PDA

View Full Version : Help! Identify these hunters please

redthorn
11-09-2016, 08:26 PM
Long story short, I found a backpack with a disposable 35mm camera and some other neat stuff in it. And no ID in the pack. Seriously, you should always have something to locate you in case you lose stuff like this. Although the camera was old and expired since 2010, I took it in to get developed. (It just took close to 2 weeks since no one does real film anymore and London Drugs had to ship it all the way back east to get the negatives done. Finally got it today...) Judging by the age of the camera, these pics might be 6+ years old, so the fellas might look a little different now.

Nice moose by the way!

There is some more stuff in this backpack. (No firearms) If you know these guys, PM me. I'm not just passing this off to anyone. The owner should be able to describe what was packed in it. I put up copies of the 2 guys shown in the pics and a pic of their camp (it has a Canadian flag and a pirate flag).
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv278/redthornboards/Dude%202_zpspi30z8kv.jpg (http://s691.photobucket.com/user/redthornboards/media/Dude%202_zpspi30z8kv.jpg.html)

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv278/redthornboards/Dude%201_zps2pa4etq6.jpg (http://s691.photobucket.com/user/redthornboards/media/Dude%201_zps2pa4etq6.jpg.html)

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv278/redthornboards/Cabins_zpsnfqwgly4.jpg (http://s691.photobucket.com/user/redthornboards/media/Cabins_zpsnfqwgly4.jpg.html)

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
11-09-2016, 08:27 PM
Right on , Good on you for going the distance and helping the owner and the items reunite.. Hope it Happens .. Be a good story .

ElliotMoose
11-09-2016, 08:48 PM
Those are some awesome pics.. I'm thinking they're definitely over 6 years old. Hope somebody pipes up

604Stalker
11-09-2016, 09:44 PM
Lol whoever they are they were eating pretty good that winter.

Surrey Boy
11-09-2016, 09:55 PM
Fun find.

Best of luck.

RBooth
11-10-2016, 06:45 AM
First guy looks like a fraser river jet boat fishing guide. If you return it to home, maybe that will teach him to be a little more respectful of others? Doubtful but one could hope.

RBooth
11-10-2016, 07:19 AM
Dale Servatius; Not 100% sure but could be the guy and could be the guy I bumped into on the Fraser. Probably a good guide to take you fishing but not a person you want to show up on the same bar you're fishing on.
Just google him and you'll find his website, facebook page etc.
Cheers.

Jetboater
11-10-2016, 11:03 AM
that's not Dale but close

redthorn
11-10-2016, 11:08 AM
Pretty sure the guy in the first pics has glasses. He only showed up in pics from one hunt.

I believe the guy in the second pic is the pack owner, as he has pics from several different successful hunts on the camera.

Hope someone knows these guys. Lots of great memories on that roll of film.

frankthedog
11-10-2016, 11:57 AM
Good on you for going through the effort or trying to return these dudes belongings

BCWF
11-10-2016, 12:13 PM
Second picture looks like Paul Trepus- inzana outfitters

walks with deer
11-10-2016, 12:17 PM
Hmm now you say that I would almost secound that...there email address shouldnt be to hard to find.

ruger#1
11-10-2016, 12:19 PM
http://www.inzanaoutfitters.com/

Linksman313
11-10-2016, 12:55 PM
Good on you for going through the effort or trying to return these dudes belongings
X2 Good for you, I would appreciate the same done for my lost items, especially hunting trip pics!

levind
11-10-2016, 09:14 PM
Very cool of you to go through the trouble of trying to get it back to the owners. Very cool find hope they get it back.

redthorn
11-10-2016, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far.
I've emailed all the guys suggested on here or in PMs but no luck yet.

tinbird
11-11-2016, 05:17 AM
were there any nekid women photos? :)

Drillbit
11-12-2016, 12:22 AM

redthorn
11-12-2016, 10:59 AM
So last night I got a call from Dale Servatius about the camera. (Several of you had identified on here as well as through PMs, and so I emailed him the pics) He was blown away because the one pic was him from about 10 years back, and he knew the name of the other guy and the cabins as well. But here is where the whole thing got confusing for both of us.

Me: I found this pack a little over 2 weeks ago (late October 2016) along the side of the freeway.

Dale: Their friend on that hunt lost his pack with that camera in it... in 2006 or 2007.

So there was confusion on the phone as he thought I had found the original pack they lost up in northern BC, and I thought they had just lost the pack. Once we sorted that out, he told me about what his friend had lost in the original pack, and bunch of the gear lined up with it. But not all of it or the bag itself lined up, and some gear was brand new and current.

So what we now figure is that back in 2006 or 2007 (he couldn't remember which year exactly they had that hunt in) some guy picked up Dale's friends lost pack. And that since then he has been using the gear and adding to it as well. And carrying the old instant camera with it still. Maybe he had seen their truck that trip and was hoping to give it back if he ever saw it in the area? But the current pack owner must have tossed it on top of his truck or quad or something 2 weeks ago while packing in the dark and it bailed off onto the side of the freeway where I found it on my way in to work in the early morning.

Kinda cool ending. The camera has been lost-and-found 2x but the pictures are now making it back to those with the memories of that trip. I'm meeting up with Dale on Tuesday to give him the pack, and he will be getting it back to the other guy in the pics. The original owner is going to grab what gear he knows is his, and then if the owner of all the current pack doesn't turn up, I guess I'll use the remaining gear to outfit my boy and me. (There is an old set of binos that would be perfect for him, and an old rangefinder I would love to use.)

Thanks for all the suggestions. Based on the fact that there had been so many views and no clear identification, I was almost certain this was Jelvis and Rocko (due to the fact that they're clearly skilled and successful hunters and no one recognizes them.)

If the owner of the current pack (lost 2+ weeks ago and containing the found gear as well as their own) has refrained from contacting me because they were afraid they would get attacked online for not finding the original pack owner, just PM me with a description of the pack and the stuff that was yours and you can take what you own from it as well.

BStrachan
11-12-2016, 11:09 AM
That so cool that you managed to track down the original owner. I bet he was surprised when he heard you had found the pack after all these years.

Spy
11-12-2016, 12:54 PM
Super cool story :-)

madtrapper85
11-12-2016, 07:31 PM
Awesome story!

Drillbit
11-12-2016, 10:32 PM
Were all the pictures from the original owner, or did the guy that used the pack and carried the camera for 10 years take any pictures?

Must've thought the camera was lucky
I know I wouldn't be able to keep a un-developed camera with me for 10 years, I'm way to curious.

kyleklassen
11-12-2016, 11:14 PM
so was this the same guy that was called out as areal asshole guide earlier in the thread?

cas-has-cars
11-13-2016, 10:19 AM
Good story, would be even better if we hear from the guy who found it the first time and find out why he
still kept everything together for so long.

redthorn
11-13-2016, 01:05 PM
Whoa. This is a full 10 years earlier than I would have thought to see kyleklassen on the thread.

I talked with him on the phone a good 20 minutes, and I had a great time. But we all have bad days and it's a tough and frustrating go guiding on the Fraser from what I understand, so he may have had some negative interactions in the past.

boxhitch
11-13-2016, 01:40 PM
Good karma coming your waay, attago.
Crazy that someone would pack around a found camera for so long, must have had a pic or two left to go

twopointertom
04-30-2017, 04:18 PM
Hey Redthorn,

That's a lot of leg work into finding the owner, developing the pics of the big moose and being honest enough to want to return the pack to the original owner. How did the meeting go when you met with Dale? I bet he was sure appreciative! Was all the gear claimed or did some go towards outfitting that young elk bugler you have?

Lastcar
04-30-2017, 06:11 PM
Whoa. This is a full 10 years earlier than I would have thought to see kyleklassen on the thread.

I laughed hard at this. Thank god this thread got another revive, I needed that.

wideopenthrottle
04-30-2017, 10:21 PM
shoulda posted all the pics....maybe some of the earlier ones were from a different owner of the camera and it has changed hands many times........heheheh

srthomas75
04-30-2017, 10:53 PM
I'm curious where in the province you found this? or how close it was to the guy's hunting grounds. [ same MU or 1000km away? ]

redthorn
05-01-2017, 04:04 PM
Hey Redthorn,

That's a lot of leg work into finding the owner, developing the pics of the big moose and being honest enough to want to return the pack to the original owner. How did the meeting go when you met with Dale? I bet he was sure appreciative! Was all the gear claimed or did some go towards outfitting that young elk bugler you have?

The meetup was pretty decent. Dale took the pack and reminisced about that hunt and the guys he was with on it. The pack and a lot of the gear that was in it were not from them and their lost gear on that trip years back. Gear he didn't recognize and current receipts etc in the pack so we figured some other guy had picked up and amalgamated in the stuff. The other hunter had passed away, and so he took the pack and pictures and was going to show that guy's kid, so that kid could take what was his father's. He was going to get the rest back to me in a few weeks so I could use it to outfit my boy if it wasn't claimed. To be honest, there was a nice rangefinder and bino's in that pack that I could really use and had a hard time letting go of after having found. But they were never mine.

Fast forward to today, I have not heard a thing back from Dale on the pack and the gear. I guess they claimed it all. Not even a thank you or few bucks to pay for the film developing. Oh well, I never owned any of it, although I did get my hopes up that they would return at least some of the stuff that wasn't theirs. At least that kid has his father's hunting pics. I feel good about that.

redthorn
05-01-2017, 04:06 PM
I'm curious where in the province you found this? or how close it was to the guy's hunting grounds. [ same MU or 1000km away? ]

Found it along the highway in Region 2. Long ways off from their hunting grounds and many years after they lost theirs. Had just been re-lost that morning as the ground was dewy and the pack was dry. Still interested to find the guy who found their stuff and carried that instant camera around for years with his own gear...