PDA

View Full Version : Helpful Hunter

shortrange
11-13-2016, 05:52 PM
So I'm waiting patiently at one of my favourite hunting spots after an unsuccessful weekend of looking for Mr. Whitey. It's Sunday, and I am thinking about home and dinner. Just as I'm ready to go, I see something move. I look harder and it is a nice buck. Woo-hoo! I'm creeping across the logging road because of course I am on the wrong side, and as I am taking a knee by a convenient bush to get a decent shot, I hear crunching behind me. I look up and back and some idiot just stopped his truck to see what I am up to. "Did you get one, bud?", he asks. WTF? I have some very violent thoughts and yell my opinion of his maternal lineage. I snap my head back to the deer, and I can see his white butt receding as he hops away. . . I go after him but it's a waste of time.

Here's a tip to curious hunters: If you see a guy squatting in the bushes, he is doing one of two possible things. NEITHER requires your help. Move on.

adriaticum
11-13-2016, 05:57 PM
Lol, sorry for your encounter.

Whonnock Boy
11-13-2016, 05:58 PM
Chalk it up to bad timing. I doubt the guy meant to ruin your hunt.

DarekG
11-13-2016, 06:13 PM
In cases like that, if I see a guy holding a gun in the bushes on/near the edge of the road who looks like he's going for something I'll usually slow to a stop. Most of the time they flag me through, one time a guy piled up a nice 4x4 Mule buck and thanked me for waiting.

Wild one
11-13-2016, 06:15 PM
Had a similar thing happen with a big black bear this spring it does suck.

But I look at it this way any time I spot an animal near a road some kind of vehicle can show up and spook the animal. It's happened to me with everything from logging trucks to dirt bikes. As long as the person does not spook the animal on purpose I don't stress on it because well I am next to a road and expect people to drive on it

shortrange
11-13-2016, 06:25 PM
I would normally stop way before I was near the guy or else drive past carefully. Shooting or pooping, best not to interfere ; )

monasheemountainman
11-13-2016, 06:31 PM
Crown land is crown land bud you don't own it:twisted::D

monasheemountainman
11-13-2016, 06:32 PM
Jk jk that sucks! I like your poop joke too

Wild one
11-13-2016, 06:38 PM
I would normally stop way before I was near the guy or else drive past carefully. Shooting or pooping, best not to interfere ; )

Agree I stop way back and I have no interesting in helping another hunte wipe lol

See drive by is no better in my opinion had game spooked from guys doing that as well

it sucks I still dwell on the one this spring lol

Spy
11-13-2016, 06:46 PM
That's just bad luck, next time keep your eyes on the buck and make it happen, it is on a Rd so shoot quicknext time.

REMINGTON JIM
11-13-2016, 07:01 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/image.php?u=324106&dateline=1398099091 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?324106-shortrange) shortrange (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?324106-shortrange)
You should have shot the Deer FIRST then checked out the Guy behind you ! :p lol RJ

IslandBC
11-13-2016, 07:08 PM
Lol shoot the buck, then say yeah bud just got one! Ha that would piss him off

chris
11-13-2016, 07:37 PM
I can't believe that jerk had the nerve to hunt on your road.

Husky7mm
11-13-2016, 08:05 PM
Sound like a classic case of the road hunting blues. Walk 100 meters off the road and you will have the place to yourself.

Boner
11-13-2016, 08:46 PM
Sound like a classic case of the road hunting blues. Walk 100 meters off the road and you will have the place to yourself.

Pretty much my thoughts on it.

HarryToolips
11-13-2016, 08:57 PM
That's just bad luck, next time keep your eyes on the buck and make it happen, it is on a Rd so shoot quicknext time.
This exactly.......

adriaticum
11-13-2016, 11:36 PM
Next time give them some toilet paper and ask them to wipe you

shortrange
11-13-2016, 11:50 PM
Pretty much my thoughts on it.
I was more than 100 m off the OTHER side of the road. Sad to say the deer decided he liked his side better. I'm not big on road hunting. Road hunters look too much like guys cruising for hookers. :)

IslandBC
11-13-2016, 11:58 PM
I was more than 100 m off the OTHER side of the road. Sad to say the deer decided he liked his side better. I'm not big on road hunting. Road hunters look too much like guys cruising for hookers. :)
Lol ! Last two sentences is worth a sig line. Keep hammerin man you will make it happen

JAGRMEISTER
11-14-2016, 01:01 PM
Get off the road!

tayleoscar
11-14-2016, 01:08 PM
I once seen a hunter laying on the side of the road, I stopped my truck and watched for a bit, then bang. It turned out to be a 11yr old who just got his first deer hunting with his grandpa!!! I congratulated the young hunter and went on my way

Big Lew
11-14-2016, 01:29 PM
In all my years of hunting I've only had two incidents where someone interfered with
my attempt to shoot something. The worst happened while I was at full draw waiting
for a nice 3x4 to take a step foreward so I could shoot for his lungs/heart. A truck full
of contract fence builders purposely gunned it and came racing up to me to scare the buck
away. Apparently the driver was also a bow hunter, and although he didn't have his bow with
him, he wanted a chance at the buck over the next few days. The other incident was a
person purposely honking his horn in an effort to scare away a buck I was stalking at least
300 yds from the road...it was the last time I wore a red hat while bow hunting.

Looking_4_Jerky
11-14-2016, 01:30 PM

Hey, I always wondered why it was so enjoyable to shoot deer from the road! I thought it was just so I could have the heater on...