PDA

View Full Version : Tech Help

zpruden
11-07-2016, 11:19 PM
Hey all,
I have been trying to play with the crown land/lease land layer for google earth but I'm not having much luck. I am trying to find out what in my area is crown lease land and what is privately owned, and I'm not sure what layers i need to have on.
Any help on how to navigate my way through this would be awesome
Thanks

Whonnock Boy
11-07-2016, 11:50 PM
Scroll down to BC Gov Land Ownership and Status WMS. Hit the "plus" sign 2 times after that. Scroll down to Integrated Cadastral Fabric. Expand that, and check off what you want it to show. Hope this helps.

Slinky Pickle
11-08-2016, 08:42 AM
See if this helps.

https://youtu.be/EqRXKLeNVBo

Ryo
11-08-2016, 09:03 AM
Whonnockboy pointed you to the right data set - integrated cadastric fabric. Now, be mindful that those layers are scale sensitive, so you'll probably have to zoom in to 1:20,000 or closer. Also, there are a lot of 'unknown' parcels.sometimes these are crownland designated for future sale, sometimes they are co-managed nature conservancy lands, and sometimes they are just unknown. i've yet to see a private land parcel show up as unknown however. Boots on the ground usually clears up the 'unknown' - but google earth gives a pretty good headstart

mike31154
11-08-2016, 09:19 AM
After updating the DataBC .kml file recently, things weren't working the same way with the private land ownership layer for me in Google Earth. In the process of trying to figure it out, I came across what I consider an easier to navigate, more feature rich .kml from FrontCounterBC.

http://www.frontcounterbc.gov.bc.ca/mapping/

Click "Launch Discovery Tool" bar on that web page & the .kml will download for you. PDF instructions & tutorial are right there as well. I was playing around with this the other day & found a base map layer (Quick Base) capable of adding contours & overlaying a lot of geographic detail, such as creeks. More than I've been able to get from the DataBC .kml.

Things are a little busy in the graphic below with the contours etc. Using the Standard option for Quick Base, the contours are omitted, but you still see tons of local geography not provided by GEarth. Crown land is purple here, private is the yellowish/tan. Everything else is a free for all. The purple areas are still ok to hunt (so are the yellows I reckon, if you have permission from the landowner).
https://ddkvdw.dm2302.livefilestore.com/y3mk2ICUEMEm_XCXFWklgllwEgYpl54aAaOaGBlbToHLPXGr08 Gt0TZ4ZlMnewCebiO-lAIbKdQnRhFtJV4MrbSGoLY-YDcirEfiMKDhBiAp0xy2xnsAJuPoq7apQEtMHvFj6TDBTmwh6X ws14Am0LYUuLW46xnyK-glBWwy1meWFE?width=1024&height=576&cropmode=none

Jovesque
11-08-2016, 08:15 PM
Frontcounterbc also has a tenures layer (basically leased crown land). I called in about it, and in some instances these areas are off grounds for hunting.

Whonnock Boy
11-08-2016, 08:45 PM
I'm going to assume most of these crown land leases are grazing leases, and not many ranchers are restricting access to the leased land. Hopefully it stays that way.

Frontcounterbc also has a tenures layer (basically leased crown land). I called in about it, and in some instances these areas are off grounds for hunting.