PDA

View Full Version : Compound Bow for 10 Year Old??

Twig-Chaser
11-03-2016, 09:33 AM
My son has been asking almost every day for a new Bow for his upcoming 10th Birthday. He has a Canadian tire special re curve bow he wore out so has a little bit of experience.

I have zero knowledge of bows so hoping to get some advice.

He is a fairly strong average size very active out doors kid.

my questions are:

What is a draw weight that I should look for that he can draw and and a draw weight that will kill a deer when he is ready / able to.
It looks as thought there are adjustable draw lengths with some of the bows.. again what is a draw length that he can use for upcoming years and not have to purchase a larger one in a couple years (i know this depends on his size, but an average??)
Any recommendations for a decent starter bow?

Thank you

butcher
11-03-2016, 10:17 AM
I bought my kid the bear razer. Adjustable draw weight and length. Shoots pretty well with it.

tinhorse
11-03-2016, 10:18 AM
Both my kids have bows. I picked them up an atomic diamond, draw weight 6-29 lbs and draw length 12-24". My 7 year old daughter does very well with this one. Added a peep and got her a release. My 9 year old son has a Bear cruzer. It is an excellent bow. Weighs 3.6 lbs, draw weight from 5-70 lbs, draw length 12-30". It will last him as long as he likes. Shoots great and you can find them on sale often. comes as a package with whisker rest, and sites. Just bought a release and added a peep. This bow is great as they can grow with it and use it for hunting when they can pull the weights necessary.

BRvalley
11-03-2016, 10:32 AM
went shopping with a friend who bought his kid a PSE fever bow, was adjustable from 10-60 lbs, draw length was adjustable as well...haven't shot with them yet but I was told it's working out so far...there are a lot of highly adjustable bows out there, obviously going to a reputable store will go a long ways to fitting your son properly....google draw length calculator and then measure your son, will give you an idea what bows will work for him

as for minimum draw weight to hunt, wildlife act says 18kg or 40 lbs....most if not all adjustable youth bows will let your son grow into that as he advances

tomahawk
11-03-2016, 11:24 AM
My son has been asking almost every day for a new Bow for his upcoming 10th Birthday. He has a Canadian tire special re curve bow he wore out so has a little bit of experience.

I have zero knowledge of bows so hoping to get some advice.

He is a fairly strong average size very active out doors kid.

my questions are:

What is a draw weight that I should look for that he can draw and and a draw weight that will kill a deer when he is ready / able to.
It looks as thought there are adjustable draw lengths with some of the bows.. again what is a draw length that he can use for upcoming years and not have to purchase a larger one in a couple years (i know this depends on his size, but an average??)
Any recommendations for a decent starter bow?

Thank you

Do yourself a huge favor and take your son with you to a archery shop so that your questions can be answered. What others get for there child isn't necessarily good for yours as well as it might not work at all. You don't necessarily need to purchase from them but you'll get answers about what fits your son.

The only answer you can get right now from a forum is the draw weight that's legal to hunt in BC .........40lbs at his draw length!!

Stone Sheep Steve
11-03-2016, 11:32 AM
Diamond Infinite Edge. Fully adjustable draw weight and length.....as much adjustability as any growing person will need.

J_T
11-03-2016, 11:34 AM
I bought my kids recurve bows when they were starting out. We killed a lot of stumps in those early days of whitetail hunting. You know, you don't need a tag for a stump. But you can make a story up, just like an animal. Just fire away. Best action for a kid at any age.

dracb
11-03-2016, 11:53 AM
Best money I ever spent for my grandkids was buying them quality bows when they were 8 to 10 years old. Forest took to it in a big way and got to the point where he was shooting at bottle caps. Drove his much older brother and sister nuts when he out shot them at archery classes.

Take your boy shopping and look at what is available in several shops for quality equipment that will fit him now and as he grows. There are some light weight, small rigs out there that are made just for equipping kids.

Wild one
11-03-2016, 12:08 PM
Do yourself a huge favor and take your son with you to a archery shop so that your questions can be answered. What others get for there child isn't necessarily good for yours as well as it might not work at all. You don't necessarily need to purchase from them but you'll get answers about what fits your son.

The only answer you can get right now from a forum is the draw weight that's legal to hunt in BC .........40lbs at his draw length!!

This^^^ an actual bow shop not a box store

todbartell
11-03-2016, 12:55 PM
Nephew got a Diamond Infinite Edge when he was 8, he's now ten and shoots it quite well.

Newman
11-03-2016, 09:20 PM
Mathews Mission Craze !

dustybeat
11-04-2016, 12:34 AM
I have the diamond edge by bowtech and its really versatile. Im 5'-9" and 175lbs and i still cant max the draw length. Plus with a few turns of a allen key and some sight adjustment i can have my 8 and 9 year old nephews hitting the block at 20 yards.

allan
11-04-2016, 06:32 AM
Infinite diamond edge, I have two for my kids, one left hand and one right hand. The kids love the bows and they are adjustable from 5-70lbs, 10-30" I believe.

LupieHunter
11-04-2016, 08:04 AM
Another vote for the Diamond Infinite Edge. I've been shooting mine for a few years and it's an awesome bow.

Twig-Chaser
11-04-2016, 12:04 PM
Thank you everyone for the advice and recommendations! I will definitely look at these and also will take the advice and bring him in to the shop to be properly fitted.

Redo
11-04-2016, 11:08 PM
My son started with the Diamond Atomic and then moved onto the Infinite Edge. He is a small 11 year old and these bows have worked very well for him. I kind of like the Mission Craze because it has a shorter axel to axel than the infinite edge, but it was a little heavier. Diamond has a new bow, the Prism, which is adjustable to 55lbs and is available in some pretty cool colors. It looks a lot like the Infinite edge as now only the infinity edge pro is available.

11-04-2016, 11:25 PM
Diamond Infinite Edge. Fully adjustable draw weight and length.....as much adjustability as any growing person will need.

This. Bought one for my boy when he was 8 and bought one for myself too. Extreme adjustability, compact and accurate.