PDA

View Full Version : My 2016 Bull Moose!

Backwoods
11-12-2016, 11:44 AM
Hey guys & gals, I'm finally taking a minute to tell the tale and upload some photos of my 2016 bull moose, harvested 2nd last day in the afternoon of moose season, which was my last chance to make it happen! This season for me has started early Aug. chasing stones, and then elk/moose hunting basically every weekend this season, I've seen an abundance of game, few legal bull elk I got caught with my pants down twice!! lets just say this season has had its ups & downs, missing opportunity, from seeing lots of game then to then next hunt not seeing a track! I was lucky enough to do my part on the predator scale and harvest a wolf to tame my nerves and keep me out there as I was getting to the point of being discouraged. If there is one really important thing I have proved to myself this season after hunting for the last 20yrs is to NEVER EVER give up! this bull I harvested I've seen once before and knew he was in the area still as I didn't notice any sign of other hunters in the area, and when I seen him first he never got spooked off, lets just say this, I neglected everything and everyone for the next 3 weeks of moose season (I have a great ol lady to put up with this and my work is understanding!) it came to the point of sleeping in the truck, bringing fuel n food and determination. over the time period I had seen many moose just not my bull I was in pursuit of, the weather was relentless, with snow and fog giving me terrible conditions to see further then maybe 150-200 yards. the fresh snow was nice as I could find the sign, cut some tracks and start calling, with the fog it ended up not being so bad as I had great cover, but also did the moose, I called and called and called, as this was my second moose ever taken I had to do some research on calling these majestic beasts in, believe it or not I was getting great action, just having cows and calves come in but keeping me positive that this bull will come in now and see these cows. As it is now Oct 30 on a Sunday afternoon and have to return to work in the AM this was my last and only chance, I haven't seen another bull like this anywhere els so I felt I had to stay. knowing the task ahead of me if I shoot this bull in the afternoon it wasn't going to be an early night. - TO BE CONTINUED (Cutting meat then headed hunting for the evening haha post pics ASAP!)

Backwoods
11-13-2016, 08:57 PM
http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah160/bigbuck8692/IMG_3806_zpsdebadhfw.jpghttp://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah160/bigbuck8692/IMG_3818_zpslcrojvv9.jpghttp://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah160/bigbuck8692/2016%20bull%20moose%20as%20he%20lays_zpsh6uwvjq0.j pg

Backwoods
11-13-2016, 08:59 PM
http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah160/bigbuck8692/2016%20bull%20moose_zpsajk2xyxx.jpghttp://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah160/bigbuck8692/IMG_4019_zpslmgrpalu.jpg

Backwoods
11-13-2016, 09:05 PM
http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah160/bigbuck8692/FullSizeRender_zpsbau1cshj.jpg

Backwoods
11-13-2016, 09:09 PM
The recovery with a few great friends and crawler let us take this bull out whole, hard work still getting loaded and 1/4'd up. woke up with sore backs but man did we gather meat of this bull!!

Corb89
11-13-2016, 09:13 PM
love that 3rd pic of the bull in the snow..congrats!!

Backwoods
11-13-2016, 09:14 PM
http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah160/bigbuck8692/IMG_3918_zpsblnagpgg.jpgEXHAUSTED!! the work isn't near the end

Backwoods
11-13-2016, 09:16 PM
http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah160/bigbuck8692/IMG_3910_zpswcjbavvd.jpg

Backwoods
11-13-2016, 09:24 PM
http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah160/bigbuck8692/IMG_3925_zpsu8b9fk36.jpg Hard work must be rewarded!! UMMMM BEER

Cat catcher
11-13-2016, 09:24 PM
You should drag the moose the other way they pull a lot easier. Nice moose

wrenchhead
11-13-2016, 09:26 PM
Congrats....that one pic that looks like it painted is pretty cool. What is the camera setting called?

Backwoods
11-13-2016, 09:27 PM
http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah160/bigbuck8692/IMG_4093_zpsin5hdvcx.jpg

Backwoods
11-13-2016, 09:29 PM
[QUOTE=wrenchhead;1843936]Congrats....that one pic that looks like it painted is pretty cool. What is the camera setting called?
it is an app called super photo on my iphone, just played around with a few edits

Backwoods
11-13-2016, 09:34 PM
thanks!! yah next time ill be doing a few things different!

HarryToolips
11-13-2016, 09:36 PM
Wicked bull, should put a lot of meat in the freezer eh, was it an LEH or GOS somewhere?

srupp
11-13-2016, 09:40 PM
Great bull..full freezer..thank you.
Steven

Backwoods
11-13-2016, 10:01 PM
[QUOTE=HarryToolips;1843949]Wicked bull, should put a lot of meat in the freezer eh, was it an LEH or GOS somewhere?
Tri-palm bull/ open season bull

Backwoods
11-13-2016, 10:10 PM
Great bull..full freezer..thank you.
Steven
Thank you very much Srupp!! should be a good rest of the season as I can afford to spend time scouting looking for a buck!

kilometers
11-13-2016, 10:10 PM
Nice bull!!

okas
11-13-2016, 10:20 PM
thanks!! yah next time ill be doing a few things different! you did it right as with the hair ;)

REMINGTON JIM
11-13-2016, 11:11 PM
Congrats ! Real NICE Bull ! ;-) RJ

coach
11-13-2016, 11:59 PM
Heck of a bull! Well done and thanks for sharing your story and pics.

Backwoods
11-14-2016, 06:43 AM
Thanks guys!!!

nap
11-14-2016, 08:02 AM
Awesome!!!! Ya got it done no matter how you did it, way to go!!!

russm86
11-14-2016, 08:20 AM

Looks like he went the right way to me... In my experiences dragging against the hide/hair doesn't go well...

Backwoods
11-14-2016, 09:01 AM
Looks like he went the right way to me... In my experiences dragging against the hide/hair doesn't go well...
I was always told to drag the way I did because the hair, especially if your interested in a mount, if possible get the head up, also find the chest cavity fill up with debris pulling the other way, this bull I'm only euro mounting myself. I'm always willing to hear other guys opinions from experience etc!! -Cheers!

Arctic Lake
11-14-2016, 09:49 AM
Nice bull ! That's a real different looking second photo for sure.
Arctic Lake

BStrachan
11-14-2016, 10:14 AM
Congratulations on getting your moose! Thanks for sharing your story and posting pictures.

ElliotMoose
11-14-2016, 12:35 PM
Sweet bull! Love hunting moose in the snow. We shot one similar to that not too far from kamloops this year. 6x4 on the fronts. Will post up some pics this week. Thanks for the share!

kennyj
11-14-2016, 04:18 PM
Cool bull!! Way to stay with it. Payed off big time.
Thanks for the story and great photos.
kenny

Buckmeister
11-14-2016, 11:02 PM
NIce bull, way to go!

Any more pics of your friends crawler?? Is that one of the Kelowna Snow Cruisers?? Looks close to a 54" tire in the picture.

jaeger
11-14-2016, 11:18 PM
Hey guys & gals, I'm finally taking a minute to tell the tale and upload some photos of my 2016 bull moose, harvested 2nd last day in the afternoon of moose season, which was my last chance to make it happen! This season for me has started early Aug. chasing stones, and then elk/moose hunting basically every weekend this season, I've seen an abundance of game, few legal bull elk I got caught with my pants down twice!! lets just say this season has had its ups & downs, missing opportunity, from seeing lots of game then to then next hunt not seeing a track! I was lucky enough to do my part on the predator scale and harvest a wolf to tame my nerves and keep me out there as I was getting to the point of being discouraged. If there is one really important thing I have proved to myself this season after hunting for the last 20yrs is to NEVER EVER give up! this bull I harvested I've seen once before and knew he was in the area still as I didn't notice any sign of other hunters in the area, and when I seen him first he never got spooked off, lets just say this, I neglected everything and everyone for the next 3 weeks of moose season (I have a great ol lady to put up with this and my work is understanding!) it came to the point of sleeping in the truck, bringing fuel n food and determination. over the time period I had seen many moose just not my bull I was in pursuit of, the weather was relentless, with snow and fog giving me terrible conditions to see further then maybe 150-200 yards. the fresh snow was nice as I could find the sign, cut some tracks and start calling, with the fog it ended up not being so bad as I had great cover, but also did the moose, I called and called and called, as this was my second moose ever taken I had to do some research on calling these majestic beasts in, believe it or not I was getting great action, just having cows and calves come in but keeping me positive that this bull will come in now and see these cows. As it is now Oct 30 on a Sunday afternoon and have to return to work in the AM this was my last and only chance, I haven't seen another bull like this anywhere els so I felt I had to stay. knowing the task ahead of me if I shoot this bull in the afternoon it wasn't going to be an early night. - TO BE CONTINUED (Cutting meat then headed hunting for the evening haha post pics ASAP!)

Congratulations! Great story and a nice Moose for the freezer!

Sitkaspruce
11-15-2016, 08:55 PM
I was always told to drag the way I did because the hair, especially if your interested in a mount, if possible get the head up, also find the chest cavity fill up with debris pulling the other way, this bull I'm only euro mounting myself. I'm always willing to hear other guys opinions from experience etc!! -Cheers!

Great bull, especially considering the weather we had up here for Oct. Shitty roads, fog and wet snow made getting around fun, especially in the peace gumbo!! Did you see many young bulls? I saw lots this year, which is great to see. Lots of 2-4yo with 4-7 pt and good spread.

To make it easy to pull, tie around the antlers then do a half-hitch around his nose then to the truck. If worried about a cape, wrap a jacket or shirt around the nose first. It makes the antlers lay back on the shoulder and along comes the bull.

Congrats on your bull, thanks for sharing!!!

Cheers

SS

two-feet
11-16-2016, 07:15 AM
Great bull, especially considering the weather we had up here for Oct. Shitty roads, fog and wet snow made getting around fun, especially in the peace gumbo!! Did you see many young bulls? I saw lots this year, which is great to see. Lots of 2-4yo with 4-7 pt and good spread.

To make it easy to pull, tie around the antlers then do a half-hitch around his nose then to the truck. If worried about a cape, wrap a jacket or shirt around the nose first. It makes the antlers lay back on the shoulder and along comes the bull.

Congrats on your bull, thanks for sharing!!!

Cheers

SS

the first moose i got without the help of my dad was a learning experience. I was trying to pull it up a hill with a lewis winch but it just was not dragging right. Some old fella pulled up, hopped out of his truck and put a 1/2 hitch around the nose of the moose. Works like a charm!