PDA

View Full Version : Huge velvet for you blacktail lovers.

steveo32
07-02-2007, 01:14 PM
Here are some pictures of a monster blacktail that matt and i saw this past weekend. He looks like a 10x6 right now with some smaller bumps that might turn into points by the time he is done growing.

I sure would love to knock this bad boy down:twisted:

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w28/steveo32-hunting/Stevesdreamblacktail.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w28/steveo32-hunting/Monsterblacky.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w28/steveo32-hunting/IMG_0157.jpg

steve

Mulie_Hunter
07-02-2007, 01:16 PM
Antlers sure have the characteristics of a whitetail.

Phil
07-02-2007, 01:18 PM
Very nice! I saw a few like that this weekend too that I hope to bump into this fall.

mark
07-02-2007, 01:19 PM
Antlers sure have the characteristics of a whitetail.

I was kinda thinking the same! Very nice buck though!

MattB
07-02-2007, 01:27 PM
100% blacktail, just has whitetail like antlers. Photo was taken in Hagensborg.

Rubicon500
07-02-2007, 01:28 PM
Good find boys..Definalty a Duny forsure!!

steveo32
07-02-2007, 01:34 PM
here is another angle to show you more points:biggrin:

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w28/steveo32-hunting/stevesdream2.jpg

steve

Jelvis
07-02-2007, 01:55 PM
Ooops, tail too big for a blacktail and a blacktail is black all the way down, and tail on blacktails don't taper from wide on top to narrower at bottom like this one in your picture besides all points coming off of the main beam and no forks. but hey who knows, better ask Steve from Clearwater!

MattB
07-02-2007, 01:56 PM
Ooops, tail too big for a blacktail and a blacktail is black all the way down, and tail on blacktails don't taper from wide on top to narrower at bottom like this one in your picture besides all points coming off of the main beam and no forks. but hey who knows, better ask Steve from Clearwater!

LOL, Blacktail tails have many different characteristics. They can look like both muleys and whitetails.

Untouchable
07-02-2007, 02:02 PM
its a hybrid, no doubt

Brambles
07-02-2007, 02:05 PM
Must be a hybrid:biggrin:

And let it start!!!!!!

You got a better shot of its tail?

Are there any whitetails in the area?

Not that I'm doubting you, you seen it in real life and we just have pictures, and from those pictures It looks A LOT like a whitetail, although I can see some darkness to the tail.

Good thing I don't hunt anywhere where there are blacktails, I'd probably mess up the ID, on this one at least..

Beauty deer none the less, great photo's

MattB
07-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Hagensborg is like 30km from the ocean near Bella coola....its a blacktail :wink:

Jelvis
07-02-2007, 02:13 PM
Where did you see it like in what area. then we'd know better, but I guess you probably wouldn't say anyway, Main beam everything off it? Hey it's just my opinion I don't think it matters now anyway just a picture. A 3 point antler on any buck could look whitetail but this one has more than 3 coming off the main beam Just my guess, also the color says whitey. Ask Dana he should know. Sorry not tryin to argue just curious, nice buck anyway. Is this a test? good one

MattB
07-02-2007, 02:17 PM
lol, dude i have already said where we saw it. Bella Coola valley...its a blacktail. There have been many blacktails shot with whitetail like antlers. You gotta remember this is early july, this buck has a lot of growing to do, he may even fork at the tops of them points your seeing now.

steveo32
07-02-2007, 02:17 PM
hahahahhahah it is no test there are no whitetails, down in bella coola and this is where the picture was taken aprox. 30 km from the ocean while fishing:biggrin: Trust me this is no whitetail even tho it did fool me at first

steve

coolhunter
07-02-2007, 02:32 PM
nice picture , it.s deer no doubt:biggrin:

Jelvis
07-02-2007, 02:35 PM
I do notice the bucks underparts aren't light like a white tail tho, ok so you're right i'm wrong, no problem but ok you want the truth, I don't think that particular buck is that big no matter what kind of deer it is. Hybrid or not!

MattB
07-02-2007, 02:47 PM
lol, its a 10x7 blacktail. How many blacktails have you seen that big?

GoatGuy
07-02-2007, 02:50 PM
Nice buck!

I'm assuming the you guys were up there fishing?????

There's a couple whopper BT's wondering around downtown Prince Rupert! No hunting allowed - they grow big living on folks' gardens.

steveo32
07-02-2007, 02:51 PM
hahahha jelvis, i dont understand you:roll: you must be one of the guys i see walking downtown kamloops talking to themselves:biggrin: If you dont think that is a big blacktail you gotta give you head a shake i am photo scoring him in the mid 150" which is f-huge for a balcktail but what do i care he is still no muley:biggrin:

Jelvis post up some pictures of some deer you will call big just so we know where you are comming from.

steve

300 wsm
07-02-2007, 02:57 PM
its gotta be a whitetail look at those brow tines and it lookes like he has a longtail

dana
07-02-2007, 03:10 PM
The real question is where are the fish pics?

steveo32
07-02-2007, 03:24 PM
Here is the best pic i have of the blacktail, of the blacktail:wink:
And for all you doubters out there please continue to try and prove me wrong by driving to bella coola and taking photos of the whitetails they have there:biggrin:

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w28/steveo32-hunting/stevesdream3.jpg

steve

steveo32
07-02-2007, 03:26 PM
Fishing sucked, the river was to high and not to many salmon in the river:???: Oh well seeing that hog blacktail was well worth the trip:biggrin:

steve

hunter1947
07-02-2007, 03:27 PM
It sure looks like a whitetail to me ,or maybe i have had to much to drink today :eek:.

Jelvis
07-02-2007, 03:59 PM
I may be wrong, but, you're not right. A Line from Kid Rock. Hey honestly guys, I lived and hunted in black tail country for decades, around Chilliwack Lake, and that tail is definetly not like the ones i've seen hundreds of blacktails, but, like you say, blacktails are all different, so something new up there, where ever, you took that pic, but that deer isn't what I would be after anyways,honestly. As far as blacktails, a nieghbor of mine shot the biggest blacktail up in the skagit that would make that deer look like, well I won't say it. All deer, with 4 points in velvet, look big, and in certain photos in snow too, but, when they shrink from being green they look pretty normal. Mr Mussells blacktail was no. uno in the books at that time in the 80's Mr Mussel is his name, record black tail his game. look it up. You say white tails are no where up there, I say whitetails are taking over and spreading across boundaries and will be every where there is farmland, BELIEVE IT OR NOT? Jelly Belly, You guys know your stuff, I cannot doubt you.

GoatGuy
07-02-2007, 04:10 PM
Fishing sucked, the river was to high and not to many salmon in the river:???: Oh well seeing that hog blacktail was well worth the trip:biggrin:

steve

That's too bad! Fishing was fantastic to the North of ya.

On with the hybrid discussion.

mark
07-02-2007, 04:15 PM
Hey Steveo, next time you see a buck like this one chuck a rock at it, (to see if the tail waves when it runs!) Even looks more whitey in the last pic!

bigwhiteys
07-02-2007, 04:15 PM
And for all you doubters out there please continue to try and prove me wrong by driving to bella coola and taking photos of the whitetails they have there:biggrin:

I don't personally care what kind of deer it is... Nice little buck either way... But for conversations sake, I was in Bella Coola in May and in discussion with the C/O, and some other locals they seem to think there are in fact whitetails moving into that area.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Alpine85
07-02-2007, 04:18 PM
hahahha jelvis, i dont understand you:roll: you must be one of the guys i see walking downtown kamloops talking to themselves:biggrin: If you dont think that is a big blacktail you gotta give you head a shake i am photo scoring him in the mid 150" which is f-huge for a balcktail but what do i care he is still no muley:biggrin:

Jelvis post up some pictures of some deer you will call big just so we know where you are comming from.

steve

LMAO!!!! holding a Little Ceasers sign........
741 posts and I still don't know if this guys joking or what!!!!!!! jelly bean,jelly roller 09 11 09 big bucks:biggrin:

Steve rumour has it Tinney was spotted tranquilizing whitetails and muleys. I guess he's trying to Transplant whitetails into muley and blacktail country..... WORKING TOGETHER FOR HYBRIDS FOREVER

JMac
07-02-2007, 04:32 PM
IMO! The "tails" of deer vary greatly and one must remember nothing is written in stone. Here's my buddies first decent buck he killed with me in the highcountry where region 3 and 5 "lock" together. Check out how thick the tail is and how much black is on it! Believe it or not, I've seen every different kind of mule deer and blacktail tail combination you can imagine in this area. Rope like, blacktail, rope like with black all the way down and all the way to the top (like his), and 1/2 brown with 1/2 black-tipped. As for antler configuration a lot of blacktails exhibit whitetail like mainbeams especially deer with three up and or nontypical versions of three up etc.

dana
07-02-2007, 04:43 PM
I don't personally care what kind of deer it is... Nice little buck either way... But for conversations sake, I was in Bella Coola in May and in discussion with the C/O, and some other locals they seem to think there are in fact whitetails moving into that area.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Carl,
Them CO's know everything. Heck I here tell that the one in Merrit will let you kill a 3 point muley and tag it as a whitey cause hybrids are running rabid in that country. ;) Seriously, a guy on HBC said so. :) :) And don't forget the fields of hybrids in Mcbride BC. The rumor has it the B&C are going to rework the official boundries and have Merrit and Mcbride in their own seperate catagory.

hunter1947
07-02-2007, 04:53 PM
I would bet my life on that this is a whitetail deer ,look at the eyes ,you can even see the white circle around the eyes that whitetail get in there older years.

Untouchable
07-02-2007, 05:56 PM
aww come on hunter1947 dont go bettin your life on nothin! especially with you so close to retirement:wink:

steveo32
07-02-2007, 06:17 PM
All i have to say is you guys prove me wrong!!!!! And jelvis you still make no sense i am sure they willhire youto hold the sign for little ceasers pizza if you need work and no one else will hire you. If your buddy has his buck in the record books why dont youpost up some pics and save us all the time of us trying to find it if you already have it:-?

Sure as hell looks like a blacktail to me seeing as i still have yet to see a whitetail anywhere near the coast. But i could be wrong and i am just asking you guys to prove me wrong:twisted:

steve

Gateholio
07-02-2007, 06:42 PM
Whitetails have been seen in Squamish. That is pretty darn coastal!:mrgreen:

Jelvis
07-02-2007, 06:51 PM
Do I detect a sliver of doubt, cracking the surface of someones armor of confidence? Due to all points coming off the main beam? And no there won't be any forks coming off those points, too late for that only six weeks left for growth. Since theres no way of proving you wrong, If it looks like a whitetail, has antlers like a whitetail, has a tail like a whitetail, is colored like a whitetail, quacks like a whitetail, and the majority thinks it's a white tail, what do you say it is? Fill in blank and count spaces w-------l.lol. As far as Ceaser's sign goes, hey, all the pizza I can eat. what's so bad about that? I'm retired.What about Stevie he's been awful quiet? All in good fun anyway, still a nice deer, no matter what. Hey it's just a picture!

guido
07-02-2007, 06:53 PM
double tap

guido
07-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Definitely a whitetail deer!! And you can see where the ear tag has been ripped out of his ear. Maybe an escapee.

steveo32
07-02-2007, 07:05 PM
hahahhah jelly roll how many time have people been wrong when trying to tell the kind of deer from a picture,all i am saying is some has to prove me wrong before i will beleive it is a whitetail. I still say 100% blacktail. as for all you coastal hunter be sure to cut the right tag this fall i dont wanna hear all of you whining cause you cut a whitey tag when infact you killed a non typical blacktail:wink: As for others seeing deer of this size can you post up pictures i have not seen to many blacktails with this much horn growth and the only picture i see of blacktail are normally dink 2 points. If in fact they are common then why arnt you all in the books yet:twisted:

steve

dana
07-02-2007, 07:13 PM
Steveo,
Even if Jelly Roll believes with all his heart that that is a whitey, there is no way he can say that is a dink and he wouldn't shoot it. Not unless Jelly Donut hunts them dinky dog rat deer in Sask. As for his buddy who knows a buddy that killed a maybe unofficial record book blackie, I say, he's full of it. Show us the pic Jelly, show us the pic.

Rubicon500
07-02-2007, 07:21 PM
Nothing gets this site going like a good ol Hybrid debate LMAO..So what would you guys classify this guy I filmed on the Weekend?http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/Alpine85/bchunter.jpg

Jelvis
07-02-2007, 07:40 PM
Look in BC book under Blacktail deer J Mussel. I don't have a book to show you. A picture of a deer in velvet I think its a nice buck but my interest is the mule deer. That buck Mr. Mussel got was a big record, look in your books I don't have book. If you like a certain buck that is good but not every one likes the same thing. I like mulies and moose and once in a while elk hunting.I had my fill of blacktails and their habitat. Whitetails don't do it for me and I don't like Caribou either no matter how big, so what more can I say. Topics getting boring now, lets move on to greener meadows, Jelly

steveo32
07-02-2007, 08:12 PM
It is only getting boring cause we called you out and you cant back up a thing you say. If you hunted blacktails for so long then where are the pics, the racks and anything like that. Muleys are my favorite but i would take this blacktail in a heart beat and i am sure none of your bucks would even come close to this one:wink:

steve

JMac
07-02-2007, 08:19 PM
FYI. Jack Mussels buck is on the front cover of the 3rd edition (Green cover) of the B.C. Records book. It scored 158 4/8 net and was the new #1 when it was shot in 1982. "Mr. Rupps" big buck is in that one as well and scored 153 7/8. Nice one Steve. The Mussel buck has since been dethroned by T- bone (160 7/8 - 2000) and St. Pierre (166 4/8 - 1992).

dana
07-02-2007, 08:34 PM
I wonder how many old bucks will be re-entered now that the B&C has finally established the non-typical catagory for blacktails. Before, all nontypical points were deductions. Now, they can be recognized for the bone they grew. I once saw a pic of a old timer buck from Oregon that scored 215 NT. Never heard if the current owner was able to get all the needed documentation to get it declared World Record.

tufferthandug
07-02-2007, 08:48 PM
Nice buck Steveeo-

Keep them salmon at the coast. The Dollies up here were ferociously hungry this morning!!!

Jelvis
07-02-2007, 08:51 PM
Hey Steve, how many Steves are there anyway, It seems everybodies Steve. Ok, you got me. I am really old, and I know this, cause my back goes out more than I do. Getting lucky, at my age, means I find my car in the parking lot. You fellas called me out, and I couldn't answer the bell. Your right tho, if I saw that buck, that buck would go down faster than my stocks did on wall street. My two point bucks wouldn't even compare to that monster in your photos so, in a heart beat, ya, I don't have too many left, by the way that Blacktail is big, good luck to all the Steves everywhere......... Jelvis ......

Jetboater
07-02-2007, 09:13 PM
I have four blacktails that look like whities,,, that is a dandy buck that most people would drop in a heart beat..great pics that deer is a dandy that people who hunt blacktails dream about.... how was the fishing guys ??? For the record blacktails lift their tail before they run fairly often.. they dot qag like a whitey but they do lift em.

oscar makonka
07-02-2007, 09:23 PM
Odd that it dosen't have any blacktail or muley charasteristics. Looks like whitetails have made it to the north coast eh!8) Only way your going to know is to get some DNA off it. Certainly wouldn't surprise me.

Elkhound
07-02-2007, 09:36 PM
I would never hesitate to shoot a deer like that.....and that rack on a blacktail is huge

Jelvis
07-02-2007, 09:41 PM
Rubicon500, that is a work of art, or it's a freak of nature, like the strength of Terry.

WoodOx
07-02-2007, 10:27 PM
dinky dog rat deer in Sask

Not gunna get involved in this one, but theyre not all dinky rat deer in sask :wink:

Walksalot
07-03-2007, 07:01 AM
You are luck to get this guy's photograph. They don't get that big unless they are extremely cautious and conditioned. Come hunting season that bugger will be a challenge to bag.

Walksalot
07-03-2007, 07:23 AM
OBTW, it's been quite a while since I have seen an elk that big.

shortroot
07-03-2007, 07:49 AM
Could definately be a whitetail, I have seen a dozen or so in Anahim Lake in the past couple of years. The Atnarko/Bella Coola Valleys are the wintering grounds for many of these deer.

However, I have also seen some very unique antler configurations in the Bella Coola Valley on Blacktails. I guess Muleys with 6-7 " brows must be a whitetail as well:rolleyes:. If they aren't typical antlers, then the sky is the limit as to their configuration.

Nice buck, either way, as it still has some growing to do. Hard to hunt the valley, as nearly the entire valley bottom is bow only due to 1/4 mile restriction. Also, almost all private land.

Sad to hear you guys didn't hook up. I'm heading down this weekend for 3 days.

Fisher-Dude
07-03-2007, 09:26 AM
Nice 145 class whitetail ya saw there Steveo. Anyone who would punch their blacktail/muley tag on that one should re-take their CORE course. And, if you are in Bella Coola, you better not shoot it at all as there is no whitetail season in that area! 8) All those who said they would dump it should be in JAIL for conspiring to POACH! :mrgreen:

BCrams
07-03-2007, 11:11 AM
Sorry Steveo and Matt.

Thats a whitetail buck right through.

They definatly have moved into the area.

I think you boys need to break open your CORE books again before you go hunting this fall. :grin:

Stone Sheep Steve
07-03-2007, 12:09 PM
You boys better stick to mulies...something that you know:-D.

SSS

blacktailslayer
07-03-2007, 08:37 PM
I thought I would put this thread to rest. I am a blacktail hunting fanatic, and that is not a blacktail! I looked in my big buck picture archives to prove this is a whitetail. First is Steve and Matt's pic, notice that the tail does not have a dark black tip.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/503750.jpg (http://www.hunt101.com/?p=503750&c=500&z=1)

This picture of mine is a Vancouver Island blacktail, taken July 5th last year I believe. Notice the large black tip on the tail.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/503749-big.jpg (http://www.hunt101.com/?p=503749&c=500&z=1)

Sorry guys that is a whitetail!!!:-D:-D

blacktailslayer
07-03-2007, 08:56 PM
Pictures are not working Dana. Vancouver Island Columbian blacktails are the purest gene pool there is because of their isolation from the mainland. The buck from Hagensborg may be some type of cross, but I would not consider it a true blacktail. This is one reason I think Island bucks should have their own category in the B.C. book. JMHO.:-D

dana
07-03-2007, 08:59 PM
Pics were working a second ago. Oh well. The pic was of a muley/blackie cross. Tail didn't look anything like your VI purebred. I would suspect that those big old muleys on the Plateau may venture to the ocean every once in a while and cross with the little coastal does. ;)

mark
07-04-2007, 05:39 PM
Pics were working a second ago. Oh well. The pic was of a muley/blackie cross. Tail didn't look anything like your VI purebred. I would suspect that those big old muleys on the Plateau may venture to the ocean every once in a while and cross with the little coastal does. ;)

Im shocked!!!! I recall you ripping on me for questioning the pureblood of lowermainland blacktails. Now your saying its possible for a mulie to cross the sacred line????? :confused:

quadrakid
07-04-2007, 06:17 PM
i personally don,t go for this idea that vancouver island blacktails are genetically purer blacktails. the deer in my neck of the woods routinely swim from island to island and island to the mainland. from bute inlet to vancouver island is a very short distance. if you live down island it may seem that we are isolated from the mainland but up here the mainland is quite close.i,m not saying deer are travelling from the mainland to vi on a regular basis but in the big scheme of things there is certainly a passing of genetic material b ack and forth.look at a map of quadra maurelle sonora area and you can see just how close we are to the mainland up in the discovery islands.

dana
07-04-2007, 06:49 PM
Mark,
Come on man, do you have to take everything literily? Do you see the wink? WTF is the wink for dude? Lighten up and have a pop. :) I gave you a jab (not ripped you) over your BS remark that was uncalled for. If you think that was a rip, start hanging out where the big boys play, over on MM and we'll see if we can make ya cry. :) The fact is there are no purebred blacktails as they all are decendants of the whitey. The muley decended from the whitey twice. Kinda blows any idea of a pure strain now don't it?

Jarrett
07-04-2007, 10:43 PM
http://www.hunt101.com/img/503750.jpg (http://www.hunt101.com/?p=503750&c=500&z=1)

That's a beauty of a WHITETAIL :grin:

Will
10-10-2007, 11:24 AM
Not sure how I missed this one...........musta been trippin for a few months :lol:

Islandeer
10-11-2007, 03:14 PM
Looks like,walks like, yada, yada, kill one then you can beak. All this BS is really only BS!! But clearly this is a big blacktail, and I know blackies like nobody I know.

Wildman
10-11-2007, 03:21 PM
Looks like a Whitetail to me.........?

Islandeer
10-11-2007, 04:18 PM
Nope!:cool:

steveo32
10-17-2007, 01:57 PM
sh!t i go away guiding for 3 months and this thread is still going :shock: damn i hope all you boys had fun, keep your eyes open i have a butt load of pics to post when i get some time!!!!!

Will
10-17-2007, 08:39 PM
sh!t i go away guiding for 3 months and this thread is still going :shock: damn i hope all you boys had fun, keep your eyes open i have a butt load of pics to post when i get some time!!!!!
I kept it going in your Honour..........:lol::wink:
Look forward to the pics8-)