PDA

View Full Version : rattling and can calling for blacktails

northbc
11-03-2016, 10:03 PM
whats the right way to do this? Rattle a bit, sit and wait or keep moving? Can call as I'm still hunting, or just sit and wait? How effective is this for blacktails?

adriaticum
11-03-2016, 10:10 PM
The only time I ever saw a BT while hunting was when I was raking the trees with a branch.
Some young buck came to investigate.
There were lots of rubs in the area so if they are rubbing you might as well be rubbing too :mrgreen:

digger dogger
11-04-2016, 06:45 AM
Id be interested in hearing this also.
I usually wait for the shittyest weather possible, and creep slow.
The only time i've rattled blk tails, i tried to get two small bucks to come
closer(shotgun/bow zone), they both walk away in opposite direction, as soon as i rattled. :-(

Ryo
11-04-2016, 07:26 AM
Last year, overlooking a cutblock on a drizzly Remembrance Day evening, I did some calling for blacktail. I started out with a few estrous bleats, then waited 15 minutes. Then a couple more. After 30 minutes I threw in a grunt. 15 minutes later, some light rattling. At the one hour mark I was rattling hard and adding grunts. Then I'd do some combo of rattling and grunts every 15 minutes for 45 minutes or so.

I was wet, frozen and dejected. Nothing showed up whatsoever, after almost 2 hours of calling. So I got up and walked over to my partner, and what do I see - a mature buck, standing on the FSR, 20 yards behind us. He bounded off while my partner and I were fumbling with our guns...

Spy
11-04-2016, 07:39 AM
The can works, so do grunts & some rattling, not too aggressive. They always sneak in from where you can't see them, so make sure you have 360 view good luck out there the rut is on. I forecast many bucks hitting the ground this weekend.

tomahawk
11-04-2016, 08:08 AM
The can works, so do grunts & some rattling, not too aggressive. They always sneak in from where you can't see them, so make sure you have 360 view good luck out there the rut is on. I forecast many bucks hitting the ground this weekend.

He's got it!! Non aggressive if you rattle and calling with some beating a bush with a stick works. Arrowed 3 blacktails by calling them in.

ryanonthevedder
11-04-2016, 08:10 AM
I heard a buck fight last year for the first time and all the other deer in the area (does) were very interested in what was happening. I have garnered responses from a couple of bucks, but I have never been able to get one to come out of the bush for a shot. Every one that I have shot I had to sneak up on.

takla1
11-04-2016, 08:29 AM
He's got it!! Non aggressive if you rattle and calling with some beating a bush with a stick works. Arrowed 3 blacktails by calling them in.

Ive shot numerous BT bucks and most were comeing into aggresive rattleing.For this to work tho the rut has to be in full swing,aggresively rattleing before the rut and after will not show results from my experience.
When approaching my area's juring the rut I use the doe in heat can call sporatically until I'm in position to mask and noise I'm making heading in.Once positioned in my ground blind that's when I rattle hard every 30 minites or so...its worked for us just about every season .The bucks usually come in fairly fast nose down sniffing /alternateing head up high trying to get a visual of the "bucks going at it"....ruts just around the corner in 2-8 now
I lost my rattle bag last season,heading to Canadian tire for another today..

takla

ff89
11-04-2016, 08:45 AM
the last 2 times I went out I tried still hunting/rattling/can calling. I focused on keeping the wind in my face and basically used the rattling and can calling as cover noise when I knew I was going to break some sticks (which was often). The first time I was heading to specific spots where I've found beds and poop before so I wasn't being super sneaky in my approach, just relying on the wind in my favour and my deer noise instruments. When I got close to the spots I would slow right down and I ran in to one of the biggest blacktail bucks I have seen at close range.
Tried the same strategy yesterday and had a little 2 point coming at me full speed up a hill didn't know I was there. I was not expecting it to be coming so fast and my dog chased him off when he got too close, if she didn't he would have walked right in to us.
Prior to using this strategy I would rarely ever see does let alone bucks when on foot in blacktail country. So far its got a pretty good success rate but part of me thinks it might just be luck, I never really looked in to how to use the antlers and the can call before this and just kind of started rattling and tipping the call as I walked because it seemed like a good idea. Haven't done it and sat and waited for anything yet.

ff89
11-04-2016, 09:14 AM
Does time of day play any effect in when you want to rattle vs can call?

buckhunter76
11-04-2016, 09:23 AM
Agressive rattling if the ruts in full swing, if not i usually sit and tickle the antlers and let out some young buck grunts followed by doe bleats. I've also had great success tipping a can walking or just burping while I'm still hunting in 2-8 it's a myth that blacktails don't come into calling,I messed up my biggest blacktail sitting and calling in mature timber sat their for thee hours tipping a can and doing young buck grunts fog was rolling in and out heavy after three hours I stood up walked 15 yards to my right and 30 yards down the hill was a 135 to 140 4 point blacktail broadside, scope was fogged and he ran hahah. Helps if you find a scrape line as well

takla1
11-04-2016, 09:28 AM
Does time of day play any effect in when you want to rattle vs can call?

Ive hiked into spots and started rattleing at first light and had beded bucks and doe's rise up{the 4 point BT buck in my avatar was killed in this manor} ,and been rattleing at 11am-12 noon and had them run in from a distance,it depends on whats in the area and how rutted up the bucks are.This is why I rattle aggressively so the sound carries juring rut.A doe bleat is quiet and wont carry far.Now we are close to the rut we need cold weather.My last couple bucks were shot juring snow and freezeing temps higher up the slopes.The bucks will be moving down now tho

takla

takla

BigSkogButt
11-04-2016, 10:28 AM
Fun part of rattling is watching the other hunters looking for you. It's amazing how many people pay no attention to wind direction!

takla1
11-04-2016, 11:22 AM
Fun part of rattling is watching the other hunters looking for you. It's amazing how many people pay no attention to wind direction!

Even funnier watching elk hunters comeing into your buggleing.many times ive watched elk hunters running towards my buggles near last light from my vantage points,,,i usually pack up pretty quick just in case some moron starts unleashing lead my way

takla

Ron.C
11-04-2016, 12:07 PM
I've had decent success calling Blacktails during the rut. I have tried rattling with various size antlers and have had my best success with a set of small 4 point whitetail and not being too aggressive.

I only try rattling for black tail during the rut and have yet to have a buck come running in. Almost every buck has come in walking obviously looking hard for the source of the sound and a couple came in grunting loudly.

BigSkogButt
11-04-2016, 12:11 PM
I only try rattling for black tail during the rut and have yet to have a buck come running in. Almost every buck has come in walking obviously looking hard for the source of the sound and a couple came in grunting loudly.

Im pretty sure the only direction blacktails run is away.

Ron.C
11-04-2016, 12:45 PM
Im pretty sure the only direction blacktails run is away.
:razz:
Lol. Those *******s are to clever to run. They'd rather sneak away or just vanish!!!!

ff89
11-05-2016, 08:48 PM
Well tried again today, someone dropped some trees right across the road in the last 2 days, maybe to keep people out? Found a cam, lots of poop new and old and didn't see a single deer. I hear blacktail hunting is supposed to be good in the rain but no luck yet. Does fog play a factor?

ryanb
11-06-2016, 10:08 AM
I've had lots of luck with both rattling and grunting. Haven't had a blacktail respond to a doe call yet though....?

ruger#1
11-06-2016, 12:37 PM
Well tried again today, someone dropped some trees right across the road in the last 2 days, maybe to keep people out? Found a cam, lots of poop new and old and didn't see a single deer. I hear blacktail hunting is supposed to be good in the rain but no luck yet. Does fog play a factor? I seen six does and one buck this morning. It rained hard last night. This morning the weather was good. The buck was way up hill. Front end was in a bush. It started walking away. that's when I seen antler. and only antler. Tried a doe bleat. It kept walking. Never seen the body or head. I also seen a humming bird and a grouse. It was a very good morning.

Squamch
11-06-2016, 03:36 PM
Well tried again today, someone dropped some trees right across the road in the last 2 days, maybe to keep people out? Found a cam, lots of poop new and old and didn't see a single deer. I hear blacktail hunting is supposed to be good in the rain but no luck yet. Does fog play a factor?

Absolutely. If it's foggy theyll be more inclined to be out in the cuts...but you can't see them, cause it's foggy:p

caddisguy
11-06-2016, 05:53 PM

2x on having a 360 view... hide in some thick stuff that you can see through and all around ... rattle (using real antlers) a few weeks back we had a deer sneak up behind us and snort, then take off. It might have been a doe though, as I was doing a fawn call every hour or so... but key is that though they might come running in all stupid, there is a good chance they will sneak in.

I have only had deer come in to rattling and fawn calls (fawn calls can work this time of year as the does respond while the bucks follow) Grunting, I had a deer grunt back... no dice ever on the can call or the a rattle bag. I think can calls and grunt tubes hold deer in place more often then attracting. I use a grunt tube as a cover sound sometimes. I have heard of guys being successful with the rattle bag, but mileage might vary depending on the product. Mine sounded like a bag of plastic checkers so I switched it up for the real deal... try rattling some real antlers together or watching some bucks fight on youtube... if your rattle bag makes a different sound, toss it... there is a tuning-fork like effect that isn't easily replicated.

MOOSE MILK
11-07-2016, 01:06 AM
An old guy showed me this many years ago, tie a pair of small antlers on a length of leather shoe lace and hang from your belt so your leg will tickle them gently together as you slowly walk. You don't have to be too quiet with putting your foot down as the odd twig crack and leaf rustling adds to the effect of a couple of bucks sparring. Be sure to stop often and check your back trail.
Cut the sharp points off and round them with a file so they wont hurt so much if you slip and sit down on them!

Spy
11-07-2016, 02:02 AM
An old guy showed me this many years ago, tie a pair of small antlers on a length of leather shoe lace and hang from your belt so your leg will tickle them gently together as you slowly walk. You don't have to be too quiet with putting your foot down as the odd twig crack and leaf rustling adds to the effect of a couple of bucks sparring. Be sure to stop often and check your back trail.
Cut the sharp points off and round them with a file so they wont hurt so much if you slip and sit down on them!
I do that in my stand I hang them and just have to bump them to get a sound works great.