PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Hunting 2016

Cordillera
11-11-2016, 09:23 PM
I turned 50 this year, so the annual hunt had to be special. My regular partners were game to do something different; more adventurous. So, we spent the year researching options for a mountain hunt. We don't like company so needed to find a place without too much competition. Definitely a fly in show. Part way through the year, a new partner joined. He had shot one moose in his life and really needed to connect with a moose. So we were aiming for sheep/moose combo for the last two weeks of September.

After much research, we landed on a lake that we knew the outfitter was not hunting, and was off the beaten path for most residents. Definitely has had sheep killed before but is a relatively small pocket of sheep habitat. A local fellow we knew said the lake itself was "excellent moose". Game on. We booked the trip in April and training began; lots of hikes with packs, running and even a half marathon for one of us. The plan was to arrive at the lake, spend 6 or 7 days on the mountain and then back to the lake for moose for 6 days.

Finally we arrive at the floatplane base September 18 totally stoked. Unfortunately the pilot has news; someone may have flown in to our lake from a different base (one about 50km further). OK we ask, how about our "Plan B lake". Oh, he says that has someone already. OK. how about Plan C? Three parties on that one.

Well, they say the best plans disappear on contact. We really did not want to share a modest size area with others. Not good for them or us....

So, there is another lake near our first choice. Its not known to have sheep, but maybe? And there should be caribou and goats. So we load the plane and head to lake A. Sure enough, a small camp is already established so we head to Lake B. A little bummed but once we are there, it looks totally nice. A great base camp with sandy beach and a meat pole.

We set up the wall tent, stash some gear, cut some firewood, and grab packs to head across to the mountain.

The packs are all about 65 pounds, and are not that bad. The climb up looks ok, but its an old burn (50 years or so) and is pretty thick balsam and willow. Push, grunt, repeat.

After about 2 hours we have reached treeline and need a break. We have no idea if there is game anywhere here so we plan to camp, look around and then....

We sit down for about two minutes when one of the guys says "Goat!". Sure enough about 1.5km away a solitary goat on a small rock knob. I run for the spotter. Then I hear "holy...!#@ Grizz". What the?

Sure enough there is a bear on the ridge just above the goat. Clearly, the grizzly knows the goat is there. The goat looks total oblivious. A second grizzly appears upslope. We watch for about 45 minutes and the grizzly wanders around and then disappears up the ridge. We decide this little knoll is a great place to camp so set up the tents and split up to do some scouting before dark. We have goat tags but figure that we don't need to chase that goat with a grizz so close.

Later that evening, the two grizzlys return and try to make a frontal attach on the goat. For 45 minutes we have front row seats as the goat is getting surrounded by two lunging bears. But the little rock knob is enough and he sticks to it. As dark comes, the goat is there and the grizzlies are gone.

Dinner in camp that night is awesome. We have a cozy fire in the tipi with wood stove, and a pretty awesome mountain dinner.

The next day we split up to scout. The goat is gone. Shane sets up on a high knob to spot for moose in the valley below. The rest of us head around the mountain. After mid-day and about 8 k hike we spy a group of goats another 5 or 6 km away. Too far to chase (we are not that keen on goats, as there are lots around home). The we spy another Grizzly on the far ridge too. Way cool!! Then an inreach message arrives; "Grizzlies at close range". We had left one guy back partway and he had two bears come to within 100 meters while he hunkered under a rock. They were probably the same two bears from the day before.

On the way back, we circle above our camp to see if we can find the goat. No one home. We have seen some nice rocky cliffs and good talus, but very few tracks or other sign. Some caribou sign from about 2 or more weeks ago. Not a single sign of a sheep. When we are back at camp, Shane arrives looking pretty flushed. He had a quiet morning under his little tarp to stay out of rain squalls. in the middle of the afternoon a nice moose booked it through the valley below him and headed into the pass towards our camp. Shane went into "persistence hunting" mode, and tried to close the gap. Saw the moose a couple times but that bull was not slowing down.

At camp I was glassing the mountain on the other side of the lake. Hmmm, small dots that look like.... caribou! Spotter reveals a small herd with one decent looking bull. Cool.

We have another great dinner and break out some refreshments. What a great day in the mountains! Goats, grizzlies at close and far range, a mountain moose, and a herd of caribou. The problem is we don't want a grizzly and it looks like they have chased all the game on our mountain away. We decide to sleep and decide what to do in the morning.

Dinner was excellent. we had seen 6 goats, three grizzlies, a moose, and a herd of caribou.

PS: I can't manage to post photos. I'll try again tomorrow.

Xbow
11-11-2016, 09:42 PM
Humm sounds like this could be a gooder!!!!!

Power_Overwhelming
11-11-2016, 09:43 PM
Great read. Can't wait for the next chapter!

HarryToolips
11-11-2016, 09:54 PM
Good read so far....

Piperdown
11-12-2016, 07:03 AM
Get out of bed and start typing :)

northof49
11-12-2016, 07:48 AM
Humm sounds like this could be a gooder!!!!!

............x2

Cordillera
11-12-2016, 11:19 AM
I got the photo loading figured out but only have enough quota for one photo at a time; I'll have to figure that out.

In the meantime, here's me on the mountain top. I will post a few photos that may give hints of our location but if anyone wants to know, this lake is named "Hidden Lake" for a reason. ..

monasheemountainman
11-12-2016, 11:27 AM
you need to create a photobucket account

Cordillera
11-12-2016, 12:00 PM
The weather on the mountains was perfect (cold, slightly cloudy) and we didn't really want to leave. But with bears all over the mountain and no sign of sheep or caribou, we decided this was meant to be a moose hunt. So we headed back down. We were pretty happy with our legs and our camp set up, and the lake did look enticing.

We immediately spread out to case the area. There were a couple big swamps and a few nice small openings. For two days we humped up and down the obvious spots. we spotted one big bull at a long distance and had a moose put its face into our game camera. But it was otherwise quiet. It was only September 22, so we expected things to pick up soon.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff389/kkriese/DSCN3051small.jpg

Cordillera
11-12-2016, 12:52 PM
We had found lots of sign in the deep bush and willow. Old rut pits like crazy. The big open swamps were dead, though. We hunted early and hard and decided to head to the far end of the lake to case a place we had scouted a couple days earlier. More open aspen/willow than around our camp. We paddled down the lake for about an hour headed to where we would split up. As we come around the corner, I hear something whacking the brush ahead of us. I whisper "bull" to my buddy. Sure enough about 100 yards to our left is good size moose racking the willow, just behind a couple of balsam.

I quickly put down the paddle and tell my partner I'm on it. Chamber a round, scope covers off. The moose hasn't seen us and we are now about 80 yards away, but we are drifting in the wind a little. I don't have a shot but.......

Then the moose takes three steps forward just before we are going to drift behind some more trees. I see nothing but shoulder and take the shot. The moose takes off obviously hit. Runs about 20 yards and stands behind some big willow where we can just see a part of him. No room for a second shot. Then he crashes out of sight behind small knoll. I hit him hard but didn't see him go down, so we quietly beach the canoe and stand listening. We hear a few branches break out of sight where he went. We wait about five minutes to let him bed, then we go looking for blood. Where I shot him there is nothing, but after a couple minutes we find a pretty good blood patch where he stood behind the willow. Then we find the trail where he went behind the knoll.

About 40 yards into the timber, we find this.....
http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff389/kkriese/DSCN3038small.jpg

Total plywood head! We are stoked. Amazing long tines so we suspect he's old. Measures just around 56 inches.

The two of us start deboning him at 9 using the gutless method. For a bull like this it works perfect. No blood or gut goo to worry about. Getting the tenderloins was a puzzle but ended up being clean and easy. Due to Inreach message technology, our moose extraction team arrives around noon. The two canoes are loaded and ready to head back up the lake by 2 with a pile of meat and some very happy hunters!

zippermouth
11-12-2016, 01:00 PM
good read and nice moose! congrats!

Ferenc
11-12-2016, 01:03 PM
That is a nice bull moose !!!!

LBM
11-12-2016, 01:25 PM
Congrats great looking bull

boxhitch
11-12-2016, 01:35 PM
Nice bull
Hidden Lake? heard of a few of those

Timbow
11-12-2016, 01:41 PM
Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your adventure.

To see that many grizzlies sure makes you wonder the extent of a problem the ungulates are facing.

Rattler
11-12-2016, 02:28 PM
Great story and a super nice bull, congrats!

RiverOtter
11-12-2016, 03:20 PM
Nice bull
Hidden Lake? heard of a few of those
Ya, second only to Lost Lake.....:smile:

RiverOtter
11-12-2016, 03:20 PM
Great bull, btw. Sounds like a great hunt.

HarryToolips
11-12-2016, 03:58 PM
Great writeup and congrats on a nice bull!

Glenny
11-12-2016, 04:15 PM
Beautiful!!!!

The Hermit
11-12-2016, 04:47 PM
Beauty bull!! I'm sure there is more story to come, right?

Cordillera
11-12-2016, 10:18 PM
The next couple days are easy camp time for me. Get up late, read, sit by fire.... The other guys hit it hard looking for new places. I did a long mid-day hike through the timber and there is piles of sign in the deep bush. We find one nice opening and build a stand and trail there. After five or six days we have a nice trapline established. Generally, its windy and a tough hunt. Not much moving around. On day six two guys head to the other end of the lake for a spike camp. In the morning they see a cow and calf, and through the misty morning one bull comes to the call. A 45 minute waiting game ends with the fog clearing enough for a shot. Moose two is down. The Moose extraction team is in action and by mid-afternoon the meat pole is looking busy.

Here's a shot of our cozy camp.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff389/kkriese/DSCN3056small.jpg

And the view from camp.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff389/kkriese/DSCN3074small.jpg
The boys keep hunting pretty hard for a couple days. We hear wolves on the gut pile, but can't spot them. Not much sign of moose, even on our game camera along what we think is a good travel corridor. After two more days, a moose is finally seen again walking along the shore. He has antlers, and is across the lake about 1.5 km. So the race is on to cut him off. They are able to get ahead of him and beach the canoe. He finally notices them and heads off the beach into the timber. Bummer. But a cow call or two and he comes back onto the beach about 200 yards away. But some brush in the way prevents a good shot. The moose keeps coming till a shot presents about 100 yards. Boom; the moose runs....into the lake.

We have a rule to "shoot till he drops" so another shot goes and the moose topples floating into the lake. Nice 35 inch meat bull. He's gutted in the dark and the moose extraction team shows up the next morning. Moose three is hanging just after lunch! This one is pretty neat as Shane had been skunked two years straight and had never been on a fly in trip. He was pretty ecstatic.

Day 9 and we are sitting in camp in the late afternoon when I see a black blob in the one opening across from camp. Spotter comes out and sure enough there is a cow. Then a calf. Hmm... Then another cow. After 15 minutes of spotting we see another dark spot, and he walks out of the timber....holy Plywood head! This bull has to be close to 60 inches. A stalk is planned. There's only one opening so we have to get lucky. We drop the hunter and he has a bearing on the opening. About 45 minutes after we drop him off, a snow squall roars into the valley. Watching through the spotter we see all four moose leave the opening into the timber. Our hunter shows up just after that and calls for more than an hour but nothing shows. But man was that cool.

One tag not yet cut, so we kept at it. But not much sign. So on day 11 (of 13) two of us canoe back down the lake. Early departure so we arrive in the calm end of the lake just at first light. And there's a nice cow feeding in the lagoon. We figure there may be a bull, so we try to get close on the shore but there's no approach. We get back in the canoe and use an island to shield of us so we can get closer. We land the canoe, and get off to hear the moose in the water very close. A very careful stalk to see through the brush and we then hear the cow run off and we can see her with a calf just behind running away. They must have winded us. The we see the bull run behind. A nice medium sized bull. We do a couple cow calls and the cow stops about 200 yards away, but the bull heads to the timber. We spend the rest of the day poking around and head back to camp.

The final day of the hunt is a final day to eat, clean meat, and hang out. The plane arrives early on day 13. We have a lot of meat, so its three trips out.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff389/kkriese/IMG_1406small.jpg

What an amazing trip. We were initially disappointed that we could not hunt our original area. It would have been great, but being alone was an essential part of the experience. We had a great time on the mountains and proved we were ready for that. We saw a reasonable amount of game, but nothing was easy. Getting three moose, and coming close to number four, was awesome.

As a final bonus; flying out we passed over one of the stands we had been on. There was a nice big bull in the middle of the openings looking pretty awesome. if we had stayed a couple more days.....

Avalanche123
11-13-2016, 12:40 PM
Love a good moose story. Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

Getbent
11-16-2016, 07:53 AM
That's awesome! Thanks for sharing.
Love great moose reads like this as well.

ydouask
11-16-2016, 08:19 AM
Wonderful story, excellent preparation meets with opportunity.... congratulations, well done on all fronts ! :-P

smallfry14
11-16-2016, 11:01 AM
sweet bull!! good huntin' :smile:

604Stalker
11-16-2016, 11:05 AM
Awsome story thanks for sharing. 3 moose 4 ways meens a FULL freezer definetly wont be hurting for meat this winter!

tayleoscar
11-16-2016, 11:19 AM
Great story!!! Nice moose, good job guys

kennyj
11-16-2016, 02:52 PM
Great story! Thanks for sharing your adventure.
kenny

Thunderstix
11-16-2016, 04:35 PM
This thread was just what my day needed

thepitchedlink
11-16-2016, 06:24 PM
Cool hunt/story, thanks for sharing. 50's getting closer and close for me too....oh man