PDA

View Full Version : Newbie help

camo-kazi
11-12-2016, 10:10 AM
I have yet to shoot my first deer and was lucky enough to secure a doe draw in 2-11 for November. I have hunted Rutherford and Hurley but have not seen any deer whatsoever.
Of course I saw does earlier in the season but now i need to see one they seem to have dissapeared. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

markathome
11-12-2016, 11:10 AM
Well - without handing you gps coordinates - can you tell us what you mean by "hunted the Hurley and Rutherford". Truck hunted? Creeped into your already scouted spot pre-light and set up on known high density area? Quad hunted? Walked fire roads? Spot and stalked in the rocky bluffs off the Hurley?

Finding a doe in those areas shouldn't be a problem, but we need more info to help you.

Fella
11-12-2016, 11:24 AM
I have yet to shoot my first deer and was lucky enough to secure a doe draw in 2-11 for November. I have hunted Rutherford and Hurley but have not seen any deer whatsoever.
Of course I saw does earlier in the season but now i need to see one they seem to have dissapeared. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
How long have you hunted? How many days did you hunt those areas you said you went into? Are you seeing fresh sign? Are you road hunting or getting out and glassing cuts, timber blocks etc?

camo-kazi
11-12-2016, 11:56 AM
How long have you hunted? How many days did you hunt those areas you said you went into? Are you seeing fresh sign? Are you road hunting or getting out and glassing cuts, timber blocks etc?

Ive hunted for 3 seasons, mainly Tullumeen and Merritt areas.

Truck hunted and hiked, glassed the full length of 2 roads at hurley 8k 9k mark where i have seen does in the past. I saw 3 black bears together, but not even sign. Weather was rain, fog and still wind. Talked to other hunters who had saw nothing. Came across a butched muley remains so someone must have been lucky.

camo-kazi
11-12-2016, 12:02 PM
Well - without handing you gps coordinates - can you tell us what you mean by "hunted the Hurley and Rutherford". Truck hunted? Creeped into your already scouted spot pre-light and set up on known high density area? Quad hunted? Walked fire roads? Spot and stalked in the rocky bluffs off the Hurley?

Finding a doe in those areas shouldn't be a problem, but we need more info to help you.
Walked fire roads at first light, 8k 9k on the Hurley. I know of an area i used to see does there in the past but not even sign this time.

markathome
11-12-2016, 01:17 PM
Do google search of Huntingbc.com for Gatehouse and Proguide 66. Both of these members contributed massive info on Blacktail hunting in the region 2 area you're hunting. My piece of advice is deer have been migrating out of the areas you've been hunting since the first weekend of October. Hurley and west are better early season and Hurley and east are better late season. But then again - it's blacktails so who knows... next year they could set up shop at Tapleys.

I do know that Proguide66 is likely slipping and sliding his way up and over mountains right now in this deluge getting insane footage of cranker blacktail bucks.

Also I would be sure about road conditions before heading to Pemby - things are not good in that neck of the woods right now.

elkhunter1
11-12-2016, 08:21 PM
Had Same Draw. Got my Doe first morning 10:30 01 OCT. KM26 road hunting Meager Cr Road. lots of deer travel the Road because of steep Cliff to north.
now they are moving down to Macenzie wintering Ground. also Rut is on now. watch out for flooding. Also lots of Road traffic Hydro Progect at Km37.
Good luck.

camo-kazi
11-13-2016, 03:52 PM
Had Same Draw. Got my Doe first morning 10:30 01 OCT. KM26 road hunting Meager Cr Road. lots of deer travel the Road because of steep Cliff to north.
now they are moving down to Macenzie wintering Ground. also Rut is on now. watch out for flooding. Also lots of Road traffic Hydro Progect at Km37.
Good luck.

Thank you?