PDA

View Full Version : need new insoles ... which ones?

twoSevenO
11-14-2016, 06:08 PM
After a few hrs in my new Lowa Tibet boots my heels feel like i've been walking on concrete barefoot. I might want to try aftermarket insoles to see if it solves the problem. Any recommendations? Superfeet seem to be popular, but even they make multiple models.

never had this problem with my Meindls i think their insoles with the cork on the bottom is infinitely better than whatever Lowas have in them ...

stro52
11-14-2016, 06:17 PM
I wore out the insoles in my hiking boots and immediately bought some Superfeet orange. Work great and feel great, I'm heavy at 230 lbs so needed the orange to put up with my weight. If you do go this route make sure you get the right size as they come in different lengths.

Rhyno
11-14-2016, 07:17 PM
I like the "carbon" super feet, I had the orange ones but they squeaked! Drove me crazy. I found that my Tibets required a fair bit of a break in.

Kopper
11-14-2016, 07:36 PM
I can't give an insole recommendation because I never had that problem with my Tibets! I'd also suggest alittle more break in time; those high end mtn boots need it sometimes.

twoSevenO
11-14-2016, 09:17 PM
i thought about that too .... i've only had them since last month. But they only seem uncomfortable in the soles. Like i'm walking on concrete. I feel like everything else has begun to break in well. Did you have issues with a hard sole as well in the beginning?

Kopper
11-14-2016, 10:06 PM
i thought about that too .... i've only had them since last month. But they only seem uncomfortable in the soles. Like i'm walking on concrete. I feel like everything else has begun to break in well. Did you have issues with a hard sole as well in the beginning?
Yes! I remember thinking my soles were tough so I had to ask some mtn hunters about it too. Maybe I've just got used to it but my Scarpa's were also hard, now both the Lowa and Scarpa's are as comfy as insulated crocs :). The Lowa's really needed a good goat hunt to finish breaking in tho....

okas
11-14-2016, 10:57 PM
Bison wool

Squamch
11-15-2016, 08:10 AM
I have a pair of tibets and in the store trying them on, said to the guy that they felt great, except for the iron yard insoles. So I got a pair of the superfeet guide insoles. Camo pattern, cause you can never be too sneaky. One 20km hike and they are totally punched out. Zero cushion remaining in the contact areas. I do have really high arches though, so I always end up killing the heel and ball sections before any other part is worn. Either way, for $40, I'm not impressed.
The boots are pretty comfy after 100km or so though!

BRvalley
11-15-2016, 09:58 AM
the insoles that come with these boots are junk, almost to the point of being comical...I use these insoles in my tibets, very comfortable

https://www.sofsole.com/product/Athlete

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
11-15-2016, 07:51 PM
i second the Carbon super feet . they are the best i have ever used . and i have used them all .

twoSevenO
11-15-2016, 08:05 PM
thanks for all the feedback guys, appreciate it! :)

RiverOtter
11-15-2016, 08:33 PM
Check out Sole footbeds, far superior to Super Feet, IMO. They come in various thicknesses, depending on your foot volume and application. The best feature is the stiff heal cup that keeps your foot bolted to your boot. I run them in my work and hiking boots.
http://www.theinsolestore.com/sole-custom-insoles.html

wsquared
11-16-2016, 09:41 AM
I'll second the recommendation of SOLE footbeds. They are moldable to your feet, easy process. I use the thicker ones in my hiking boots, excellent support.

twoSevenO
06-25-2017, 05:02 PM
I think i will have to try the SOLE insoles next. Do you guys know who sells them locally?

I just did an overnight hike to Greendrop with the Lowa Tibets and my feet were hurting again. No sore spots or blisters or anything like that ... just felt like the entire bottom of the boot was a steel plate..... Still disappointing since the hike to Greendrop is only 6km.

I had the Orange superfeet insoles in them and to be honest, they might have felt even a little bit worse than the stock ones. UGH. I never had this issue with my Meindls and their cork insoles.

Anyways .... Who carries the SOLE insoles locally that I can go and try out?

Thanks guys!

RiverOtter
06-25-2017, 07:58 PM
Depends where you call "Local"....haha

Red Top in Vernon BC has the best selection, but Fisher's hardware(Canada's Meindl dealer) also has a couple styles in stock.

twoSevenO
06-25-2017, 10:19 PM
Depends where you call "Local"....haha

Red Top in Vernon BC has the best selection, but Fisher's hardware(Canada's Meindl dealer) also has a couple styles in stock.

My bad ... i didn't realize it wasn't showing my location on here. I'm in the LML.

I think i'm also going to have to switch back to the old Meindls that never gave me any trouble and see how my feet feel in them. if i start feeling the same, i might be having plantar fasciitis .... that wouldn't be good.

Squamch
06-26-2017, 06:47 AM
I have the Sole ones in my tibets now. They're great!
I did in the neighbourhood of 20km yesterday in them, and now that they're finally broken in (and they definitely weren't when I last posted about them, despite my comments) They are really comfy. They were not fun to get to where they are though.
It's possible that they just aren't gonna work for you though, that's just boots!

Edited to add- bought mine at marks work wearhouse.

71_camaro
06-26-2017, 08:22 AM
If you have extended medical from work get custom made orthotics.mine were fully covered.just need a doctors note for sore feet.

kitnayakwa77
06-26-2017, 11:06 AM
I had a pair of the Lowa Cevedale GTX's and experienced the same thing. Just plain old uncomfortable under foot.

......They fell apart after 4 months of use (heel seam ripped open on each boot allowing dirt and debris into the boot)......never again will I buy Lowa......it was like pulling teeth to get warranty on those things.

wideopenthrottle
06-26-2017, 11:22 AM
I have a very hard time finding footwear as I have slightly wide size 12/13 with slightly high arch.....For running shoes, Aasics are the only brand that seems to fit (at least in the shoes I try on for less than 200 bucks)....work boots these days have zero support...I am on my 3rd set of workboots with the same set of the superfoot green insoles and am amazed how comfy they still are....I will have to give the "SOLE" brand a try...one thing I heard mentioned on a previous thread about the hard type insoles is that they will cut through the lining on your expensive boots if you use them so be careful of that....

twoSevenO
06-26-2017, 03:18 PM
I have the Sole ones in my tibets now. They're great!
I did in the neighbourhood of 20km yesterday in them, and now that they're finally broken in (and they definitely weren't when I last posted about them, despite my comments) They are really comfy. They were not fun to get to where they are though.
It's possible that they just aren't gonna work for you though, that's just boots!

Edited to add- bought mine at marks work wearhouse.

Which sole insoles do you have, exactly? They make quite a few models.

Yes, you might be right .... the boots just might not be for me. But that would be disappointing as they don't otherwise cause me blisters or anything like that .... just an unbearably hard sole to walk on.

I think custom orthodics or even the cork insoles from my Meindls won't work, unfortunately, as the Lowa Tibets are quite shallow. If i put customs in or the Meindl ones my heel would be up past the heel cup and that would lead to other kinds of issues. It's too bad the stock insole is as thin as it is in these boots.

Ride Red
06-26-2017, 04:20 PM
I've been using custom insoles from Kintec for the last 10 years now. Superfeet were my go to, but there's nothing like a custom fit. Kintec films you walking on a treadmill (bare foot) to see if you have any specific adjustments that apply to each individual foot. Once you have custom footbeds made, you won't look back. I've torn my right plantar fascia on a hunt which is very painful and proper footbeds really help keep your feet supported. I'm using these in my Kenetrek boots without issue.

SR80
06-27-2017, 06:55 AM
have you tired a thicker sock with more cushion? If you don't have enough volume in the boot try a thinner insole with the thicker sock. As mentioned before the insoles that come in new boots are basically just for show and should be tossed out. Anytime ive bought new boots ive always put in a pair of orange or green super feet, and then usually have to try a few different socks to find which works best with that boot, and then stick with those specific socks with that boot.

khoffnbud
06-27-2017, 01:40 PM
Immediately tossed the ones that came in my grand drus, so far I'm very pleased with the superfeet greens.

Vancityrider
06-27-2017, 02:16 PM
Sole insoles are the only things that live in all my boots. I tried everything made out there because of my flat, hockey feet and they are the only ones that make my feet smile like a ripple in a bucket of swell. As for location, you can get them at Kinetic on Broadway and Alder or The Right Foot on 4th and Fir. I spend 10-12 hours in my work boots on concrete and they are pillows. So when hunting, walking around for hours is a breeze. Be careful about the thickness though. I'd suggest you bring your foot wear. They make 3 thicknesses, I personally use the thickest, because of my fallen arches, however try them. They have a 90 day tryout period where if you don't like them simply bring them back and get your money back. They last a long time as well, they don't pack out like superfeet either. One pair will out last 2 pairs of work boots for me. Also, they can be heated and moulded to your feet, however I like to plop them in and break them in with new boots and let them form that way to my feet.

Squamch
06-27-2017, 03:44 PM
Which sole insoles do you have, exactly? They make quite a few models.

Yes, you might be right .... the boots just might not be for me. But that would be disappointing as they don't otherwise cause me blisters or anything like that .... just an unbearably hard sole to walk on.

I think custom orthodics or even the cork insoles from my Meindls won't work, unfortunately, as the Lowa Tibets are quite shallow. If i put customs in or the Meindl ones my heel would be up past the heel cup and that would lead to other kinds of issues. It's too bad the stock insole is as thin as it is in these boots.

I don't know, there was only one option when I bougbt them.

twoSevenO
06-27-2017, 06:31 PM
have you tired a thicker sock with more cushion? If you don't have enough volume in the boot try a thinner insole with the thicker sock. As mentioned before the insoles that come in new boots are basically just for show and should be tossed out. Anytime ive bought new boots ive always put in a pair of orange or green super feet, and then usually have to try a few different socks to find which works best with that boot, and then stick with those specific socks with that boot.

Yeah, i generally go with thicker socks even in summer. I will try the Sole insoles and if that doesn't make it any better, i will just give up on them and maybe keep them around for as day-hikers.

ajr5406
06-27-2017, 07:26 PM
Sole insoles are the only things that live in all my boots. I tried everything made out there because of my flat, hockey feet and they are the only ones that make my feet smile like a ripple in a bucket of swell. As for location, you can get them at Kinetic on Broadway and Alder or The Right Foot on 4th and Fir. I spend 10-12 hours in my work boots on concrete and they are pillows. So when hunting, walking around for hours is a breeze. Be careful about the thickness though. I'd suggest you bring your foot wear. They make 3 thicknesses, I personally use the thickest, because of my fallen arches, however try them. They have a 90 day tryout period where if you don't like them simply bring them back and get your money back. They last a long time as well, they don't pack out like superfeet either. One pair will out last 2 pairs of work boots for me. Also, they can be heated and moulded to your feet, however I like to plop them in and break them in with new boots and let them form that way to my feet.

Have you had any problems with the kintec insoles fitting in your boots? I have kintec orthotics that I keep in my running shoes but when I use them in my Meindl Alaskan Hunters, the orthotics are too narrow at the heel and slip side to side so I can't use them.

RiverOtter
06-27-2017, 09:03 PM
The "Black/Red" Soles are the thickest and what I prefer. However, depending on foot volume/boot volume, you may need the Red or Grey module.
They also make nubuk leather topped ones with ventilation holes that work awesome in my Hanwag Alaskans.

Best advice is take your boots and hiking socks to a Sole dealer and figure it out in store.

Squamch
06-28-2017, 06:45 AM
The "Black/Red" Soles are the thickest and what I prefer. However, depending on foot volume/boot volume, you may need the Red or Grey module.
They also make nubuk leather topped ones with ventilation holes that work awesome in my Hanwag Alaskans.

Best advice is take your boots and hiking socks to a Sole dealer and figure it out in store.

Ah, I pulled mine out to look for identifiers, and there's none to be found...but they are black and red!
They are also still totally cushy, when the superfeet ones were flat in no time.

RiverOtter
06-28-2017, 02:46 PM
They last waaaay longer than they should. Eventually I will wear through the cover fabric and into the foam, in the ball of the big toe area, but thay takes a few years IME.