PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit hunting North of the LM

jassmine
11-03-2016, 09:58 PM
Have a few days off from some field work. Going to be around the squamish area but have lab vehicle so can drive a few hours. Anyone have any general area suggestions to bring out my new pup and have her scare up some rabbits?

Ohwildwon
11-03-2016, 10:42 PM
Pick an FSR 20 min of Kami and fill
your boots..

Coast mountains your wasting your time..

Good luck!

jassmine
11-03-2016, 10:55 PM
Thanks.
That was my fear, might have to change what I target up here and go out the other side of the LM for rabbits.

Looking_4_Jerky
11-03-2016, 10:59 PM
I can support what wildwon is saying. It seems as though the Kamloops area is experiencing a peak in the rabbit population cycle right now, or more like the last 5 years. They're all over and thick as theives! Wait until dusk and then cruise an FSR with some decent regenerated pine stands. Ideally 6' plus, and really thick. Although, now that the roadsides are not producing succulent grasses and forbs they might not be drawing the rabbits like they were. Would need an expert rabbit hunter to chime in.

ducktoller
11-03-2016, 11:39 PM
Was up near chance creek mid october and saw a decent number (for the area) on the roads before dawn but eff all of anything after that.

Either way it means the hare are there.

Was on the drier gravel parts of road next to thick deciduous cover

skibum
11-04-2016, 09:44 AM
Sorry no advise on area -

Before dusk, walk just inside the tree line in the Christmas trees keeping your eyes open, you will see a couple in the trees. As it gets darker the bunnies will be out at the road. As the season has gone on and the hares have been shot up, they don't come out in the numbers they did at the beginning of September. I try to extend the hunting day by walking the trees a couple hours before dark. The period between when the hares come out to the road and the end of shooting light is not that long.

I started leaving the my pup at home - he is super well trained, but he gets too excited in the field - and I think the hares cue in on this. I would get mad at his excitement in the field and that is not fair to him. When I retire in 25 years, I will have time to field train a pup. (I also have three small kids out with me -- that could be bit of a factor).

From my experience a pup won't scare up rabbits to shoot. They will "scare up" but the hares where I hunt run straight into the thick stuff (see previous paragraph). At dusk it is hard to spot them once in the bush.

Good luck

Gateholio
11-14-2016, 05:15 PM
How was your trip, Jassmine?

jassmine
12-19-2016, 07:16 PM
Ontario for Xmas should bring us more adventure than the few rabbits we saw.
We did run into the Roosevelt herd around Squamish which was a heck of a surprise!

albravo2
12-19-2016, 07:33 PM
I have never seen a rabbit around here. Lots of grouse, some wolves, a cougar kitten, couple moose, bunch of elk, couple deer, lots of bears but not one bunny.

I don't even buy rabbit tags anymore;-)

jagen mit DDrs
12-19-2016, 08:14 PM
Have a few days off from some field work. Going to be around the squamish area but have lab vehicle so can drive a few hours. Anyone have any general area suggestions to bring out my new pup and have her scare up some rabbits?

Depending on your dogs experience and the control you have over your dog...
1.young dog no experience:Hunt more open areas and keep your dog search in front of you,make sure he checks things out thoroughly,walk slow and keep your dog close.
Look 20yds ahead of the dog to find the bunnies.
2.young dog,some experience,stops on whistle;have him search in front of you and watch his movement(he'll tell you when he found something),as soon as the bunny flushes blow a stop and shoot the bunny(but only if he stopped)sounds like work...it is but it pays off in the long run.
3.experienced dog;searches in front of you,indicates bunny found,stops to flush,you shoot bunny and dog retrieves to hand.
4;excellent dog;searches independently a bigger area,finds bunny,tracks bunny giving tongue(scent or sight loud),chases bunny in front of you,stops on whistle or your presence,you shoot bunny and dog retrieves bunny.Perfect dog for areas you dont want to crawl through.

Note of caution;wouldn't take a young dog in an area where there are lots of bunnies....all your training goes out the window in a matter of seconds.

Good luck!

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
12-21-2016, 08:16 PM
Depending on your dogs experience and the control you have over your dog...
1.young dog no experience:Hunt more open areas and keep your dog search in front of you,make sure he checks things out thoroughly,walk slow and keep your dog close.
Look 20yds ahead of the dog to find the bunnies.
2.young dog,some experience,stops on whistle;have him search in front of you and watch his movement(he'll tell you when he found something),as soon as the bunny flushes blow a stop and shoot the bunny(but only if he stopped)sounds like work...it is but it pays off in the long run.
3.experienced dog;searches in front of you,indicates bunny found,stops to flush,you shoot bunny and dog retrieves to hand.
4;excellent dog;searches independently a bigger area,finds bunny,tracks bunny giving tongue(scent or sight loud),chases bunny in front of you,stops on whistle or your presence,you shoot bunny and dog retrieves bunny.Perfect dog for areas you dont want to crawl through.

Note of caution;wouldn't take a young dog in an area where there are lots of bunnies....all your training goes out the window in a matter of seconds.

Good luck!

4. - I do not have this Dog, so still must crawl through these areas. Adapted by having 12G w/ 1 1/8 (or more, depends on feeling of the day) #4 lead. At around 50 yards, it works like what to me, would be a .410 at around 21 yards (if this gun/shell combo paterns well in the .410). Works very well for many bunnies! Because you take the far ones first. Have patterns and (more importantly) SKILLS that work as well near and far and pick them from the outside in - Always the safest and easiest shots first.

Your note of caution? Anyone, do this if you can! It is so funny. The Dog becomes ridiculous, the hares or rabbits goes craise! And you just pick off what you can - Safely! If not just don't shoot and watch. Especially if you have not seen such an occurance prior!

In other news, I had a person I did not know from an airport stranger's Dog scare up rabbits for me before. It (the dog) was originally from up (bit north of) near F.S.J. From there this lil' savage beast had bounced from where it was at, had survived 6 months + in the bush before coming to a shelter (ran up to some Woman it took a shine to, she handed it over) and ended up in a pup shelter; being adopted, coming to Cranbrook.
Met it once before in same area (got info from the person with it).

The next time I saw this Dog was weeks later on a hill in the woods. It was scaring Hares up the hill toward me. When it made it up about halfway, he ran back to it's person who I could see on a trail almost a km away. They were gone by the time I worked my way down the small hill leading to a former Mule?wagon?skider?Jeep trail through a thicket.
That Dog was good for two Snowshoe Hare that day. It's been over a year now, haven't seen dog nor person. Got the Hares about 6 weeks after meeting the guy with it.

Really this is a very good and succinct method of describing Dog training. Excellent!