PDA

View Full Version : Fighting discouragement

nwalter
11-13-2016, 09:00 PM
Will start off by saying I have had my CORE since 2010. The first 2 years resulted in some success with a white tail doe and a small 2 pt buck. I am not by any means picky and have just take the first legal animal I have seen.
With beginner luck long in the past the amount of game I have come across is very minimal and most of the time not in season.
This weekend I spent 3 days out and saw 2 legal bucks but one was in a full run and the other about 200 yards and inside the tree line with only a head shot possibility which I opted against.

now for the question for the folks who have been hunting for a while and gone through a dry spell, is how do you go about working through it and not just packing away the hunting gear for good

Clearly I do know there is something I am not doing right because I know no one in a similar drought that I am

Corb89
11-13-2016, 09:09 PM
if your thinking about packing it up...your heart just isn't in it my friend. I go simply to get out...im a shit hunter..very rarely come home with any meat. yet i can't wait for the weekend to come just so i can come home empty handed again...and in the offseason..all i do is dream of opening day.
get your head right if you want to be out there.
as for tips on being more successful..im sure the other boys can help.

Jack Russell
11-13-2016, 09:10 PM
Despite the rut being on, its not that easy right now so keep at it (warm weather, little or no snow, 4 point season etc.) You've seen 2 legal bucks in three days - you shouldn't complain.

You have to enjoy getting out and love the feel of the chase.

The rest happens.

dmaxtech
11-13-2016, 09:15 PM
2 bucks in 3 days ain't bad. I've spend 8 days out this season and have only seen does and a sow with cubs. Sounds like you just need a few more days and you will connect.

dustybeat
11-13-2016, 09:15 PM
I've spent 2 weeks in the bush this year and countless nights after work. Spent a week last year in Christian valley. Have yet to see any ungulates well on foot.
Came within 20 yards of a grizzly up near hudson hope in september and alot of grouse.
It depends on what kinda outlook you have on life. If you need the instant gratification of cutting your tags it might be a bit harder to find joy in just being out in the woods.
For me personally I have had no one to bring me under their wing and show me the ropes which really discouraged me from hunting at a younger age.
Now I have a 3 year old son and all I want, is for him to grow up so we can hunt together. Haha
No one ever became proficient at anything over night.
The old saying ten thousand hours comes mind.
In my opinion if your seeing deer well you are hiking you are doing something right :D

whitlers
11-13-2016, 09:16 PM
It's not all about bringing home game. Half the fun is getting out of the house, putting your boots on the ground and exploring our beautiful backcountry. Start falling in love with nature and you will be surprised that there is alot more to hunting than one might think!

Keep at it!

Warcry
11-13-2016, 09:16 PM
Never give up. My wife chuckles when I tell her I'm going out hunting.she refers to it as "hiking with weapons ". I'm in my 3rd year and still no closer to my first big animal kill. Take your time it's all about the journey .

Whonnock Boy
11-13-2016, 09:18 PM
Everyone goes through dry spells, albeit related to their own successes. Base your success on knowledge gained, and quality time spent in the great outdoors. Keep on tryin'.

dmaxtech
11-13-2016, 09:20 PM
Never give up. My wife chuckles when I tell her I'm going out hunting.she refers to it as "hiking with weapons ". I'm in my 3rd year and still no closer to my first big animal kill. Take your time it's all about the journey .
I can relate. My buddy at work says I don't hunt, I hike in the woods with a rifle.

luger
11-13-2016, 09:25 PM
Keep at it and you will figure it out. It's all about right weather, right place and right time of year. Learn how the animals travel through a area and you will find success and a full freezer.

monasheemountainman
11-13-2016, 09:27 PM
If you have to ask you probably should pack it in. The call of the wild and just being out in the wilderness is enough to justify me buying thousands of dollars worth of gear (over the years), spend weeks away from my family, and get snowed and rained on all day. It should be part of you, and if it's not, then that's cool....what guns you got to give away?

luger
11-13-2016, 09:29 PM
It's not all about bringing home game. Half the fun is getting out of the house, putting your boots on the ground and exploring our beautiful backcountry. Start falling in love with nature and you will be surprised that there is alot more to hunting than one might think!

Keep at it!

So right! I spent the last saturday hiking 12 km and into the alpine in a foot of snow. We didn't see a deer, just sign, but we had a ton of fun and now get to plan the next trip up there, probably will be early season next year to see how game is moving around then.

whognu
11-13-2016, 09:30 PM
If you have to ask you probably should pack it in. The call of the wild and just being out in the wilderness is enough to justify me buying thousands of dollars worth of gear (over the years), spend weeks away from my family, and get snowed and rained on all day. It should be part of you, and if it's not, then that's cool....what guns you got to give away?

what he said.........

HarryToolips
11-13-2016, 09:30 PM
I'm in the woods hiking around and doing other stuff year round, cause I love being in the woods....hunting season is just a bonus, cause I get to actually shoot a legal animal if I see one....just enjoy being out there, too many noobies on this site just expecting that they'll nail something every season - doesn't just work that way, gotta put the time in and have a bit of luck..if ya can't enjoy just being out there to be out there, the reality is, quit cause hunting ain't for you..

Wild one
11-13-2016, 09:33 PM
Don't go out hunting planning on shooting anything go out with the mind set of learning about the areas and the species you hunt. I am happy just seeing the species I am targeting

If you go out and focuse long term gaining knowledge things get easier. If you dwell on success you will get frustrated. Every time I gain knowledge on a species or area I know my odds of success increase

Slow down and think in years not days.

brian
11-13-2016, 09:47 PM
Discouragement what a word. When I feel discouraged about my lack of success in bringing home meat I will assume it is %100 my fault, I wasn't a good enough hunter to get er done. This doesn't get me down because it means I go home and I study more, I pour over maps, I read more about the prey species, I try to think of new approaches, I try to break bad habits... it simply goes on and on and on. That is how I deal with discouragement, I try to become a better hunter. I have been fortunate to have been fairly successful by my standards in my last few seasons. It is really coming together. But I still blunder a lot and feel like a total newb out there half the time. Still it only takes a brief moment on a single animal and your hunt changes dramatically. You won't have those single moments if you give up early.

scotty30-06
11-13-2016, 10:02 PM
Yea man its in your blood....you got all the gear and interest....remember it's in your blood...other wise you would be doing a number of other things other then being a hunter

markathome
11-13-2016, 10:11 PM
Two bucks - one a possible shooter? Damn man - you're light years ahead of us moldy coasties chasing blacktails. Come on up to Squamish and I'll take you on a tour of nothing - literally. Days and days and days of nothing. Hike and hike and hike and nothing but a smirking wife and an empty gas tank. My entire season two years ago consisted of one un-shootable doe. On the road, in town. Granted I did commit to hunting only within a one hour drive of my house.

It's tough to keep things in perspective with the omnipresence of social media. Social media tends to compress the hunting experience in a like, insta or tweet and doesn't really give hunting the full depth, colour, smells and flavours it deserves. That's one of the reasons why I like this forum more than the FB page - there's connection and interaction - not just consumption. So if you're seeing lots of posts with cranker bucks and successful hunters and it's getting you down - remember that three weeks ago, those same guys weren't posting pics of the salad bar they demolished because the freezer was empty.

When I talk to the old farts who've been hunting before I was born, I'm guessing over the 12 weekends of hunting season and the one hunt camp (moose) they were swinging about a 70% rate of tagging out. But that's after years of figuring out spots, being mentored by elders and taking down bucks before they could drive. If you're like me, a late adopter - you got a learning curve.

Keep at it. Sounds like you've got your spot already. It'll happen - if not this year - maybe next.

VirgilOfTheWoods
11-13-2016, 10:14 PM
Don't get discouraged. I just got my CORE this year and have not seen a single deer either. Hiking with a rifle is a great way of putting it for my wife :lol:. Best advice I've been given is to put in your time and enjoy the ride. My hope is I learn enough to pass on to my sons when they come of age (they're babies now). Best of luck.

whognu
11-13-2016, 10:23 PM
Will start off by saying I have had my CORE since 2010. The first 2 years resulted in some success with a white tail doe and a small 2 pt buck. I am not by any means picky and have just take the first legal animal I have seen.
With beginner luck long in the past the amount of game I have come across is very minimal and most of the time not in season.
This weekend I spent 3 days out and saw 2 legal bucks but one was in a full run and the other about 200 yards and inside the tree line with only a head shot possibility which I opted against.

now for the question for the folks who have been hunting for a while and gone through a dry spell, is how do you go about working through it and not just packing away the hunting gear for good

Clearly I do know there is something I am not doing right because I know no one in a similar drought that I am

hunting is frustrating; sometimes this frustration can be measured in hours, sometimes for days, and as you note sometimes for a whole season

the key, as others have noted, is to take all your daily observations and use this to constantly fine tune your methods

for most of us who don't live anywhere near where we hunt there is a good dose of luck involved in connecting on a 2-3 day hunt

each year your odds will increase, partly though knowledge gained and partly through time spent in the bush

given your choice to pass on low percentage shots I believe you are an honorable and respectful hunter

(I hope your need for success does not change this)

given past successes it seems like you have done many things right

just do more of them...........and less of the stuff that doesn't

snow is coming; whitey rut's on the way; cut a single track and follow through the timber till you find who is standing in them

or set up a blind and wait them out

either way, good luck for the rest of the season

whognu

mpotzold
11-13-2016, 10:26 PM

Couldn't agree more!
My friend it seems like your heart is not in it.

LT (LOVER 308 ) & I have been the best of friends & hunting companions for 50 years even though he lives in PG & I live in Vancouver. He was brought up in northern Alberta & I in northern Ontario. We both started hunting when very young & never looked back. We met at SFU 66/67 winter. Started hunting the Pemberton/Birken/D'Arcy area then to the Cariboo & northern BC.

We got out into the woods as much as possible sacrificing considerable school time.

We both agreed that we had to be a good part Neanderthal (born hunters!).

Getting out into the woods away from civilization, chasing animals, confronting dangerous animals & sitting by the roaring campfire imbibing in our favourite being sometimes serenaded by the wolves was our high.

Shooting an animal & bringing back the meat was simply a bonus.

albravo2
11-13-2016, 11:03 PM
Two bucks - one a possible shooter? Damn man - you're light years ahead of us moldy coasties chasing blacktails. Come on up to Squamish and I'll take you on a tour of nothing - literally. Days and days and days of nothing. Hike and hike and hike and nothing but a smirking wife and an empty gas tank. My entire season two years ago consisted of one un-shootable doe. On the road, in town. Granted I did commit to hunting only within a one hour drive of my house.

It's tough to keep things in perspective with the omnipresence of social media. Social media tends to compress the hunting experience in a like, insta or tweet and doesn't really give hunting the full depth, colour, smells and flavours it deserves. That's one of the reasons why I like this forum more than the FB page - there's connection and interaction - not just consumption. So if you're seeing lots of posts with cranker bucks and successful hunters and it's getting you down - remember that three weeks ago, those same guys weren't posting pics of the salad bar they demolished because the freezer was empty.

When I talk to the old farts who've been hunting before I was born, I'm guessing over the 12 weekends of hunting season and the one hunt camp (moose) they were swinging about a 70% rate of tagging out. But that's after years of figuring out spots, being mentored by elders and taking down bucks before they could drive. If you're like me, a late adopter - you got a learning curve.

Keep at it. Sounds like you've got your spot already. It'll happen - if not this year - maybe next.

Maybe there is something in the water in Squamish. That sounds an awful lot like my first few years too.

I started to see more deer when I started driving to Pemberton, then I realized I live in a great town, but the hunting is tough. Every hunt season now included a trip to Fort Nelson, a couple to Prince George and at least a couple into region 5. Hunting is easier where the critters live;-)

To the OP, I will say you need to turn that discouragement into passion. Hunting and fishing is made for people that see a great adventure with or without a trip to the butcher. Good luck, still lots of season left and I have a feeling the weather is about to cool off and bring some snow.

adriaticum
11-13-2016, 11:34 PM
There is always Pokemon.

Potz you're so old.

shortrange
11-14-2016, 12:01 AM
It's all about putting the time in and enjoying the experience. Some of my best hunts ended with me drinking a Lucky back at the truck without having fired a shot. I won't lie. It is nice to get something, but it isn't the only reason to hunt or fish.

mpotzold
11-14-2016, 12:09 AM
There is always Pokemon.

Potz you're so old.
Still young enough to be the president.:razz:

IslandBC
11-14-2016, 12:12 AM

When I firsr started hunting I was tought humility. Your not going to connect on every hunt. Hang your head down low briefly but don't hang your gear up. Every hunt is a learning expearience

landphil
11-14-2016, 12:15 AM
By the end of last season I was ready to pack it in, two trips north last year - one moose draw with the family, where we saw very little for game (saw one bull in the distance just before dusk the second last evening with no luck in getting him), another trip a month later for a coveted Bison draw, and even after all that, and hunting locally, I couldn't break a two year dry spell. I didn't even shoot a darn grouse last year, but spent a crapload of $$.

After some thought, I decided to scale back a little on expenses and expectations, hunt locally this year, and focus on enjoying my time out. Tomorrow will only be my fifth day hunting this fall due to some other circumstances, but It's been a much better season. Yes, I got three grouse with two shots one afternoon, found a pair of moose sheds last weekend, but I'm not stressing about capitalizing on prize LEH authorizations, travel costs, etc. Will I do longer trips again? Sure, but in a more reasonable manner, and still focusing on enjoying the time afield.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-14-2016, 12:57 AM
I spent my first decade struggling to shoot small bucks and LEH does.
Keep at it. It's a steep learning curve.
Just never give up and try to find lessons when you don't succeed. There are no failures when you learn something

SSS

gutpile
11-14-2016, 02:07 AM
I look at this way , alot of times I don't get nothing and I feel discouraged but I say at least I don't have to butcher and clean up a mess , that's a positive bright side.

boxhitch
11-14-2016, 02:53 AM
Will start off by saying I have had my CORE since 2010. The first 2 years resulted in some success with a white tail doe and a small 2 pt buck.........
....This weekend I spent 3 days out and saw 2 legal bucks....... Sounds about right. clearly you are doing something right.
This weekend I had a buck coming in that just literally blew me off when the wind swirled, chalked that up as success.

Hunting or fishing, it's not a competition, you don't have to equal or beat anyone else.
But if it's not feeding your own inner soul..... well there is always golf

Squamch
11-14-2016, 08:18 AM
http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg630/rednecksamwise/02BFF8A5-9F54-4D1A-B747-131BB4A2B218_1.jpgLike everyone else has said...it's not about "killin' something."

If being on that mountain, looking at another 20 mountains all around you, doesn't make your heart feel right, hunting might not be for you. If you don't feel that need to go look around the next corner, or over that next hill, it might not be for you.

I am perpetually convinced that a monster buck is patiently waiting, broadside for me just over there, out of sight. But if he isn't there...I still have mornings like this, and that's why I'm out there. Because I just love being out there.

.264winmag
11-14-2016, 08:36 AM
20yrs active hunting for myself. Never shot a 4point mulie yet. Decided this year I would actively hunt mulies' around home region 4/8 instead of just randomly bumping into one. Missed two, one would have made book. 20yrs still no 4point, frustrating yes but that's what makes it fun. On the bright side I still have a tag and I'm in the game off to region 3 now. Hope I don't have to wait another 20yrs, but it if I do I have some great memories to tide me over...

Backwoods
11-14-2016, 08:56 AM
The struggle is real!!! Sounds like hunting, it has its ups and down that's for sure. Some days you seen game other times it goes months, depending on your scouting in the pre season you really can up your odds on a successful hunt by doing your homework pre season, as I look at it for me, hunting doesn't have a start and end date for me, during the end of the season I still go out after to find the buck n bulls in their winter range for shed hunting season, and documenting these areas and keeping note of what I had seen in an area, also out of season while scouting im
hutning wolves/coyotes, pre season come June, July I get out as much as possible as the bucks are reaching good antler growth to see if I'm interested in a buck if his potential keeps me coming back. All in all it's all about doing your homework! And never give up as this is tough going through dry spells and getting discouraged. The second you give up a bull or buck Will present itself and you won't be ready!! Keep at it man, try to enjoy the outdoors and keep positive it will happen! -Backwoods

mikeman20
11-14-2016, 11:13 AM
You saw two legal bucks in a weekend and you're discouraged?! I went to my secret "has tons of deer" spot and the largest thing I saw was an owl in 4 whole days of hunting!

avadad
11-14-2016, 12:16 PM
If you are thinking about quitting maybe its just not your thing. If you enjoy the time outside stick with it for that reason alone. When I first started hunting years ago the deer population was low compared to what it is now. I went 4 years before I saw a deer and it was 7 years before i shot my first buck. I don't remember wanting to quit, frustrated at times yes but I was spending time outside with my Dad (who is now gone) and brother. Neither of whom I hunt with any longer. Chin up, you're probably learning something new every time you venture out.

BigBanger
11-14-2016, 12:34 PM
Just being out in the hills, hearing the animals (even the noisy chipmunks) and breathing the fresh air is what keeps me going back for more. This past weekend I didn't harvest anything but it was one of the best trips this year. With the weather finally changing the animals were moving. I can't wait to get back out there this weekend. As others have said, its can't be all about the meat, you have to find joy in just being out there.

Good Luck..

Boner
11-14-2016, 02:04 PM
Might as well roll over and give up. The butchers sell lots of beef this time of the year. They have a back door for guys who don't want their buddies to see them. :)

J_T
11-14-2016, 02:45 PM
Hunting like life, has it's ups and downs, its good times and its down times. Sometimes what is hard is justifying to your partner/family that you need to hunt more, when they think you hunt too much for the reward. I think for most long time hunters they can reflect on years when harvests where slim. Animal populations fluctuated and a lot of us, kept hunting the same locations and used the same methods all the time. Looking back on it as a lesson, perhaps the lesson I've learned is when you are involved in wildlife management, you can see what's coming, so adjust your methods, location, species, weapon to make the most out of the time you have. Hunting should not be about self gratification, it's about quality time, quality people, spent outdoors, learning about wildlife.

I remember my first archery kill. I had gone so many hunts without a harvest, the family just stopped asking if I got something. And instead asked me if I had a nice day in the field.

I would also suggest, if you are having difficulty with success, search for a new experience. A zone, a new partner, take someone to your hunting zone, and see if they see it/hunt it different than you. Or go with someone to their spot. Observing how others go about the hunt can be good knowledge learned.

A general rule to keep in mind, if you and I go hunting and we go to, your spot, I will never go there without you. Even if I've known that spot for years. And if I take you to my spot, I would expect the same respect in return.

albravo2
11-14-2016, 02:51 PM
http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg630/rednecksamwise/02BFF8A5-9F54-4D1A-B747-131BB4A2B218_1.jpgLike everyone else has said...it's not about "killin' something."

If being on that mountain, looking at another 20 mountains all around you, doesn't make your heart feel right, hunting might not be for you. If you don't feel that need to go look around the next corner, or over that next hill, it might not be for you.

I am perpetually convinced that a monster buck is patiently waiting, broadside for me just over there, out of sight. But if he isn't there...I still have mornings like this, and that's why I'm out there. Because I just love being out there.

Hell of a post Squamch. Very well said.

Rotorwash
11-14-2016, 04:00 PM
before hunting season I save up a little money.
If I'm sucessfull I buy the wife a present for putting up with me during the season.
If I'm not.. I buy myself another gun to feel better.
So far it works

except now I need another safe

nwalter
11-14-2016, 04:09 PM
Thanks everyone. Like I said to a couple others I am not going to quit just need to learn to refocus and learn something Donau can be more successful. I am 3 young daughters, two of which are quite fascinated with hunting regardless of their young age.
Thanks again everyone

ajr5406
11-14-2016, 04:52 PM

X2 for me. Gotta be happy being out there otherwise sell your guns and take up golf.

Wild one
11-14-2016, 04:58 PM
Best of luck scout your pockets before next season put in your dues and all will come together

It all comes down to using your head and paying attention to sign

Bro 300
11-14-2016, 05:06 PM
Have always said about hunting trips. Most important things are:
A) nobody gets hurt or worse.
B) vehicles or equipment don't brake down.
C) Have a few beer or other spirits around the fire.
D) some people like to tell lies about their past hunting experience's and triumphs. My stories are all true, of course.
E) Getting something is always the priority, but it is a bonus to the trip when it happens.
F) If the outing isn't fun and exciting, you are missing the whole experience.

charlie_horse
11-14-2016, 06:07 PM
Another thing I've found which has really increased my partner and I success is just putting yourself out there in this hunting community. I can speak from experience that I'm pretty shy until i get to know people so that was hard for me. If someone is offering help, take it. If you know something that someone needs help with, offer it because you never know what they know. This year was a perfect example for us. Someone messaged me about a goat hunt that we connected on last year. I basically gave him gps co-ordinates to every goat we seen and where we shot ours, turns out buddy has very detailed knowledge of our moose draw area, we connected in the first 3 hours of our first day hunting. I don't think we would have seen a moose the entire week otherwise. Go to sheep counts or other hunting related events. Someone wants to talk on the phone, phone them. Send private messages. Just in the last three hunting seasons, i've got a dozen good deer spots, and usually come home with something on a trip now. I've made great friends throughout the province now with awesome knowledge of different areas and awesome tactics for hunting different species. It's a pretty wicked community here and a very useful tool to utilize.

scoutlt1
11-14-2016, 07:57 PM
I first got into hunting years ago because I was spending lots of time enjoying the outdoors hiking, fishing, camping etc... I had some friends that hunted so I began to join them on their trips.
My thinking was "oh great...here's yet another (expensive :) ) excuse for me to enjoy being out there, but if I happen upon a deer or grouse, I've got some healthy, hormone free meat to take home".
I didn't kill anything for the first number of years hunting (except for that one stubborn, suicidal rabbit that just refused to get the f**k out of the way :) ).

If I really need something to eat I'll head to the store.

You've had success and are seeing animals. You are doing better than many hunters. Keep at it, unless you want to sell me some gear for cheap ;)

As others have touched on......when I go hunting my "plan" is to spend time, armed and with a tag, in the bush. I get "smarter" every year and bring home meat, but for me, I consider a "hunt" successful when I get a chance to breathe in fresh air, spend time by the fire, enjoy some of the best scenery in the world, and come home safe.

Filling my freezer is always a bonus.

Just my two pennies......

Kami
11-14-2016, 08:33 PM
When I set my mind to do something, I pour tons of energy, time and money to get it done. I'm dedicated and little will get in my way until I succeed. Hunting humbled me in ways I knew little about. Money, time, energy, dedication will help, but not get it done every year. Yes those things help, but there is also some luck involved. Luck bugs me. I can't do much about it. I earn a kill when it does happen. A 4 pt mulie has eluded me for 5 years so far. I could shoot all the 2x2, 2x3, 3x3 mulies I ever wanted. Tons of them out there. Damn I've put the time in. Trail cams all year round. Scouting summer trips. Yesterday was a 14 hour day from out the door to back home. 20k on foot in brush and snow. Equivalent of 298 flights of stairs climbed. No 4 pt. Many, many countless days like this. You bet it's frustrating. Some years I need a week of rest after the season ends. Lol.

No amount of guns, camo, electronic gadgets, 4x4, time at rifle range, custom loads, glass, knives will get it done. I need a little luck. The time put in the bush increases my odds. Do I feel like packing it in and giving up? Sometimes, yes. However I love every day I've been out there in the bush. Staring at reality, nature, not a computer screen. Hang in man. Keep trying. If it were easy they'd call "Killing" not "Hunting". You can't catch and release them so hold out for a big one. That's what I keep telling myself anyway.

slowjo
11-17-2016, 07:31 AM
I spent my first decade struggling to shoot small bucks and LEH does.
Keep at it. It's a steep learning curve.
Just never give up and try to find lessons when you don't succeed. There are no failures when you learn something

SSS

i like this response

Looking_4_Jerky
11-17-2016, 06:14 PM
before hunting season I save up a little money.
If I'm sucessfull I buy the wife a present for putting up with me during the season.
If I'm not.. I buy myself another gun to feel better.
So far it works

except now I need another safe

Hahaha! Love it!

So, I am personally dispelling the MYTH that we are in it for the wrong reason if you expect success, and that it's all about wandering around enjoying the sunrise and smelling the flowers. You could drop acid and go for a hike if that's all you cared about. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy those aspects of the hunt, but for me they are just great by-products of my quest to hunt SUCCESSFULLY!!!!

I absolutely understand that success doesn't mean killing something every time out or every time I want. We build knowledge, experience, tact, and those skills will help us eventually be successful. And as the years build, your kills will likely increase in frequency (assuming your effort and game populations stay constant), but that doesn't mean that you won't have dry years even as an experienced hunter.

The less effort you invest, the less likely that your success will build upon itself, at a very quick rate, anyway. Having said that, for some of us, there is a finite amount of resources we will justify investing for no return. If you've hit that point, then I guess you have. But given all the great things that go along with looking for a successful kill, it would have to get pretty bleak to pack it in. As others have said, a couple of bucks in a couple of outings is great, and I can see that it's likely just a matter of time at that rate.

finngun
11-17-2016, 06:47 PM
why not go for smaller game hunting..grouse..duck..honkers..rabbit.pheasant.et c/? much more action,,really fun too:-?

scotty30-06
11-18-2016, 11:06 PM
Pretty cool I have to say that the person that made this thread has tapped into a community of no other....i would like to kindly raise a toast...for all the feed back and encouragement that this community has given...its hard to ask for help especially in frustrating times but reading all the responses reinforces the fact I made the right choice in joint this site...so cheers to all on the site nice work and be safe when in the back country.

butcher
11-18-2016, 11:43 PM
I just worked out my season average and my success rate is about 14% based on my number of days in the field this year.(about 50 so far)0 That includes critters that other guys killed with me there to gut and skin for them. It goes down to 4% if you only count stuff I shot myself. Bottom line is if you're not having the success you would like, spend more time in the bush hunting. No one is entitled to success. It comes with effort and experience.

luger
11-19-2016, 10:09 AM
My older brother told me years a ago that the mountain does not owe you anything. I keep this quote fresh in mind when ever I get discouraged.

Lozzie
11-19-2016, 10:41 AM
I love the challenge of hunting but it has ups and downs. I had my first LEH moose draw thisyear and was unsuccessful, only bull I saw was a thousand yards away, across a swamp on the move behind some trees. I hunted mule deer for a 8 days this year and just couldn't find the one I was looking for however I did connect on my muley doe draw and a 5x5 whitetail. For me it's about the experiences and challenging myself. I am a sustenance hunter first but do enjoy shooting big bucks but one trick for me to combat the frustration is changing my attitude, a bad day of hunting is always better than a good day at work. Sometimes when I get frustrated with bow hunting I lay the bow down and go duck or goose hunting instead. Sometimes shooting a couple of boxes of ammo is good therapy for the big game hunter. I met some guys this year who took a day off to hunt chuckars in the middle of the rut. Enjoy all that the outdoors has to offer and don't put too much pressure on yourself. As hunters we are opportunists, some will have more opportunities and some will do what they can to increase their chances for opportunities. At the end of the day there are no certainties in hunting. Good luck out there.

nwalter
11-19-2016, 10:44 AM
I second Scotty's comment.
When I first wrote this I was expecting comments like a few that were posted.
The amount of encouragement and support is astounding.
I have always been the type of person that if I had information that would help someone else out, it was my duty to help.
With hunting I got the feeling over the last few years that this community was not that way, with people being more tight lipped figuring people were just after their "honey hole."
this community showed me that there is people out their with a vast amount of knowledge and experience that enjoy helping others and seeing them succeed. These moments in themselves can feel like great accomplishments.

I want to thank you all for all the constructive criticisms and especially to a couple who know who they are, that your words gave so much more then anyone could ever expect. I vow to pay if forward for many years to come
thank you all
Nick

OoDark
11-19-2016, 10:53 AM
My friends who take me hunting are in a dry spell, and I can see how frustrating it is to seasoned hunters. For me I just got my 1st island deer on Thursday, and had to call them for help recovering it, it changed directions and died 35 m from where I shot it lol. They brought dogs and it was like, dogs hoped out of the truck dogs find deer. They were all happy about an easy recovery but I could see the "dam him for getting a deer" they are still inviting me on hunts and hoping I can bring them luck this time around. As for the Challenge Hell yes and I look at it as extra PT getting out of the house and the city seeing the mountains and other animals.

Each to their Own I Guess.

Wild one
11-19-2016, 11:19 AM
Best way to return the favour to the hunting community have good ethics and pass them on to new hunters

A little good karma can help a guy get lucky now and again

mcmullmar
11-19-2016, 11:42 AM
I have found this year to be particularly a bad year for all game. Could just be me though. If you truly love hunting, get out there more and also do you pre season scouting. That is the part my son and I like the most. Putting up trail cams and checking them.

Warcry
11-19-2016, 09:16 PM
Tommorow morning I'm going to fight discouragement by hiking through the new snow and trying to grunt/bleat my way to my first buck. Best mornings ever .

Brambles
11-19-2016, 10:03 PM
Sucess needs to be measured by more than just putting a bullet or arrow through something. In my little section of BC the bush is thick and animals have no need to come in the open to feed. The same feed that is in the blocks is also found in the majority of the timber. This combined with typically lower animal populations equates to dramatically reduced animal sightings.

I only do well by shear number of days hunting. Case in point I spent 55 days so far this season hunting. I would say 90-95% of those days I didnt see a single ungulate.
I had my good days and bad days, low days and high days. But I always say "your never gonna shoot one sitting on the couch".

I know from experiance that a bad season can change into a good season in 5 seconds.

Its the family of pine martin spotted scurrying through the timber...the family of otters found in an area they shouldnt be. The elk sheds found while pushing through gross thick bush, a new honey hole discovered or looking down on the dense valley fog below while sitting enjoying a beautiful sunrise.

Those are the signs of a sucessfull day spent in the bush. The animal harvest just another one of those factors.....and not the primary one.

Total big game spotted in 55 days during shooting light.

14 elk
8 moose 3 bulls 5 cows
4 bears
6 wt does
3 mulie bucks 2pts and 3 pts

I have not seen a mulie doe yet nor a whitetail buck yet.

Although I spent the majority of this season hunting moose. I covered an insane amount of country from high to low and feel the deer sightings are surprisingly low.

But the best day of your life is only 5 seconds away...

landphil
11-19-2016, 11:19 PM
Darn good post Brambles! Besides, any day out without being a G-bear's chew toy is a good one, right? :)

scotty30-06
11-19-2016, 11:36 PM
Haha Amen to that...its a very good feeling getting back safely to the truck after a long day out and turning the key and it fires right up....that is a damn good feeling

ducktoller
11-20-2016, 12:05 AM
For me i broke my roolie dry spell on year 3 with a spiker bt. It was pure luck on the road.

Im still getting better and finding tracks, walking quieter, and spotting game. I know how much it sucks to turn down a BIG buck cause of lack of ethical shot but you turning it down it was the right thing to do. In many ways that bhck i waited out and had to turn down was my first successful hunt not the buck i killed.

Seeing deer at the frequency you are seeing them is above average for a lot of us and sounds like you are doing it right. Keep at it.

What ive found helps me feel.motivated is planning it as an adventure. I did an unsuccessful due to family reasons (i knew where the goats were but no time) and foind the plan of scuting and hiking and pouring over maps and packing for backpacking fun in amd of itself. Of couse i wanted a goat but the adventure was more fun than hunts ive seen more game on! Its how i plan to organize my hunts going forward, Something to consider if you find the daily deer searches arent for you, as this way you have a successful adventure no matter what, an animal.is a bonus.