PDA

View Full Version : winches vs comealongs

jdmck
11-03-2016, 11:07 AM
I was in a spot the other day and realized if I got stuck back in the mud holes it would be a long hike out got rid of my winch years ago when I bought a new truck and was wondering what type of come alongs guys were using I would like a turfer jack but $$$$ almost the cost of a winch I have looked into a powerpuller from the states which might be more affordable and was looking for other options

BRvalley
11-03-2016, 11:20 AM
I use a 60" farm jack and 2x25' chain....little elbow grease has got me out of everything...also carry 150' of cable, comes in handy when I can't find a close enough tree/anchor

everything at princess auto cost about 400ish

allan
11-03-2016, 11:23 AM
If you get really stuck, a comealong is gonna be maxed out pretty quick.
You can get good used winches for less $500. I have a warn xd9000i, from Craigslist that came on a winch cradle.
It attaches to any two Inch receiver. I made custom leads out of a jumper cable and now it just gets thrown into whoevers vehicle needs it.
That would be my tool of choice plus an axe and a shovel.

BRvalley
11-03-2016, 11:23 AM
just looked up prices on a tirfor, pricey...

I'd buy a lewis winch before one of those

warnniklz
11-03-2016, 01:12 PM
I'd go new winch route then search garage sales and look online for a used come along.

wideopenthrottle
11-03-2016, 01:19 PM
I little tip I learned.....if your cable is too short, cut a couple of small trees and tie them in line to extend the reach out... a couple (or more) of 3-4 inchers 15-20 foot long and bob's your uncle

Mishka
11-03-2016, 01:20 PM
I just ordered the 3-ton Wyeth-Scott More Power Puller with Amsteel blue rope. Ordered it through eBay from the States because the shipping was cost was a bit better. I'm usually out on my own and I think this set up is going to be better than an electric winch fixed to my bumper.

albravo2
11-03-2016, 01:23 PM
I little tip I learned.....if your cable is too short, cut a couple of small trees and tie them in line to extend the reach out... a couple (or more) of 3-4 inchers 15-20 foot long and bob's your uncle

GREAT tip, I won't forget that one.

albravo2
11-03-2016, 01:26 PM
I had exactly the same feeling as the OP earlier this year. I keep a bunch of things in my truck to bail myself out of a tight spot but I lack a winch/comealong.

I found this at Costco: http://www.costco.ca/Champion-5443-kg-(12-000-lb.)-Winch-Kit.product.100245409.html

I will get a front mount trailer hitch mounted before my next trip out. I hate the steel cable, but don't plan to use this except in emergency.

jdmck
11-03-2016, 02:41 PM
I,m leaning towards the Wyeth Scott as I also spend a lot of time by myself tirfors are much to pricey

J_T
11-03-2016, 03:07 PM
I had exactly the same feeling as the OP earlier this year. I keep a bunch of things in my truck to bail myself out of a tight spot but I lack a winch/comealong.

I found this at Costco: http://www.costco.ca/Champion-5443-kg-(12-000-lb.)-Winch-Kit.product.100245409.html

I will get a front mount trailer hitch mounted before my next trip out. I hate the steel cable, but don't plan to use this except in emergency. I like that but.... I think the capacity on that (12,000lbs) is about what they weigh. I used to have a "portable" for a Dodge, with a hitch receiver on the front. Darn thing weighed over 200 lbs.

In my most recent build, I still have a built in receiver on the front of the truck but I went to a much smaller winch and a much more simple system of having it connected to the receiver. Less steel. If I'm really stuck, a tow truck will have to pull me out. Most of the 'rescue' gear I now carry, came as a result of not having it when I needed it.

Slinky Pickle
11-03-2016, 05:25 PM

I have run that exact winch on the rear of my Jeep for a number of years at it has done me well. I have a fixed Runva winch on the front and as much of people will say they wouldn't have anything but a Warn or Tulsa or other name brand, I use my winches regularly and I'm hard on them. If you look after them from time to time the lower cost ones are fine. My Runva has a wireless remote which is very handy. http://www.canadawinch.com/canada/index.htm

My theory on winches is that I always want two. The one on the front is for playing. Get stuck, go further, get stuck again, go further... etc. The one on the rear is for "Oh crap... I need to get out of this and go home." It's not often that a front mounted winch will get you out of a "hell hole". Very often, to get out of a bad situation, the best direction is to go backwards.

If you run power to the rear of your vehicle to run a rear mounted winch, ALWAYS use a disconnect/circuit breaker to supply power. If you land your vehicle on a rock and pin a power cable against the frame you can have a major issue. I leave my disconnect off all the time until I need to use the winch.

I've never heard of doing that it's just plain brilliant. I can almost guarantee that I will use that in the future.

Glenny
11-03-2016, 05:56 PM

Great tip for sure.

twoSevenO
11-04-2016, 02:15 PM
a real winch is the only way to go .... come along is a great idea in theory but in practice, especially if you are alone, not the best.

If you don't want to mount a winch, you can always have it on a plate that fits into the receiver hitch of your truck. At the back means you'll have to run some cables down the length of the vehicle. At the front means you'll have to add a hitch in the front.

Slinky Pickle
11-04-2016, 02:50 PM
I had an experience with my SxS one time where I needed to pull it forward and then pull it backwards. Just like my Jeep, I had it setup with two winches as well. A word of warning... it's a good idea to release the front line before you start winching the rear one in. If you leave both connected..... the vehicle just gets longer. :cry::confused::cry:

barry1974w
11-04-2016, 04:15 PM

works good, I've extended what I've had using this method to drag a couple moose out also

Squamch
11-07-2016, 07:52 AM
I had a champion winch on my first Toyota. It worked great testing, and using it for stuff around the yard like pulling engines, dragging dead trucks onto trailers, etc. they when it was needed to get a very stuck buddy out...no love.
The Runva units mentioned earlier have a good rep in aus, and anything the Aussies use, is pretty good gear, when your average wheeling trip could put you 1000km from anywhere you need dependable kit.
I keep a come a long in the truck all the time, but also have a warn 8274. The last winch I had on my wheeler was an 8274 with an upgraded (5hp instead of 2hp) motor, and a Runva contactor to replace the solenoids. The contactors are a great upgrade, more compact, and less likely to burn out than a 4 pack of solenoids. The motor just made it faster.

Another winch tip-some winches tend to continue to spool for a foot or two after you let off the switch. DON'T tap the switch the other way to stop it! That's a great way to cook your motor.

Also-winch maintenance: depending on your winch, it may need either oil or grease in the internals. An annual check, if not a full re-grease/fluid change, is a good idea. Discovering that the free spool lever is rusted and you have to power out 100' of cable sucks. If any parts on a warn are damaged, Lordco can get any single part for them.

Spokerider
11-07-2016, 08:41 AM
If you get really stuck, a comealong is gonna be maxed out pretty quick.
You can get good used winches for less $500. I have a warn xd9000i, from Craigslist that came on a winch cradle.
It attaches to any two Inch receiver. I made custom leads out of a jumper cable and now it just gets thrown into whoevers vehicle needs it.
That would be my tool of choice plus an axe and a shovel.

Allan,
I have a Ramsey 9000 winch that I intend to use the same way, as a receiver winch.
About the cables needed to use it on the rear of the truck..........what gauge cable did you use? And for the cable connectors, what did you use? My research indicates 2/0 cable for up to 450 amps, what my winch can draw at full load. Dang, those 2/0 cables are spendy, so I got some 1/0 cables at a good price. Just hope I never have to use full power pulling from the rear. 20ft 1/0 cables are good up to about 350 amps.

Slinky Pickle
11-07-2016, 09:34 AM
Allan,
About the cables needed to use it on the rear of the truck..........what gauge cable did you use? And for the cable connectors, what did you use? My research indicates 2/0 cable for up to 450 amps, what my winch can draw at full load. Dang, those 2/0 cables are spendy, so I got some 1/0 cables at a good price. Just hope I never have to use full power pulling from the rear. 20ft 1/0 cables are good up to about 350 amps.

You should be ok with 1/0. It's all about load over time. It's not like you're using it all the time and if it heats slightly once in a while it shouldn't be a big deal. The big thing is voltage loss over length so keep your cables as short as possible. I run 2/0 on both of mine (12,000 lb and 10,000 lb rated) and have never had an issue with wiring.

Just be sure to put in a disconnect for safety. I use one similar to the photo below. You can pick up the disconnect and connectors (shown below) at Lordco.

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mOKw3umV0zp0GsvyvZ3annw.jpg http://www.s-10crewcab.net/HenryJ/Avalanche/dualbattery/breaker.jpg

Spokerider
11-07-2016, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the reply Slimey.

Do you keep your 2/0 cables hard wired to your battery all of the time, and have them running to the rear of your truck? ......thus need for a safety disconnect?

I plan on using the Anderson-type connectors on the 20ft. 1/0 cables at each end, and only hooking them up to the battery in the engine bay and running back to the rear mounted winch only when needed. Other wise, the cables will be coiled up in a storage box, and so will the receiver winch for that matter.. I'll put short cables coming off the battery with an Anderson connector on them, and I'll put an Anderson connector on the winch power cables also. Do I still need a safety disconnect inline too?

Cutting the power [ in a relative hurry ] will be done by pulling the Anderson cable connectors apart under the hood.

Slinky Pickle
11-07-2016, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the reply Slimey.

Do you keep your 2/0 cables hard wired to your battery all of the time, and have them running to the rear of your truck? ......thus need for a safety disconnect?

I plan on using the Anderson-type connectors on the 20ft. 1/0 cables at each end, and only hooking them up to the battery in the engine bay and running back to the rear mounted winch only when needed. Other wise, the cables will be coiled up in a storage box, and so will the receiver winch for that matter.. I'll put short cables coming off the battery with an Anderson connector on them, and I'll put an Anderson connector on the winch power cables also. Do I still need a safety disconnect inline too?

Cutting the power [ in a relative hurry ] will be done by pulling the Anderson cable connectors apart under the hood.

Yes, I run mine to the rear permanently. When the motor shorts internally or the positive wire shorts out against something, you won't be pulling those disconnects by hand. DC current is a nasty thing and things go from fine to stupidly hot and melty in a hurry when those electrons find a path you don't expect. Personally, I've seen enough stuff welded together with 12vdc that I would not connect anything with that kind of current carrying capacity without a breaker or fuse. Just my CAN$0.02.

markomoose
11-07-2016, 09:30 PM
I run a tirfor with 100 feet of 3/8 cable.Way quicker than a come-along and 5 tons of pull.We use it to skin our moose.

Spokerider
11-08-2016, 09:33 AM
Sounds like good advice, I will incorporate a disconnect into the system.