PDA

View Full Version : Bear and Dear Hunt Questions

TheTwelve
11-07-2016, 05:01 PM
Hello.

im very new to hunting, i have only been out 2-3 times in the past 2 years and havent gotten anything yet. i am heading out this weekend and next weekend hoping to get a deer or black bear, in region 2 or 3. i live is abbotsford and have seen countless number of videos on how to dress the animal in the field.. my only concern is, where would i go to get it butchered properly? I ive in a condo complex so i cant just string it up in my parking stall and do it myself....

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

adriaticum
11-07-2016, 05:07 PM
You can just quarter it in your camp and make sure you leave evidence of sex on a deer attached to one of the hind quarters. Ball sack.
Then make sure you have game bags and put the meat and quarters in the bags, then in a cooler or wrap it in a tarp and you're golden.
I live in a condo too and this is no problem.

- Have a 2,3 tarps
- 4,5 game bags.
- Large coolers, 1 or 2

TheTwelve
11-07-2016, 05:13 PM
would garbage bags work? and do i need to wait for the meat to cool before i put into bags and knot it up? or knot it up and put on ice?

thanks

adriaticum
11-07-2016, 05:21 PM
garbage bags are good for garbage.
not for meat.
They are sprayed to prevent odor and you're rolling your meat in that stuff.
Yes you have to make sure the meat is completely cool before locking it in an air tight space.

Bring clean bed sheets if you don't have game bags

Always best to leave meat in contact with air until it cools.

If you are going back home immediately after the kill and have a pickup then just put it on a clean tarp it will cool.
Also avoid water as much as you can.

TheTwelve
11-07-2016, 05:25 PM
well im heading to pick up ammo today, so ill get bags while im there.. i just need to figure out where to take it to get processed in steaks and ground, etc.

thanks for all the help!

adriaticum
11-07-2016, 05:32 PM
well im heading to pick up ammo today, so ill get bags while im there.. i just need to figure out where to take it to get processed in steaks and ground, etc.

thanks for all the help!

Do it yourself.
You are spending all this money, and sweat on this and then having someone do the best part of it.

TheTwelve
11-07-2016, 05:34 PM
maybe ill dig around youtube and try to find some guides on cutting :P

Whonnock Boy
11-07-2016, 05:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xijmge8_NJwHere is the start, and it is the same on every ungulate, and predator for that matter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xijmge8_NJw

RackStar
11-07-2016, 05:46 PM
yes, do it yourself.
It can be done for very cheap. especially a deer.
you need:
Cutting board
Knives
Butcher paper
Tape
You can buy a cheaper grinder from cabelas or costco that will do the job, or if you must just take your trim to a butcher for sausage and get him to ground some for burger.
I paid for a butcher once, never again.
Unless that is i bag the animal on the last day of the hunt before i start work and have no time, then i have no choice.

AgSilver
11-07-2016, 06:15 PM
...and make sure you leave evidence of sex on a deer attached to one of the hind quarters. Ball sack.

Not to be the guy correcting someone giving helpful advice (sorry adriaticum), but it's also very important to leave the unskinned tail on if going this route:

Per p.20 of the Regs for male deer:

(i) that portion of the head which
bears the antlers, OR
(ii) the unskinned tail and either a
testicle or part of the penis.

knighthunter
11-07-2016, 06:23 PM
If your going looking for a Dear, I'd suggest you figure out how to undress her first, then usually they dress themselves afterwards. LOL.

Wild one
11-07-2016, 06:39 PM
If your going looking for a Dear, I'd suggest you figure out how to undress her first, then usually they dress themselves afterwards. LOL.

If you know what you are doing they will even undress them self lol

boxhitch
11-07-2016, 06:42 PM
Bare dear hunt?

Wild one
11-07-2016, 07:04 PM
Bare dear hunt?

Only time you can legally night hunt in BC lol

Sinperama
11-07-2016, 11:18 PM
Hello.

im very new to hunting, i have only been out 2-3 times in the past 2 years and havent gotten anything yet. i am heading out this weekend and next weekend hoping to get a deer or black bear, in region 2 or 3. i live is abbotsford and have seen countless number of videos on how to dress the animal in the field.. my only concern is, where would i go to get it butchered properly? I ive in a condo complex so i cant just string it up in my parking stall and do it myself....

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Why not?
If you have asian neighbors, you can do it.
If people can run grow-ops inside their apartments, you can butcher your legally obtained game in your apartment :)

Gateholio
11-08-2016, 01:02 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xijmge8_NJwHere is the start, and it is the same on every ungulate, and predator for that matter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xijmge8_NJw

I've seen that video and a few others in the past, and they are humbling, even though I am very fast with a knife since I am a retired chef. :)

That said, many hunters could learn a thing or two about dealing with meat in the field. It can be really fast. I'll never forget the older, somewhat disabled guy I gave a hand to a few years ago. He had shot a deer and was trying to load it in his truck, whole, so he could take it back to his camp and winch it onto a pole. I offered to deal with it right there, so he didn't have to do much,and I wasn't going back to his camp, anyway.....

He was skeptical, but with him holding legs and stuff, in 25 minutes I had it done gutless, in pieces he could manage, then popped out the tenderloins, liver and heart. He was a bit bug eyed. Said he had never seen a deer processed so fast...Funny, because PG66 and I have completely broken down a deer in the field in no more than 15 minutes, but that is with 2 skilled knives moving fast, of course. :)

Point is- you can get it cut up yourself with a bit of effort. Nothing wrong with using a butcher, but an ugly looking roast from a home cut deer tastes the same as a pretty cut from a butcher :)

BigBanger
11-08-2016, 02:19 AM
Gut the deer and hang it in camp overnight. Phone Paige Creek coolers (in Abby). Drop your deer off there, he will hang it in his cooler for a week and debone it for $80. Pick up the deboned meat and take it to a sausage maker and have your pepperoni and sausage made. Simple really.

olympia
11-08-2016, 10:33 AM
maybe ill dig around youtube and try to find some guides on cutting :P

You are overthinking this. Go on google and look up game cutters in greater vancouver and then phone them to ask if they have room in case u bag something. You're like my buddy....just google the info you need, dont have to ask hbc. As for quartering game, hust follow what u remember from the videos and if you make a mistake dont repeat next time. You learn best by doing it and not recognizing your mistakes and not repeating. So a recap, watch youtube video and copy it to your best abilities, take adriactums advice on tarps and coolers, google game cutters, employ common sense and expect to make a mistake here and there and move on

adriaticum
11-08-2016, 10:41 AM
This video is a good example of how you can cut your deer at home on a table.
But not a good example of how it happens in the field.
Find a video of guys quartering it in the field.

TheTwelve
11-12-2016, 02:16 PM
thank you for the video, and the rest of the info!

Glenny
11-12-2016, 02:34 PM
would garbage bags work? and do i need to wait for the meat to cool before i put into bags and knot it up? or knot it up and put on ice?

thanks

Yes do not wrap the quarters until it has cooled right down. Say overnight. Also make sure if you quarter a deer to leave a patch of hide on each section. The tail must now also be attached.

TravisC
11-12-2016, 02:51 PM
There are a lot of butchers in the lower main land. Some charge per pound others charge by animal. I believe there is a forum on her with a list of butchers in your area. The place I used this year was 85$ a deer 75$ last year :( and the moose was .80$ pound. Shoot it, gut it, and skin it, and drive it to a butcher. Depending what your are after some butchers don't ask they just assume if not told so if you don't want them to add fat to your game be sure to tell them that. That was the worst. Went to pick up my deer and was charged for pork fat, when I inquired about that I was told that it was added to my ground. I was SOME pissed. Each to his own so make sure you specify EXACTLY what you wish when going to a butcher. I butchered my own since that experience, some exceptions like this year was 2 moose and 3 deer are a little too much to do myself in a garage without a hanging cooler.

Glenny
11-12-2016, 04:22 PM
There are a lot of butchers in the lower main land. Some charge per pound others charge by animal. I believe there is a forum on her with a list of butchers in your area. The place I used this year was 85$ a deer 75$ last year :( and the moose was .80$ pound. Shoot it, gut it, and skin it, and drive it to a butcher. Depending what your are after some butchers don't ask they just assume if not told so if you don't want them to add fat to your game be sure to tell them that. That was the worst. Went to pick up my deer and was charged for pork fat, when I inquired about that I was told that it was added to my ground. I was SOME pissed. Each to his own so make sure you specify EXACTLY what you wish when going to a butcher. I butchered my own since that experience, some exceptions like this year was 2 moose and 3 deer are a little too much to do myself in a garage without a hanging cooler.

Hmm. That is strange to add pork to someones deer ground. Strange indeed.