PDA

View Full Version : Rain Tech (calls, gear, guns, and bows) what works for you?

Jovesque
11-06-2016, 10:48 AM
What sort of tricks and tech have you guy's found to help you manage the days of constant wet?

TCMX
11-06-2016, 11:04 AM
I like my cabelas instinct rain "packable" rain jacket, solo hunter range finder case with rain cover, Outdoor Research Gaiters, badlands bino harness.

Squamch
11-06-2016, 03:29 PM
Cabelas space-rain rain gear, or pioneer rubber, depending on if it's just pissing rain or if it's a full blown monsoon.

Lowa GTX boots

And just this weekend I discovered glacier gloves aleutian hunters...waterproof gloves. Not having freezing cold wet hands was awesome.

and I like to have a full change of dry cotton clothes in the truck.
I also keep a stove in my pack, after gutting and skinning, being able to wash your hands in warm water is awesome. Being able to have a warm lunch, and a cup of coffee (Starbucks via instant) can be a real game changer too.

Jovesque
11-08-2016, 08:24 PM
I like the cabela's space rain gear too; I was sceptical, but so far it's been dandy.

My main challenge is keeping my glass clean on my binos. I use them a lot and find it rather difficult to keep up with the rain polluting my glass. I'm curious what others have found to work for them, but mostly I'm hoping for some magical tip.

Squamch
11-09-2016, 07:44 AM
I use rainx antifog wipes on my glass, but also keep a shop towel of two in an inside pocket for wiping glass off. I've never found a surefire way to keep it from fogging.

Fella
11-09-2016, 08:34 AM
Helly Hansen rain gear.

Ryo
11-09-2016, 08:57 AM
What I learnt last season;
My arcteryx goretex soaks through
my northface goretex soaks through
my Solomon boots soak through
my AGC Bino pack soaks through
my old weaver scope fogs up
my iPhone is dead.

my sealline dry bag backpack stays dry, so does the inside of my car.

Don't count on waterproof technology, have a plan to get dry!

Jovesque
11-09-2016, 06:35 PM
I use rainx antifog wipes on my glass, but also keep a shop towel of two in an inside pocket for wiping glass off. I've never found a surefire way to keep it from fogging.

Thanks Squamch, I'll check that out; where can I find it?

I keep a small camp towel from MEC in my pocket to wipe the glass, but towards the end of a day it gets soaked. Guess I should have a spare.

So far my boots are golden - I picked up a pair of columbia boots from winners this year and so far they're the best hunting boots I've owned. They get wet from sweat but at the end of the day I put them on the boot dryer and they're good to go the next morning.

Xbow
11-09-2016, 06:47 PM
What I learnt last season;
My arcteryx goretex soaks through
my northface goretex soaks through
my Solomon boots soak through
my AGC Bino pack soaks through
my old weaver scope fogs up
my iPhone is dead.

my sealline dry bag backpack stays dry, so does the inside of my car.

Don't count on waterproof technology, have a plan to get dry!

LMAO this is the truth
After 15 season on the wet coast the only thing that will not soak threw is RUBBER!!!!!
But then your sweating so much your wet anyway!!!!!

Fella
11-09-2016, 07:05 PM
Wool works alright if it's not raining cats and dogs or you're under the thick canopy. You'll still get wet but you'll at least be warm.

SaintSix
11-10-2016, 06:47 PM
I use helly Hansen impertech jacket and a lighter rubber type helly Hansen pant. they will keep you dry...BUT you have to be walking slow or glassing. any real movement and you'll overheat and sweat to the point your wet inside. so any hiking I do is with a fleece then when I get to the area I switch over to my helly's. As for optical my binos/range finder is the swaro and it has a little rubber eye piece I try my best to have on when not up to my face. and I use typical bungee style scope covers for hiking and when I get to the area I might throw on my sunshade. it works pretty good when the rifle is horizontal.

Surrey Boy
11-10-2016, 08:26 PM
Flip-up scope caps help lens maintainance.

Wool/synthetic clothing. Thick socks. Layers.

Clean and oil your gun when you get home, but don't sweat it.

longstonec
11-11-2016, 12:32 AM
I have bad circulation in my hands from my years ski coaching. My hands get wet they get cold and non functioning. So many pairs of gloves.
Flip open scope caps
Caps/ lens covers on binos
Spare dry socks, thanks ziplock.
extra merino wool underlayer or two to change into at halfway point though day.
Enjoy being wet and pruned.
single layer of electrical tape over end of barrel.
G96 gun treatment
hot chocolate and baileys when home.
If you don't move around a lot. wearing a small towel around your neck with raincoat collar done up over is great for stopping water running down your back.