PDA

View Full Version : Radio rules

thedarts
11-03-2016, 05:11 PM
Hey all, long time lurker here! First I want to thank everyone for all the great posts, it really helps me when I get skunked to come home and see so many hunters killing it in BC.

But anyway I am going hunting this weekend and my partner and I want to bring walki talki's. I thought I remembered hearing that you can NOT use them to aid in your hunt. Is this true? Can I have one on my while hunting in case of emergency? What can't I say on the radio? I looked in the regs book but couldn't find anything

Thanks again and good luck out there

.308SLAYER
11-03-2016, 05:14 PM
Pretty sure your allowed to use radios...never have I could be wrong but I don't remember seeing anything stating no radios

Rhyno
11-03-2016, 05:15 PM
Hey all, long time lurker here! First I want to thank everyone for all the great posts, it really helps me when I get skunked to come home and see so many hunters killing it in BC.

But anyway I am going hunting this weekend and my partner and I want to bring walki talki's. I thought I remembered hearing that you can NOT use them to aid in your hunt. Is this true? Can I have one on my while hunting in case of emergency? What can't I say on the radio? I looked in the regs book but couldn't find anything

Thanks again and good luck out there

No prob....pretty sure it's not allowed for entry into the B&C record books, but as far as a legal standpoint go for it! Welcome to the site.

XPEIer
11-03-2016, 05:52 PM
We just had this discussion in moose camp and we could not find anything in the regulations other than under "direct supervision" you cannot use radio aids. So, I think you are good to go.

xpeier

thedarts
11-03-2016, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the reply guys!

Good luck out there.

albravo2
11-03-2016, 06:09 PM
Hell yeah, we've used 'em for years. No more wondering what those three shots meant.

Have fun, and welcome to the site.

Glenny
11-03-2016, 06:24 PM
Go ahead and use em. Never heard anything otherwise. Just a note use a sub/privacy channel, as an example channel 5.03 instead of 5. Keeps the chatter from other hunters down.

hoochie
11-03-2016, 07:07 PM
what type of radios are you guys using? what range do you get?

kendoo
11-03-2016, 07:59 PM
i was wandering the some say 25km some 35km some say 65km. they are all 2 watt are they not (fmrs) so whats the best without needing a license?

Fixit
11-03-2016, 08:35 PM
if you get them in the states they're 5 watts
we usually get 5-10kms if terrain is good, otherwise we have had as little as 1000ft

Bugle M In
11-04-2016, 12:45 AM
if you get them in the states they're 5 watts
we usually get 5-10kms if terrain is good, otherwise we have had as little as 1000ft

Some are...not all.
So, make sure you investigate the specs before purchasing.
Some guys like those Boufang's (spelling?), some are 7 watt.

ruger#1
11-04-2016, 12:59 AM
i was wandering the some say 25km some 35km some say 65km. they are all 2 watt are they not (fmrs) so whats the best without needing a license? You can program a Baofang 8 watt to go on FRS/GMRS. Don't get sucked into the 25km. 65km. Is not going to happen. Sounds good though. I have two Baofang GT3 Tri power radios. They work to good. Nice and clear reception. They have some waterproof models out also. These radios can also be programmed for logging truck traffic.