PDA

View Full Version : Gut pile = move on?

VFX_man
11-12-2016, 01:41 PM
Hi all, question for the collective. Was out hunting yesterday (zone 3-14) and one of my spots had the last of a gut pile (stomach) and some of the skinned hide near it. Seemed less that a week old - no smell and the flesh on the hide had not gone rancid.

Would that generally say the harvestable buck for that area is now gone? Or could another move in? Just not clear how the Mule bucks range with the rut around the corner and don't want to "waste time" at a "depleted" spot.

cheers, M

takla1
11-12-2016, 01:44 PM
None,no correlation at all...My yrs of experience tells me if theres one buck killed there there are more around,numerous times we've killed deer and moose at our spots just to kill another a few days latter withing mere yrds of the first kill site

takla

Boner
11-12-2016, 02:04 PM
I've seen crows and eagles wipe out a gut pile in like 3 hours. Except for the stomach. That might sit there for a bit.

VFX_man
11-12-2016, 02:06 PM
Thanks -- That's good to know!

so when the crow circled me and called, then flew back in the woods (a distance from me) and started repeated screaming, then flew back to me and called. I should have headed the direction he was screaming? :)

cheers, M

rocksteady
11-12-2016, 02:10 PM
If the does are there, bucks will arrive regardless of gut piles..

scoutlt1
11-12-2016, 02:14 PM
None,no correlation at all...My yrs of experience tells me if theres one buck killed there there are more around,numerous times we've killed deer and moose at our spots just to kill another a few days latter withing mere yrds of the first kill site

takla

That's the right answer as far as I'm concerned.

Same experiences on my end.

Ourea
11-12-2016, 02:19 PM
The remains of a dead animal have next to zero affect on deer behavior.
I have posted several trail cam pics and videos of deer standing beside a gutpile from one of our kills earlier the same day.

The biggest negative factor on deer behavior is hunting pressure.
If an area is getting worked hard ur odds go way down.

Be more concerned about pressure and not on a dead deer.

"Good spots" will always be good spots until pressure comes.

Chopper
11-12-2016, 02:24 PM
Animals at this time of year have " Preferred Rutting Area's " , I agree ... If the Alfa of the area was shot, another dominant animal will move in. If he was not shot ... he is still there with the does.

I will add , I ve seen Preferred Rutting Area's get enough pressure that the game will no longer hang out there at all. Its apparent when it happens via the sudden lack of sign.

Best of luck

kilometers
11-12-2016, 02:24 PM
I would say yes and no. Some areas may only hold a couple shootable animals. Your odds go down when you find a gut pile.
i found one last year well bow hunting moose. Same Thing might of been a couple days old. Got all excited when ten minutes later I herd movement in the bush. A momma and baby grizzly came out to feed on it. I was in a tree so safe but took me awhile to get down and move out. moved over to another meadow and their was a grizzly there too. Between the crows and the grizzly I didn't see anything moving that day. I didn't hunt that swamp for the rest of the year. Those grizzly had that area under their patrols

Avalanche123
11-12-2016, 05:25 PM
I had the same thing happen as Kilometers. Said area with the dead animal (cow moose) was a write off for the same reasons Kilometers mentioned.

Boner
11-12-2016, 07:36 PM
Thanks -- That's good to know!

so when the crow circled me and called, then flew back in the woods (a distance from me) and started repeated screaming, then flew back to me and called. I should have headed the direction he was screaming? :)

cheers, M

If the crows could talk to me, I wouldn't be "hunting",I would be "going to the bush to get a moose". :)

I bet a few of them are smart enough to do just that, except for the communication barrier. :)

butthead
11-12-2016, 07:41 PM
stay there and get lucky

Quince
11-12-2016, 07:45 PM
Popped a 3x3 wt with a few does a few years ago, went back the next day and the does were less than 100m from where i shot the buck.

Fella
11-12-2016, 07:48 PM
2 weeks ago my buddy shot a buck in the afternoon. The next morning at first light I shot one 100 yards from where he shot his. There were also 2 moose gut piles in the area and we saw 25 does and 4 bucks in that spot.

Cordillera
11-12-2016, 09:22 PM
With moose gut piles we have rarely seen another bull at the same spot for a week or more. I think it's the predators on the gut pile that drives other moose away. A pile of crows probably brings Grizzlies or wolves and the moose know to stay away. In a deer area without so many large predators that relationship may be different.

11-12-2016, 11:07 PM
As said, death is just a way of life in their every day activities. A few weeks back, we killed a WT just before 5pm. The blood trail and gut pile were with in seventy yards. By 6:20 more deer were in the cam's memory. We got another, at daylight the next morning.
Always wondered myself but have been told and now shown different.

Go back.