PDA

View Full Version : Spike Moose Video

montec assassin
11-05-2016, 09:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OpbOnkSXC4&feature=youtu.be

I hope this link works. it is to a video I filmed on my cell phone while bowhunting whitetails and moose in a spike/fork season in region 3 this year. It gets a little dry after about 3 minutes, just some air time of me doing some embarrassing calls. Feel free to stop watching if necessary.
So, my reason for posting is just for entertainment. I really enjoyed making this video and thought I'd share it.

The story is this...
I had been walking along a FSR for a few kms, and came to my first clear cut. I immediately see the bull on the right hand side about 150 yards out. I spot the Cow and Calf as well. I started positioning myself for a better look behind the slash pile when they start heading my way. I say to myself, "This is fantastic!, I should get this on film!" So I put my bow on the ground and pulled out my phone. As you see in the video, it was after 30 seconds or so that I realize the calf is a spike. I confirmed it with the binos and yes, he had approx 6" spikes on him.

In the heat of the moment, I was enjoying myself a lot, and shooting him became second on the list. And to be honest, it wasn't the circumstances I was expecting if I had ever come across a spike/fork. (being with his mother) I don't mind shooting a spike mule in front of his sisters (as I did the weekend before) but I really enjoyed seeing the moose all together etc.

I'm satisfied with how everything played out. However, if I was a more accomplished hunter I would have got ready to shoot when they started approaching in case I identified the spike, instead of turning it into "Lorne Greene's New Wilderness" Regardless, A great day in the woods. At one point in the video I say something like "I'm not gonna shoot him, he's with his family". I'm not looking for backlash, I know the bigger bull isn't his daddy and they are not out for a family stroll or anything. I was just talking to myself about the situation.

So, without stirring the pot on Spike/Fork legalities, I do have a question. In the regs under definition of spike fork, it says "Does not include a calf"
My initial identification of this moose was that it was a calf - primarily because it was in the presence of his mother and you can see he does not leave her side the whole time. Is this spike moose legal? To be clear, the reason i didn't shoot this moose wasn't because of a legal stand point. I had a tag, he was well within my shooting range, It just didn't happen. Regardless, Legal spike/fork?

Again, just sharing one of my experiences and maybe having some open dialogue on the topic.

barry1974w
11-05-2016, 09:33 PM
I think the "does not include calf" thing is in reference to the little lumps that bull calves sometimes get where their antlers will be the next year. As to wether that one is a calf or a small yearling I can't tell you, but if it had six inch hard antler spikes it'd be legal.
I once spotted two moose together, looked through the binos, ones a bull, jump out and shoot it. Buddy says, wow that was a big cow, it never occurred to me that the cow was way bigger than the bull. Turns out that I shot a four by five bull that dressed out at under 300 pounds.... maybe an early calf from that spring, maybe a late calf from the year before, I don't know. But man was he good eating
Nice video, you have more restraint than me

bang flop
11-05-2016, 09:46 PM
Cool video. Thanks for sharing your hunting experience. He would have been a good eater!

tinhorse
11-05-2016, 09:57 PM
Very cool. They sure hung around for a while there.

montec assassin
11-05-2016, 10:58 PM
thanks barry1974w. thats a good point with the lumps

landphil
11-05-2016, 11:01 PM
It is a clearly a calf, stub-nosed and all. Not a spike-fork bull. And as you say, the regs specifically exclude calves from the spike-fork bull season. Look up the definition of "calf" in the regs if you don't believe me.

And yes, many will disagree.

Caribou_lou
11-05-2016, 11:27 PM
It is a clearly a calf, stub-nosed and all. Not a spike-fork bull. And as you say, the regs specifically exclude calves from the spike-fork bull season. Look up the definition of "calf" in the regs if you don't believe me.

And yes, many will disagree.

I believe he was referring bull being the Immy. I may be wrong but that's how I interpret the video.

I just watched the video again and missed the part about calf being a bull. My bad

Caribou_lou
11-05-2016, 11:29 PM
Great video! Shows some of the noises cows make. Why? Who knows. It almost looked to me like she had another calf she was trying to locate. You should post this video to another thread that was recently put up about calling moose. Very educational.

MRP
11-06-2016, 08:35 AM
Turn your phone on it's side makes a nicer looking video format. Next time.

Mishka
11-06-2016, 08:49 AM
Thanks for sharing your video. Always nice to see stuff like that. I would consider that to be a calf as well.

ryanonthevedder
11-06-2016, 08:52 AM
Calf Moose
- a moose less than 12 months
of age usually less than 5 feet at shoulder height
weighing 200-300 lbs.

You will have to card him first... I think you made the right call there. He certainly looked "calfy".

Whonnock Boy
11-06-2016, 10:46 AM
Although I could not tell from the video if there was only two points on one side, it was a legal spike/fork. If there was, it's probably already dead. lol

rocksteady
11-06-2016, 11:47 AM
The difference between a calf as mentioned is the "bumps" however if he has bony protrusions he is legally classed as a bull..

Fixit
11-06-2016, 01:23 PM
great video, makes me wish i wasnt off work with an injured back and i could have been chasing my 7-10 bull tag

landphil
11-06-2016, 06:32 PM
Although I could not tell from the video if there was only two points on one side, it was a legal spike/fork. If there was, it's probably already dead. lol

He's not talking about the small bull with antlers visible.

The difference between a calf as mentioned is the "bumps" however if he has bony protrusions he is legally classed as a bull..

Re-read the "Buck or Bull", "Spike-fork moose" and "calf moose" definitions in your regs, the definitions have been changed a bit in recent years. It's very clear that calves are excluded. And that little moose in OP's video sure fits the description of a calf, regardless if he has little spikes.

Skull Hunter
11-06-2016, 10:32 PM
Tough call, I would tend to think that calf was last years calf, which would mean he is legal as a spike/fork. I can't see a calf from this spring being that size.

Whonnock Boy
11-06-2016, 10:39 PM
Ya, I don't know what animal he is thinking about. The one is definitely the calf from this year, but I would say the bull is a year and a half old, quite possibly last years calf.

He's not talking about the small bull with antlers visible.

montec assassin
11-06-2016, 11:04 PM
The bigger bull was clearly not a spike fork. I am questioning the legality of the smaller, middle moose that had 6" spikes on it. I have not observed many calves in the field to be able to recognize whether he was more than or less than a year old. I understand there are ways to judge based on height, weight and nose, but when I asked him for two pieces of ID, he ran away, which makes me think he's hiding something.

todbartell
11-06-2016, 11:19 PM
looks like a calf, acts like a calf. Bony spikes would suggest a 1.5 year old animal but maybe not in this case?

Regs say spike/fork is a bull moose having no more than 2 tines on one antler, DOES NOT INCLUDE CALF

Calf moose description is : a moose less than 12 months old of age usually less than 5' @ shoulders and weighing 200-300 lbs

Now that moose looks heavier than 300lbs to me by a bit. Last immature bull I shot dressed out at 285 lbs (skinned, quartered, legs cut off at joint)

f350ps
11-06-2016, 11:28 PM
looks like a calf, acts like a calf. Bony spikes would suggest a 1.5 year old animal but maybe not in this case?

Regs say spike/fork is a bull moose having no more than 2 tines on one antler, DOES NOT INCLUDE CALF

Calf moose description is : a moose less than 12 months old of age usually less than 5' @ shoulders and weighing 200-300 lbs

Now that moose looks heavier than 300lbs to me by a bit. Last immature bull I shot dressed out at 285 lbs (skinned, quartered, legs cut off at joint)
Here's a scenario, that same "CALF" standing 100yds away in a slash all by itself, dump it or let it walk? I'll tell ya what I would do, I'd be eating a very tender steak for dinner tomorrow! K

Whonnock Boy
11-07-2016, 09:17 AM
I don't see any "spikes" on the calf, and the video is inconclusive when it comes to showing the antler configuration on the bull. I do know this..... the op's moose call is horrendous. :lol:

madtrapper85
11-07-2016, 09:48 AM
Good job showing patience. Nice to see that when you were unsure, that you to let it pass! Keep up the good hunting ethics!

todbartell
11-08-2016, 08:50 PM
Here's a scenario, that same "CALF" standing 100yds away in a slash all by itself, dump it or let it walk? I'll tell ya what I would do, I'd be eating a very tender steak for dinner tomorrow! K

HBC saints would be upset if I answered that one :)

barry1974w
11-08-2016, 09:05 PM
The bigger bull was clearly not a spike fork. I am questioning the legality of the smaller, middle moose that had 6" spikes on it. I have not observed many calves in the field to be able to recognize whether he was more than or less than a year old. I understand there are ways to judge based on height, weight and nose, but when I asked him for two pieces of ID, he ran away, which makes me think he's hiding something.

definitely hiding something, or just embarrassed cause he's a year and a half out and still living with mama