11-14-2016, 10:22 PM
Nice buck and a heckuva a good job tracking him and doing your part to recover him.

Omenator
11-14-2016, 10:30 PM
Good reminder story. I'm happy for both your sake and the deer that your tracking skills are good enough that you were able to recover him. Would be bad to kill a buck and not be able to find it, then assume you'd never hit it in the first place.

adriaticum
11-14-2016, 10:32 PM
Ha,ha great job stinky nickle

Buckmeister
11-14-2016, 10:33 PM
Heck of workout eh Grant? Congrats on a successful hunt and for persevering! I have been fortunate that my bucks have either dropped on the spot or ran/walked a short distance uphill. Now go and get one of them mule bucks, but save the other one for me. ;)

BStrachan
11-14-2016, 10:39 PM
Good on ya for not giving up. Glad you found your deer. I bet that beer tasted really good after hauling the deer up the hill. Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Stone Sheep Steve
11-14-2016, 10:41 PM
Congrats and thanks for taking the time to share your adventure!

If its uphill at any point, I'll opt for the pack out in pieces. Heck, I did that for my Muley this year and it was all downhill. Getting too old for injuries.

SSS

RiverOtter
11-15-2016, 05:51 AM
Congrats on your deer and not giving up the search.

Quick question. If you had the first shot to do over, would you take the point of shoulder and most likely get to skip the tracking part? Not sure what bullet you were using, but was that a factor in your shot placement choice?

Not judging your choice, as it's 100% yours to make.

Rhyno
11-15-2016, 07:25 AM
Good job! Perseverance pays off!

Your story is a perfect ethics lesson for any new hunter (and a few not-so-new hunters that need a reminder).

Yes it is! I always wonder about those "how did I miss" stories, I am sure there is a dead critter in most instances that is never found. Always suprised how far some animals will run with double lung shots and how little blood they leak!

Congrats and great effort on the recovery.

Wild one
11-15-2016, 07:44 AM
Congrats and glad your effort paid off

Again prim example why you need to put in the effort to confirm any shot taken. Also shows why tracking beyond just blood trailing is important. As you showed when in doubt grid search

Any rookies reading this thread should take note on how this played out

Slinky Pickle
11-15-2016, 08:58 AM
If you had the first shot to do over, would you take the point of shoulder and most likely get to skip the tracking part? Not sure what bullet you were using, but was that a factor in your shot placement choice?

Very good points. If I had a do-over there's probably a few things I would consider. First off, I don't think bullet choice would have made much of a difference. In my case it was all about bullet placement (or lack of).

This is pretty much the shot that was presented to me.

https://www.hunter-ed.com/images/drawings/wildlife_deer_quartering_toward.jpg
I didn't want to mess up the front shoulder so I tried to sneak it just behind it but as tight as I could get it. I was shooting off hand and I ended up with an entry point that was back from where I had planned. In saving the front should, I kind of ended up making a bit of a mess of the rear, left hip. :-( In hind sight, I probably should have taken it just forward of the near shoulder and he would have been done right there. I'm not usually into head or neck shots so the frontal shot was likely my best option.

rifleman
11-15-2016, 08:58 AM
good for you on being so persistent... great recovery.. gunna be a good eatin buck, he was dead on impact... do you have any more pics?
looks like a hybrid??

Budman
11-15-2016, 09:12 AM
Good on you for sticking it out. You now have a nice meat buck for the freezer . Thanks for the story and picks.

Travalanche
11-15-2016, 09:48 AM
Nice work and cool story! What did you hit him with?

Timbow
11-15-2016, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the adventure. It does take persistence to be rewarded sometimes. Like others have commented, you have done exactly what everyone who has taken a shot at a live animal should do, exhaust every possible avenue.

Now it's muley time!

finngun
11-15-2016, 11:53 AM
Good work,,s.p if i have deer in my aim like that,,i think my aim will be bottom of the white area on chest,,no messing shoulders..hitting most likely spine..and quite mess inside..gutless cleaning is a must
oh well but that is just me..how i can know.:roll:

RadHimself
11-15-2016, 12:23 PM
i'd have aimed at the bottom of the white neck patch.....

never done a gutless method job

if its an uphill pack i usually gut them as they lay, then cut in at the 3rd rib, split it in half, stuff it in my eberlestock and start climbin

Wagonmaster
11-15-2016, 12:56 PM
Not criticizing, as I wasn't there to see the terrain or the distance, but I think I would have grabbed four small game bags when back at the truck and stuffed them in my pack. Gut deer as usual, then skin around the legs and skin out the body where it lay so that the hide almost acts like a tarp underneath. Take out the filets, cut off the back straps and separate shoulders and legs into four quarters. Pack half a deer to the truck in two trips. That would have significantly altered the weight component in your formula and may not have changed the time factor all that much. All ready to process. Assuming you had time to do this before dark.

Wagonmaster
11-15-2016, 12:59 PM
P.S. Congratulations on meat in the freezer and on your perseverance in locating your buck.

mastercaster
11-15-2016, 03:00 PM
Not criticizing, as I wasn't there to see the terrain or the distance, but I think I would have grabbed four small game bags when back at the truck and stuffed them in my pack. Gut deer as usual, then skin around the legs and skin out the body where it lay so that the hide almost acts like a tarp underneath. Take out the filets, cut off the back straps and separate shoulders and legs into four quarters. Pack half a deer to the truck in two trips. That would have significantly altered the weight component in your formula and may not have changed the time factor all that much. All ready to process. Assuming you had time to do this before dark.

You could do exactly what you suggested without even touching the guts,,,,saves time, too. That's why the gutless method is ideal for those longer distance extractions. You should be able to get almost any two point out in one trip if you're not overly concerned about leaving the small amount of meat found between the ribs in the bush. If you really want to make it easy on your self,,,,make two trips, especially if you have tons of daylight left. If you're just using a day pack, two trips is probably a given, unless it's a smaller deer.

I took two deer out this year with a Badlands Super Day pack but I had to bear hug out one of the quarter bags in a pillow case. Saved me having to make a second trip, though, so it was worth it.

todbartell
11-15-2016, 03:43 PM
nice happy ending, congrats on your buck. I hit a young 4x4 mule deer behind the shoulder once, thought he was broadside but apparently not. Tagged one lung, liver, exited the back of the ribs. He ran about 50 yards and piled up, not a drop of blood on the ground. And that was a 416 Rem Mag with a 350gr Speer MagTip! (was moose hunting ;-) )

Salty
11-15-2016, 04:05 PM
I shot a white tail that didn't leak one frickin drop that I could find. Found tracks where it was standing and quickly lost them it was a river bottom and there were tracks all over the place. Eventually found it about 100 yards away I gutted that one and the cavity was full of blood. I had just clipped one lung and shot the aorta off of the top of the heart a good shot you would think but no bleeding outside the hide at all. Funny things happen sometimes..

Wagonmaster
11-15-2016, 04:12 PM
Mastercaster, using the gutless method you suggest in post #29, how do you get at the filets?

Backwoods
11-15-2016, 04:27 PM
Great harvest, congratulations on an awesome experience!! Thanks for sharing

RiverOtter
11-15-2016, 08:01 PM
Mastercaster, using the gutless method you suggest in post #29, how do you get at the filets?

Not sure how others do it,but I open the cavity just below the tenders and reach inside and remove.

mastercaster
11-15-2016, 09:29 PM

When I first started doing this methos a few years ago that part of the process was tricky for me even though i'd see guys on youtube do it with ease. The first few deer I did as someone else suggested, ,,,,just cut the belly, let the stomach fall out and cut the tenderloins out BUT last season I was bound and determine to do it the 'right' way so the last 6-7 deer I've done I went in below the spine. You just use the back of your hand to push the stomach down (note: it helps to have the belly on the downhill slope), then get in there with your knife to carefully cut the end of the tenderloin and gently pull it out towards the back end of the deer and then just finish by cutting the end of it out. I cut out one at a time, same as the backstrap from the side I'm cutting the quarters from.

I can't see myself using any other field dressing method than the gutless method now,,,,, even when I'm close to the road. Everything I don't want gets left in the bush and the meat that is taken home is all set to butcher without anymore prep. Sure cools the meat down faster which which is desirable.

albravo2
11-15-2016, 10:06 PM
Slinky,

Great post, and a testament to your ethics and experience. I'm sure your buddy had a good chuckle when he heard you had to haul it out yourself. That right there is friendship!