PDA

View Full Version : LEH Elk on Private Land

Belle
07-01-2007, 03:11 PM
My hunting buddy and myself drew LEH elk up in the Peace, Chetwynd, Ft. St. John and Dawson Creek area from Dec to Feb. We are looking for any land owners that wish to have some of their problem elk removed as this draw is for private land or 1000 metres of crown land adjasent to private land. Any Leads would help.:confused:

srupp
07-01-2007, 03:50 PM
Belle contact the Conservation dept up there..they have a LIST of ranchers and their phone #'s for just this reason...however I think with all the damage this year there will be another general open season for any elk after January again...

Steven

hunter1947
07-01-2007, 05:09 PM
If you know that there are elk on there property ,i would go start banging on doors and ask them if i could help them out buy shooting an elk on the property.

boxhitch
07-01-2007, 06:45 PM
ask them if i could help them out buy shooting an elk on the property.
I know you didn't mean it this way. :) $$$ ?

ruger#1
07-01-2007, 06:57 PM
Ah Wayne so your just in it for the $$$ , Thats bad very bad.

Belle
07-01-2007, 07:48 PM
Thanks, the problem being that it's pretty hard to scout the area before when you live in the lower mainland thats why I thought I better start asking now. It's interesting that in the Cranbrook trench the ranchers there are putting their names forward to the CO before the season and making contacts with the guys who drew in their area through them. With the number of allocations for the Peace it's obvious that instead of an emergency opening like last year they are taking advantage of it and collecting the fees and getting the guys that are interested in really hunting the area, maybe they hope to have a more consistent result. But they should set up contacts with the land owners like in region 4. It would benefit both interested parties.

Steeleco
07-01-2007, 08:13 PM
I've heard of the ranchers in the Christian valley doing the same thing. They hate the elk for the damage they do to their crops.

hunter1947
07-02-2007, 05:06 AM
Ah Wayne so your just in it for the $$$ , Thats bad very bad. Your a funny guy ruger,:mrgreen:.

Elkhound
07-03-2007, 10:40 AM
I know of 2 people with this tag as well Belle. Dec -Feb right?

Belle
07-03-2007, 11:00 AM
I called the Ft. St. John office at 250-787-3411, don't call the other number 250-787-3225 or you will get lost in their electronic message round about like I did for about 20 minutes and they can have a list faxed or e-mailed to them, there are about 34 names in various areas and some of them are for the mule deer openings as well.

Hope this helps others who are looking for places to hunt.8)

Elkhound
07-03-2007, 11:02 AM
Thanks Belle. Did you get a list of names?

boxhitch
07-03-2007, 01:55 PM
Wonder how they feel, now that they are infamous on the WWW ?

Elkhound
07-03-2007, 02:25 PM
Wonder how they feel, now that they are infamous on the WWW ?

Well it is a list that is open to the public with just a phone call.:wink:

Belle
07-03-2007, 03:44 PM
If the moderaters feel that my last post should be removed, feel free to remove it, I only posted it to help others. But yes I can see a point that if any anti hunters wanted to ruin it for us this would be their first start to turn off the ranchers who want our help.

boxhitch
07-03-2007, 03:58 PM
I have no problem with it, myself.

Elkhound
07-03-2007, 04:07 PM
hmmmmm never thought about antis. But they could still get the info with a phone call so I will leave the info up unless Marc wants it removed.

hunter1947
07-03-2007, 04:50 PM
Just go there and do it ,i would start banging on doors when i got there asking for there permission to harvest a cow elk , you have nothing to loose ,only to gain ,you might get turned down from a few ,and there will be some that would give you the OK.:wink:.

larry56b
07-04-2007, 12:03 PM
Thanks For The List Of Phone Numbers .should Be A Big Help.the Buddies And I Have 3 Draws For Elk And We're Coming From The Lower Mainland So We Need All The Info We Can Get.any Idea How Big These Antlerless Elk Are And Do We Need A Snowmobile Or Quad To Pull Them Out.may Seem Like Dumb Questions But I Need To Plan Ahead. Thanks For Any Info.......larry

Belle
07-04-2007, 01:42 PM
I hunted up by Pink Mountain about 6 years ago when I was lucky enough to get a bison draw. Yes at that time of the year a snowmobile would be recommended as we had to go back about 20 klm to get to the animals, but being on private land you shouldn't need to go that far. But I would still plan on taking at least one for the group to help pack out meat, that's what we are planning to do.

Marc
07-04-2007, 02:01 PM
Belle. I've delted the list, what you could do is if anyone would like a copy of the numbers they could contact you in PM or meial for it.

Thanks, Marc.

Belle
07-04-2007, 04:32 PM
Thanks, the contact # of the Ft. St. John office is on one of my earlier posts if people wish to use it. I shouldn't have posted the list, just the contact # we need to work with the ranchers to build good relations for future hunting and not jeopradize it. I guess I just got caught up with the good information that others could use.