PDA

View Full Version : How long does deer/moose poop stay stinky for?

Harvest the Land
11-07-2016, 02:08 PM
Came across a decent amount of super fresh deer and moose poop this weekend. It was shiny, slimy with some flem, and it still smelled like shite. Just wondering how old this poop could be.

Anyone have any ideas as to how long deer/moose poop will hold its odour for (hours? days? a week?)

Thanks in advance.

adriaticum
11-07-2016, 02:16 PM
You spooked him.

Harvest the Land
11-07-2016, 02:23 PM
Very cool stuff! Thanks for the info adriaticum

Wild one
11-07-2016, 02:24 PM
You must taste it too truly know lol

if it is still steaming look in the bush around you and ignore the poop

for the most part I need to see it to guess.

takla1
11-07-2016, 02:33 PM
If its that fresh he lives there,especially if theres lots in a concentrated area.It will be sticky to the touch and be accompanied with fresh track.Thats when I sit down and tickle the rattle bag with good shooting lanes all around..

takla...

srupp
11-07-2016, 02:35 PM
You must taste it too truly know lol

if it is still steaming look in the bush around you and ignore the poop

for the most part I need to see it to guess.

Hmm if it still tastes salty...it's under a hour old...kidding..

Elmer FuddRuppster

carnivore
11-07-2016, 02:56 PM
There seem to be quite a few amateur " Scatologists" on this site.:)

srupp
11-07-2016, 03:13 PM
Too many variables..what was the animal eating..how much water content in food..how hydrated the animal was..how much water content in gi tract..how much movement by Animal...sedate lounging or travelling helping the GI tract function properly..health of animal..even how much food eaten..most that can be gleaned..what type of animal deposited the offering. ..and relatively fresh or not.
Temperature, ground moisture..cloud cover, fog, type of ground and ground cover..recent moisture..too many variables to look and say 22 minutes old..steaming pile on snowy day....Hmmmmmmm

Steven

takla1
11-07-2016, 03:52 PM
I shot a mulie buck in his bedroom a couple yrs back.I parked in a logged out valley and hiked up the cut block and over into the next drainage.The area was seeing lot of truck hunters and few where hikeing around.
When I got into the next drainage I immediately came across fresh piles,dark shiney and sticky with scraps all around.This was the first hr of the first day hunting,we hadn't even set camp yet.
I sat right there as it was elevated position over a heavily traveled trail...a few rattles on the bag and a couple doe bleats later a nice 3 point came right in..dropped on the spot.
Youll know it when you find shit that fresh.

takla

Iron Glove
11-07-2016, 04:21 PM
If our dogs won't eat it then it's over a week old. :smile:

HarryToolips
11-07-2016, 04:24 PM
Too many variables..what was the animal eating..how much water content in food..how hydrated the animal was..how much water content in gi tract..how much movement by Animal...sedate lounging or travelling helping the GI tract function properly..health of animal..even how much food eaten..most that can be gleaned..what type of animal deposited the offering. ..and relatively fresh or not.
Temperature, ground moisture..cloud cover, fog, type of ground and ground cover..recent moisture..too many variables to look and say 22 minutes old..steaming pile on snowy day....Hmmmmmmm

Steven

This....lots of variables to consider...

finngun
11-07-2016, 06:57 PM
If our dogs won't eat it then it's over a week old. :smile:
Tellya pooch...ya what ya eat. poop pooch
Like Licking. ya face?

Harvest the Land
11-07-2016, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the replies. Ok, so there are tons of variables and its impossible to tell specifically when the deer or moose was there - I get that.

Just was looking for a ballpark idea. Like is it possible for the poop to still have an odour say a week after it was defecated? Or does the smell usually go away after a few days, or within a day?

Wild one
11-07-2016, 07:20 PM
I would assume it would be fairly fresh

scoutlt1
11-07-2016, 07:34 PM
Lots of good points on here....but I always figure if it's shiny, sticky and smelly....usually pretty close and definitely worth tracking.

But I've been wrong many times before. :)

Caribou_lou
11-07-2016, 07:46 PM
I've never noticed it to smell at all. Give it a kick, if it looks the same in the middle of the pile than it does on top...it's fresh. If it has a different colour it's older.